• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you agree with Jason?

• Yes

Votes: 2,404 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 888 25.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 225 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, let's blame the consumer for a companies misleading title. What nonsense.
41qweigIv4L.jpg

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's misleading because it's better? I mean, they expected the exact same thing over 20 years later? What is this?

Honestly, I think that's the case with a lot of people in here. They just wanted the original with prettied up graphics, like one of those model change hacks using you see with emulated versions.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Would people have been fine if re2make ended when leon goes down the stairs to the sewer after leaving marvin?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You're arguing a premise, that there's this large group of people who go around buying $250-$500 consoles and $60 video games without googling them and being unable to trade them in.

The person you're "defending" doesn't exist, it's a mythical creature. A google search will tell you this isn't a 1:1 remake of FF7, a single trailer will tell you this, there's no way of avoiding the information, it's not a secret exclusive to resetera posters.

You're wrong.

But that's fine.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, except it's 2019 (2020 when it comes out) and people can reasonably be expected to research the 60 dollar products they intend to purchase before actually doing so. The Internet exists in everyones pocket nowadays.

Having to research the game titled Final Fantasy 7 Remake to figure out it's not the entirety of the original game instead of being able to base that on the title of the product itself seems like the literal definition of being misleading.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's also full of people blowing this horrible injustice out of proportions. Could they be clearer? Sure, a Part 1 on the box wouldn't kill anyone. Is this some horrible miscalculation that will leave millions of players pissed at SQEX for being mislead/lied to about the extent of how much story they are getting? Probably not.
Yet there are people on this forum with their head so far up Sqaure's butt they can't even admit to this. How sad is that?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
These arguments can just go in circles forever, but basically, all the arguments in this thread will certainly boil down to a few points:

1. Argument: Those who don't follow closely who love FF7 nevertheless could get to the end of the game thinking the rest is still there and be disappointed (True)
  2. Counter-argument: This is still a 'full size game' according to SE, so they will get their money's worth anyway (True, if SE is being truly representative of the game)
Both points are totally valid and true.

The comparisons to The Last of Us are dumb though, right? TLOU was envisioned as a complete story and then they decided to expand it, and part 2 as the name is most likely chosen to be evocative of a certain type of sequel. (I wouldn't be surprised if TLOU2 has the 'Godfather structure', and I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Same for the brain-dead "how dare Fellowship of the Ring not be labeled as part one" take. Silly. Tolkein wrote and conceived the story in that form, and that's the key - this story was originally conceived as a whole.

But to stick with Tolkien, what this is more like is how they split the Hobbit into two and then three films. It's more like that, in terms of how you break a narrative up and try to turn one three-act structure into three sets of stand-alone structure. This is where The Hobbit fell flat, and why The Lord of the Rings worked in this sense: LOTR was conceived as three different three-act stories that just happened to be linked; the Hobbit was conceived as one and then broken up and forced to conform to that structure. With FF7, hopefully it goes better than that did for the Hobbit.

But the point is, if you blind-buy a game called 'Final Fantasy VII Remake', you'd expect it to have the same narrative content as the original game, right? This is what makes this situation different: 'Final Fantasy VII' has a meaning to people in terms of what it is and what it represents. Even if a sequel was planned, nobody knew what The Last of Us was when it released, so nobody had an expectation for where that story would begin, go or end. The relation to the existing product carries heavy context with it, and acknowledging that doesn't disservice or underplay all the additions being made to make this into a 'full game'. That is the point people are making, and I'm really confused as to if the people who don't seem to get this by screaming "it's a complete new game!!" are being facetious or really, truly don't understand that.

In the end, SE isn't putting a designation on this for obvious reasons - a part one or chapter one on the box could deter some people who might choose to wait for a 'complete package'. It's about the money, and full size game or not, they want to shift as many copies of this as possible and they'll worry about selling the sequel in a couple of years. They're a company, and a company is going to service the bottom line, which is fair enough -- but I think the fans who can't at least acknowledge why this name might mean the game shocks or disappoints some are absolutely nuts. SE clearly were aware of this, too, because they were very careful to get right out in front of this - within ten minutes of introducing the game to the world, Kitase laid out exact parameters of where it would start and end. That, as an act, is telling that they know. But they also know that putting it on the box could push some sales away. So here we are.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%. They should add something like Episode One below the logo. It's a cool boxart but very misleading for those not in the know.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the comments, this no matter what is gonna sprung controversy, especially among veteran players. I know A LOT of people will have their introduction to game with this remake. For them, who know nothing about it, maybe will be fine to leave in a cliffhanger and wait for the next game, but not so sure for those who loved the original and waited for years to play this.

One could make the argument that if we want a full remake we should wait another five years, and they're right, but wouldn't hurt a single bit being absolutely clear in all marketing that this is just a fraction of the adventure.

What I just don't get is, why are people here against the idea of adding "Part 1" to the box?
Because they fell that what is being offered is gonna be worth of a 60 bucks game, not the full story, but yes a full game (with all the extra content it'll offer). I don't know man, seems like sacrilege having an episodic game at 60 bucks, when this is clearly the case? I don't get people sometimes.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is misleading. Recreating the boxart of the original and calling it Final Fantasy VII Remake absolutely conveys that it's a remake of the entirety of FFVII. Slap a part 1/Episode 1 on there.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is it just going to be Final Fantasy Remake for the next 5-7 years?

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely misleading to the general populace, as has been much of their messaging around the game.

That's not to say this product isn't a full game in and of itself and that it isn't worth $60 - far from it - but "remake" has a very specific connotation to it, and it should be made clear that this is the first release in a multi-part project.

EDIT: The "It" comparison is weird considering it's not called "It Remake".

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Call me cynical but I think they did not put any indication that this is a partial game in comparison to the 1997 version, is to avoid any detrimental effects on both pre-orders and sales figures by the notion of it being 'Episodic'.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You don't think wanting to greatly expand on the original is a valid approach? I tend to give developers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to creative visions. I'm willing to see what they can bring to the table with this new take on Final Fantasy VII. We'll know very soon whether it was a good idea or not.

I just don't understand this demanding of all of the story beats from the original in a single package with no care for how the game is structured or expanded on compared to the original.

I obviously haven't played the game so can't comment yet. When making the decision to go multipart and make consumers pay probably $180+ to see the whole of the original Final Fantasy 7 story they need to be clear with their marketing.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Box art: Not really. I mean it does show Midgar. As an interesting parallel, the Japanese FFVII PS1 was just the logo on a white background. This time it's a logo on a black background.

Name: Absolutely. I'm surprised they didn't put a subtitle, but then again I shouldn't be. It may have a full game worth of content but it seems less like a remake and instead a reboot.

Apr 21, 2018
I would have called it Final Fantasy 7R : chapter 1.

Something about 'remake', 'remastered' or 'definitive edition' in a title bothers me.

Also, if FF7R can be beaten in as long as it took to get through Midgar (5-10 hours) there will be riots. People have become so accustomed to long JRPGs, I really do wonder just how much content is in FF7R. Personally I'd love a shorter RPG that's more refined, but fans will be crying bloody murder if this game is shorter than expectations.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The messaging and communication around expectations for this project has completely turned me off from being interested at launch despite this remake looking really good at surface level. Until Square Enix communicates clearly how to manage expectations for the following then I have to assume the answers are undesirable, otherwise they'd be up front with this info.

- how many parts will the remake be?
- what platforms will future parts be available on?
- how will or wont data transfer between parts?
- how is the world map being handled?
- is the same team even working on the future parts?

This is basic stuff, if this were a totally new game/project then I wouldn't care as much about these unknowns. But this is a case of a classic being remade with high expectations, and while what they have shown seems to mostly meet those high expectations for the beginning of FF7, the lack of communication makes me hesitate being fully hyped. And the way the game is being advertised by the box art it appears that answering these questions is not important to SE.

The thing that concerns me with multiple parts is how many of the story elements can actually have a satisfying conclusion? The game is both Part 1 of a remake and something that needs to stand on its own, and I fail to see how they can adequately juggle those two. The Hobbit failed in that regard despite only having 8.5 hours of story, FFVIIr will likely end up having at least 50 hours of story content by the time it's done.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It is absolutely misleading to the general populace, as has been much of their messaging around the game.

That's not to say this product isn't a full game in and of itself and that it isn't worth $60 - far from it - but "remake" has a very specific connotation to it, and it should be made clear that this is the first release in a multi-part project.

EDIT: The "It" comparison is weird considering it's not called "It Remake".

I can see why the title is causing debate, but in what way has their messaging been misleading? We've known since 2015 that it's set to be episodic and they've said at much multiple times since the marketing cycle kicked in again this year.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nope, and I don't blame them for leaving Part 1 off the box. They've said this is going to have the experience and content of a full game. Putting part 1 on the box gives the impression to consumers that this doesn't have the amount of content a full game would.

We've already got geniuses saying crap like "I'll wait for the full game to be out" so I'm sure Square is trying to avoid people like that making their false declarations.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Kind of disingenuous to suggest it's only "one tenth" of the story, lol. We have no idea how things have been reimagined, what's changed, and how things will change going forward. There was a lot of filler in FFVII, so a lot of that might be streamlined, or even removed full stop. A lot of judgements being made int he article that are entirely based on assumptions, which is effectively: click bait.

C'mon Jason. Do better.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Because they fell that what is being offered is gonna be worth of a 60 bucks game, not the full story, but yes a full game (with all the extra content it'll offer). I don't know man, seems like sacrilege having an episodic game at 60 bucks, when this is clearly the case? I don't get people sometimes.
This isn't an episodic game. At least not in the sense that it is understood in gaming industry.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Name: Absolutely. I'm surprised they didn't put a subtitle, but then again I shouldn't be. It may have a full game worth of content but it seems less like a remake and instead a reboot.
If it was suposed to be a reboot, then they had to remove the "Remake" from the title. As it stands, is misleading. Its actually false advertising.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, who gives a shit about how long it is? The story, the most important part of an RPG, is incomplete. It's basically walking away at the beginning of the prologue.

Plum

May 31, 2018
How is it less misleading then the FFVII cover?

1) It doesn't cost $60 to watch a film
2) IT is only 2.5 hours long instead of 30+
3) IT has already had a highly-popular adaption in two parts, and that was what IT 2017 was primarily based on
4) IT has a definitive conclusion even if you never watch IT: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.