• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Lawrence Sher is one cinematographer to watch! Damn this looks so good. He's doing Godzilla: King of the Monsters as well.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Zazie Beetz smiles*

I'm sold.

(Outside of that, this looks ok. Probably wouldn't pay to watch it otherwise)

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
This is so completely bizarre given the comic book film landscape right now, it's presented as some weird auteur arthouse film starring Joaquin but at the same time I know it's a film about the Joker and it's just ahhh I want to watch it so badly.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that actually looks good. I though the plot synopsis/leaks were a bit dull, but it might turn out to be better on the screen than on paper. Phoenix always brings his A game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't know man. Some parts look legit interesting, others kinda remind of those fan-made superhero movies. Not really feeling the need to make Joker relatable, but the character seems solid. I'll be waiting for reviews on this one.

YEA, SAME. Like the performance looks good, but the actual direction of the film, I don't know. Like will he get scared up by the end? L

I guess the fact that it has no connection to DCEU is kind of underwelming. Because once Matt weaver has his The batman are we going to have another joker? Just feels like it's joker in name only, and is Todd Philips/Phoenix's take on the source material going for a Nolan esque joker, one thats realistic.

So far I need to see more what the movie will be about journey wise.

Todd Phillips wanted to remake Taxi Driver. Still not keen at all on this concept.

Yea, and I get it. But he could have made a movie without having any connection to a DC property. It's like they are using the name Joker to sell "their movie" so far in what I've seen.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how I feel about it. It looks good but not sure I like a sympathetic Joker/I really hope they handle the mental illness aspect well.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'll be the first to admit i thought all the set pictures and everything i saw leading up to it looked boring and uneeded and i had 0 interest but fuck im sold.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wow that looks damn good.

I guess I'll be the one going against the grain. I am not feeling it. I get the concept, but I like my Joke just as a force of nature, without explicit motivation. That makes him scarrier to me.
I used to feel like this honestly but then started thinking about how a normal human being can experience things that transforms him and creates the Joker and that made it even scarier imo.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is so completely bizarre given the comic book film landscape right now, it's presented as some weird auteur arthouse film starring Joaquin but at the same time I know it's a film about the Joker and it's just ahhh I want to watch it so badly.
Like I said in the other thread, but even more so now, this looks like DC's Logan. Popular character, completely out-of-left-field dark tone and disconnected from the main universe

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
In theory I agree with the people who say they don't like the Joker to have an origin (or in my case: an ending) becaue they prefer him as sort of an elemental evil that plagues Gotham and Batman, but SO many of the best Joker stories tell an origin or have an origin as part of it. Most of them are just retellings of Killing Joke's origin.

So I'm well past having that be a barrier between me and my love of the character.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really feeling it. Don't know if I want to see Linkin Park Joker. hey should have just remade Taxi Driver instead of this "What if Travis Bickle became The Joker?"

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In theory I agree with the people who say they don't like the Joker to have an origin (or in my case: an ending) becaue they prefer him as sort of an elemental evil that plagues Gotham and Batman, but SO many of the best Joker stories tell an origin or have an origin as part of it. Most of them are just retellings of Killing Joke's origin.

So I'm well past having that be a barrier between me and my love of the character.
Wasn't that mainly a Dark Knight thing? Joker has had various origins or various takes on The Killing Joke origin for years

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't for a second believe that this will be an entirely self contained movie that won't get a sequel or be folded into the upcoming batman movie or whatever if it is successful.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is why I was so bummed about the Disney/Fox merger. It reduces the chances of us getting something like this, or Logan, or even Spider-Verse from the comic book movie realm.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that mainly a Dark Knight thing? Joker has had various origins or various takes on The Killing Joke origin for years
kdQbGp2.jpg

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I don't for a second believe that this will be an entirely self contained movie that won't get a sequel or be folded into the upcoming batman movie or whatever if it is successful.
As another poster said further up, this might be a Logan type situation where it uses some continuity but is ultimately self contained and not intended to be part of a grander universe.

I hope that's true.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
They could always end it like someone earlier said, with his current Arkham therapist saying how his story couldn't have happened in the 70s or like Fleck's mother has been dead for years or whatnot
This. Since this is going to be from his point of view he's most likely going to be an unreliable narrator from the start. If that's the direction they go in it should have you question if what you're seeing is actually real and the truth.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
For some reason DC's logo at the end like that and just the whole vibe of the trailer remind of their Vertigo and Black Label comic divisions. Just has that mature feeling to it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
As another poster said further up, this might be a Logan type situation where it uses some continuity but is ultimately self contained and not intended to be part of a grander universe.

I hope that's true.
I mean I think Joaquin Phoenix will be The Joker going forward. Logan was an end point for a character, this is an origin story.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
i love that we have stuff like this and stuff like Ragnarok coming out in the same time period. gimme it all.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

There was 40 years of Joker comics before Killing Joke, and before TKJ there was no concrete origin at all. Even after Killing Joke a lot of books were disconnected from it and were reluctant to put a real name or backstory on the character (many simply lightly implied TKJ's origin). Lots of us were particularly happy TDK decided to go the route they did because we already loved the concept of an unknowable Joker (especially as a juxtaposition to other Batman villains who are all basically tied to their own origins tragedy).

But, again, the best Joker stories in every medium tend to dip into the origin. So whatevs.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Do I love it... absolutely... really opens up a lot of questions about how Todd Phillips envisions the rest of the Batman family in this take, even if it ultimately doesn't matter at all for this film.