• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Another argument against the move: People are (kind of) fine with paying for online, but when you ask them, mostly hate MTX. And now MS wants to focus on MTX?

You think having paid online is going to get rid of Microtransactions?

Meanwhile NBA 2K20 and other *full priced games* have more microtransactions than ever?

Uncharted 4 MP and Last of Us Remastered MP also had micro-transactions. That didn't go away.

And since the Factions MP is apparently going F2P, I guarantee you you'll see microtransactions.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is great (if true). Paid access to online play has always been BS.

On a side note: who is Jeff Grubb and why have I only seen threads about him over the past couple months or so?

Last edited:

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
They wouldn't be forced to, but it'd be a really bad look comparitively.

Thus "it would be a pretty big deal". I still don't think it would be the difference maker people are thinking. I feel like most people would shrug and go about buying the console with the games they want. I mean, 360 was the only out of the three with paid online and it hardly dented its momentum

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im hoping for:

A few new announcements
Current games visual upgrades for next gen
PS5 UI/UX demo

I dont think we will get a price yet until september or october.

Sry wrong Jeff thread.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want this to be true just to put pressure on Sony to remove their online multiplayer paywall.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been against paid online as I've always recognized the myriad of supported services the money goes towards to setup & maintain.

Of course free is always good, so there's that. But the cost of R&D/running these programs never seemed like a deal to me.

Good news either way if true.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be absolutely shocked, i think there might be something lost in communication here.

Like they're changing it to where F2P doesn't need a paywall or it's being combined with gamepass or something like that. I don't know how many tens of millions of XBLG subscribers they have, but if they were to throw that away it's billions of dollars in lost revenue, this would have to translate into billions of dollars in growth for MTX and game sales just to recover the cost, that's an enormous assumption.

There are better ways to spend billions of dollars, you could buy a major AAA publisher, you could give away all of your first party games.

It would be pretty awesome if it were true, and would show incredible balls on Xbox's part.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Wow, I can't believe this is really happening.

Microsoft is really posed to bitch Sony out this year, like Sony did to them in 2013.

Sony has -

The weaker console.
The more expensive system.
Paid online.

Microsoft literally Reverse'd everything onto Sony this time. All Sony has is the "ecosystem, no ones gonna wanna switch consoles they'll just stay on the same platform!" And "we have the best exclusives".

We saw how that worked for Microsoft last gen. 🤣

Let's see if Exclusives really do sell consoles. Definitely didn't help Microsoft in 2013 despite coming off Halo's/Gear's High points. And definitely didn't help Nintendo sell the Wii U.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020

Microsoft is really posed to bitch Sony out this year, like Sony did to them in 2013.

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

Microsoft literally Reverse'd everything onto Sony this time. All Sony has is the "ecosystem, no ones gonna wanna switch consoles they'll just stay on the same platform!" And "we have the best exclusives".

Let's see if Exclusives really do sell consoles. Definitely didn't help Microsoft in 2013 despite coming off Halo's/Gear's High points. And definitely didn't help Nintendo sell the Wii U.
Satire? Hopefully satire.

FearonDuve

Feb 22, 2020
If this happens, Sony will definitely need to answer back some how. Either going free as well or adding on top of PS+ with maybe PSNow or whatever else they do this upcoming gen.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

Holy hell man you are in for a rude awakening when you see how well PS5 sells.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Major Nelson was supposed to be on KindaFunny games daily today, wonder if Greg asked him about it.
Geoff Keighley asked Aaron Greenberg last week about the removal of the 12 month option on their store and what it meant for Xbox live going forward. Aaron avoided it, basically said he is just the games marketing guy. 2hrs 32 minutes in.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding it hilarious to see all the concern about Microsoft's revenue and shareholder portfolios. Never change Era.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Just because Xbox Live Gold is going away doesn't mean they're just going to start giving it away free. I predicted a while ago that they'll be rolling it into Game Pass. Their entire next generation is being built around Game Pass.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

You really think PS5 will flop? When PS3 sold 90 million? lmao

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

There's more chance on Ps5 distancing itself even more over Xbox than the Ps4 era than Xbox closing in at the moment.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
From the business perspective that super risky. If next gen turn out just like current gen then Microsoft are gonna be screwed.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony has -

The weaker console.

that's some real stretching since I assume your basis for Sony having the more expensive system is because of Lockhart but Lockhart is a weaker console than PS5

you can't claim that they've 'reversed' Sony when the PS4 was both cheaper & more powerful than the Xbox One, that isn't likely to be the case with Series X

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

what is this post.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm finding it hilarious to see all the concern about Microsoft's revenue and shareholder portfolios. Never change Era.
I have no concern, just interest. A business doesn't walk away from billions without some prospect on making more billions than it is giving up. I just don't see the value added billions in such a plan.

It's possible to divorce consumer interest from raw business discussion.

Painting all such discussion as concern trolling is lame. Like you say Microsoft doesn't need concern, they don't need people playing unpaid defense either.

ShivereZ

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Mauritius
Well... playstation plus is about 2 billion a year in revenue. I'm not sure how Sony will be able to survive on less.Maybe more expensivr games. Private servers?

I have ps plus stacked until 2025... would I get a refund?

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Just because Xbox Live Gold is going away doesn't mean they're just going to start giving it away free. I predicted a while ago that they'll be rolling it into Game Pass. Their entire next generation is being built around Game Pass.

Microsoft requiring Game Pass for online multiplayer is 1000 times crazier as an idea than Gold just going away.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

Sony has -

The weaker console.
Paid online.

You're in for quite a shock again. Good to see you back though. 🤣

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Well... playstation plus is about 2 billion a year in revenue. I'm not sure how Sony will be able to survive on less.Maybe more expensivr games. Private servers?

I have ps plus stacked until 2025... would I get a refund?
Sony is not changing a thing. They'll add to plus before they remove it. I frankly don't think they're worried about Xbox whatsoever.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
From the business perspective that super risky. If next gen turn out just like current gen then Microsoft are gonna be screwed.
giphy.gif

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are going to completely remove the paywall. It would be alot of lost revenue if Gamepass Revenue doesn't end up making up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.