• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
It's same story every time. This smelled fishy from the start, but you had to know there was a good chance you'd be banned if you didn't toe the line.
None of us know what happened; however, in light of the way the story developed (20/20 hindsight and all), banning skeptics may have been unproductive.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
The frequency in which it comes up in this forum just leads me to believe a group of posters are paranoid that secretly everyone is alt-right/white supremacist/negative ideology of choice.
Secretly everyone? Get the fuck out. They are concerned that there are posters on this forum that exhibit similar right or right leaning views and calling that paranoia is basically gaslighting.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many other posters referred to the moderation in this topic, I wouldn't say that is me being paranoid.

This is exactly what I mean when it is used as an attack. What are you insinuating exactly?
that you were "led to believe" that some people secretly think everyone are alt-right/white supremacist/negative ideology of choice here. and that you're seeking clarification, what's wrong with that?

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
that you were "led to believe" that some people secretly think everyone are alt-right/white supremacist/negative ideology of choice here. and that you're seeking clarification, what's wrong with that?

I do believe there are posters who are like that here, yes. The "just asking questions" line is so weird to me, insinuating they are intentionally being devious in order to put forth a conservative viewpoint or whatever. Sometimes, people are just asking questions lol. Anyway this is getting off topic so that's all I'm going to say about it.

Oct 25, 2017
So it should be cool for some of you to doubt Jussie's story but when I express doubt about some of you, it's off base.

Funny how that shakes out.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
lol god damn if this ends up being a made up story this truly is on some Empire shit, we'll see. sometimes police just investigate this possibility to cover all bases (or due to their biases)

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 weeks): Inflammatory generalisation of Era members, hostility towards staff, account in junior phase.
This thread is fucking weird.

Something close to the truth will eventually come out, what's the rush?

One group seems to actually want someone to be the victim of a hate crime just to reinforce their "choice" to be a voice on the frontlines of our national conversation: the all-volunteer nintendo message board. Another is hoping to do that thing where they can say, "I knew this was shady, check my posts," but no one gives a shit. The mods are (rightfully) getting dunked on left and right for being controlling, obtuse weirdos, and I bet entremet has his hooks in somehow. Won't presume to speak for anyone else, but this isn't what I had in mind. The pettiness.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking weird.

Something close to the truth will eventually come out, what's the rush?

One group seems to actually want someone to be the victim of a hate crime just to reinforce their "choice" to be a voice on the frontlines of our national conversation: the all-volunteer nintendo message board. Another is hoping to do that thing where they can say, "I knew this was shady, check my posts," but no one gives a shit. The mods are (rightfully) getting dunked on left and right for being controlling, obtuse weirdos, and I bet entremet has his hooks in somehow. Won't presume to speak for anyone else, but this isn't what I had in mind. The pettiness.
u a genius.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
What's the timeline for the whole scenario, by the by? Like when did the attack get reported?

Jussie says he was attacked at around 2:00 am by the two men in ski masks. Sometime during this period, Jussie spoke with his manager about the attack. At 2:30 am the police were called and police arrived at 2:40 am to talk to Jussie. The footage police are investigating was taken at around 1:30-1:45 am.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
So it should be cool for some of you to doubt Jussie's story but when I express doubt about some of you, it's off base.

Funny how that shakes out.
Pretty much this.

Coming in hard on doubtinga persons story always feels like they have an agenda and if calling a black dude talking about racism a liar is your hill to die on i think you need to be okay with getting some side eye from everyone else. THis story is awful if it goes either way and black people will be the victims both ways, its a shit sandwich and im sad my city has to deal with both outcomes.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just an easy way to dismiss people's opinions without addressing the actual questions.
Correct, and this is a problem I think needs to be talked about more around here. I was banned for two weeks for simply explaining why I had doubts about this story from the very beginning. Several posters labeled me a racist who didn't want to see this gay black man as the victim he was.

No one throwing those unsubstantiated character assassination bombs at me was banned for doing so. As a person who sees every human as equal to another human, being accused of those things sucks. How does one even respond to accusations like that?

There is a reason there has been so much noise over this particular story possibly being fake, and while I fully acknowledge some of that noise is coming from Trump loons angry that this story had a MAGA reference attached to it, a great deal of the skepticism has come from people like me who have no ulterior motive behind their questions.

My two week ban is inconsequential in the big picture here, but what truly bothers me is the feeling that genuine curiosity or skepticism is being shut down if the topic of discussion is somehow deemed to be off limits. This isn't my forum, and I know I don't make the rules, but I really hope we eventually have a bigger discussion about how to better handle situations that might initiate some skepticism.

Last edited:

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this.

Coming in hard on doubtinga persons story always feels like they have an agenda and if calling a black dude talking about racism a liar is your hill to die on i think you need to be okay with getting some side eye from everyone else. THis story is awful if it goes either way and black people will be the victims both ways, its a shit sandwich and im sad my city has to deal with both outcomes.
Sometimes it has nothing to do with doubting a person because they are black or gay or anything else. I have no doubt there are tons of asshats in this country that would be happy to beat him for being black or gay. This story just always seemed really weird with the particular details. The timeline just never felt right.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I've only been loosely following this (basically just catching up with whatever they're saying on Good Morning America), but why is there suspicion that this was made up? It is highly unlikely that someone -- especially someone this high-profile -- would make something like this up.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really been following this since the very first story, but assuming this actually was faked in some way, is the idea now that the attack never even happened? Or did he actually get the shit beaten out of him but blamed it on MAGA guys?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This thread has been a ride.
I'm just waiting for the real facts to come out before I change my mind from my original reaction. As it stands, Jussie is still a victim but the circumstances surrounding the attack are now very interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only been loosely following this (basically just catching up with whatever they're saying on Good Morning America), but why is there suspicion that this was made up? It is highly unlikely that someone -- especially someone this high-profile -- would make something like this up.
There's suspicion now because it was reported that the attackers were white, shouted MAGA related statements, and randomly attacked Jussie. But now it appears the attackers are actually black, targeted Jussie specifically and then immediately flew out of the country. It's hard to target someone if you have no idea where/when they're going to be, but somehow these guys came upon him at 2:00am while he was on a spur of the moment trip to Subway. Regardless, we'll know more either way this evening when the police arrest the two men in question or release them. It's pointless to speculate until then given all the shit the media has gotten wrong from the start.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The attack never made a lick of sense to me. If it turns out Jussie was involved in his own attack, I would still feel bad for him but in a much different way

bubbles

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA/Thailand
I find it harder to believe he was beaten up by the cartoon-like characters he originally described. People like that pretty much don't exist in 2019. You will only believe this to be the case if you spend too much time living on the internet.

So what is more probable? That he lying about this, or even totally made it up? Or that the kind of boogiemen that intersectional twitter always rails against were in an upscale Chicago neighborhood carrying a noose and bleach while he came home from a midnight snack?

I at first thought he was beat up probably because something happened at a night club, or because drugs or money owed or something. Now I lean toward this being completely staged for some reason. However, I still would not be surprised if the two peoples arrested acted independently and this was over a personal matter.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it harder to believe he was beaten up by the cartoon-like characters he originally described. People like that pretty much don't exist in 2019. You will only believe this to be the case if you spend too much time living on the internet.

So what is more probable? That he lying about this, or even totally made it up? Or that the kind of boogiemen that intersectional twitter always rails against were in an upscale Chicago neighborhood carrying a noose and bleach while he came home from a midnight snack?

I at first thought he was beat up probably because something happened at a night club, or because drugs or money owed or something. Now I lean toward this being completely staged for some reason. However, I still would not be surprised if the two peoples arrested acted independently and this was over a personal matter.

A man went into a pizza shop and almost shot it up because the internet told them they were trafficking children.

saying it's far fetched is just ignoring all of the examples racist white people give this country every day

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine being so sheltered that you think this in 2019.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...elected-fbi-data-show/?utm_term=.c3de5f766c1c
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/08/16/african-americans/
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/13/18091646/fbi-hate-crimes-2017

Oct 27, 2017
I find it harder to believe he was beaten up by the cartoon-like characters he originally described. People like that pretty much don't exist in 2019.

From two nights ago:

el-paso-trump-rally_GRAY.jpg

That cartoon character being held back amidst all those other cartoon characters was attacking a cameraman because Trump just told him that the press are evil.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Amazing. What rock did you crawl out of?

bubbles

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA/Thailand
User Banned (Permanent): Denying the existence of racism
A man went into a pizza shop and almost shot it up because the internet told them they were trafficking children.

saying it's far fetched is just ignoring all of the examples racist white people give this country every day
This has nothing to do with race. Yes, there are crazy gullible people. You also ignore that this sort of racism is incredibly rare now. America does not really have these sort of lynchings any longer.

Had somebody throw something at him from a car or called him a slur, I would believe it. But you seem to fear that there are white people searching for non-white peoples to physically harm every hour of every day in ever place in America. Some people like this doubtlessly exist. They do not exist in numbers great enough to worry about.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with race. Yes, there are crazy gullible people. You also ignore that this sort of racism is incredibly rare now. America does not really have these sort of lynchings any longer.

Had somebody throw something at him from a car or called him a slur, I would believe it. But you seem to fear that there are white people searching for non-white peoples to physically harm every hour of every day in ever place in America. Some people like this doubtlessly exist. They do not exist in numbers great enough to worry about.

lmao. What a fucking stupid post.

Oct 29, 2017
Space

I'm just gonna laugh at this and move on with my life.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.

What a way to show yourself up. Enjoy that bubble.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes it has nothing to do with doubting a person because they are black or gay or anything else. I have no doubt there are tons of asshats in this country that would be happy to beat him for being black or gay. This story just always seemed really weird with the particular details. The timeline just never felt right.
Even if a situation feels fishy, and your first thought to a vitcim of some kind of assualt is "is dont think this is true" what do you get by just been an outward asshole to victims, other than some kind of vindication later.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...oose-around-black-classmates-neck/1385338002/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/27/us/portland-train-attack-muslim-rant.html

Yikes you dont know shit.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I swear some of you people would doubt the existence of gravity if a black person claimed something fell on them

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these persons of interest could be two Nigerian brothers that worked on set with Smollet? What a bunch of idiots if it's them.

Status
Not open for further replies.