• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
they are better off expanding their own studios than buying independent studios.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I rather they just pump more money into their studios so they can hire more people and release games at a faster rate. But yes I know...
GoldenAcademicDwarfmongoose-size_restricted.gif

Just get Bluepoint, keep shaking hands with Insomniac, From, Kojima etc. and let the current first party keep doing what they do best.
They've been consistently expanding their studios for awhile now.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus, Sony really isn't playing around. PlayStation is by far their most recognizable product in the consumer eyes, and I think they are well aware of that.

I mean even Apple and Google now jumping on gaming so it makes sense for Sony to invest even more, doesnt help that PlayStation is their most successful division right now so it's easy to guess

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Why would Insomniac sell to MS? lol

Their only game together was below expectations

It's not always about how the game turns out or even sales that generates these relationships. It's just how easy it is to work with the company and how dire things are at the given studio. Obsidian was struggling bad so they got bought out. I've never even heard of InXile. Playground and Undead Labs had a serious relationship for some time. Ninja Theory was struggling too as you can tell by that one vid they put out.

It's just relationships and how dire things are which lead to these deals.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I mean even Apple and Google now jumping on gaming so it makes sense for Sony to invest even more, doesnt help that PlayStation is their most successful division right now so it's easy to guess

Google has been on gaming since youtube took off. All of the biggest youtubers are gamers. That's not even a joke. They've always been about gaming but now they're not just dipping their toes in the water. I'm genuinely scared of them as a console gamer. I hope they fizzle out and retire the product.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Google has been on gaming since youtube took off. All of the biggest youtubers are gamers. That's not even a joke. They've always been about gaming but now they're not just dipping their toes in the water. I'm genuinely scared of them as a console gamer. I hope they fizzle out and retire the product.
Yup, as much as I'm impressed with Stadia (promises so far from GG), I really fear the future where people like Pew benefits even more from it and how he affects young generation in bad ways

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Wouldn't be surprised if they acquired the studio making that Predator game if it turns out well.

Kojima's Studio and Bluepoint are also other candidates. Then you got Insomniac I suppose, but that's a strange one considering you'd thought that would've happened earlier.
They didn't want to be bought given they wanted to focus on IP they owned. However, I think that was a short-lived strategy given how FUSE and Sunset Overdrive turned out. Their biggest successes have been with IPs owned by others (though Sunset Overdrive deserved so much more.)

The decision to work on Spiderman suggests as much, at least.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Insomniac's founder and CEO Ted Price always stressed the importance of being independent. And I'm glad they stayed independent for 25 years now with great success in terms of game quality, game diversity and workplace culture. Some people should think more about the health of a dev studio than the big players.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding Insomniac, I keep thinking back to Ted Price's podcast with Shuhei Yoshida from last month:

https://pca.st/a68s

When they start talking about how it is for studios working under WWS it really just feels like the discussion is something more than just a casual chat. It's all my own speculation of course, but it almost feels like Ted Price is getting reaffirmation from Yoshida on the level of freedom and control WWS devs have under the umbrella and the level of support they get from WWS for all those listening. Yoshida does of course restate that Insomniac is independent but it almost feels like the sell on the comparison between being independent and being a WWS dev.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not always about how the game turns out or even sales that generates these relationships. It's just how easy it is to work with the company and how dire things are at the given studio. Obsidian was struggling bad so they got bought out. I've never even heard of InXile. Playground and Undead Labs had a serious relationship for some time. Ninja Theory was struggling too as you can tell by that one vid they put out.

Yes, but a man from Insomniac said here that working with Sony is great. And they are in the best moment of the studio lol

It wasn't because Insomniac was incompetent or the relationship was sour. It has everything to do with how Xbox was in a bad place then, not about their work together.

I know that, I just think that their fans are on PS. Not for Spiderman (that would sell everywhere), but for things like Ratchet and Resistance

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yes, but a man from Insomniac said here that working with Sony is great. And they are in the best moment of the studio lol

I know that, I just think that their fans are on PS. Not for Spiderman (that would sell everywhere), but for things like Ratchet and Resistance

That's easy to say. There's a 200 million console gamer market. Half of those people own a Playstation. That's a poor argument imho.

Feb 10, 2018
In the future will XboxGS sonywws and maybe Google own all the studious between them because it seems to be going that way.
It might cost a lot but I don't see how other game platform companies can compete if they have a lot less exclusives E. G Google buys take 2, EA,ubisoft and Activision Sony and ms are dead.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
In the future will XboxGS sonywws and maybe Google own all the studious between them because it seems to be going that way.
It might cost a lot but I don't see how other game platform companies can compete if they have a lot less exclusives E. G Google buys take 2, EA,ubisoft and Activision Sony and ms are dead.
lolwut

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Create some japanese studios from the ground up, or add some departments onto Japan studio, they could use more avenues for their output

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That's easy to say. There's a 200 million console gamer market. Half of those people own a Playstation. That's a poor argument imho.
the market can be how ever big you want, they've never before had the success that they are having with spider-man.

It would be incredibly difficult for them to repeat that success without Sony and the spider-man IP, and it would be a relatively safe bet to repeat or surpass their success continuing to work with Sony.

Weather they are bought or not, the substantive product that they'll be working on for the next 6 years is going to be spider-man with Sony as the publisher. That level of co-dependency can't be dismissed.

Not saying that they will be purchased, but there is a significant reason to revisit that stance in a post spider-man PS4 world.

Feb 10, 2018
Take Two, EA and ESPECIALLY ubisoft are not going to be bought. Maybe smaller studios, but not publishers man. That's not a "good deal" for gamers and is honestly awful for the industry. Whoever made that move would be universally panned.

If streaming is the future I think it will be inevitable, otherwise EA, ubi, take 2 and Activision will just figure out they don't need xbox or PlayStation, they could skip the middle men and collect all profits.
But I'm talking 20yrs out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Sony will then just buy MS and Google problem solved.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
If streaming is the future I think it will be inevitable, otherwise EA, take 2 and will just figure out they don't need xbox or PlayStation, they could skip the middle men and collect all profits.
But I'm talking 20yrs out.

Would be smarter for a publisher like ubisoft to create its own streaming solution and get $ direct from consumer instead of being bought out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

SIE are literally hiring people for Insomniac at the moment and they are coming off their biggest success ever. Pretty small chance they'll get bought out by MS. They'll probably stay independent and continue working mostly on PlayStation exclusives, if they ever get bought out I'd be shocked if it wasn't by SIE though.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
the market can be how ever big you want, they've never before had the success that they are having with spider-man.

It would be incredibly difficult for them to repeat that success without Sony and the spider-man IP, and it would be a relatively safe bet to repeat or surpass their success continuing to work with Sony.

Weather they are bought or not, the substantive product that they'll be working on for the next 6 years is going to be spider-man with Sony as the publisher. That level of co-dependency can't be dismissed.

Not saying that they will be purchased, but there is a significant reason to revisit that stance in a post spider-man PS4 world.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be smart to keep making games for Playstation, especially spidey games. I agree. It's the natural evolution (they even have a end credits scene) and they knew what they had with Spiderman. It's one of my favorite games of all time. They put Miles Morales in it. He was playable. I lost it man.

But I don't think they want to be bought. I, in fact, KNOW and have heard in great detail how they value independence. If they can get the money, reap the profits and prestige, and continue along the path, why decide to be purchased. It makes no sense. Like I said here or in another thread, Microsoft's acquisitions, save for Playground Games (who I think has only made Xbox titles), have some sort of budget issue constraint attached to them as to why things didn't pan out. Even Undead Labs, which is a fairly successful studio given their budget and type of game, couldn't chase all their dreams because they didn't have enough money to do so.

Insomniac has had meteoric success. They're universally beloved. I doubt they exchange that for security (????).

And I stand by what I said. They produced a game on the #1 Marvel property/IP/character in Spidey. They worked on a system that had around an install base of 90 million when it launched. This wasn't a 2015 game. This wasn't a launch title. This was at the tail end of a mega/super successful generation in an era where gaming is more mainstream than it has ever been. And it had the benefit of being an exceptional game through the hard work of the developers. Saying "most of their fans are on playstation" is reductive. I'm sure there are millions of fans of Insomniac on PC, Switch, and Xbox too. PS4 just has more gamers on it. You could have said the same thing last gen. Most of Call of Duty fans are on Xbox 360 when Call of Duty 4 was out. But that's because in 07 most people owned a 360. Like I said, reductive.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going nowhere? They were all still making great games. They could have continued to make great games. It was a mistake.
Making great games =/= making profits. They wanted to cut their loss. Sony management doesnt just wake up one day and decide to close a studio. They had to look at what can this studio do in the next 5-10 years, the cost of operation, etc....There were a lot of considerations before closing one studio. How can you call it a mistake without knowing whats going on behind the scene?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Pointless if not Japanese studio. They have way too many AAA western studios.
That's mostly due to a different structure in Japan, their Japanese studios (outside of Polyphony) all work under Japan Studio, instead of as their own studio. I think we'll see a lot more from them next gen, as they were mismanaged during last gen and were sorting themselves out for most of this gen.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They'll expand in line with the market.

But bear in mind - they made the point, in the context of another question, that they are happy with a first party market share of roughly 20%, to a third party share of 80%. That they explicitly want to foster markets that are third party friendly.

So expect them to expand to maintain that ratio - but don't expect attempts to skew those ratios or dominate on their own platform.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
That's what I said in the post u quoted?
But ms, Sony and Google will know this, which is why they may choose to buy them out before they do make there own streaming service.

They still have to agree to the buyout? I don't think anyone understands how this all works. It's not like microsoft just punches these companies and takes them for a ride. These are business deals. Nobody wants to buy Ubisoft, Bethesda, EA, or Take Two because they're too big. They mean too much to the industry being third party. Third party developer health is more important to the industry than anything else, which is why I don't understand why everyone wants EA to die. I just want them to become better.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
They'll expand in line with the market.

But bear in mind - they made the point, in the context of another question, that they are happy with a first party market share of roughly 20%, to a third party share of 80%. That they explicitly want to foster markets that are third party friendly.

So expect them to expand to maintain that ratio - but don't expect attempts to skew those ratios or dominate on their own platform.

Unless I'm mishearing it - the interesting part about that ratio was that he cites the 20/80 as healthy mix as was the case in PS1/2/3 era. And he didn't mention PS4.

Given that quantity of first-party releases this gen are not higher than last-gen, it does show that there is a want to increase quantity of released games to match at least how it was last-gen ( since output in general has been lower due to longer dev times, etc )

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony starts pursuing acquisitions aggressively like Microsoft has, I wonder if we'll ever see Nintendo follow suit. I think their last acquisition was Monolithsoft? The only other obvious candidates I can think of would be maybe companies like Next Level Games and Mercurysteam who have worked on their IPs.

I wonder if we'll see mid-tier developers further disappear as they get folded into the larger publishers and we'll end up with a landscape of giants and indies.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

This is preposterous! Sir!! You are a knight honored by the majesty and yet you can't even write proper english?