• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So all of a sudden Trek reboot is bad? Get the fuck out of here.

They should hand Bad Robot all the Comic Stuff so maybe we can have a golden age of fun comic movies from both Marvel and DC. Then I could truly be happy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine movie, it's not necessarily a great Star Trek movie. And Into Darkness is a complete dumpster fire.
While I do think Into Darkness is Abrams worst movie, it still contains the best sequence in the trilogy, I really got show you guys an actual bad movie sometime, instead of getting the usual disappointing entry in my fav IP hyperbole.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I do think Into Darkness is Abrams worst movie, it still contains the best sequence in the trilogy, I really got show you guys an actual bad movie sometime, instead of getting the usual disappointing entry in my fav IP hyperbole.

I have no idea what sequence you're even referring to because every part of the film is terrible. It's not only a bad Star Trek movie and a bad movie in general, but also a fundamentally offensive movie due to being a thinly-veiled 9/11 conspiracy film. I don't normally do the hyperbole thing about movies but Into Darkness is one where I genuinely think it's shit.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Didn't JJ say recently they were doing a direct Cloverfield sequel?

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I know damn well some of y'all aren't trying to suggest 09 Trek is a bad movie.
'09 was fine actually. Legitimately enjoyable movie.

Into Darkness was embarrassing though.

I mean saying it wasn't Khan? Honestly.

Also just in general the movie had a lot of contrived bullshit and the other secondary villain's motivation made practically no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
'09 was fine actually. Legitimately enjoyable movie.

Into Darkness was embarrassing though.

I mean saying it wasn't Khan? Honestly.

Also just in general the movie had a lot of contrived bullshit and the other secondary villain's motivation made practically no sense.
What would've changed if he said it was Khan outside of more complaining on our spoiler sensitive internet.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what sequence you're even referring to because every part of the film is terrible. It's not only a bad Star Trek movie and a bad movie in general, but also a fundamentally offensive movie due to being a thinly-veiled 9/11 conspiracy film. I don't normally do the hyperbole thing about movies but Into Darkness is one where I genuinely think it's shit.
Enterprise getting shot up mid warp. Look me in the eye and tell me that's terrible.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
What would've changed if he said it was " " outside of more complaining on our spoiler sensitive internet.
Just would have rather he said nothing about it. I mean on it's own the reveal was hilariously pointless and pratically assumes you know who that character is and what importance he holds in the previous Star Trek. But that fact that he lied so you were led to believe that wouldn't happen so that reveal would still "shock" you is dishonest. It's cheap subversion by literally treating your audience like they're morons.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Would love for him to work on a DC property. Superman, Green Lantern, or whatever else he is interested in.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just would have rather he said nothing about it. I mean on it's own the reveal was hilariously pointless and pratically assumes you know who that character is and what importance he holds in the previous Star Trek. But that fact that he lied so you were led to believe that wouldn't happen so that reveal would still "shock" you is dishonest. It's cheap subversion by literally treating your audience like they're morons.

Yup. JJ loves to bullshit his audience so they won't see his utterly generic, massively predictable "twists" coming and it's driven me insane for years.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Who would bet on Warner?
Smart people.

studio_profit_report_2019_embed.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I know that Mission:Impossible is seen as the Cruise+McQuarrie show but Bad Robot was a big part of those flicks and I really hope this doesn't throw a wrench into things.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see JOKER 2 starring Joaquin Phoenix and lens flare.

All wrapped in a nice cover of Spielberg-lite.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Give me all the mystery boxes, all of them. And this is most likely for new content outside of DC. But Warner will definitely push him towards at least a few DC projects

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
oh you better believe he'll be on DC

this man saved star wars en route to $2 billion at the box office. about to crank out another that'll probably make $1.5b at least.

he'll do Superman if I had to guess. quasi remake of the 1978 movie, complete with Williams on the score. fuck it.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
oh you better believe he'll be on DC

this man saved star wars en route to $2 billion at the box office. about to crank out another that'll probably make $1.5b at least.

he'll do Superman if I had to guess. quasi remake of the 1978 movie, complete with Williams on the score. fuck it.
Superman isn't even high on Warner radar right now, the more immediate thing right now is setting up new content for the film/television division(especially the streaming service).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Superman isn't even high on Warner radar right now, the more immediate thing right now is setting up new content for the film/television division(especially the streaming service).

You'd think nailing Superman would lead to a massively profitable and beloved DC Cinematic Universe

which would then in turn allow them to shit out like 10 highly anticipated shows that take place in said universe on their streaming service ala Marvel

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think nailing Superman would lead to a massively profitable and beloved DC Cinematic Universe

which would then in turn allow them to shit out like 10 highly anticipated shows that take place in said universe on their streaming service ala Marvel
I mean, they're doing fine without Superman lol. Aquaman's a billion dollar( with Wonder Woman most likely about the join the club), and Jokers gonna do crazy numbers. A "it's all connected" Cinematic Universe is in the past for them at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Every time Superman uses his laser eyes, the ensuing lens flare would blot out the sun

JJ, for the entirety of the marketing cycle: No, you guys, seriously, my Superman isn't vulnerable to anything, even Kryptonite.
*climax of the movie comes along, Lex Luthor uses Kryptonite to stun Superman*
JJ:

9ayWKzZ.png

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Didn't JJ say recently they were doing a direct Cloverfield sequel?

He did. But whatever happens with that, I'm guessing they try to re-create the lightning-in-the-bottle of the first and it's a secret, cheap project. Really doubt, given the performance of the recent Godzilla movie and the Pacific Rim sequel, that we're going to see a big budget kaiju movie anytime soon, Abrams or otherwise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He did. But whatever happens with that, I'm guessing they try to re-create the lightning-in-the-bottle of the first and it's a secret, cheap project. Really doubt, given the performance of the recent Godzilla movie and the Pacific Rim sequel, that we're going to see a big budget kaiju movie anytime soon, Abrams or otherwise.

Would it even really be worth it to try and pretend a Cloverfield movie isn't a Cloverfield movie? It's not like the original movie ended up being a surprise. The only surprising part was that it was significantly more mundane than anyone was hoping it would be.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Would it even really be worth it to try and pretend a Cloverfield movie isn't a Cloverfield movie? It's not like the original movie ended up being a surprise. The only surprising part was that it was significantly more mundane than anyone was hoping it would be.

No, no, it's more that...I suspect it kinda comes out of nowhere, has a trailer attached to something surprising. I don't think they play the headfake game in the same way. I also think it may just never happen because it's been so long.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I don't think they've made a single good screenplay together.

Their filmography consists of: The Island, The Legend of Zorro, Transformers 1 & Revenge of the Fallen, Star Trek & Into Darkness, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Amazing Spider-man 2.

Their output is consistently bad.
The island was fantastic, the other movies can rott in hell.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why Paramount keeps giving those clowns a paycheck. Can't they just give the screenplay writer position to some random bum from the streets? It would be an act of charity, and they couldn't possibly do a worse job than Orci and Kurtzman
Orci seems to be out, because Kurtzman and Orci apparently broke up after a fight about which one of the two was responsible for their bigger failures. Orci was also the 9/11 truther of the duo, so Kurtzman seems to be the superior one.

Kurtzman and Orci appear to be mediocre writers, but they are theorized to be capable and well-liked producers, because they allow the writers to do their jobs and write.

Kurtzman was supposedly only in the Star Trek Discovery producer's room as insurance, because Paramount liked JJ's Star Trek movies (which Kurtzman had been attached to), but then the producer's room imploded with allegations of physical and mental abuse, because everyone except Kurtzman was a terrible producer who was taken off the project one way or another, and Kurtzman was left holding the bag. Apparently the entire reason Star Trek Discovery continues to exist at all is because Kurtzman is a very talented producer who managed to keep the entire show running (and debatably helped it become even better) after a catastrophic implosion. Kurtzman wasn't supposed to be involved. He stepped up because they needed him.

Complaints about Discovery come down to "Kurtzman isn't writing the show, he's letting the writers write it, and writers don't always produce 100% gold, not even when they've been liberated by someone like Kurtzman."

The green-lighting of the Picard Show is apparently 100% thanks to Kurtzman's producing skills. Previous writers had said that Paramount was entirely disinterested in TNG. Kurtzman convinced Paramount that TNG was something worth going back to.

Kurtzman's position with Star Trek is basically the same as the one that Rick Berman once held, and fans always had an antagonistic relationship with Rick Berman.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Orci seems to be out, because Kurtzman and Orci apparently broke up after a fight about which one of the two was responsible for their bigger failures. Orci was also the 9/11 truther of the duo, so Kurtzman seems to be the superior one.

Kurtzman and Orci appear to be mediocre writers, but they are theorized to be capable and well-liked producers, because they allow the writers to do their jobs and write.

Kurtzman was supposedly only in the Star Trek Discovery producer's room as insurance, because Paramount liked JJ's Star Trek movies (which Kurtzman had been attached to), but then the producer's room imploded with allegations of physical and mental abuse, because everyone except Kurtzman was a terrible producer who was taken off the project one way or another, and Kurtzman was left holding the bag. Apparently the entire reason Star Trek Discovery continues to exist at all is because Kurtzman is a very talented producer who managed to keep the entire show running (and debatably helped it become even better) after a catastrophic implosion. Kurtzman wasn't supposed to be involved. He stepped up because they needed him.

Complaints about Discovery come down to "Kurtzman isn't writing the show, he's letting the writers write it, and writers don't always produce 100% gold, not even when they've been liberated by someone like Kurtzman."

The green-lighting of the Picard Show is apparently 100% thanks to Kurtzman's producing skills. Previous writers had said that Paramount was entirely disinterested in TNG. Kurtzman convinced Paramount that TNG was something worth going back to.

Kurtzman's position with Star Trek is basically the same as the one that Rick Berman once held, and fans always had an antagonistic relationship with Rick Berman.
Reading all of that, I really have to point again to that "replace them with random people from the street" idea. If the best thing you can say about a producer is "he let's the smart people do their stuff", then why even have the position
God I wish someone at Paramount actually understood and cared about this franchise, even a little bit

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People can say it's not an accurate OG Trek film, and I'd buy that. But it's a very good blockbuster film.

Philosophical, thoughtful Trek works on TV, it doesn't work in a film. Which is why even the "more faithful" Beyond is still a ridiculously over the top action film.
Roddenberry tried his hardest with the first Star Trek movie, but man was that an overweight dog. Even the TNG movies transformed their series into a big, dumb action movie format.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

paramount got nothing to do with the current run of tv show it's all cbs