• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

Jeff Garlin Exits ‘The Goldbergs’ Following HR Investigations Into On-Set Behavior

Jeff Garlin is departing 'The Goldbergs' following multiple misconduct allegations and HR investigations.

ABC's long-running comedy The Goldbergs lost a series regular when George Segal died earlier this year. Now another star who plays a member of the Goldbergs clan, Jeff Garlin, is departing following multiple misconduct allegations and HR investigations.

According to sources, a mutually agreement was reached today that Garlin will not be returning to the show. His exit is effective immediately. Reps for Sony Pictures Television, which produces the comedy, had no comment.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Eesh

…they spoke of a great work environment on the show where cars and crew members love each other, which would change dramatically on the days Garlin is on set.

He did note his penchant for dropping the word "vagina" on the set. According to sources, his go-to jokes that some find offensive are talking about grandma's vagina, balls and brassier. Additionally, he would not address some longtime female crew members by name using instead nicknames that some also consider offensive.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
On December 3, 2021, Vanity Fair published an article revealing Garlin had been under investigation for three years for "allegedly engag[ing] in a pattern of verbal and physical conduct on [the set of The Goldbergs] that made people uncomfortable." The report found that he had used "inappropriate language", and engaged in "unwanted physical contact" on set such as hugging or touching others without their consent.

Christ.

I have to imagine they'll just end the show at this point rather than renew it for a 10th season.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Christ.

I have to imagine they'll just end the show at this point rather than renew it for a 10th season.
better off, the show has been terrible for a good few years now. i can't think of any family-based sitcom that has managed to stay funny when the kids grew up. Roseanne is probably the best example, up until the awful final season

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can only hear Suzy talking shit to him. That's gross, why do people think talking like that is at ALL appropriate? Like when was saying this ever associated with being funny and not just making more people feel terribly uncomfortable?? Boo this man. Way to be the root cause of making people's working days shittier or downright horrible.

curbyourenthusiasm-susie.gif

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Explains the hiatus and I expect the show's about to come to an end anyway and an interview I saw a week or two ago, Garlin expected the same, he's probably getting paid the reason of his contract.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
According to a source on the show, a camera assistant made a complaint to her department head about Garlin's use of the word. After the actor found out, he reportedly put his hands around her and kept saying "vagina" in her face over and over again.
Toss the abusive sexist fuck into the sun.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The only longtime friends Conan's going to end up with is Andy Richter and Lisa Kudrow at this point.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He used to be on Doug Loves Movies all the time (I can't stand that show anymore) and would mention grandma's genitals like every time.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The Variety interview or whatever it was he did recently was really telling, the interviewer was constantly telling him he was in trouble and he just didn't get it.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
goddamn, they even made a curb episode where he basically get mistaken repeatedly as Harvey Weinstein.
why can't he shut his hole, so disappointed..

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
According to an eyewitness of the incident, Garlin did not appear to be joking as he walked behind the female stand-in. "He screamed at her, 'why are you always in my way? Get the f*ck out of my way' as she was walking down the ramp on the set after they had done blocking for a scene. She was confused and looked around." Garlin then turned to the woman's husband,, saying, "tell your wife to get the f*ck out of my way".

Fucking lunatic

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listened to a few podcasts he was on and he always came across as a deluded prick that thinks he's way funnier than he is.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recently saw him as part of a comedy jam in The Comedy Store and this is all he could talk about in his set and how bullshit it was. Said they couldn't fire the only Jew off the Goldbergs lol

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
bummer to hear, haven't watched Goldberg in years but it used to be a show we would watch as a family, the mom Bev is absolutely hilarious (she was a big timer on Mad TV). I can't honestly believe the show is still running, its gotta be like 8 or 9 seasons at this point which is kinda nuts. The kids were all so small when we watched!

I wonder how you even write him off, he plays the titular dad of the show and for a sitcom seems kinda weird to write off a figure like that. I guess the grandpa had to be written off too recently though since the actor died IRL in the last year (RIP).

Its good to hear stories like this aired out, better to expose all this to the sun and let people know there is absolutely zero tolerance for this kind of behavior than let it fester and rot like it has for decades. Sadly I think the kind of creeps who do this kind of thing always think they aren't doing anything wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I saw him on some podcast, maybe Joe Rogan? And he talked about how he didn't understand the comedy in The Goldbergs or why people liked. Guess it kind of makes sense with what he tosses around as "funny".

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, the grandma's vagina stuff rings true, I think he made similar jokes when he was on Doug Loves Movies.

Guy enjoys being irreverent/shocking since he's not all that clever/funny as a comedian.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Really sucks that the allegations are is true, because he was great on the show.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Around Abuse Allegations
Meh. Show was ending this season anyway. He still on Curb it's all good.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope for all of the cast members and workers on that show that they decide to keep going despite Garlin leaving. Would be shitty for his abuse to be the reason that they all have to find new work. Shame the idiot couldn't just improve his behaviour which I'm sure is all anyone really wanted

(I've never seen the show and don't particularly care if it's cancelled otherwise)

I hope he doesn't return to Curb. But I also hope that doesn't spell the end of the show. I can't imagine Larry returning without Jeff, though, so either Larry sticks his head in the sand or he just decides not to continue which he may have already been on the fence about?

I also understand why this may have only been a problem on The Goldbergs. Like he conceded himself in the VF interview, that's maybe the only place where he's the face of the show, the alpha. After some time of that on set he probably started to act more like himself, whereas on Curb he's a supporting actor and surrounded by adult comedians so there's less room for his ego and abuse to take over.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Garlin gave a huge interview to Vanity Fair a couple of weeks ago on this. Evidently an effort to spin the PR toward the postiive but he comes off horribly in the article:

www.vanityfair.com

“No, I Have Not Been Fired From ‘The Goldbergs’”: Jeff Garlin Responds to Talk of Misbehavior on Set

The comic, who also appears on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ calls ‘V.F.’—and answers some uncomfortable questions.

This interview is just bizarre

Oct 25, 2017
El Centro, CA
Soooo on the Goldbergs specifically, do they kill him off or recast?

I do love how on Curb, they have totally set up a plot angle where Susie totally does Jeff in. Last season it was implied she was setting up a surprise party for Jeff in order to possibly kill him (Jeff having a bad heart and all) and currently this season she finally has proof of his cheating ass and will likely be out for blood.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man he seems like a real asshole which is a shame because I love him on Curb. I can't imagine Curb without him though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For everyone mentioning Curb, remember that the show has no scripts, just descriptions of the scenes. So Jeff Garlin things up the things that Jeff Greene says.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
Makes the running gag of him dropping his pants and sitting around in his underwear all the more weird.

murray-goldberg-pants.gif

Shame though. As I still enjoy the show, even if it definitely is past its prime. Don't think it will get renewed anyway. Might as well end it with Erica's wedding.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Garlin gave a huge interview to Vanity Fair a couple of weeks ago on this. Evidently an effort to spin the PR toward the postiive but he comes off horribly in the article:

www.vanityfair.com

“No, I Have Not Been Fired From ‘The Goldbergs’”: Jeff Garlin Responds to Talk of Misbehavior on Set

The comic, who also appears on ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm,’ calls ‘V.F.’—and answers some uncomfortable questions.
That's a fascinating interview. Just that it happened at all in the first place. And that it is so unfiltered. It's interesting to get this much context and nuance regarding someone's ideas around a situation like this.

Even though they spend a lot of words going over it, I am incapable of understanding the disconnect he has where he apparently can't acknowledge that HR represents real people with real issues regarding his behavior, that it's not just some department entity trying to tell him what to do.

He says he understands why people might feel the need to go the HR route, and he ought to understand that HR can not provide specifics about reports they receive, to the person that is being reported. So when he suggests he needs to know what specific behavior someone took issue with and why, in order for him to be convinced that he would need to change that behavior, or have more of a personal, human connection to complaints in order to compmartmentalize them as being "real", he must know that he's describing an untenable situation in which he will never change his behavior and it will continue making people feel uncomfortable.
Meh. Show was ending this season anyway. He still on Curb it's all good.
This comes across as incredibly dismissive of people who report HR violations.