• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
Watched the first episode and it's pretty good for a superhero show. I really like the mature themes and how it identifies real world political and economic issues, doesn't cop out with generic or vague terms.

Ulcus

Nov 3, 2017
I watched the show and yeah it felt generic. I didn't like the flashback parts of the show, I wish they stayed in the present even if I understand the need for origin stories.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Never heard of the book but watched it yesterday, it was alright and nothing special. Utonium and his Code were just terrible though. And def don't see Utonium vs Omni Man or Homelander comparisons, probably weakest superman imo.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't terrible, but super generic.
I don't get showing all of these super heroes with diverse powers but when they have to fight the "darkseid" dude they all just rush in to punch him and get their asses handed to them

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Finished the show, I kinda loved it, yeah the writing is kinda wonky, the actions scenes are rough, but the mystery of the flashbacks plus the code was interesting.

Loved how the action scenes looked like a power rangers show, but with a little more budget, though I don´t think that look was on purpose, still though, I laughed so much when the bad guy that they fight in the first episode uses his glasses lol.

The mystery of the flashbacks and the discussions the characters had about "the code" carried the show to me, the utopian is a deeply flawed character, but the way the show explores that I found it to be great, it has to be the best deconstruction of a straight superman character I have seen on a tv show (not counting comics or other media), since instead of just being what if superman was a psycho the character is more about how the responsibilities, character and morals of superman would probably leave a person being a husk of himself when trying to uphold it.

The show in general can be rough in some parts, so its honestly not for everyone, still I ended up loving it 8/10.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was ok but felt really stretched and they end it right when it gets interesting. Lol

Did not like how they handled the flashbacks. Would have preferred a dedicated episode or 2. We already knew the outcome so it was just boring seeing it stretched out just for them to touch a wall and thats it. I assume it was to keep the budget balanced.

I'll be down with a season 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching this last night. Only done 2 episodes so far and I like the premise, although I find the main old guy's hair and beard really fake looking. I think it's an interesting version of the 'Should Batman kill the Joker' question which gets thrown around. Will keep going with it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Spectromixer, you may as well retitle this topic to be the dedicated Jupiter's Legacy thread.

As someone who read the comic, I am shocked at how much of a slow-burn approach they are taking with this adaptation... but I have to say that I enjoyed every moment of it. Yes, it's not as genre-defining as The Boys is for superhero shows nor is it as heartfelt as Invincible is but it's definitely a show that has its own identity with its The Godfather Part II style of storytelling. I understand why a lot of people don't really like this show especially coming after Invincible but the numbers show that this show has been a success story for Netflix. This is definitely going to get a second season, and when it does, I really do hope that it's good enough to retroactively improve the first season.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Jupiter's Legacy will not continue as an ongoing series. With Netflix and Millar going in a different creative direction with the IP and the talent options soon expiring, the streamer has opted to let the high-profile cast, led by Josh Duhamel, Leslie Bibb and Ben Daniels, out of their commitments to the show.

"We're confident we'll return to it later," Millar said of Jupiter's Legacy, which could return in a different iteration, sources said.

but

Netflix has set a live-action adaptation of Supercrooks, which delves into the story of Millarworld's super-villains, as the next installment of the Jupiter's Legacy saga.

Netflix has an anime series adaptation of Supercrooks, the superpowered heist comic about eight super-villains written by Millar and drawn by Leinil Francis Yu, which will be released later this year.

per Deadline

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That was quick, can't say I'm too bothered, as I was pretty underwhelmed by it and didn't see much buzz, but I kinda expected it to get a chance at building on the first season.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Oh well, better luck next time, had a feeling this would happen, a hot take but I would sacrifice invincible for another season of this show lol.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I've still no idea why they thought it was a good idea to drag the first issue and 1/2 or so of the comic into the whole first season. Get to the good stuff asap.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
I Thought the show was pretty bad. My gf who likes everything didn't like it further confirming my thoughts. The whole build up to how they got their powers was weak. The show had promise but the writing was poor. the twist sucked in a
WWF (I'll never say E) heel turn kinda way. So you went into someone's mind, planted the guy your framing in there how exactly? Then he needed someone had to come in and rescue him. So if no one came to save him his plan would've been foiled?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I somehow made it through the first season, but yeah... don't give two fucks that it's been cancelled.

Also, I love how they made such a big thing of what they had to go through to get their powers. I've had weekend hikes more arduous!