• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the fuck?

Joe Biden, the presumptive United States Democratic presidential nominee, said on Wednesday that if he was elected, he would keep the US embassy in Israel in Jerusalem even though he does not agree with the context in which US President Donald Trump moved it there from Tel Aviv.

"It should not have been moved," the former vice president said in response to a question asked during a virtual fundraiser with supporters in the Boston, Massachusetts area.

"The move shouldn't have happened in the context as it did, it should happen in the context of a larger deal to help us achieve important concessions for peace in the process," Biden added.

Biden's remarks on Wednesday were among the most detailed explanations of the issue he has given during the 2020 campaign.

Congress authorised the embassy move to Jerusalem in 1995 - with Biden voting for the measure as a Delaware senator - but a succession of presidents from both major parties delayed the shift, setting conditions as part of ongoing peace negotiations.

Biden said Trump gave away that leverage.

"Moving the embassy when we did without the conditions having been met was short-sighted and frivolous," the former vice president said. "But now that is done, I would not move the embassy back to Tel Aviv."

www.aljazeera.com

Biden says he’d leave US embassy in Jerusalem if elected

Joe Biden says embassy ‘should not have been moved’, but now that it’s done, he would not move it back to Tel Aviv.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Biden.
Actually, fuck America because rape and land theft is truly bipartisan.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah he's to the right of the Obama admin on this issue so...lol

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Eh. Was always going to be a longshot thing to address once it was moved in the first place. There is a near limitless list of more pressing things to address in the US.

Unfortunate that we chose not to stop that possibility in 2016 when we had the chance. Live and learn I guess.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Eh. Was always going to be a longshot thing to address once it was moved in the first place. There is a near limitless list of more pressing things to address in the US.

Unfortunate that we chose not to stop that possibility in 2016 when we had the chance. Live and learn I guess.

How about at least threatening to move it back to get Israel to take the Middle East peace process at least remotely seriously?

An attempt is not even being made!

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not surprising, he's made repeated statements in the past supporting the Israeli regime's campaign against the Palestinians.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already turning out to be a shitty future president. Really wish we had better options than alleged rapists.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's even optional. It was required by law to move to Jerusalem absent the President making an annual argument that it was against US interests. Now that Trump declined to make that exception, can it be moved back without a new law? This is Biden's point in the OP. You can't put the genie back in the bottle

btw, Bernie Sanders voted for that law so it isn't like the competition was any better

Last edited:

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility towards another member.
it owns that liberals like biden can just let trump take the hit for something they've secretly wanted to do for decades
Precisely. All the gross ass illegal and horrible shit America does will keep happening, and the pathetic spineless and amoral liberal shitbags will excuse or handwave it away. Case in point:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you just move it on the whims of the next President, you wouldn't have any leverage anymore at all. So his reasoning makes sense if you consider that he's had a long history of wanting the move to happen anyway.
I'm not sure i follow. Even if he did want the move to happen, by not threatening to move it, he has basically given up any leverage he would have. "Keep doing what you're doing or else..."? is a weird strategy.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Precisely. All the gross ass illegal and horrible shit America does will keep happening, and the pathetic spineless and amoral liberal shitbags will excuse or handwave it away. Case in point:
Well, welcome to the rest of the world too. Because plenty of countries just sit around and take it just as well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable. Moving it so soon after it was just moved would cost a ton of money that would be better spent elsewhere and would likely make it harder for US diplomats to do their job. Reopening the East Jersualem consulate is a good step to getting Palestine back on board. It's also a weird legal situation since it was technically an act of Congress, delayed 20 years, that moved the embassy, which could inhibit his ability to just move it again. It's a shitty situation but that's just one of the countless fires we'll have to put out once Trump is gone

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory accusation and mischaracterizing another member

downplaying literal genocide

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even if Biden weren't personally an Israel toady, which he very much is, moving it back is all political downside and would thus require political courage, which he very much lacks.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This line of reasoning makes no sense. what leverage does the U.S. have now? Israel already has what they want. "Keep doing what you're doing or else ..."?

It's worse than that. It demonstrates all you have to do is get concessions from Republicans when they're in office safe in the knowledge the subsequent Democrat won't do anything about it.

Why bother negotiating with a Democrat? Wait for a Republican to give away the shop!

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's even optional. It was required by law to move to Jerusalem absent the President making an annual argument that it was against US interests. Now that Trump declined to make that exception, can it be moved back without a new law? This is Biden's point in the OP

btw, Bernie Sanders voted for that law so it isn't like the competition was any better
That would be my take. It's one thing to delay it being moved where it was supposed to be by law, but another to deliberately, and unilaterally, reverse the process after it's been completed.

I'm not a lawyer though, and have no idea if that figures into Biden's reasoning. If he can legally move it back, then he should.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden is such a garbage candidate. For every good idea he has, he follow that with five bad ones.

But what else can we expect from this basic AIPAC-loving anti-Palestine dinosaur who obviously gets daily cheques from the pro-Israel lobby.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Well, welcome to the rest of the world too. Because plenty of countries just sit around and take it just as well.
What the hell is even that sentence?
Understandable. Moving it so soon after it was just moved would cost a ton of money that would be better spent elsewhere and would likely make it harder for US diplomats to do their job. Reopening the East Jersualem consulate is a good step to getting Palestine back on board. It's also a weird legal situation since it was technically an act of Congress, delayed 20 years, that moved the embassy, which could inhibit his ability to just move it again. It's a shitty situation but that's just one of the countless fires we'll have to put out once Trump is gone
Money? The US government burns millions of dollars every day on dumb shit. Cost is the LAST excuse one should bring up on this issue.

And this should make people question just how many of Trump's changes he'll actually reverse.
He said it himself, nothing will change.
I fully expect we'll be 3 years into his presidency and there's still kids in cages while the galaxy brained liberals keep telling you it's not so simple why the Democrats have done nothing to fix things.

Useless party.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Biden is such a garbage candidate. For every good idea he has, he follow that with five bad ones.

But what else can we expect from this basic AIPAC-loving anti-Palestine dinosaur who obviously gets daily cheques from the pro-Israel lobby.

it's not just him that's a dinosaur, too. dems have been playing nice with bibi and israel in general for awhile

just look at how they treat ilhan omar and rashida tlaib over these issues, immensely fucked up.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
it'll never cease to disgust me that the natural reaction at shit that helps perpetuate a genocidal ethnostate is just apathetic shrugs; that's how far gone the situation is

If it makes you feel any better, this is one of the issues I care most about and one of the reasons I donated to, and volunteered for Bernie's campaign. I'm the furthest from apathetic, but also if I were surprised that liberals would support ethnic cleansing you'd rightly be able to tell me that I haven't been paying attention.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's even optional. It was required by law to move to Jerusalem absent the President making an annual argument that it was against US interests. Now that Trump declined to make that exception, can it be moved back without a new law? This is Biden's point in the OP. You can't put the genie back in the bottle

Except the article doesn't say that. The article quoted him as saying this:

"But now that is done, I would not move the embassy back to Tel Aviv."

To me that says even if he does have the power he wouldn't move it back.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
downplaying literal genocide
Well really I was downplaying a movement of an embassy given it was already done and therefore was unlikely to be changed. I'm aware of Isreal's shit. So are a lot of other people. But unfortunately nobody wants to do anything about it to any real effect. That's not really downplaying genocide. That's just stating an observation.

What's your solution?

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
If it makes you feel any better, this is one of the issues I care most about and one of the reasons I donated to, and volunteered for Bernie's campaign. I'm the furthest from apathetic, but also if I were surprised that liberals would support ethnic cleansing you'd rightly be able to tell me that I haven't been paying attention.

hell yeah, good stuff

Bernie Sanders said the same thing were is the backlash?

www.aljazeera.com

Sanders says may relocate US embassy back to Tel Aviv if elected

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders condemned Donald Trump’s decision to move US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem in 2018.

and from today

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well really I was downplaying a movement of an embassy given it was already done and therefore was unlikely to be changed. I'm aware of Isreal's shit. So are a lot of other people. But unfortunately nobody wants to do anything about it to any real effect. That's not really downplaying genocide. That's just stating an observation.

What's your solution?

At least own it and don't try to backtrack less than half a page later, that's even more pathetic.