• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be people that buy games on their android phones and they are going to be like wow, phone games have really come a long way

And then 10 hours later, they get the message from their mobile carrier "you've reached your data limit - buy an extra 10 gigs for £20". Or they walk off somewhere without incredible internet and the game stops working.........People aren't as stupid as you make out lol

Also Stadia need to be upfront about it being a streaming service or they are going get done in by advertising standards agencies / consumer laws lol. Good luck tricking people into streaming games when you literally need to tell people that when signing up to likely not be breaking the law

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. I just got off Stadia here at the office, where I have 1000/1000, and Stadia mostly worked 'fine'. If feels a bit like some of the more ambitious PS3/360 titles, where there is a very deliberate/heavy effect. You're turning, then you let go of the stick, and the character seems to take a little extra time to stop moving. Similarly, tapping to ADS or jump, feels heavy. Definitely easier with controller. Coming from high refresh Gysnc, the mouse/kb with the added streaming latency is almost enough to make me feel ill.

With most of those games, the "deliberate/heavy" effect had the same cause: An engine with horrendous input lag problems. Killzone and pretty much all RAGE engine Rockstar games are examples.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine at the end of that demo a prompt pops up saying "give us money" and people are like "nah I'm good"

More like, "This game's pretty cool. I'm gonna go buy it on a platform where I own it. Or at least can play it locally. Cause, yeah, nothing is really owned these days."

I'd totally use this service as a place to play demos. It'd be awesome. Don't see any money in that model, but it'd be great for consumers.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only time Stadia's outlook seemed especially positive was when it's delivery model was unclear and everyone (or me, at least) thought it would be like Netflix. Ever since that was cleared up I've been much more dubious about how successful it can be.

Anyways, I'm glad it's flopping, because fuck google.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I can't imagine paying full price for a game that I have no aspect of on my end. Is the small convenience of being able to play a game anywhere on Chrome really worth giving up the last vestigial stump of ownership that we had of our game licence? "Acshully....We never owned our games" We owned a licenced copy in the same way we owned licenced copies of blu ray movies, not the rights to the movie as a whole. Games ain't special. The industry might want to make a case that they are, and that rules shouldn't apply to them, but they can fuck off with that nonsense. I own what I buy. I buy a licence, then I own that licence. If they don't want me to own a game anymore, then make a Netflix of games for an equivalent price, don't charge retail prices for shit that isn't sold to us. Convenience isn't worth putting up with games industry bullshit and giving away consumer rights. I want Stadia to die on it's arse in it's current form. The likes of Game Pass are WAY better.

TAoVG

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea like I said in my last post on the last page imagine cyberpunk launch trailer having a play now prompt with a 1 hr stadia demo

That scenario would bring the infrastructure to its knees. Imagine millions of people clicking to just try it, hammering the infrastructure for a high end demo, even at 720p. That would sink Stadia faster in the minds of consumers than just about anything. Especially in early days, this infrastructure is not built for peak volume, but fractional.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That scenario would bring the infrastructure to its knees. Imagine millions of people clicking to just try it, hammering the infrastructure for a high end demo, even at 720p. That would sink Stadia faster in the minds of consumers than just about anything. Especially in early days, this infrastructure is not built for peak volume, but fractional.
Guess we will find out if it happens or with a similar game later on

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I can't imagine paying full price for a game that I have no aspect of on my end. Is the small convenience of being able to play a game anywhere on Chrome really worth giving up the last vestigial stump of ownership that we had of our game licence? "Acshully....We never owned our games" We owned a licenced copy in the same way we owned licenced copies of blu ray movies, not the rights to the movie as a whole. Games ain't special. The industry might want to make a case that they are, and that rules shouldn't apply to them, but they can fuck off with that nonsense. I own what I buy. I buy a licence, then I own that licence. If they don't want me to own a game anymore, then make a Netflix of games for an equivalent price, don't charge retail prices for shit that isn't sold to us. Convenience isn't worth putting up with games industry bullshit and giving away consumer rights. I want Stadia to die on it's arse in it's current form. The likes of Game Pass are WAY better.
Well said.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Besides library (a very valid complaint) what have been the biggest stumbles? Marketing? Mismatched target market?
I'm not sure the target market even exists to be honest; someone who wants to play high quality games but owns no device to already do so. If you wanted to play something like Destiny 2 or RDR2 you have had plenty of time to make that happen already

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To be fair to Nintendo, when they entered the mini consoles the market was deader than disco.
No one could shift any unit for years.
Nintendo couldn't guess that people would suddenly like their stuffs because everyone else was actually pushing literal crap.
Fast forward a few years and even Sony can't shift units!
Nintendo didn't just strike when the iron was hot with the classic consoles, they were the iron.

I do hope the Genesis/Mega Drive mini ended up doing ok though.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
To play devils advocate, Google have a lot of up front costs to cover

I think this is part of the reason Google wanted to get early adopter money with the forced $129 hardware purchase. There is a real cost to the hardware you are running the game on at the server, scaling up to support millions of concurrent users requires a big investment and I doubt blades can be re-purposed for their generic cloud compute offerings (could well be wrong here) or at least would more expensive than their standard compute hardware

Offering free 1080/60 requires expensive investment on Google's part especially considering that the console makers all charge you for online (NSO being cheaper but still not $0)

I really dont see why they didnt have a bunch of free indie games up there with a pro subscription, gives something else to play and doesnt directly compete with the AAA releases

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking bananas to me that you have to pay for the right to stream individual games.

888.jpg

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
Saying this "launch" isn't going to affect the lay-person's perception of Stadia is the same useless argument people used when the Xbone launch was announced and happened. How well did that go for their hardware department again? Oh yeah (as some posters won't stop reciting), there is no need for hardware for Stadia, so you actually think this WON'T affect word of mouth? It always has in this industry and will continue to do so. Regular gamers (like me and pretty much anyone in a sales dept. in a store) will never recommend this to a new user, even if it's old news.

It's happened before and it will definitely happen again.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Does the Stadia controller spawn in my hand when I press that button?

you could use xbox/ps controller which most people watching a cyberpunk trailer would have, besides the pc thing.

and yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if Stadia's success has proved streaming is inevitable. Things like twitch streamers being able to invite viewers directly, save states interchangeable and in the cloud, no loading 100GB to play a game but it's all instant and to any save state. The things they've teased about massive multiplayer game possibilities because it's all in the cloud. The big issue is latency, but I feel like after a point it could be improved to where noone cares. It's like why mp3 beat CD's despite CD's having better sound quality. At a certain point noone cared. the way people in the stadia thread are saying it works pretty great is also swaying me.

on top of that you're decoupled from hardware power. yes ps5/scarlett might trump stadia/whatever at first, but the latter are sliding scales and they can just keep amping the power of an instance incrementally. which is something dedicated hardware cant really ever match.

The last gen has really reached a point where there's a tipping point with barriers to play with the fact all games MUST be installed etc. I saw a very casual gamer, a female, lamenting on social media how in Super Nintendo days you could just plug and play and how she missed it. Now, PS5 generation supposedly is going to help that with SSD's etc, but you're still always going to be looking at an initial large install at least. The whole "you'll download one level and then the rest will download while you're playing the first level" thing has been talked about forever and never actually happens and I suspect is technically infeasible, for one thing you have to download the whole framework of the game, UI etc, to play one level, and who knows how all the data ties together.

This streaming goes all the way the other direction, everything will be instant.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you could use xbox/ps controller which most people watching a cyberpunk trailer would have, besides the pc thing.

and yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if Stadia's success has proved streaming is inevitable. Things like twitch streamers being able to invite viewers directly, save states interchangeable and in the cloud, no loading 100GB to play a game but it's all instant and to any save state. The things they've teased about massive multiplayer game possibilities because it's all in the cloud. The big issue is latency, but I feel like after a point it could be improved to where noone cares. It's like why mp3 beat CD's despite CD's having better sound quality. At a certain point noone cared. the way people in the stadia thread are saying it works pretty great is also swaying me.
But like the point of stadia is to appeal to people not wanting to invest in those systems. If theyve already invested in those systems why would they choose the most inferior version of the game that they wont even actually own?

And why are we taking them at their word about those features you mentioned when weve already seen they flat out werent honest about the features the beta launched with?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they switch to an all you can eat, £10 a month system I'm in. If they try to push it as it currently is moving forward it'll be an Incredibly easy thing to ignore.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Judging by what's happened to YouTube I fully expect the free version of Stadia to come with unskippable advertising.

Jan 9, 2018
You can get a stadia with chromecast and 1 year of stadia theoretically for $250
If they fix the issues and it can handle 4K that's way cheaper than next gen systems plus you'd have money left over to buy games .
I'm still gonna get a ps5 and Xbox 10 because I love their ecosystems and exclusives but I feel like google can still fight

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can get a stadia with chromecast and 1 year of stadia theoretically for $250
If they fix the issues and it can handle 4K that's way cheaper than next gen systems plus you'd have money left over to buy games .
I'm still gonna get a ps5 and Xbox 10 because I love their ecosystems and exclusives but I feel like google can still fight
10 dollar subs per month for 4k will not end up being cheaper than next gen consoles. Its also unclear if they will actually be able to get to 4k, unclear if they can get to 60fps, in addition to input lag, reliance on internet, and not owning the games you purchase.

I just dont see how thats competitive, or who that market is aimed at. Especially with these reviews right now.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Judging by what's happened to YouTube I fully expect the free version of Stadia to come with unskippable advertising.

People forget that Google is first and foremost an advertising company. Whatever they're trying to do with Stadia, and it's not particularly clear that they know themselves, will eventually involve shoving more ads into people's faces.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Mobile users are going to switch on the service, see games for $60, close it, and never use it again.