• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the video I posted it becomes pretty clear what I mean.
No it isn't???

In the video you can clearly see the AI reacting to the existence of the player's projectiles. With the sword lions it's really obvious: they don't react until the projectile is fired, over halfway through the animation. Arrow guy is reacting pretty fast to be fair, but if you frame advance the video you can see that he doesn't dodge until the arrow has been in flight for multiple frames. The dance party is just reacting to the player rapid firing, so it's fruitless to try to tell when the actions end and the reactions begin.

Again, what exactly do you mean by "input reading"?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Look man I just feel like I would've been more wowed running into Astel's boss arena for Ranni's questline if I hadn't stumbled into another Astel hours prior in some random cave

The "random cave" version is much, much tougher and in an area that's presumably meant to be done way later. Its unfortunate if you navigate through the game in a way that has the harder quest-unrelated version first but that seems pretty unlikely. I didn't even find the latter cave (the one in the mountains I presume) until a friend asked to co-op it.

This is something they do in their games even with shorter and more linear paths. How many times in Sekiro do you fight Snakeeyes, Generals, Drunkard Juzou's, Headless, Guardian ape again, Two versions of Owl, The last boss literally throwing Genichiro at you again. Or a slightly different Monk fight, the long arm Centipede guy again etc.

Joseph is saying bosses can take well over 20 seconds before you can hit them. Which ones actually did anything like that? Spicy indeed.
he's literally spamming dodge rolls in a lot of the clips during openings or just wild panic :P

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Can you explain what you mean by "Input Reading"? Do you just mean that the AI's reaction times are too fast? I suppose that's debatable but you should probably just say that if it's the case.

If you mean it literally, as in the AI is actually "reading" your inputs from the controller, then you are just factually wrong.
It means the enemies automatically perform certain actions at the split second moment of you pressing the button, due to programming.

Crucible Knight will do his forward thrust the moment you hit a Flask of Crimson Tears, even if he isn't in range. That is input reading.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Combat balancing isn't a huge issue to me in Elden Ring. I love most games in this series, but aside from Sekiro I don't think the actual combat mechanics are all that great. Certainly not a scratch on Monster Hunter for instance, so the combat feeling a little off in terms of numbers doesn't really affect my enjoyment that much in the long run (as long as the animations and hit feedback are enjoyable, which they are in ER). The strength of Soulsbornekiroing (my apologies) combat imo is how seamlessly integrated it is into exploration. It feels like old school Castlevania or Zelda combat where you can flow from exploration, to fighting enemies, and then back to exploration at the drop of a hat without the game making a big deal about it, locking you arbitrarily into an arena, etc.

I mostly come to these games for their level design, environments, sense of exploration, and atmosphere - things they all do much far better than games that I would consider to have better combat. Elden Ring nails all of these at an absurd level for me with one of the most fascinatingly constructed worlds I've ever seen, secrets around every corner, heartbreakingly beautiful vistas at every turn, and maybe the grandest sense of raw ass adventure a game has ever given me.

Elden Ring's most transparent attempt at limiting the player's power is probably the smithing stone system. As long as you don't explore outside of a given boss' region, you simply won't find the smithing stones of the required level to upgrade your weapon to a point where your damage completely destroys them. You can pump stats all day, but it generally takes a lot of upgrades to make your weapon's scaling actually increase the damage by a significant amount purely based on stats. But obviously you can still end up with an absurd amount of health, and this doesn't really apply to magic where scaling isn't as limited by weapon upgrade level.

Ashes also feel pretty intended. You can tell they put a ton of work into how boss aggro works and how quickly and fluidly they can switch targets before attacking or while mid-combo. This isn't always the best balanced *glares at mimic* but I really don't think your meant to ignore the mechanic. Even with mimic, it took me several tries to beat a couple of the late game bosses because all it takes to kill you is an aggro switch and two mistimed rolls to get two-shotted.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Most players won't experience recycled content, at least not in the amount that Souls veterans and more "hardcore gamers" will.

I really can't believe people take this as a flaw. A large chunk of that stuff is optional, you really don't have to do it, but you're bothered that it's there?

In a game with 170 boss encounters, you are mad because some are recycled? So you would rather they weren't there? Even though you don't need to fight them? And some people enjoy every encounter, why would you take away the fun from them lol?
I can't take that as valid criticism, it's so silly.

Bethesda and Ubisoft games get criticized for recycled content. I don't get why ER has to be exempt from that criticism.

Even recent better received Ubi-style games like Horizon Forbidden West or Ghost of Tsushima got rightfully criticized for their repeated/recycled content.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched this but I thought this was pretty universally accepted as true? If a boss consistently attacks the instant I press the estus button to interrupt me I'm pretty sure they're reading my inputs.
Seems more a distance cue. They'll usually do the same thing if you just make space. The bosses are designed around challenging the standard DeS meta gaming. Which some people just can't adapt to.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
His 5 main critical points are pretty much spot on. You could maybe argue regarding exploration rewards but due to the amount of different builds, a lot of the stuff you find will feel pretty unrewarding.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The "random cave" version is much, much tougher and in an area that's presumably meant to be done way later. Its unfortunate if you navigate through the game in a way that has the harder quest-unrelated version first but that seems pretty unlikely. I didn't even find the latter cave (the one in the mountains I presume) until a friend asked to co-op it.

If I recall correctly the cave is one of those glintstone mines visible on the map and I always made a beeline to those when I could see them because they always gave upgrade materials and a sizable reward. It just feels deflating to have this big moment with a lot of buildup to a seemingly-unique, god-level boss robbed of its impact because I did things in a different order than I "was supposed to."

Like yeah, the hazards of open world design. Maybe let thematically significant bosses with a lot of buildup be unique then?

I mean, that's on you

Yes, it's my fault for playing the game in a different order and not realizing I could progress Ranni's quest until later. I should've used my ESP to play it the right way.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Look man I just feel like I would've been more wowed running into Astel's boss arena for Ranni's questline if I hadn't stumbled into another Astel hours prior in some random cave

I mean, that's on you, most people will run into the Astel in Ranni's questline before the one in the Consecrated Snowfield (which they might not fight at all since it's an optional endgame area), but I'd say both fights are cool. Not the best in the game, but still impressive, and I didn't have a problem fighting him twice, actually enjoyed it.

Also, the game has more than enough unique fights that are spectacular enough that I don't mind the recycled stuff.
But sure, if you have a problem with that, there's nothing I can say to persuade you to think differently.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how you can have such an issue with what you can and can't jump (pretty sure most ground AOE can be ie. Crucibles, Hoarah, Godrick) while claiming Bloodborne is this immaculate combat with its parry system which is so integral that learning how to parry enemies will probably get you killed.

If I recall correctly the cave is one of those glintstone mines visible on the map and I always made a beeline to those when I could see them because they always gave upgrade materials and a sizable reward. It just feels deflating to have this big moment with a lot of buildup to a seemingly-unique, god-level boss robbed of its impact because I did things in a different order than I "was supposed to."

I had that with the red wolf of Radagon which I saw elsewhere first, but at the same time I get why mini bosses are, just like their other games, used more than once. Doubly so in a game that actually did have more reason to do so with a massive world where you can actually easily miss some of the encounters.

Last edited:

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The bosses read input nonsense, unpredictable Bosses attacks etc.,
"game encourages trading" yeah man that's why I've beaten every boss at rl1 no damage w. fairly Fast kills.

Ive never been team gitgud, but I'm deffo on the "get educated before taking shit" side of the fence. Guy just seems like he doesn't want to use ash, but does want to complain that the game doesn't scale down to his level? If he doesn't know how to deal with the longer attack strings/ bait favourable attacks, that is on him.
You're smoking if you can't tell the input reading LMAO

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
It means the enemies automatically perform certain actions at the split second moment of you pressing the button, due to programming.

Crucible Knight will do his forward thrust the moment you hit a Flask of Crimson Tears, even if he isn't in range. That is input reading.
If I was controlling the boss and I saw the player start to chug a flask, I would try to hit them too, even if I wasn't 100% sure my attack would reach.

Again, is your issue that the AI is reacting too fast? That's a reasonable complaint, or at least an arguable one. "Input reading" taken literally is absolute nonsense.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
His 5 main critical points are pretty much spot on. You could maybe argue regarding exploration rewards but due to the amount of different builds, a lot of the stuff you find will feel pretty unrewarding.

I could argue all of his main critical points and do it all day?
They are spot-on for you, but not everyone.
Like, videos like these are fine, but please, let's not start taking opinions as facts.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
if Dark Souls came out now the same people would spend all their time complaining about the capra demon being a bad fight, getting poisoned and having your hp halved being bad game design and Ornstein and Smough being bullshit unfair bosses

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Can relate. I loved the game up to and including the capital city. Immediately lost interest after that.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017

Like yeah, the hazards of open world design. Maybe let thematically significant bosses with a lot of buildup be unique then?

Yes, it's my fault for playing the game in a different order and not realizing I could progress Ranni's quest until later. I should've used my ESP to play it the right way.

Well yes, the fact that you went ahead into later endgame areas of the game (which are closed off) and then went back to do content that is placed in the earlier areas made that same content not as challenging or impressive is on you?
Not like you could have known, but it is what it is.
Just like in any JRPG, too much exploration can make you overpowered and "ruin" certain parts of the game tied to the story. It's nothing new, no reason to get mad, it happens.

Also, Astel is tied to a sidequest, not the main quest, and that same sidequest has several unique bosses (Radahn, the dragon Adula, and Blaidd, even though he isn't a boss in the classical sense, it is a completely unique encounter).

AnnoyinSwami

Oct 30, 2017
I do agree with much of the video especially how replaying the game oddly feels less sastifying this time around despite how the game is actually much more open and varied than previous entries. I'm on my second playthrough right now and am getting the itch to go back to Dark Souls 3 even though I've played that game to death. I don't think the combat is quite as fundamentally flawed as he says though.

One thing I appreciate about this game is that for the first time in a while (discounting Sekiro) it feels like From have designed the game around using as many of the tools availiable to the player as possible. Using consumables and ranged options have become more necessary and as such have been buffed massively this time around (especially bows which for the first time actually feel enjoyable to play with.)

I do think tweaking still needs to be done, I think staggering bosses should actually be made a bit easier at least for colossal weapons and some bosses should have ways to mitigating certain attacks that seem unavoidable. For example I think Melania's whirlwind attack should be interruptable by more throwables, currently only one seems to work and frankly it does feel a bit jank when it does. It almost seems set up for this as her windup for the attack is pretty high.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If I was controlling the boss and I saw the player start to chug a flask, I would try to hit them too, even if I wasn't 100% sure my attack would reach.

Again, is your issue that the AI is reacting too fast? That's a reasonable complaint, or at least an arguable one. "Input reading" taken literally is absolute nonsense.
it's reading inputs. If you don't think that I'm not sure what else anyone can say to you.

You can use a slow casting spell and realize the enemies just dodge way before you shoot a projectile. They literally dodge because you press a button. Not because you threw something at them.

In a game that buffers inputs, input reading is not nonsense at all. Your "if I was a boss argument" is silly man, come on now lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think programming an enemy to dodge ranged attacks is really all that scandalous. Yes it's technically reading inputs, but not in the way that people typically complain about (e.g., fighting game AI interrupting your attacks with a faster one as soon as you hit the button).

I mean, how do people think AI reacts to the player in a video game? They have to take into account the player's actions, and it's really a matter of making sure it seems fair to the player. Having to be at a certain distance to heal safely in a bossfight adds challenge, but it's a predictable challenge so I think it would be hard to argue that it's unfair. It can definitely be frustrating, but no shit you're playing a souls game.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

There's way more than two of those centipedes, most are just hanging from cave ceilings firing rocks at you. So I take it they're kind of an "animal" in this world that likes to live in caves (Even though they come from space?) ... I don't really mind enemies like that being repeated. Unless I'm mistaken, Astel doesn't really relate to Ranni's story in any way, it just happens to be in your way.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The comment on Godricks whirlwind.... where to start.
The first hit is quick, yes, that's why it does next to no damage. The problem with stating that its "impossible to avoid being hit" is that its accompanied by a clip where hes 2 handing while not guarding, standing right up in Godricks face to the point of touching him. If you have played any Dark Souls you know that's just weird. With the wild panic rolling, complaining about unavoidable attacks that are clearly telegraphed... I don't feel like some people ever really engage with these games in a way that makes any sense to me if they have played them all and still doing this.

Ludwig, one of the better Bloodborne bosses, has a fast retreating move that is afaik impossible to punish. Godricks little gust of wind means he's going to do one of two easily reactible followups depending on spacing. As long as fast moves do minimal damage, its a positive addition to making a bossfight intense imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gitrektali

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think programming an enemy to dodge ranged attacks is really all that scandalous. Yes it's technically reading inputs, but not in the way that people typically complain about. I mean, how do people think AI reacts to the player in a video game? They have to take into account the player's actions, and it's really a matter of making sure it seems fair to the player. Having to be at a certain distance to heal safely in a bossfight adds challenge, but it's a predictable challenge so I think it would be hard to call it unfair. It can definitely be frustrating, but no shit you're playing a souls game.
Where was I complaining about it, or calling it unfair? The OP said the game doesn't read inputs, and I showed them an example that it does. I didn't say it was a good or bad thing, a lot of games read your input, and it's how you mask it that matters.

Oct 25, 2017
Where was I complaining about it, or calling it unfair? The OP said the game doesn't read inputs, and I showed them an example that it does. I didn't say it was a good or bad thing, a lot of games read your input, and it's how you mask it that matters.
I wasn't arguing against you just reacting to the clip and the general idea of "input reading" as a problem.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
it's reading inputs. If you don't think that I'm not sure what else anyone can say to you.

You can use a slow casting spell and realize the enemies just dodge way before you shoot a projectile. They literally dodge because you press a button. Not because you threw something at them.

In a game that buffers inputs, input reading is not nonsense at all. Your "if I was a boss argument" is silly man, come on now lol.
If you're so sure then show some proof. The video posted in this thread shows the opposite: The enemies react to the existence of the projectile, not the button press or even the animation that spawned it.

Do you think it's somehow unreasonable for the AI to react to what the player is doing right in front of them?

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I could argue all of his main critical points and do it all day?
They are spot-on for you, but not everyone.
Like, videos like these are fine, but please, let's not start taking opinions as facts.

Let's not start quoting opinion posts as taking opinions as facts.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, the fact that you went ahead into later endgame areas of the game (which are closed off) and then went back to do content that is placed in the earlier areas made that same content not as challenging or impressive is on you?
Not like you could have known, but it is what it is.
Just like in any JRPG, too much exploration can make you overpowered and "ruin" certain parts of the game tied to the story. It's nothing new, no reason to get mad, it happens.

Also, Astel is tied to a sidequest, not the main quest, and that same sidequest has several unique bosses (Radahn, the dragon Adula, and Blaidd, even though he isn't a boss in the classical sense, it is a completely unique encounter).

My complaint isn't that I was overpowered for maingame Astel. It's that repeating Astel for a cave in a separate area made the moment I was "supposed" to fight them less impactful purely from a narrative standpoint. Running into a Lovecraftian god after descending further and further through multiple zones for hours as the climax to a sidequest that gives you a separate ending is just a bit more impressive than going a bit too far and running into one in a cave.

I'm fine with making earlier-placed content trivial. I just felt like the boss reuse for what feels like it should be a completely unique encounter made it less cool when I found it the way I was "supposed to."

I wasn't even upset when it happened in-game, just disappointed. Being told I'm wrong over and over and it's my fault for playing an open world game in the wrong order is kind of frustrating though.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
The comment on Godricks whirlwind.... where to start.
The first hit is quick, yes, that's why it does next to no damage. The problem with stating that its "impossible to avoid being hit" is that its accompanied by a clip where hes 2 handing while not guarding, standing right up in Godricks face to the point of touching him. If you have played any Dark Souls you know that's just weird. With the wild panic rolling, complaining about unavoidable attacks that are clearly telegraphed... I don't feel like some people ever really engage with these games in a way that makes any sense to me if they have played them all and still doing this.

Yeah, this video is really not a good look. I see people waiting for some of his videos for months, and this one came out kinda fast, so I'm guessing it's rushed because he clearly didn't think stuff through and is being negative only for the sake of aimless criticism.

Some of this stuff is beyond nitpicking, and people that disliked the game will probably latch onto it like it's some gospel or something.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think programming an enemy to dodge ranged attacks is really all that scandalous. Yes it's technically reading inputs, but not in the way that people typically complain about (e.g., fighting game AI interrupting your attacks with a faster one as soon as you hit the button).

I mean, how do people think AI reacts to the player in a video game? They have to take into account the player's actions, and it's really a matter of making sure it seems fair to the player. Having to be at a certain distance to heal safely in a bossfight adds challenge, but it's a predictable challenge so I think it would be hard to argue that it's unfair. It can definitely be frustrating, but no shit you're playing a souls game.

I mean, there are degrees to it.

You press the heal button -> input buffers -> your character starts the heal animation -> opponent notices -> opponent presses the attack button -> opponent's input buffers -> opponent attack begins

Versus

You press the button -> AI "presses" the attack button -> your input is still buffering, while AI attack animation has already started

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I like that bosses can mix up their strings depending on what you're doing, makes it feel like a more dynamic battle.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, this is absolutely true. Not all of them, but it's clear and obvious as day at some moments.

The crucible knights ALWAYS do that dash thrust the exact moment you press the button to flask.

Its not always tbh. I watched someone do the first Evergaol where you first find one of them 2 days ago and on the 4-5 attempts before he gave up, his flask was not punished with the thrust once. I was surprised because he was fucking me up with that when I played, but it does seem to have parameters outside of if->then.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
e2a1bcbbab71216e0d17a6eedb6060fc.png

just a meme plz dont rage at me like you are raging at the dude who made the video

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't???

In the video you can clearly see the AI reacting to the existence of the player's projectiles. With the sword lions it's really obvious: they don't react until the projectile is fired, over halfway through the animation. Arrow guy is reacting pretty fast to be fair, but if you frame advance the video you can see that he doesn't dodge until the arrow has been in flight for multiple frames. The dance party is just reacting to the player rapid firing, so it's fruitless to try to tell when the actions end and the reactions begin.

Again, what exactly do you mean by "input reading"?
The blade lions do input read though, at least on certain actions, it's why rock sling owns them cuz they react to the rocks spawning but get hit anyway once they're flung, usually just standing there to get hit. So instances like that make it feel more artificial and while I personally didn't mind it I can see how other players might be bothered by it considering the regard they hold for some of the prior games.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If you're so sure then show some proof. The video posted in this thread shows the opposite: The enemies react to the existence of the projectile, not the button press or even the animation that spawned it.

Do you think it's somehow unreasonable for the AI to react to what the player is doing right in front of them?
That's not true for all the enemies.Using the meteorite spell will disprove this in most occasions. You will almost always hit them. They are reacting to the input and not the projectile in most cases.

I don't need to prove anything. There are vids out there and plenty of people who played the game who are literally telling you.

Some enemies are definitely designed to punish your inputs.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I think it's unavoidable to some degree though in some situations they may have overdone it a bit in ER.

It'll definitely vary from player to player how much it bothers them.

The player is not right in front of them though. The player is casting at wall and the enemies don't even have vision and yet they both react at the exact same time with their dodge. Also at some point you're just arguing semantics because ultimately everything is a reaction to the player. If an enemy reacts the moment you hit the button then that is practically just reading inputs.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
My complaint isn't that I was overpowered for maingame Astel. It's that repeating Astel for a cave in a separate area made the moment I was "supposed" to fight them less impactful purely from a narrative standpoint. Running into a Lovecraftian god after descending further and further through multiple zones for hours as the climax to a sidequest that gives you a separate ending is just a bit more impressive than going a bit too far and running into one in a cave.

I'm fine with making earlier-placed content trivial. I just felt like the boss reuse for what feels like it should be a completely unique encounter made it less cool when I found it the way I was "supposed to."

I wasn't even upset when it happened in-game, just disappointed. Being told I'm wrong over and over and it's my fault for playing an open world game in the wrong order is kind of frustrating though.

I never said you were wrong, just that it happens, and maybe you should acknowledge it as something most people won't experience in the same way you did.

Also, Astel really doesn't have a ton of meaning connected to Ranni's quest, he's more of a location boss, to give more context to Nokron and Nokstella, and there are more enemies similar to him, not just the two bosses, meaning they are probably a part of an alien race that came out of space and ended up there. I'm simplifying it a bit, but you get it.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Joseph Anderson is a youtube critic who built his channel on long, very engaged, thorough critiques of games, who for the past 5 years or so has gradually morphed into more and more of a parody of himself where his "criticism" consists of literal hours of identifying "plot holes" and "balance problems" with his nose so close to the trees that he seems totally unaware that there might be a forest. It's like reading a 200-page book review where someone spends the entire length going, "why did the author use 'teal' here? wouldn't 'cyan' have been preferable?" and "In this scene, Teddy is surprised to find his sister eating breakfast in his house—however, given that it was morning, what meal did he expect her to be eating?"

it is perturbing to me that his genre of video is considered the more "academic" wing of the video criticism that has supplanted essays and long reviews.

Have no clue whether this is true or not of Anderson but this was a very funny characterization of a certain type of critic. well done

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there are degrees to it.

You press the heal button -> input buffers -> your character starts the heal animation -> opponent notices -> opponent presses the attack button -> opponent's input buffers -> opponent attack begins

Versus

You press the button -> AI "presses" the attack button -> your input is still buffering, while AI attack animation has already started
I agree. From has failed to mask some of their enemy reactions well enough and people are rightly frustrated by that.

On the other hand, the game is telling people very clearly "don't heal in this range" and I know I learned that lesson quick.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
1. Late game boss design
2. Level balancing in the open world
3. Some recycled content
4. Boring "shrine style" dungeons
5. Poor exploration rewards
3 and 4 kind of have to happen because of the size of the game and especially for 4 I don't know of a better alternative. 5 I def disagree with as well.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, this video is really not a good look. I see people waiting for some of his videos for months, and this one came out kinda fast, so I'm guessing it's rushed because he clearly didn't think stuff through and is being negative only for the sake of aimless criticism.

Some of this stuff is beyond nitpicking, and people that disliked the game will probably latch onto it like it's some gospel or something.
If he was doing nothing but praising the game would you be saying this...? Would he need more time than the people who were calling it a masterpiece after 3 days of release?

I see it as a solid critique; incredibly high highs, and surprisingly low lows.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true for all the enemies.Using the meteorite spell will disprove this in most occasions. You will almost always hit them. They are reacting to the input and not the projectile in most cases.

I don't need to prove anything. There are vids out there and plenty of people who played the game who are literally telling you.

Some enemies are definitely designed to punish your inputs.
You're the one making a ridiculous claim, so yes, you do need to prove it. If there are videos out there then show one.

Status
Not open for further replies.