• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Anyone know if Sea Shepard have a crowdfunding campaign to get some torpedoes?

And if not, why not?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'll never understand the whole whaling thing for Japan. No one really eats it yet the govt keeps doing things like this.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just translate whale to fish for olympic time

DvUP5XrUwAUWlXB.jpg

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Doesn't the US also allow for commercial whaling?

Canada allows for seal clubbing.

I don't exactly support either, but I've never understood why people get so bent out of shape when the Japanese do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the US also allow for commercial whaling?

Canada allows for seal clubbing.

I don't exactly support either, but I've never understood why people get so bent out of shape when the Japanese do it.
Look at the chart. Bec 56 a year is a helluva lot less than 526. Especially with species that might not even have 5-10k in their population worldwide.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why they try so hard to this, I mean I read that it wasn't that popular in Japan in the first place so why the push for it all the time from them? The same goes for dolphin hunting.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'll never understand the whole whaling thing for Japan. No one really eats it yet the govt keeps doing things like this.
I don't get why they try so hard to this, I mean I read that it wasn't that popular in Japan in the first place so why the push for it all the time from them? The same goes for dolphin hunting.
My understand of the matter is that it's basically a matter of stubborn pride and warped culture for the old people generation. Which also happens to be the generation in politics, since younger people are hardly politically apathetic. So the old men in power want to continue to prop up the stuff they feel they are entitled to, and relate to others in their generation. One of these things is whaling, which doesn't really have commercial support in an economic sense, but no one wants to admit it's a dead end industry and just move on. One comparison would be how the more rural areas in US that depend on coal industries or manufacturing look to the government to save them from a dying industry. Now imagine if the government was actually invested in doing that, creating artificial demand and implementing policies that ensure these industries continue to support employment, even without actual market demand.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Advocating violence, history of similar infractions
I don't want to make a "two wrong don't make a right statement" but...I think there are probably better ways to pressure the Japanese government that don't involve murder.
True, true.

If they could restrict themselves to maiming and the occasional instance of manslaughter that would be much more effective.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Anyone know if Sea Shepard have a crowdfunding campaign to get some torpedoes?

And if not, why not?

Commercial whaling will be conducted within Japan's EEZ, so they would have grounds for arrests and seizure of Sea Shepherd ships that tried to interfere with the hunts.

Which would be awesome, the more Sea Shepherd people are behind bars, the better world we live in.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK. Same thing?

I'm happy for every country to ban meat, let alone specific meat, if their economy and diet can sustain it. And I believe they can. But I'm not sure what a 1940s world war killing civilians to test a military theory and also legitimately stopping a war has to do with this specific right wing government transgression.

Nuking civilians during a dreadful potentially endless war and killing whales to support a business or be edgelords aren't equitable.

lmao thanks for this.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The were killing up to 300 whales a year under the IWC in the name of scientific research anyways. Not saying it is a good thing, just that they were killing many a year already. They aren't even the biggest offenders.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought (or "thought to have tead somewhere" to be more specific) that the whaling thing has more to do with national identity/pride and misguided traditions than actual food production and economic demand.
This would fit into the whole nationalistic angle the Government seems to lean in to right now.
If someone is more qualified to talk about this topic and Japan's recent political tendencies, please correct me.
That's what the NPR report I heard yesterday said.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I guess I'll just have to offset that by buying not one but two packs of delicious (sustainable) minke whale meat next time I spot it at the supermarket.
I think the problem is that unfortunately the harpoons don't have special Minke-only guidance systems, and it's not always easy to identify the species correctly from a distance. One of the complaints with Japanese whaling in the Southern Ocean was that other species were also being accidentally killed.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It seems this is Japan's baby boomer shit show. Sorta like BREXIT or MAGA, just with extinct whales as end result.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people equate Japan's Whaling industry to American coal miners.

How accurate is that?

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't even mind the whaling, if people actually ate the stuff. Many of the whaling expeditions are done on tax money and much of the meat never gets sold to consumers. I remember reading that ridiculous amount of whale meat ends up into pet feed. Some times they serve it up in schools for free, but even that doesn't fly anymore since there have been few batches with high mercury levels.

Unions and other fishing related lobby groups need to keep the gravy train going.

Last edited: