• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Never really expected to see this franchise come back, but I'm excited for it, even if it is not strictly Perfect Dark. I wonder if it will have more of a futuristic Hitman vibe. The prior games had that open-ended style for a lot of the missions.

BTW, approximately 1/4 of the posts in this thread are some form of concern trolling. It's just so tiring.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017

Era really needs to rethink how much of a platform we give these "insiders", this is getting silly lol

I mean to me it sounds like he saying that to him Perfect Dark is a FPS. There will be elements from PD in this game, such as the sci fi futuristic setting and the espionage. Perhaps is more of a re imagining. Removing the aliens from the story and sort of focusing on a more grounded human story. Also being 3rd person instead of an FPS.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean to me it sounds like he saying that to him Perfect Dark is a FPS. There will be elements from PD in this game, such as the sci fi futuristic setting and the espionage. Perhaps is more of a re imagining. Removing the aliens from the story and sort of focusing on a more grounded human story. Also being 3rd person instead of an FPS.
I feel like the only thing that ties a game to a PD setting is having the main character be Joanna Dark. Literally nothing else about that franchise means anything to anyone, take her away and you just have a futuristic action setting. Which is fine, to be clear.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As long as the music is great, like the two other games, I'm in!

I just need to spend a lot of time downloading it for PC.... bloody Telenor.

Also, alot of concern in this thread. When they don't announce it, then concern... If they do.... concern. People seem very concerned on this site.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
"Clarifying" as in "completely walking back", lol. You're on notice Jeff! Mass Effect remaster in October, I'm holding you to that!
Haha I guess you could interpret it that way. He kinda fixed his comment to be in the same universe or similar universe, but not necessarily that franchise.

Honestly I feel like talking about this when we are likely 3-4 years away from release is moot lol!

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Who the heck is Jeff Grubb? Why am I seeing his name all over rumors and leaks the past few weeks? How often has he been correct?

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
You mean like Grounded, or Ori, or Battletoads, or Sea of Thieves, or Minecraft Dungeons... ?

I actually wish MS released *more* shooters lol, it's a long wait between Gears games.
They released/will release Ori 2, Flight Sim, Grounded, Battle Toads, Gears Tactics, Tell Me Why and helped release Wasteland 3. They announced Hellblade 2, Project Mara, EverWild, Avowed, Fable, and State of Decay 3 over the past year.

None of these games are shooters.

For sure but I wouldn't call anything listed a flagship franchise and the initiatives new game is supposed to be "AAAA" by all accounts do yes. Xbox has a problem where its big tentpole releases are either shooters or forza. Don't get me wrong, I love my xbox and gamepass but I'm not excited to learn that Microsofts big secret project is another shooter. I don't think that's controversial.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't hate this concept actually. Halo obviously dominates first person futuristic shooter on xbox so going third person would be fine if all of the other perfect dark tropes stay intact. There's technically gears but overall there's more fps's than Third person shooters so It could work if done well.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Several people have echoed that exact sentiment. "It's not Perfect Dark but kinda is." Zhuge, Grubb, and Shinobi have all hinted in that same direction now.

Maybe just a full on new IP but taking elements from PD? Like sci-fi, gadgets, and spy stuff as well as maybe some of the tiered mission-based level structure?

Who fucking knows. Jan 28:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Sounds good to me, I hope their change of the formula still means that it'll be a woman-fronted game. Given the fact that it's a huge budget, I doubt it. It'll probably be multiple characters to appease as many markets as possible, I imagine.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Several people have echoed that exact sentiment. "It's not Perfect Dark but kinda is." Zhuge, Grubb, and Shinobi have all hinted in that same direction now.

Maybe just a full on new IP but taking elements from PD? Like sci-fi, gadgets, and spy stuff as well as maybe some of the tiered mission-based level structure?

Who fucking knows. Jan 28:

Oh hi

I have said this a couple of times. You guys remember that "Shangheist" game from Black Tusk that was teased back in the day in 2013. Black Tusk is now Coalition btw.
I can see TI taking that game and working on it.

TI and Coalition seem to work with eachother more then normally. And being "linked' for a long time now.
Spencer said "new and old" Its a new game but "old" in a way that it was already shown
Game was wrapping up pre production and then the Gears IP thing happened and Black Tusk took that.
This also explains maybe that they can show something now. The game was already being worked on and they didnt start fully from scratch.
Linkedin descriptions " various weapons, gadgets, and a camera surveillance system" could fit that game also. As it was some sort of "spy game" also
I dont know. I am not fully in the PD corner.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For sure but I wouldn't call anything listed a flagship franchise and the initiatives new game is supposed to be "AAAA" by all accounts do yes. Xbox has a problem where its big tentpole releases are either shooters or forza. Don't get me wrong, I love my xbox and gamepass but I'm not excited to learn that Microsofts big secret project is another shooter. I don't think that's controversial.

🤷‍♂️

They had a game show recently where they announced several AAA/high production titles that aren't a shooter.

With more developers like Compulsion and inXile working behind the scenes on games that most likely won't be shooters/shooting heavy (like Halo/Gears).

They literally created a brand new team from the ground up to work on Fable. Avowed should be solid. We'll probably get Outer Worlds 2 down the line. Hellblade 2 is promising. Forza Motorsport has been announced, and Forza Horizon 5 is most likely in the works. Undead Labs has more than doubled in size and is working on a AAA State of Decay project.

You're initial post said you hope they "try something different" - and im looking at the list above and saying they just announced tons of variety.

On top of that, "shooting" is such a broad term. Halo, Deus Ex, Uncharted, Last of Us, Splinter Cell, and Gears are all "shooters".

I'm not saying you need to be excited about it - if it's not your cup of tea it is what it is (I'm sadly not a fan of the Souls genre myself). I'm just pointing out Microsoft has invested in a lot of its studios and seems to be offering more AAA-non shooter experiences in the future.

Oct 28, 2017
You're adding a lot of speculation there. Not accusing the guy of anything unseemly, but if your speculation is the case why not just come out and say that then? Or if not comfortable with that, why say anything at all?

Seems like that kind of vague-tweeting is a recipe for:

Tweet 1: "Msoft has a team working on a new Perfect Dark"

(someone challenges the tweet)

Tweet 2: "What I MEANT was that the game may take a few pages from the old Rare game but be different"

(people spend pages and pages of forum posts speculating and hyping themselves up over months, maybe years)

Game Is Announced: Is a totally non-PD related game with some arbitrarily similar elements

Tweet 3: I never MEANT it was really Perfect Dark, just that I had heard some things that sounded similar. Things may have changed in development.

Leakers and insiders know what tweets like this to do discussion forums/social media. Be clear, or keep it to yourself.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Would have preferred new IP. But I won't complain too much about a Naughty Dog style AAAA game but set in a universe far more interesting imo

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so perhaps it's a new cyberpunk spy game using Perfect Dark as inspiration?

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well, Apex works very similarly to TitanFall in terms of gameplay(IIRC), but besides some references it doesn't have much connections with either game, so I wonder to what extent Jeff's analogy will be true with this remake/reboot/sequel/whatever it is .

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
If this isn't strictly PD and is third-person, I wonder if this is testing the waters for a full PD comeback? I'd love a first person new entry in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Third-person action/stealth with a Blade Runner vibe would be amazing.
Seriously. Perfect Dark has such a great Blade Runner-esque aesthetic to its cities.
maxresdefault.jpg

latest

ENH3NkjWsAAAhD5.jpg

A third-person game set in this universe with all the fun weapons and gadgets (as hinted at in the Initiative's job postings) sounds amazing.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So I'm confused. It's not Perfect Dark, but it is Perfect Dark? Lol

Almost sounds like a new IP that takes ideas from PD. But then why not just make a PD? If the game is going to have PD in the title, then it IS a PD game. Otherwise, this is slightly confusing.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused. It's not Perfect Dark, but it is Perfect Dark? Lol

Almost sounds like a new IP that takes ideas from PD. But then why not just make a PD? If the game is going to have PD in the title, then it IS a PD game. Otherwise, this is slightly confusing.

Seems like it's set in the Perfect Dark universe, but at the same time it is it's own thing (Not a FPS, might not focus on Joanna, etc). We'll see I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.