• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Egocentric director coming off massive success is utterly bodied by own hubris. News at 11.

Article did at least confirm where the rot started. Even if it was all horribly predictable.

Deleted member 73264

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
I don't get how there's people still defending CDPR.

My prediction: they will start putting out updates and free content, and fans will trip over themselves to defend the company because they want to like the game. Fast-forward a year from now, barely anyone will remember this mess and Keighley will be giving them a Dorito-smudged Game Award.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much par for the course. Nothing really new here we didnt already know tbh. Prbably the same with Halo whenever he writes that article.
Yeah, it's almost always management and leadership teams that are the root cause to these messed up situations. It doesn't help when the reporting is the same retelling of similar stories. Crunch is bad m'kay. Failing to meet deadlines is bad m'kay, etc. etc.

I really miss some more proactive stories/reporting that can move forward the industry rather than Crunch Horror Story Pt. 1023.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Egocentric. He was hyping this for a while. A lot of hot air, hyping recycled information, and it's behind a paywall.
"Hyping this for a while" = posting a tweet three hours prior apparently.

It's not as great a deep dive as I was hoping from Schrier, but you give off such a "bitch eating crackers" mentality right now.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I don't get how there's people still defending CDPR.
I'm not defending CDProjeckt but I consider that simply saying "Fuck CDProject" won't solve anything. Maybe saying "Fuck Adam Kiciński or fuck Marcin Iwiński" would made more sense because basically the former thing would be insulting people who actually crunched for getting shit done. Also a lot of people are asking themselves why would someone travel from US (or whatever side of the planet for that reason) to Poland to work in such terrible conditions but some of you simply don't realize that working in a huge project like this gives some credit to your CV which would help finding job. The AAA game industry machinery is so rotten that it's simply appalling.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Egocentric. He was hyping this for a while. A lot of hot air, hyping recycled information, and it's behind a paywall.

Maybe check your priorities in life if you are getting hyped by a Bloomberg article?

Seriously, do people get "hyped" by every random thing nowadays?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I love when people call expats instead of immigrants.

Xenophobia. You can not be an immigrant (legal) if you are from the USA or Europe/Japan.

It's generally understood expats will leave after their work is done.

The millions of economic immigrants in latam from the USA, People who can not live with their pensions as comfortably in the USA as they do insome Latam countries say otherwise.

Pretty much this. I don't get why is some people blasting Jason for it. Not all people knows the details of all of this specially I you don't live in a videogame related forum.

Crunch is a terrible activity and something he is helping bring to light. That's commendable. But the bigger story (one he said here in ERA) he will look into it, is still mia.
It seems the slave force is a less important story than CDPR.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
They do. Social media is very effective at this.
Did you miss the other thread before the article went up?

Yea probably. 🤷‍♀️

The crunch horror stories should stop when the crunch stops, not when you get sick of reading about them.

Very much this. It's nice that Jason is writing these articles, they have ripple effects across the industry and are making people more conscious and self-aware of their work practices.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The thing is a lot of this isn't shocking or surprising when you not only consider the leaks/assumptions so far, but also the bullshit operation and management behind a lot of AAA productions, and CDPR's shaky history.

I know they ballooned into a beloved developer post Witcher 3, but I think it's important to remember that CDPR has had development issues on all three of their major titles, and a lot of their production pipelines have grown exponentially and unintentionally during development. The Witcher 1 received several major patch passes culminating with the Enhanced Edition before it was really recognised on an international scale. The Witcher 2, from memory, almost bankrupted the company as it was stuck in development hell, CDPR running out of money and had to cancel the Witcher 1 port/remake that was in development for consoles. The Witcher 3's development was also rocky, requiring a significantly larger volume of staff than intended, a lot of crunch and overtime, an engine that had to have its lighting and shadowing rendering gutted and simplified (amongst other things) as early tech tests ultimately didn't pan out. A lot of what has saved CDPR over the years has been cash injections from partnerships and investments (including government), in addition to TW3's huge success exploding their stock value.

AFAIK even stuff like The Witcher: Thonebreaker, which is excellent, ended up significantly larger than initially intended, chewing up a lot more time and resources that also bumped up the release date by like a year or more past the plan.

A part of me feels CDPR's success and acclaim is a combination of genuine talent (which they obviously have, given the highest quality of their output) and clumsily falling upwards. A lot of the production infrastructure and processes, particularly related to management, just being something they kinda stumbled into on the road to The Witcher 3 that quickly became undone with Cyberpunk.

And as noted by both the article and many others, this is also what happens when you have upper management and boards that are fundamentally out of touch with the development team. A lot of announcements and projections and promises on what the game is going to be and for what platforms, what kind of experiences the players can have, but in practice no real management or oversight to assess how reasonable all of these projections and promises are and if so when they'd actually be made reality.

Management basically went "Well The Witcher 3 worked out, so we'll be fine", when they should have been saying "Fuck me The Witcher 3 was a nightmare to make. How can we ensure our next project's production remedies all the issues and adopts lessons learned?".

I remember when Witcher 2 released and the entire third chapter was like in alpha stage and completely barebones. It wasn't until the enhanced edition that chapter 3 actually was fleshed out and wrapped things up rather than the rush job.

Great posts across the thread, by the way.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm not so sure of that https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-04-bungies-13-year-battle-to-kill-crunch-culture.
Destiny 2 is a long time investment and has all the foundations build from Destiny 1. It is as simple as itearation is a lot easier than creation.
Something that happened over a decade ago compared to what you constantly hear from them in recent years that amounts to basically "we are not going to crunch our employees to give you content"

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm disappointed to read that Jason confirmed that the article is limited to 2000 words by Bloomberg. This is the one story in gaming of 2020 where you want extensive interviews and opinions, thoughts. And we got the condensed version. I'm not trying to complain. But he did say there were more thoughts and quotes from others cut.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Does seem like an article written by someone who blocks you on twitter for calling him out on spreading misinformation. Would be fine on a indie video game blog.

It's amazing how some people feel the need to attack Jason whenever he writes a negative article about a game they like.

Yes, but besides that he's not a good games journalist.

Factually incorrect.

Oct 25, 2017
Without access to the office's console development kits, most developers would play builds of the game on their home computers, so it wasn't clear to everyone how Cyberpunk might run on PS4 and Xbox One. External tests, however, showed clear performance issues.
this explains a lot

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Exactly what I was thinking lol. Apparently you are only an immigrant if you come from a non develop country.
Expats and immigrants are not necessarily the same thing; expats live outside their home country for an indeterminate period, whereas immigrants intend to permanently reside outside their home country. There's definitely a connotation to expat though, usually they're wealthy and educated.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
This crunch culture has got to fucking stop. I don't care how long a game takes to make, if you make it this ambitious, it takes as long as it takes.

CDProjektRed just figured they could ride on the coattails of Witcher 3, which is a really fucked up way of thinking.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
My prediction: they will start putting out updates and free content, and fans will trip over themselves to defend the company because they want to like the game. Fast-forward a year from now, barely anyone will remember this mess and Keighley will be giving them a Dorito-smudged Game Award.

I mean, that ending wouldn't really make them functionally different from Hello Games and No Man's Sky - fake gameplay featuring non-existent features that ultimately never made the cut, unchecked ambition, unrealistic deadline, years of updates and free DLC to improve and complete the experience, and finally... people praising them and giving them awards.

Anyway, to the article itself, "laying tracks in front of a train as you drive it" is a description I've heard for game development in the past, and part of the reason simply shipping a game is considered such an achievement - it's extremely difficult.

This article reminded me a lot of Jason's Anthem one as I was reading it - but substitute "we made Witcher 3" for "Bioware magic". A late 2021-early 2022 release pretty much lines up with where the game seemed to have ended up. It clearly needed another year of work and polish.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm disappointed to read that Jason confirmed that the article is limited to 2000 words by Bloomberg. This is the one story in gaming of 2020 where you want extensive interviews and opinions, thoughts. And we got the condensed version. I'm not trying to complain. But he did say there were more thoughts and quotes from others cut.
Interesting. I have nothing against Bloomberg, but this kind of sucks. Love Schreier's articles and writing, hate that he's hamstrung.

Guess we have to wait for the book lol....

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That truly sucks

So basically he's repeating everything that we've already known. like seriously there's literally nothing new in here. It just seems like he wanted to get his pound of flesh against CDPR and he wrote a long article to do it.

What the fuck is this

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
qhhdsgi9sd851.jpg

all that for a fake demo.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing about this whole scenario that irks me is that it kinda comes across as some shocking expose when these are the exact conditions that 99% of games (esp AAA) are created under. There's nothing to do be done except A.) make more deep-dive pieces about other studios and B.) gamers need to keep in mind that it's not like CDProjekt BAD Rockstar GOOD. The way the entire industry operates is the problem.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"We made The Witcher 3 - It'll work out," has some Big "Bioware Magic" Energy.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Hey I've got an important article coming out tonight. Should post around (time)."

*500,000 people @ Jason*

"It's coming. Just hold on."

Cue people perceiving Jason as an egomaniac for having the audacity to announce when the article is dropping.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
They should've stuck to the 2022 release date and canceled the last-gen versions.
Hey when you're making a game about Corpos ruining everything, why miss an opportunity to let the real-life Corpos ruin everything?

I also agree completely, the last-gen versions shouldn't have happened. The vision outstripped the hardware, but greed in taking advantage of the install base trumped all.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The only thing about this whole scenario that irks me is that it kinda comes across as some shocking expose when these are the exact conditions that 99% of games (esp AAA) are created under. There's nothing to do be done except A.) make more deep-dive pieces about other studios and B.) gamers need to keep in mind that it's not like CDProjekt BAD Rockstar GOOD. The way the entire industry operates is the problem.
Sure, but the article is about CDPR. They've exploited minorities for profit and made a concerted effort to deceive both fans and investors. Doing their best to ensure maximum sales day one by making a concerted effort to obscure the fact their game is broken, buggy and incomplete. Pointing to other companies and going "they're also bad!" is just weird. We also have threads about them, when articles and news breaks about them.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
lol....
I mean I get it when companies sometimes make "fake" trailers to hide story and gameplay details. But to do a fake demo, wasting months.....
Just wow. Talk about misleading and lying to everyone. Fans, media, customers, etc.
I can't believe developers saw what happened with Halo 2, Bioshock Infinite, and Watch Dogs yet keep doing this shit. Wasting months on a fake advertisement is such a short sighted move that generally hurts the reputation of the teams and franchises long term.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I just checked out the E3 2018 thread and it is amazing to see the contrast between how the game was received then and now. Maybe they should've waited until 2019 to show any extended gameplay.
This is the one new bit from the article that doesn't feel right. I still don't buy that the demo was "almost entirely" faked. There was obvious some features cut down but the quest structure with Maelstrom and Meredith, Dex, plays out exactly like what was shown in the demo. The visuals were actually upgraded. The combat is also the same.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that sucks. Sounds like Bloomberg just isn't a fit for the kind of deep dive stuff. How long has Jason been with them?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe someone gave it an award citing that it may be the best video game ever made from a slice of a demo shown behind doors, when the game was two years away from releasing. Jesus.

yeahhh, really hope that was a learning moment for the person in question

to be fair, though, the amount of "this might end up being the best game ever!!" sentiment out there was quite something in general