• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I think it can recover. However, there could be no recovering required if it wasn't released in a half-assed state. Not sure why it was so rushed.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
This is very reminiscent to me right now of that Silicon Valley episode where Hooli launch their streaming platform.

Spoilers, I suppose.

Seems to me like Stadia was the equivalent of a scrappy start up inside a massive company, faced with all the same challenges of 'disrupting' tech with 'fledgling' solutions as smaller companies with less capital behind them.

Not that I'm all schadenfruede about it. I never liked the pitch of this thing but this has been a brutal two days for people who worked on this platform

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's a bit premature to call it a flop isn't it?
Games running at half the performance and resolution promised, $60 for a 2 year old Tomb Raider game, extra 50ms latency accross the board, obviously compressed image quality, none of it's big features available at launch, I think it's pretty safe to call it like I see it

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
We absolutely know that, because Nintendo has shared those numbers. Over 70% of Switch players use their systems in handheld mode some of the time, and over 45% in handheld only mode most of the time. Switch Lite, the handheld only SKU of the console, has also sold 2 million units in 15 days.
The appeal is absolutely there. Portable and on the go gaming is the only form of gaming that makes sense with the modern lifestyle for non enthusiasts. Google just fucked it up.

Would be interesting to know how Apple Arcade is doing.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know who asked for Stadia in the first place or why I would agree to it's strange pricing structure. What is google doing?

I wasn't interested by the initial pitch, but I was willing to see how it performed, what people liked about it, and if it eventually appealed to me down the line.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it would be cool someone compares stadia latency and compare it to PSnow to see how much better it is

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The UI/UX needed to be solid on day 1. Everyone knew the actual act of streaming games would be relatively fine considering how well project stream was received last year, the UX was the unknown and it is not nearly as strong as it needs to be in order to compete with next year's crop of new platforms

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe in terms of the tech, but getting latency and having it be adopted in mass market is still longer ways off. So much of the united states alone average speed is less than 100mbps.

We just got 100 couple years ago in my area for consumer grade internet.

I mean it will be an option for sure, but to have it be as good or on par image quality wise as local rendered image? It's going to be a while.
In terms of consumer base and actual accessibility. 100mbs is more than enough for streaming too, 30+ is enough (still probably higher than the average though), It'll probably never be on par with dedicated hardware either (well at least not for decades probably), it wouldn't need to be though, just good enough, it's be down to convenience it takes off more than anything.
In 5 years I can see game streaming being at the same point, digital was on consoles at the start of this gen.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The gigantic leap in thought from « below expectations » to « monumental flop » is a rather sensationalistic take

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The UI/UX needed to be solid on day 1. Everyone knew the actual act of streaming games would be relatively fine considering how well project stream was received last year, the UX was the unknown and it is not nearly as strong as it needs to be in order to compete with next year's crop of new platforms
It can't even compete with the xbox 360. At least that has achievement support and lets you buy games on the actual system instead of your phone.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia being a bad name doesn't help matters. It sounds so corporate to me for some reason. Or like a special yogurt that stabilizes your gut bacteria or something.

Oct 27, 2017
That's why streaming can't work on a full scale yet. Google can't switch to a Netflix like model and get new releases especially AAA because pubs need $60 for them at launch. Chicken and the egg situation

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hate to rain on some people's parade, but I'm so fucking happy and relieved to see this. As far as I'm concerned, game streaming can rot in hell. I want my stable low-latency local hardware thank you very much.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I would trust Jason Schreier to known what he's talking about, his track record is stellar and he's one of the few actual game journalists these days.

Also if you just use your eyes and ears and critical thinking you can tell that Stadia is a monumental flop.

No, I think it's strange how quickly people want to declare Stadia as dead.

The amount of people willing to pay $130 for hardware to play Stadia isn't representative of the plans for Stadia going forward. This is an 'Early Access' phase of the project.

If they cancel plans for the free tier, or state it will forever be limited to Pixel phones, then I could understand extrapolating its failure. But Stadia is in flux still.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
They made the No Man's Sky mistake. All they had to do was slap early access onto the branding and all this bad publicity turns into oh it's still in development.

Pretty much this. Also, given that an "early access" is essentially what it is, can you even call it a "flop"? A flop in marketing an early access by calling it a "launch", maybe, but it's still way to early to have any meaningful insight into whether the platform itself is done for.

Hate to rain on some people's parade, but I'm so fucking happy and relieved to see this. As far as I'm concerned, game streaming can rot in hell. I want my stable low-latency local hardware thank you very much.

I have to say, the emotional attachment some have about something like this is pretty amusing. "The relief!" Oh my heart. ;)

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Said it before I'll say it again..I don't know who Stadia is even for? If you have the internet required to support this service you probably have enough money to just buy a damn console anyway. And with the recent RDR2 analysis from DF you can't even say it's to get high end PC performance levels as it's not even on par with XB1X.

The thing seems utterly pointless.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
No, I think it's strange how quickly people want to declare Stadia as dead.

The amount of people willing to pay $130 for hardware to play Stadia isn't representative of the plans for Stadia going forward. This is an 'Early Access' phase of the project.

If they cancel plans for the free tier, or state it will forever be limited to Pixel phones, then I could understand extrapolating its failure. But Stadia is in flux still.
They dont even know who their audience is. Nobody wants to pay $60 to stream a 2 yr old tomb raider game, and it's running games nowhere even close to maxed out 4k60. This thing is fucked unless they rethink some things.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

You're happy and yet cloud gaming is here to stay and will continue to get bigger. lol

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It needs to either be a free service where you only pay for the games, or a subscription service where games are included. Both is just too confusing and too expensive.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
thats not proven as we dont know how many switch owners use switch exclusively as handheld.beside Nintendo has spent 30 years fostering handheld market so it has its own fans. no other gaming company can say that when it comes to handheld . i m not saying it doesnt exist but "2.5 billlion gamers" doesn't exist

How many millions of people play Fortnite or PUBG on mobile ? If the tech actually worked do you think they would care if it was local or streamed ?

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I think Google's product is so weak right now that another company could come in and eat their lunch within Google's launch year if it's going to be like this for them. If Valve came and dropped their $10 a month to play your steam games anywhere, it'd suck the sole out of Stadia completely.
Edit: (I mean you can already stream your Steam library anywhere if you know what you're doing) By streaming your Steam library I mean by spinning up a cloud server that serves your games to you.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Said it before I'll say it again..I don't know who Stadia is even for? If you have the internet required to support this service you probably have enough money to just buy a damn console anyway. And with the recent RDR2 analysis from DF you can't even say it's to get high end PC performance levels as it's not even on par with XB1X.

The thing seems utterly pointless.
There's literally zero reason to get Stadia.

If you want gaming on a mobile device you get a Switch.
If you want high fidelity gaming on a big screen you get an Xbox or PS4.
If you want to stream games you go xCloud because it's way more feature rich than Stadia.

Like honestly, who the fuck is this for? No one is going to buy this thing unless they're randomly all in with Google.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
We absolutely know that, because Nintendo has shared those numbers. Over 70% of Switch players use their systems in handheld mode some of the time, and over 45% in handheld only mode most of the time. Switch Lite, the handheld only SKU of the console, has also sold 2 million units in 15 days.
The appeal is absolutely there. Portable and on the go gaming is the only form of gaming that makes sense with the modern lifestyle for non enthusiasts. Google just fucked it up.

If thats supposed to be the target audience then we can wait at least 5 years before this becomes mainstream. Have you seen the bandwidth requirements? Its pretty obvious they werent targeting mobile gamers first.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in cloud tech and hope improvements are made to latency and such, but the value proposition for Stadia was absolutely terrible so I think this was expected. The launch was rushed and ways to play seem so limited. It should be easy to get into cloud gaming, but Stadia seems to make it so difficult.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
thats not proven as we dont know how many switch owners use switch exclusively as handheld.beside Nintendo has spent 30 years fostering handheld market so it has its own fans. no other gaming company can say that when it comes to handheld . i m not saying it doesnt exist but "2.5 billlion gamers" doesn't exist
We have actual data from nintendo saying that most people use the switch in both ways, as intended

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Yet another streaming service under performs. All eyes on Xcloud now to deliver.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
There's literally zero reason to get Stadia.

If you want gaming on a mobile device you get a Switch.
If you want high fidelity gaming on a big screen you get an Xbox or PS4.
If you want to stream games you go xCloud because it's way more feature rich than Stadia.

Like honestly, who the fuck is this for? No one is going to buy this thing unless they're randomly all in with Google.

The mobile gamer who isn't satisfied with Switch graphics or performance is a good candidate.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
They have no demos, they are doing the "separate platform" thing requiring me to rebuy games I already own, at full price.
Who wants to pay full price for old games without knowing how it'll work?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
They dont even know who their audience is. Nobody wants to pay $60 to stream a 2 yr old tomb raider game, and it's running games nowhere even close to maxed out 4k60. This thing is fucked unless they rethink some things.

The concept has an audience. As console prices decrease the player base increases. Stadia is positioned as a 'console' that you can access for $0.

Google haven't realized the concept yet. It's a service behind a $130 paywall, and that isn't their pitch. They appear to still be working towards that pitch. I don't think declaring Stadia's failure while they are still actively progressing towards their goal makes sense.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How many millions of people play Fortnite or PUBG on mobile ? If the tech actually worked do you think they would care if it was local or streamed ?

they are there but they r interested in only casual friendly games . not catalogs of hardcore games. isn't it cheaper and better to develop these few casual friendly games locally for mobile than go through all this latency issues world wide?

maybe in 8 years when infrastructure is better i agree there are some potentials there(again not 2.5 billion as candy crsuh players are not playing asssasin creed oddessy even if you pay them) .

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing complex games on a smaller screen is an extremely appealing proposition with a huge market, that's why the Switch is so successful.

Google's take on the concept is just a dud, if not in theory, then in execution.

Nobody is arguing portable gaming has no place in society: I assure you that if the switch had random tiny hiccups, and required an insane amount of bandwidth, not to mention a terrible form factor, it would have died a very quick death.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile gamer who isn't satisfied with Switch graphics or performance is a good candidate.
Again, in that case you go xCloud. An infinitely larger library, ability to play games via streaming or locally, Achievements, screenshot/video sharing, an exponentially larger pool of other gamers to play with, a subscription model that actually makes sense, etc... etc.. None of which Stadia currently has.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
But it also isn't the service Google want Stadia to be - a console experience that is fully hardware agnostic. They're still working towards that.

I don't see a weak soft launch as grounds to call Stadia a 'monumental flop'. The amount of people willing to spend $130 on hardware to play Stadia isn't representative of their plans going forward.

You're right that they can turn this around, but bad PR is bad PR, it's just such a bizarre launch. They might as well try to rebrand it when it goes free at this point.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Google made 2 massive mistakes in my opinion:
  1. Not having a Xbox Game Pass/PlayStation Now style sub which gives you access to a big library of games for a monthly fee
  2. Lack of exclusive content. The day Stadia was greenlit is the same day Google should have started building/acquiring studios and signing multiple exclusive 3rd party deals with at least a few ready for launch with a few others being ready in the year after launch

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
"Question is, will they eventually stop trying to sell games and switch to an all-you-can-eat subscription model? Or just let it die?"

Ah. Let me help you with that question. They will let it die. Google will most definitely let it die. Sad times for the investors ahead.