• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
0% chance that happens given the PS5 is out next year and future entries will be released on that rather than PS4. It's within the realm of possibility this first part gets a re-release on PS5 and thus the entire thing is eventually available on that platform, but I wouldn't say that is a guarantee at this point. It is pretty possible the last part may not be until PS6. By making Midgar alone a game, this is going to have to be 4 games minimum at the scale they're going for. Possibly more.
I don't think that's a guarantee. I don't expect the rest of the game to be expanded in the way they seem to be expanding on Midgar.

I'm still thinking that a trilogy is the sweet spot. Any longer than that and the project would start wearing thin on people. I made a post somewhere on here a week or two back where I compared the Post Midgar -> City of the Ancients Plot to the plot of FFXII and it lined up relatively well. I think its very possible to wrap up post-Midgar FFVII's story in two games with modern production values, provided you make smart design decisions.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who's talking about forums or websites? A simple flip of the box will suffice. If that is asking too much of people who want to buy 60 Dollar luxury toys i don't know what to tell you.
"A simple flip on the box" that noone ever does. You know that. Everyone knows people don't do that. It's baffling how you are arguing for them not putting the info in the title and trailers. You know, the parts 100% of people interested in the game actually see and watch.

"Why would Square do the most obvious, easy and consumer friendly thing when people could do shit nobody ever does to inform themselves". Sound argument mate.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
It is misleading and its kinda upsetting because it seem like elaborate from square because they afraid its will reducing sales or something.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Who's talking about forums or websites? A simple flip of the box will suffice. If that is asking too much of people who want to buy 60 Dollar luxury toys i don't know what to tell you.
Why would you even flip it? It says remake of ff7.
SOLD!
*mindframe of the lapsed gamer who remembers ff7 being his most favorite game of all time, the target market for said product*

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
So to some this fine.
When part 2 comes out just call it

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

again
so how would you know its's part 2

Nov 1, 2017
Do you guys think people got this riled up when It (2017) didn't have a subtitle?

The name "Final Fantasy VII" inherently carries with it the entirety of the original story. You cannot take that away.

Nobody would make plans to re-imagine the entirety of Lord of the Rings, put out a film called only "Lord of the Rings" with no subtitles, and then only include the events in the Fellowship, or up to some other arbitrary point early in the plot. Improving the visuals, creating additional side stories (not unlike they tried with the Hobbit films), etc, does not change the fact that "Lord of the Rings" as a standalone name carries with it a main story reaching far past the events of establishing the Fellowship.

That did happen though, not recently but it happened. The animated movie covered only two thirds of the trilogy released without any subtitle.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It's misleading, it's nowhere near the complete game. I don't really see how there's much of a debate here...definitely not 30 pages worth lol.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Anyone who truly believes the whole game will be remade is deluding themselves. The fact that the first chapter isn't vaporware is an improvement.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a really shady move by Squenix just slap a "Chapter 1" or "Part.1" or even one of those weird ass names they like.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone who truly believes the whole game will be remade is deluding themselves. The fact that the first chapter isn't vaporware is an improvement.
I'm not sure why this is a crazy leap when the first part has a release date.

Are... is a single game series such a crazy, delusional idea?

I guess I'm saying I don't understand why a couple other releases area delusional idea when the first release is 100 percent happening. Sure, if it bombs, the series will never get completed, but I think it's a bit early to make that call, yeah?

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I'm not sure why this is a crazy leap when the first part has a release date.

Are... is a single game series such a crazy, delusional idea?

I guess I'm saying I don't understand why a couple other releases area delusional idea when the first release is 100 percent happening. Sure, if it bombs, the series will never get completed, but I think it's a bit early to make that call, yeah?

It's just that this company has a history of making these bold promises and grand projects (remember all the FF13 universe games they promised?) and then never following through. At the best of times, they take half a decade to release a game. The other installments are extremely speculative at this point.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's just that this company has a history of making these bold promises and grand projects (remember all the FF13 universe games they promised?) and then never following through. At the best of times, they take half a decade to release a game. The other installments are extremely speculative at this point.
Fabula Nova Crytallis!

I think every game that was announced under that umbrella got released, they just got rebranded because the XIII brand got screwed up a by a lukewarm reception to the first game.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Yes and no. The game is being remade because the fans demanded it, which are very likely the same fans who are keeping up with the development and (big assumption here) know that it's only one part of a bigger project.
I like to think the marketing guys over at Square-enix believes they are marketing it toward those fans, and chose an updated version of the original cover to cater to them.
Of course though, it's misleading to those who know almost nothing of a 20+ year old game that they probably heard was awesome/overrated.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a guarantee. I don't expect the rest of the game to be expanded in the way they seem to be expanding on Midgar.

I'm still thinking that a trilogy is the sweet spot. Any longer than that and the project would start wearing thin on people. I made a post somewhere on here a week or two back where I compared the Post Midgar -> City of the Ancients Plot to the plot of FFXII and it lined up relatively well. I think its very possible to wrap up post-Midgar FFVII's story in two games with modern production values, provided you make smart design decisions.
They're setting a certain expectation by making Midgar alone an entire game, with this level of quality, detail, and attention. I can't imagine them just doing two more games to cover the rest. Especially if they actually go open world with them, which they sort of have to unless they do it like the original's world map.

They could easily mine FOUR more games out of the rest. Even more if they are also planning to incorporate Compilation of FF7 stuff that wasn't in the original release (Which it seems like they might be).

I can't see them doing one game for what was original the first four hours, and then jamming all of the rest into only two games. I think most people expect things to come in threes/trilogies as well, so the fact that they didn't say anything specific in terms of how many parts they have planned is telling as well.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. The game is being remade because the fans demanded it, which are very likely the same fans who are keeping up with the development and (big assumption here) know that it's only one part of a bigger project.
I like to think the marketing guys over at Square-enix believes they are marketing it toward those fans, and chose an updated version of the original cover to cater to them.
Of course though, it's misleading to those who know almost nothing of a 20+ year old game that they probably heard was awesome/overrated.
I definitely wouldn't assume that everyone who has been excited and hyped about the prospects of a FF7 remake since the 2005 tech demo or w/e is completely informed on the status of the current FF7 Remake. I think many are vaguely aware it is happening without knowing that it isn't covering the full game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've had this thought myself to be totally honest. But I believe their company would lose way to much good faith if they didn't keep it going. It may take a decade to get it all out there, but I think they'll finish it.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
By the time the whole remake comes out we'll be facing our own environmental doomsday except Greenpeace won't save the world.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
To throw another anecdote onto the pile, my wife is interested in this game but had no idea until just now that it was going to be split into parts.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I have a friend who beat ff7 over 60 times.
He did starting weapon runs.
He did only red materia runs.
He literally put notches into the back of his box.
He didnt know this was split into parts until I told him either.
Have you ever seen a soul die?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I admittedly do think it is a bit sketchy that the company and creative leads that love to make gratuitous game titles more than anyone else in the industry
to the point of giving so much info in the title that it makes it MORE confusing (Kingdom Hearts II.8 etc.) has went with a really simple
title in this case.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It will almost certainly be on the box, just like it is on the PSN pre-order page and all the marketing materials.

So why not put it in the title? Is there a good reason that Square shouldn't? Or just a nebulous preference on your part?

Well he assumed wrong, hopefully your friend learned to properly inform himself before he buys games in the future. :)

Yes consumers *should* inform themselves, but that doesn't mean they do. That poster's friend is exactly the group of people that Square is trying to draw in by leaving the title as is. The whole premise of remaking the game is to capitalize on nostalgia. If someone who played FF7 back in the day, but hadn't seen been aware of the remake were to walk up & look at that box there's next to no way they'd think anything other than it being the complete game remade.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I have a friend who beat ff7 over 60 times.
He did starting weapon runs.
He did only red materia runs.
He literally put notches into the back of his box.
He didnt know this was split into parts until I told him either.
Have you ever seen a soul die?
Okay, I'm on board with the multiple game project idea, but this post made me laugh out loud.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
That is kinda weird that it doesn't say part 1 or something on the front. There is a lot of people who will buy this game without knowing the deep details of it and almost certainly be disappointed (not in the game but maybe where it stops) lol. I mean I'm fine with it since I know about it in advance, but I'd be kind of annoyed if I didn't know it stopped at midgar and it just did. Mostly because you wouldn't expect it to stop that early under any circumstance. Even if the game is fun and fleshed out you still wouldn't expect it since most remakes (all of them so far???) are the whole game.

Thinking on it, is this the only remake that doesn't cover the whole game / is in parts? Off the top of my head I can't think of another one like that. Not to say it's bad I'm just realizing its a pretty unique situation.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's misleading in the sense that when I look at it, I think it's the ps1 version. The word remake is not clearly visible at a glance.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Once again a gaming forum makes the assumption that everyone who's remotely interested in X game has researched its entire development, read every news article and interview about it, and couldn't possibly have only watched the trailers or just seen a headline with the release date w/o reading the article.

Most people who love games aren't nearly as obsessed with following every last part of a game's development as we are. And most people thoroughly read a back cover or PSN description as often as they read the EULA aka next to never. Let's not delude ourselves; this is a marketing ploy to trick people into thinking this is the entire kit and kaboodle. And there will be a backlash when they see the credits role and it's not the full game. The title is misleading as hell and should be labeled as "Part 1/Episode 1/Disc1" or whatever.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Voted "I don't know."

I can totally see people seeing the game and not realize there will be more parts in the future. But I don't understand where the issue with the box art begins. Haven't we already known that this game was called Final Fantasy 7 Remake and seen its logo a million times? I'm not sure why it's only when it's slapped onto cover art that it's misleading.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Voted "I don't know."

I can totally see people seeing the game and not realize there will be more parts in the future. But I don't understand where the issue with the box art begins. Haven't we already known that this game was called Final Fantasy 7 Remake and seen its logo a million times? I'm not sure why it's only when it's slapped onto cover art that it's misleading.

Because it is on the thing that people are going to buy.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Voted "I don't know."

Final Fantasy VII Remake was largely assumed to be a placeholder during development until a more definitive title was decided like Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1: Midgar or something.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
There should be some sort of information pertaining to the fact that this isn't the only and complete FFVII remake/experience that there will be. It's definitely disingenuous when compared to something like Resident Evil Remake/Remake 2.

I gotta say, it was really strange reading hundreds of posts arguing about IT & the Hobbit when a perfectly good example of a beloved mid-90's title getting remade released this year in the same medium being discussed. Resident Evil 2 is a perfect comparison. This is as if Capcom fleshed out the Police Station portion into it's own "feature-length" game but released it as "Resident Evil 2".

There would be nothing wrong with fleshing out the Police Station into it's own game but the marketing would need to clearly reflect that. As others have said, if SquareEnix doesn't want to commit to further releases a simple subtitle would suffice. Plainly calling it "Final Fantasy VII Remake" carries certain expectations.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the title and artwork combo is definitely being intentionally vague to influence sales, and I'm sure for the sequels they'll either do the classic "-2, -3" at the end of VII like they've done for X and XIII or "FFVII: Subtitle".

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly do think it is a bit sketchy that the company and creative leads that love to make gratuitous game titles more than anyone else in the industry
to the point of giving so much info in the title that it makes it MORE confusing (Kingdom Hearts II.8 etc.) has went with a really simple
title in this case.

What's the last Kingdom Hearts game called ?

K then.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
It's misleading and absolutely intentional. This game should have a "Part 1" or some-such attached to the title, working title or not.

I have an account on a forum like this and I didn't know for the longest time this thing was being split into parts. They know what they are doing with this title, and it's lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.