• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Suikoden II, the greatest game ever made" <- A take I might not be in 100% agreement with, but one I would help anybody defend.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Huge blow for Kotaku. Best journalist in the industry by far. Has he said which outlet he's going to? Whichever it is, I hope they aren't beholden to the publishers. Jason is at his best when he reports the stories no one else will and the outlet he is writing for is willing to make enemies.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Schreier has always been the absolute best, I hope he has a wonderful time with his family and I'll definitely be giving the podcast a follow. I hope he transitions to somewhere great - it's a huge blow to Kotaku, but his work will always be greatly appreciated wherever he lands.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where he goes now. Maybe Vice Gaming? They have a solid crew over there with some other ex-Kotaku peeps.

Probably WaPo's new gaming section

Launcher is looking for original reporting — features, profiles, reported analysis and more — and we want to hear from you. Launcher aims to be an authoritative, clarifying voice on the video game industry and the culture and mass audience that has developed around it. We hope you'll help us, by pitching stories about the creators, companies and communities that are changing the industry.

launcher3ekkw.png

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Salute to our beloved press sneak fuck.

I hope the new gig is great, and he and his family are healthy and happy!

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Jason -- I know it must feel bittersweet to leave Kotaku behind, but G/O Media needed Jason more than Jason needed G/O Media. He's undoubtedly only going to move from success to success in whatever venture he has planned.

And yes, Suikoden II is the greatest game ever made, and I'm glad this headline will remind everyone of this immaculate fact.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to say something like "Yeah! This'll really stick it to Jim Spanfeller and his people!"

But the fact is they probably can't wait to unload all the real journalists from their sites so they can hire content mill types who will write whatever they're told to, and turn the whole company into the kind of place that generates those junk "You'll never believe what this actor looks like now" articles that are linked in the advertising space at the bottom of other sites. In a year Totilo will be gone and Kotaku will just be the Sports Illustrated of games, churning out effusive number-graded reviews by contract writers being paid 2 cents an article.

And some gamers don't seem to want games writing to be more than that.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I feel like there are very few investigative gaming journalists out there, and Jason is hands down the best. Wish him all the luck in the world wherever he goes!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Damn, end of an era.

But it seems pretty risky to change jobs in this economic crisis, especially in the ad-driven industry like games media.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Not shocking, G/O Media is going dumb and there are still some good people on the site left but this is like Tom Brady leaving the Pats

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
But the fact is they probably can't wait to unload all the real journalists from their sites so they can hire content mill types who will write whatever they're told to, and turn the whole company into the kind of place that generates those junk "You'll never believe what this actor looks like now" articles that are linked in the advertising space at the bottom of other sites.
Pretty much.

Jim Spanfeller, the CEO of this company, meanwhile, is best known for growing Forbes.com in the mid-2000s, around the time this website was born. While he was not responsible for the "contributor network" that made Forbes a journalistic laughingstock, he set the stage by demanding increased output at all costs (up to 5,000 stories a day by the end of his tenure). The clickbait and SEO plays and sleazy monetization schemes rejected by Gawker Media were the entire point. Content mills The Active Times and The Daily Meal, which Spanfeller launched and later sold to the Tribune Company at a trivial price, ran the same playbook, and many of his ideas for growing revenue at this company (implementing slideshows to juice pageviews, clogging story pages with ever-more programmatic ads at the expense of user experience) were taken straight from that era—more than a decade ago, or approximately an eon in internet time. The only idealistic belief at Gawker Media was that a journalistic enterprise could make money without scamming people; the guiding principle at Forbes and sites of its ilk was that scams are good as long as they make money.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And there it is. It was a good run for Jason over there, but I'm glad he has the ability to move on to a better environment than what was under G/O Media. I'll certainly follow Triple Click and anything else he sets out with.

Also great to hear how well the book is coming along.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): Trolling. Antagonizing other members. History of similar behavior.
Is this the sony fanboy guy?? New job with dual shockers? Lol

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He does great work. Investigative journalists (especially ones who don't take sides) within the industry are a rarity, and Jason is among the best. Was always funny to me how fans on every side of the fanboy spectrum would claim Jason was against their favoured platform (eg Xbox fans for Jason's next gen dev insider titbits, and PS fans for his ND crunch reporting).

Either way, excited to hear he'll be finishing up the new book, as I enjoyed the first.

jschreier wish you the best of luck on your new endeavours, and hope you find more success.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Kotaku's loss.

Best of luck to jschreier in the future. I very much enjoyed his last book and am looking forward to his next one, and of course all of his future reporting at whichever site has the privilege of hosting his work.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing to me how much Jim Spanfeller seems completely oblivious to how much his actions are ruining his investment.

As for Jason, I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. I've always liked Kotaku's more casual approach to gaming and I'll probably still go there, but losing him is a big blow. I think as long as Stephen Totillo is the EIC, I'll stick around. He's been pretty solid, despite some issues.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I read the word Kotaku, I pretty much read "Jason" so I guess the site is going to disappear from my mind now.