• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
2070 is what I would consider midrange now.

Even beyond that, these consoles are just more like modern PCs than ever. SSD's, freesync, supporting high frame rates, etc.

Im actually curious how all that will be handled. Are you gonna have Vsync options, etc? Guess well see in a few weeks.

Does the average PC have an SSD? I know I was a little shocked re: Steam stats and GPUs, but I have no idea how the rest of it shakes out.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
XSX is compared to the RTX 2080 and that's like the fourth or fifth fastest card? PS5 a bit lower than that.

We don't know at this point how well the things like ray tracing and image reconstruction are going to work but so far, it's been super basic RT reflections at a reduced resolution so yeah, it feels like it's best to just go with the expectation that they're going to perform similar to a midrange (~$400) GPU.
Yeah I get that, I just don't see the fourth or fifth fastest card as mid range, but thats on me i guess

Oct 27, 2017
The way PS5's I/O pipeline acceleration has been tied to the cache scrubbers could have positive performance implications for PS5 (i.e., Punching above its theoretical performance in terms of raw numbers). Remember, one of the leading cause of stalls is the I/O pipeline and the need to efficiently replace stale data without losing an inordinate amount of cycles in the process. PS5 really has been optimized in this regard.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What was John even saying? He said nothing. And i will say it because its true. A PC with a faster GPU, CPU and ram will perform better. The same is the case with the consoles.

You dont have to be qualified to know that higher specs = better performance.
Usually it is that case, a pc with the same cpu and different gpu's you can tell the difference, but in these consoles case there is some customization there with the SSD in the PS5 etc. I'm still trying to understand how an SSD drive and faster data transmission makes up for a weaker gpu even if clocked at higher speeds.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
not even close to the SNES —> N64 jump into 3d gaming

these consoles are basically giving you the modern day mid range gaming PC experience

Hell, PS1 -> XB was massive when you think about it.

I mean, the 32bit era ended with this:

vagrant-story_1.png

and then you look at OG XB ending the generation:

splinter-cell-chaos-theory-screenshot-03.jpg

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Does the average PC have an SSD? I know I was a little shocked re: Steam stats and GPUs, but I have no idea how the rest of it shakes out.
Most new pc's have an ssd even if it's not a gaming pc. Price of SSD's have fallen so much that I would not recommend buying ANY pc without an SSD. It makes that big of a difference to the user experience.

Now the speed of the ssd is a whole other story.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Most new pc's have an ssd even if it's not a gaming pc. Price of SSD's have fallen so much that I would not recommend buying ANY pc without an SSD. It makes that big of a difference to the user experience.

Now the speed of the ssd is a whole other story.

Oh I know new ones do. I'm talking more of the PCs used to play games on Steam such that they're in that giant chart of hardware lol.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you can always look at technical specs on paper and say one console will come out better in all cases. Like PS3 was more powerful on paper than 360, but most games ran worse on it and it was mostly Sony first party that was able to take advantage of it. Ease of development can allow you to squeeze more out of a platform. I also heard Sony's dev tools allow for more lower level access to hardware than MS's tools. Some of this might fall down to what was the lead development platform.
Terrible comparison. The Cell was Sony's achilles heel for the longest time and XSX and PS5 have almost identical or actual identical architecture.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
What was John even saying? He said nothing. And i will say it because its true. A PC with a faster GPU, CPU and ram will perform better. The same is the case with the consoles.

Literally the only area where these two consoles are not in touching distance of one another is the SSD speed. And in that regard PS5 has a 100% + advantage.

These consoles are basically twins, one slim and fast, one wide and slow but the performance at the end of the day will be almost identical.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week) - Antagonizing another member, implying they are a platform warrior. Previous recent bans for platform warring.
Man we're so close to release, lets just wait for the actual game comparisons instead of endlessly discussing "anonymous developer" opinions
Aka please let there be a huge difference.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Is there something about image quality that Series X versions of these Multiplatform games can't do, that they will be doing on PS5? Not sure I understand.
No, the Series X should always have the edge - but it's a marginal edge. If both output a 4K image at a locked 60 fps...and only pixel counters can tell if one's native and one isn't...does it matter if one is checkerboarded and the other is native? Or if one's based at 1440p and the other is 1800p?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What he's tryin' to say is that Sony's the bomb.
It's that true shit, Sony's true shit. Slick black (and white).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure that chart doesn't account for storage. but i would imagine the vast majority of people who have mid range gaming PCs have SSDs.

That's why I'm asking--I built mine a couple years ago and that didn't seem like the case? I think it is now, but like another user said--speed is a whole other thing entirely.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
2070 is what I would consider midrange now.

Even beyond that, these consoles are just more like modern PCs than ever. SSD's, freesync, supporting high frame rates, etc.

Im actually curious how all that will be handled. Are you gonna have Vsync options, etc? Guess well see in a few weeks.
A 2070 is still very comfortably a high end GPU. It can max most games at high framerates at 1440p and above. Midrange would be 1060/70 and AMD equivalents

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Literally the only area where these two consoles are not in touching distance of one another is the SSD speed. And in that regard PS5 has a 100% + advantage.

These consoles are basically twins, one slim and fast, one wide and slow but the performance at the end of the day will be almost identical.
Based on what? a 12tf gpu does not perform identically to a 10tf GPU
CPU is faster on X, but thats close to a wash
Then you have the faster ram
Ps5 has the faster SSD

The performance will not be identical.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018

I hear what you are saying. The difference on paper is like having a 2070 vs a 2080 with other minor differences. Whether that difference matters is up to the individual but there's a reason the 2070 outsells the 2080 and that's because they are close enough in terms of performance for the average joe. I think the difference between the XSX and PS5 will be "close enough" to where the average gamer isn't going to pick up either box because of performance differences.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Whilst I agree with your general premise, It isn't exactly the same with consoles as it is between PC GPU's of the same brand, because the consoles use different SDK's, API's etc to one another, not to mention other unique hardware or software features that could impact development, efficiency, performance etc.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question:

Can you build a PC for $500 with the same or better RAM, CPU, GPU, and SSD?

Not just GPU--which I think is valid, but incomplete. But the whole package. I don't think you could, but I also genuinely don't know--I threw money at my PC lol.
Oh definitely not.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I hear what you are saying. The difference on paper is like having a 2070 vs a 2080 with other minor differences. Whether that difference matters is up to the individual but there's a reason the 2070 outsells the 2080 and that's because they are close enough in terms of performance for the average joe. I think the difference between the XSX and PS5 will be "close enough" to where the average gamer isn't going to pick up either box because of performance differences.
I dont think the average gamer will care . They will buy the console they want. Hell im getting a series s for my bedroom and do not care at all about the difference.
But to say there wont be a difference, or that the difference wont be noticeable just wont be true.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Where did Matt suggest the more powerful console won't be more powerful? He's saying there won't be any significant differences, and hints that in some cases, PS5 maybe have some slight advantages.

Another devs have chimed in saying that the Series X's strengths will be tangible. This idea that there will be little to no differences just serves to diminish the efforts of the Xbox team.
Aka please let there be a huge difference.

More like, enough with the difference is intangible nonsense.

It is almost like people are trying to posit that the PS5 and Series X are equal, and that the Xbox's advantages count for nothing.

MS sure fucked up if all of those extra CUs yield nothing in terms of am advantage, however small, yet tangible.

I agree, wait for the games.

No one will be disappointed.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Like I have said before. I expect Xbox SX games to either have a slightly better resolution or slightly better effects. For most people, it won't matter much. Microsoft themselves cannot use GPU compute for anything else as they also have to cater to XSS

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I dont think the average gamer will care . They will buy the console they want. Hell im getting a series s for my bedroom and do not care at all about the difference.
But to say there wont be a difference, or that the difference wont be noticeable just wont be true.
It won't be noticeable during gameplay and that's what matters. Nobody is stopping their game to look for differences in a 200% zoom.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Another devs have chimed in saying that the Series X's strengths will be tangible. This idea that there will be little to no differences just serves to diminish the efforts of the Xbox team.

No it doesn't. Again, nothing I said refutes the fact that the Series X will show tangible differences, just that we may have odd instances where the PS5 performs better in areas and the overall gap may not be huge. Doesn't mean there won't be a gap.

Stop misrepresenting what I'm saying.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Both consoles are going to be significantly more powerful than the "average" PC for quite a few years.

People on here would have you believe every PC has 3+GB/sec SSD and a 2080 with a top of the line Zen 2.

This is of course nonsense.

Look at the steam hardware survey for 2020, it's quite interesting and paints a very, very different picture than the narrative presented on sites like Resetera: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Have a peruse through, and see what % of PC gamers have rigs that can outperform PS5 or XSX. For example only 10% of PC gamers have 8 or more CPU cores. So PS5/XSX likely have more powerful CPUs than 90% of PC gamers, having 8 core Zen 2 CPUs running at 3.5Ghz and 3.6Ghz respectively.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Both consoles are going to be significantly more powerful than the "average" PC for quite a few years.

People on here would have you believe every PC has 3+GB/sec SSD and a 2080 with a top of the line Zen 2.

This is of course nonsense.

Look at the steam hardware survey for 2020, it's quite interesting and paints a very, very different picture than the narrative presented on sites like Resetera: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Have a peruse through, and see what % of PC gamers have rigs that can outperform PS5 or XSX. For example only 10% of PC gamers have 8 or more CPU cores. So PS5/XSX likely have more powerful CPUs than 90% of PC gamers.

Thank you for this. That's why I struggle when folks talk about average, because that seems to be way lower than most expect?