• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Ask yourself why your idea of my perspective bothers you so much. I didn't even mention Ben Shapiro.
Because a lot of people pick up various political beliefs and hold them inconsistently, and centrists hold some pretty abhorrent beliefs as well. That doesn't make them right-wingers, and I brought up Ben Shapiro as an example of a right-winger. I am in no way trying to defend the fuckhead, so stop clumping me in with him.

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh though, the way you all use the phrase "cancel culture" in this thread goes entirely over my head. Most threads people say it doesn't exist, now they're saying he's canceling himself. I don't get it. I can't follow all the meming and understand the point anyone is trying to make anymore. Really feel I've lost the thread on the cancelling stuff. It's in this state of superposition where people say it exists depending on the argument they're trying to make.
Cancel culture is a loaded term with the intent to silence leftists using their free speech to deplatform bigots, and when boiled down to its essential parts without the political baggage the term carries (not attending a conference because you disagree with it) J Blow is being a huge hypocrite because he's doing the thing he's upset that progressives do. He's free to do so of course, but nobody would be mocking him if he didn't feel free to do this thing he doesn't like leftists doing himself.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
He always seemed obnoxious and so far up his own ass. No loss to any conference that he doesn't attend.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Cancel culture is a loaded term with the intent to silence leftists using their free speech to deplatform bigots, and when boiled down to its essential parts without the political baggage the term carries (not attending a conference because you disagree with it) J Blow is being a huge hypocrite because he's doing the thing he's upset that progressives do. He's free to do so of course, but nobody would be mocking him if he didn't feel free to do this thing he doesn't like leftists doing himself.
But there's a distinction from someone being forcibly removed from attending a conference, and someone choosing to not attend the conference. Like those are different things so I don't get you. His dickhead buddy got kicked out or whatever - it's not like people just said they wouldn't attend his talk or something.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like an easy way to keep him out of your conferences without officially telling him to screw. Please proceed.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much comes across that Braid was a such a precious project for him that he really should have just kept the fucking thing private and away from both public praise and criticism.

He could have been rational and pragmatic, taking the responses as a lesson in how to improve or get his 'actual message' across to the plebs going forward. Learning, listening, adapting. Like an adult. A mature individual. Sussing out what could have been tweaked, adjusted, to maybe make the intent more clear for next time. Or just have been pleased and humbled that his work satisfied and impressed on so many even for reasons beyond his own expectations and desires.

Instead he chose to be an internet asshole.

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
But there's a distinction from someone being forcibly removed from attending a conference, and someone choosing to not attend the conference. Like those are different things so I don't get you. His dickhead buddy got kicked out or whatever - it's not like people just said they wouldn't attend his talk or something.
Considering cancel culture is right wingers and centrists upset about the act of boycotting and delegitimizing (which is what J Blow is doing), I don't think there's all that big a distinction.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 90% sure that the irony is intentional here. This is an attempt at "Oh you think cancelling is good huh? Well let's see how you like it when I cancel you".

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
Considering cancel culture is right wingers and centrists upset about the act of boycotting and delegitimizing (which is what J Blow is doing), I don't think there's all that big a distinction.
No no I get you on that similarity. But in one case, someone was actively prevented from going somewhere i.e. a gate was put in their path (rightfully to be clear). In another case someone chose not to attend. For me I think there's totally a difference between "No you can't come here" and "I don't want to be there".

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate Armchair Diagnosis
For those who don't recognize the name, Jonathan Blow is the creator of two of some of the most acclaimed indie games of their time, Braid and The Witness. While I think opinions on Braid have lowered a bit over the years (Mario but Sad), I still see The Witness being held up as a marvel of immersive puzzle game design years after the fact.

Mr. Blow is also a piece of shit, a fact that I feel gets glossed over a bit because of the high praise for the previously mentioned titles. People start to realize this any time they hear him speak after a while, considering the only tone he seems to know is condescending, but this is underscored by the time he tried to argue women were biologically less interested in tech than men, equated anti-fascism with terrorism, and currently noted by him tweeting COVID19 conspiracy theories.

Mr. Blow is having a bit of a moment right now as he has decided that, despite barely making any appearance at conferences in recent years, he has decided he will no longer appear at any conference that succumbs to "cancel culture style pressure" to remove participants.

While he doesn't spell out exactly what set him off on this course in his twitter thread, a bit of likely background behind why:

Programmer and noted police-apologist Uncle Bob Martin was apparently invited to speak at some dev conference in Chicago this month, but was disinvited when it was brought to the attention of the organizers that Uncle Bob has a tendency to post racist stuff, like posting negatively about BLM or black people in general, excusing police actions against the protests (only ever referred to as riots by him), retweeting Fox News, and unironically posting about 1984 and "wrong think" (and also pulls out the "debate me" card) when people try to challenge him on anything.

Apparently this didn't sit well with Jon, who feels that "cancel culture" is being driven by people getting over-offended at small differences of opinion and risks destroying the ability for "engineers" to solve all of the world's problems, because apparently we're too busy cancelling the smart people who will fix everything because they're racist to actually solve things ourselves.

However, before the arbiters of cancel culture were able to come for him for all the "small differences of opinion" he's shared over the years, he has decided to preemptively cancel himself in order to claim the moral high ground, framing it as proof of his conviction of his beliefs against cancel culture. He's just, you know, also calling for a collective of people to do the same in order to pressure conferences to change, which by the way is totally different from cancel culture.

I'm almost a little saddened to see just how far this guy has fallen, considering I have quite fond memories of Braid and it being part of that initial wave of "indie" that got me more interested in the game dev side of the industry, but I don't see how I could ever support any project with some tangible connection to Blow anymore. Dude is just actively a piece of shit now.

Edit: I see I was a few minutes slow on the draw on my thread, but yeah, dude is just trying to preempt the day "cancel culture" comes for him when people put together all the absolute trash he's spouted over the years.

Thank you for that. I do think he may suffer from something like Aspberger, highly intelligent but socially awkward.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Braid and The Witness were such impressive games. It's a damn shame that Blow blows. He's a sexist asshole.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't recognize the name, Jonathan Blow is the creator of two of some of the most acclaimed indie games of their time, Braid and The Witness. While I think opinions on Braid have lowered a bit over the years (Mario but Sad), I still see The Witness being held up as a marvel of immersive puzzle game design years after the fact.

Mr. Blow is also a piece of shit, a fact that I feel gets glossed over a bit because of the high praise for the previously mentioned titles. People start to realize this any time they hear him speak after a while, considering the only tone he seems to know is condescending, but this is underscored by the time he tried to argue women were biologically less interested in tech than men, equated anti-fascism with terrorism, and currently noted by him tweeting COVID19 conspiracy theories.

Mr. Blow is having a bit of a moment right now as he has decided that, despite barely making any appearance at conferences in recent years, he has decided he will no longer appear at any conference that succumbs to "cancel culture style pressure" to remove participants.

While he doesn't spell out exactly what set him off on this course in his twitter thread, a bit of likely background behind why:

Programmer and noted police-apologist Uncle Bob Martin was apparently invited to speak at some dev conference in Chicago this month, but was disinvited when it was brought to the attention of the organizers that Uncle Bob has a tendency to post racist stuff, like posting negatively about BLM or black people in general, excusing police actions against the protests (only ever referred to as riots by him), retweeting Fox News, and unironically posting about 1984 and "wrong think" (and also pulls out the "debate me" card) when people try to challenge him on anything.

Apparently this didn't sit well with Jon, who feels that "cancel culture" is being driven by people getting over-offended at small differences of opinion and risks destroying the ability for "engineers" to solve all of the world's problems, because apparently we're too busy cancelling the smart people who will fix everything because they're racist to actually solve things ourselves.

However, before the arbiters of cancel culture were able to come for him for all the "small differences of opinion" he's shared over the years, he has decided to preemptively cancel himself in order to claim the moral high ground, framing it as proof of his conviction of his beliefs against cancel culture. He's just, you know, also calling for a collective of people to do the same in order to pressure conferences to change, which by the way is totally different from cancel culture.

I'm almost a little saddened to see just how far this guy has fallen, considering I have quite fond memories of Braid and it being part of that initial wave of "indie" that got me more interested in the game dev side of the industry, but I don't see how I could ever support any project with some tangible connection to Blow anymore. Dude is just actively a piece of shit now.

Edit: I see I was a few minutes slow on the draw on my thread, but yeah, dude is just trying to preempt the day "cancel culture" comes for him when people put together all the absolute trash he's spouted over the years.

Oh I didn't know he hadn't deleted all of his Covid-truther tweets.

All I had left were two tweets that still had their previews working on Discord.

FEDcTnT.png

B5Peh9Z.png

I really should have screencapped his megathread when I had the chance.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but he takes a long time to make games and is also working on other things.

I certainly think Blow's take on this is silly, but hey, it's his decision. If he wants to self-exile over cancel-culture, it's a self-own, but he can do it.
Don't worry, he'll get faster once he hooks up his piss bottle.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
It's always the assholes that are gifted.
Gifted non-assholes are pushed out of the industry, for one talented assholes in a big studio, many potential talent are pushed out by this same guy method and the fact that he is cherished.
And then he take under his wing another talented asshole like him, and that's how we end with rotten industries

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I support this.

Cancel culture continues to prevent opportunities for people to grow.

Except Bob Martin isn't going to grow or lack opportunities stemming from this. He got disinvited from ONE conference out of many, and instead of reflecting on his own actions he focused on that of others as usual.

Even if cancel culture was real he is absolutely positively not cancelled.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I support this.

Cancel culture continues to prevent opportunities for people to grow.
"Cancel culture" isn't a thing.

It's a phrase used by people who can't (or usually, won't) see where they or others have gone wrong, and instead decide to blame it on people on the other side as a "mob" who "disagrees" with their shitty takes. It's a dogwhistle call to ignorance and inaction, and more often than not it's a desperate bid to preserve a terrible status quo. Pass it on.

Jun 13, 2020
It's cute that he assumes people care about what he has to say. Why would he think this can constitute a threat of any kind?