• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my Japanese wife:

Treats:
Kakinotane
Ohagi
Yukimi Daifuku

Food
Charashi Zushi
Oyakodon
Katsudon

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yatsuhashi
60732_70981.jpg
Yatsuhashi is divine.

I'm also a big fan of Dorayaki with chestnuts inside.
Finally, in winter time they would sell something that was mochi on the outside, and a mix of whipped cream/ice cream on the inside with a strawberry in the center. That was great.

Tayaki (the fish shaped pastry with red bean) is really good as well.

It's a bit more elaborate and traditional, but a good Anmitsu is hard to beat.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Agemanju is good.

Most Japanese snacks are rubbish though, I miss UK junk food.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People are just posting normal food now unless my idea of snack and treat is too narrow. I think most traditional jp treats are bad so:

eJICaoX.png

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Basically like a flatter/triangular daifuku with a cinnamon taste, as you say. If you like cinnamon and red bean you'll like it.

They come in a lot of different flavors. Anko is probably the most popular, but lemon and strawberry are my favorite. If you go to Kyoto, you'll see a ton of shops selling them and a ton of people buying gift boxes to give to coworkers.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, I would really recommend focusing on stuff that is freshly made or can't be found in the international aisle of a large grocer.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
ctrl+f tara

No results

ಠ_ಠ

Chiitara is a godsend. It's a mix of dried cod (tara) and cheese. It goes well with beer.

617b2a703bbf70dd307ce2447bfbc7b9.jpg

BarefootTea

Oct 27, 2017
Some good snacks/treats: dango, anpan, 蒸しケーキ/蒸しパン (mushi cake/pan) steamed cake/bread, taiyaki, warm vending machine drinks (fall/winter), yaki imo (fall/winter), onigiri, niku-man, karaage, kuri (chestnut) flavored foods (fall/winter), and sakura flavored foods (spring).

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
2379.jpg

Momiji Manju
They come with all kinds of fillings. I stuck with the more traditional ones (from a western standpoint) like chocolate pudding and custard but my wife tried ones with bean paste and green tea fillings.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Any good place to get some of those kitkats in the US? I've tried the local markets, but the only things I can find are the green tea ones. My niece loves KitKats, so I thought they might be a neat gift for her. I guess I can get them off of Amazon or something, but every time I've ordered chocolate from them it's been melted.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I love absolutely all of it, but Japanese style crepes were my favorite thing. Took me ten years after coming back home to finally find a place that makes them. Also, korokke are the best form of potato in all existence.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yatsuhashi is divine.

I'm also a big fan of Dorayaki with chestnuts inside.
Finally, in winter time they would sell something that was mochi on the outside, and a mix of whipped cream/ice cream on the inside with a strawberry in the center. That was great.

Tayaki (the fish shaped pastry with red bean) is really good as well.

It's a bit more elaborate and traditional, but a good Anmitsu is hard to beat.

Ichigo daifuku (イチゴ大福) ?

Anyone want to fund me a trip to Japan? I could probably clear out a konbini and a couple of food stalls after reading this thread...

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Taiyaki
Taiyaki-III-600x899.jpg

Dango
mitarashi-dango.jpg

These 2 and the Melon and Yakisoba Pan and good traditional foods to try over there

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I avoided melon pan for so long because I'm not a big fan of melon and assumed they were melon flavoured. Wasn't until a little shop opened in my in-laws town (Inage in Chiba) which had queues every morning, that I actually tried proper freshly cooked melon pan. So good.

Butter pan from the local bakery was getting very popular in recent years too - just like a softer saltier croissant but yummy.

Love toast bread too. It's like twice as thick as any regular bread so it's really soft in the middle after toasting

Oct 28, 2017
When I'm in Japan I just get fucking loaded up on custard pastries. Fill me the fuck up, I'll eat them all.

Also taiyaki. There's a small stall at the end of Akihabara that does various different types and they're all 100/150 yen if memory serves me right. I'll always buy a few, one of each flavour, and scoff them. Custard, red bean, green tea, whatever.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Goma Tamago is one of my favorite Tokyo souvenir snacks:

fullsizeoutput_835.jpeg

White chocolate coat covering a thin layer of sponge cake, with black sesame paste at the center. Yum!

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Just need to accompany all these treats with my favourite Japanese treat that my friends and I very much enjoyed as we strolled the streets of Tokyo and Osaka:

images

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Just need to accompany all these treats with my favourite Japanese treat that my friends and I very much enjoyed as we strolled the streets of Tokyo and Osaka:

images
Yeah, I gotta say, those cheap convenience store mix drinks are a super nice change of pace for someone who doesn't drink beer at all.
There are only so many Whisky Highballs a man can drink... Although after 10 days I was super glad it was Highballs instead of drinks mixed with sugary soda.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Being a citizen of Osaka, I stan takoyaki until the end of time.

As far as sweet goes, I love shiroan inside mochi. It's to die for.

images

Personally this is my jam:

10936863.jpg

But you really can't go wrong. Being able to get fucking drunk on under $10 is pretty fucking rad.

I will admit that once in a while, I mix a Strong Zero Bitter Orange into my lineup to get a little zing.

ctrl+f tara

No results

ಠ_ಠ

Chiitara is a godsend. It's a mix of dried cod (tara) and cheese. It goes well with beer.

617b2a703bbf70dd307ce2447bfbc7b9.jpg
Shit, yeah, I love chiitara It's one of my favorite drunk snacks.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Chips
Japanese chips kinda suck, unless you like chips with subtle flavor. I like like these stinky pizza chips that I only buy when I hate myself. Y'know what? Just eat better stuff.
pizzapotato.jpg

You just ain't eating the right kinda chips OP.

sn0051-800x800.jpg

Also mentioned above already but shoutout to the Lawson Karaage.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Taiyaki>Kaitenyaki>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dorayaki
Dorayaki is far too sweat.

Also, Takenoko no Sato>Kinoko no Yama

But the best is Ichigo Daifuku.

kaden

Dec 23, 2017
日本
I like melon pan that actually takes like melon, not the sugar topped stuff.
Super cup ice cream is great for the price at my local super, the chocolate chip cookie flavour is finally back this summer.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
XCbybu3l.jpg

Deep fried momiji manjuu. Don't really care for the regular ones, but they're amazing deep fried. Come in cheese, cream, and anko flavors.

SrJPxbLl.jpg

I'm a Black Thunder fiend. I guess I'd describe them as tasting kinda like chocolate covered Oreo. There are a lot of different flavors though. The kinako one, the cookies and cream one, and the most recent corn ones are my favorite. There's also an ice cream version sold only at 7-11 in the summer months.

JnseVMA.jpg

Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. I guess this could either be a meal or a snack, depending on how drunk you are. As good as Osaka okonomiyaki is, the Hiroshima version is vastly superior. Instead of being just a batter mixture, the Hiroshima one contains noodles and is cooked in layers. There's a shop near my place that has jalapeno as a topping option, which is amazing.

trH9G6Zm.jpg

Pizaman. I could eat these every single day.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Green tea Kit Kats have no business being this good. I'm addicted to them and their availability in Canada is dangerous for me. 😳

I love mochis, the best mochis I ever had were some freshly-made on the spot daifukus in Kyoto, sooo good and cheap that we went back for more.

Takoyaki are nice too but PSA: they are blazing hot, be careful. The filling inside is runny and burning so take your sweet time before eating them or you will suffer. I've had them in Japanese restaurants in Canada before, so I thought I knew what to expect, but the ones I had in Osaka was brutal. Probably my first "culture shock" moment in Japan lol...
i brought some back from japan and shared some with my old coworkers. One told me it tasted like grass and spit it out...

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The FamiChiki from Family Mart. Seriously the hot fried chicken at counters at convenience stores in Japan is just perfect on the go food. I could literally live off it, and probably intend to next time I go back. Cheap, tasty, not healthy. Win win win

Also the 7/11 egg sandwiches. Basically like creamy smooth filling, vaguely eggy, and beautiful. Crusts cut off, bread so soft Hnngggggg.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I love chestnut so I love that you can get so many Japanese sweets with sweet chestnut fillings.

There's also a sweets restaurant here where I can get taiyaki filled with nutella and banana, with a drizzle of honey on top. Love it.

There's also a Japanese grocery store that has a tiny conbini corner that occasionally has strawberry daifuku. They get fucking enormous strawberries and wrap red bean and mochi around them. Super delicious.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ichigo daifuku (イチゴ大福) ?

Anyone want to fund me a trip to Japan? I could probably clear out a konbini and a couple of food stalls after reading this thread...
I've had that, and it's good, but this is different. The mochi layer is thinner, it's bigger, and it has frozen whipped cream or ice cream around the strawberry. It doesn't have any red bean.

When I was there they had a cheap convenience store pastry with yellow chestnut cream on top of a bun with more chestnut cream inside. It was very sweet, but tasted amazing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
XCbybu3l.jpg

Deep fried momiji manjuu. Don't really care for the regular ones, but they're amazing deep fried. Come in cheese, cream, and anko flavors.

SrJPxbLl.jpg

I'm a Black Thunder fiend. I guess I'd describe them as tasting kinda like chocolate covered Oreo. There are a lot of different flavors though. The kinako one, the cookies and cream one, and the most recent corn ones are my favorite. There's also an ice cream version sold only at 7-11 in the summer months.

JnseVMA.jpg

Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. I guess this could either be a meal or a snack, depending on how drunk you are. As good as Osaka okonomiyaki is, the Hiroshima version is vastly superior. Instead of being just a batter mixture, the Hiroshima one contains noodles and is cooked in layers. There's a shop near my place that has jalapeno as a topping option, which is amazing.

trH9G6Zm.jpg

Okonomiyaki is definitely getting into meal territory. But yeah I'm a fan of Hiroshima style.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
XCbybu3l.jpg

SrJPxbLl.jpg

JnseVMA.jpg

trH9G6Zm.jpg

Took till the second page for Black Thunder? This place is wrong.

Also, where the hell is choco monaka jumbo?!

chocomonaka.jpg

Edit: since the OP is asking to advise a friend, it depends on where they are going. Good bet though is to go to any of the main stations as they will have endless booths of local specialty snacks or upcoming treats. I'm so glad Bake came to the US.