• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2261625/

There's his imdb page. At Valve he worked on TF2, L4D, L4D2. Left for Dead 3 has been rumored for years and I've been thinking for a while that one of their 3 VR projects is Team Fortress related. But it ultimately could be anything. Could be In The Valley of the Gods.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
All these rehires, i wonder what they are working on, i really hope it's a proper AAA game & not another vanity project like the lab or worse Artifact.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Senior Animator. He was also senior animator on Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 1 + 2. He had previously left Valve to be a senior animator at Dreamworks, I imagine it took some impressive money to bring him back.
Money wise, maybe not? I doubt most of these people left Valve because they hated it there, it's pretty consistently been rated a great place to work, it was probably just down to their lack of actually making games recently.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
They've been developing new games for a quite a while and they were already having several people returning all throughout before anyone knew the Epic store was a thing, if that's what you're implying.
Yeah that is sort of what I was implying but after posting I realised it doesn't really make sense. I was thinking of it as comparable to Netflix developing their own content when other media companies began pulling stuff from their platform, but that doesn't really hold up since Valve's overall business model is so different from that of a streaming subscription service.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Money wise, maybe not? I doubt most of these people left Valve because they hated it there, it's pretty consistently been rated a great place to work, it was probably just down to their lack of actually making games recently.

That's a fair point, and definitely can't be understated. Judging from his IMDB page it appears as though he gained a ton of experience working on high-profile works in his time at Dreamworks, so at least professionally I would assume it took a lot to pull him away from that - unless, of course, he just loves working at Valve.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
These devs leaving then immediately coming back when the opportunity arose is pretty telling about the trajectory Valve has been taking and will take. The direction they were going before was less then ideal for a game developer, so they reluctantly moved on. Now?

Watch this space.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They've been developing new games for a quite a while and they were already having several people returning all throughout before anyone knew the Epic store was a thing, if that's what you're implying.
Yeah, before Epic store when devs returned to Valve or when Valve acquired new ones, the narrative was "lol more hats!" Interesting to see if it now turns to "Competition by Epic forced them to develop games!" Watch them release another multiplayer title and it's back to "Valve doesn't develop games!"

Oct 27, 2017
These devs leaving then immediately coming back when the opportunity arose is pretty telling about the trajectory Valve has been taking and will take. The direction they were going before was less then ideal for a game developer, so they reluctantly moved on. Now?

Watch this space.

I don't get it. Dude was at DreamWorks for 5+ years and at Disney before that. His return to Valve was 7yrs later...................

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I don't get it. Dude was at DreamWorks for 5+ years and at Disney before that. His return to Valve was 7yrs later...................

You bolded the wrong part:

Watch this space.

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I still don't get the statement. We don't know the factors in him returning, and we certainly don't know it was immediately as the opportunity arose.
Also, he'd been back since 2016.......

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Seems like Valve is interested in getting back into the software market. Between really pushing and advocating for VR (good on them), and all these people coming back/joining up and the purchase of Campo Santo... the next 2-3 could be very interesting.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Isn't Valve so cash heavy that they could "easily" fund an AAA game?

From the looks of it they potentially could easily "fund" multiple AAA games but the issue is their work force. From what I recall they have something like 500 employees in total and of those employees some are hardware engineers (work on making VR stuff for Valve) you also have people that are working on maintaining Steam, updating old games. I always thought that they had less than 200 people that could potentially work on developing a new game. Valve has the money so if they wanted to they could open up another studio have that only focus on making new games and then have the rest of Valve work on Steam, but I guess Gaben just wants everyone to work under one roof?

I don't give a damn about VR. I just want traditional games.

VR is likely the only way that we will get more games from Valve especially in terms of something like say Half Life 3 (since they would likely want the game to have tech that others games are not really showing off). Also how traditional are we talking here?

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Senior Animator. He was also senior animator on Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 1 + 2. He had previously left Valve to be a senior animator at Dreamworks, I imagine it took some impressive money to bring him back.

Well, there was that thread about Valve's work schedule rarely keeping people past 5:30 PM. That's a pretty big draw for employment.

At least, for me. I took a hierarchy cut (management to non-management) from a total job change a yearish ago for similar reasons and I couldn't be happier about that decision.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
From the looks of it they potentially could easily "fund" multiple AAA games but the issue is their work force. From what I recall they have something like 500 employees in total and of those employees some are hardware engineers (work on making VR stuff for Valve) you also have people that are working on maintaining Steam, updating old games. I always thought that they had less than 200 people that could potentially work on developing a new game. Valve has the money so if they wanted to they could open up another studio have that only focus on making new games and then have the rest of Valve work on Steam, but I guess Gaben just wants everyone to work under one roof?

VR is likely the only way that we will get more games from Valve especially in terms of something like say Half Life 3 (since they would likely want the game to have tech that others games are not really showing off). Also how traditional are we talking here?

Sadly you may be right. And I just mean non-VR games when I say traditional.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People return to companies all the time in tech and entertainment. The industry at times requires most people move around because of how projects are structured. Lots of people bounce back and forth between film,games and general technology.