• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hours after taking office, Brazil's new president, Jair Bolsonaro, has launched an assault on environmental and Amazon protections with an executive order transferring the regulation and creation of new indigenous reserves to the agriculture ministry – which is controlled by the powerful agribusiness lobby.
"There will be an increase in deforestation and violence against indigenous people," said Dinaman Tuxá, executive coordinator of the Articulation of Indigenous People of Brazil (Apib). "Indigenous people are defenders and protectors of the environment."

The decision was included in an executive order which also gave Bolsonaro's government secretary potentially far-reaching powers over non-governmental organizations working in Brazil.

The temporary decree, which expires unless it is ratified by congress within 120 days, mandates that the office of the government secretary, Carlos Alberto Dos Santos Cruz, "supervise, coordinate, monitor and accompany the activities and actions of international organizations and non-governmental organizations in the national territory".

Bolsonaro, who has often criticised Brazilian and international NGOs who he accuses of "sticking their noses into Brazil", defended the measure in a tweeton Wednesday. "More than 15% of national territory is demarcated as indigenous land and quilombos. Less than a million people live in these places, isolated from true Brazil, exploited and manipulated by NGOs. Together we will integrate these citizens," he posted.

Separately, the incoming health minister, Luiz Henrique Mandetta, suggested on Wednesday that there would be spending cuts on healthcare for indigenous people. "We have figures for the general public that are much below what is spent on healthcare for the indigenous," he said, without providing details.

"We're going to preserve everything because the gringos destroyed what they had?" he said.

During last year's election campaign, Bolsonaro promised to end demarcation of new indigenous lands, reduce the power of environmental agencies and free up mining and commercial farming on indigenous reserves. His measure also gave the agriculture ministry power over new quilombosrural settlements inhabited by descendants of former slaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/02/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-amazon-rainforest-protections

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The Brazilian people knew exactly what they were getting when they voted this man into office. And by the time enough of them come to regret their mistake he'll have become so entrenched in power that it won't matter.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
But you know, more important is to fight crime, drug trafficking and rescue the economy. It doesn't matter if the POS President they elected will bring back a dictatorship and destroy one of the most important rain forests in the entire world.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no hope for this planet. There's just too many selfish/stupid/racist assholes.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Basically Brazil's only hope is that Bolsanaro seriously alienates a significant clique of military officers who take him out because there's no chance in hell he's ever giving up power democratically.

Oct 27, 2017
Basically Brazil's only hope is that Bolsanaro seriously alienates a significant clique of military officers who take him out because there's no chance in hell he's ever giving up power democratically.

It would mean very little, IMO. They would off him and blame it on "Communists" and continue many of the same policies

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The rest of the world should be paying Brazil/other Amazon countries to not deforest because of it's global importance, otherwise why wouldn't they use the resource. But there'd be a huge free loader problem (as long as the Amazon exists for one it exists for all) so you'd never be able to convince anyone to pony up. Payments like that also tend to funnel straight into corrupt politician's pockets, instead of the people (who otherwise would be benefiting from a bettered economy).

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself an enviromentalist and am obviously concerned about this aspect, but man, the human suffering about to be caused on the indigenous people is a nightmare. A total nightmare. I cannot even think how they must be feeling with what is coming.

The average brazillian ruralist can go from busisnessperson to local warlord depending on the necessity. Now the government is talking about a "deal" between local warlords with a hunger for land and defenseless people living in remote areas.

The deal would be the indigenous people "allow" the ruralists to use the land in exchange for a cut. It will be an offer they can't refuse. And there will be blood.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to preserve everything because the gringos destroyed what they had?" he said.
Dumbfuck does not understand the National and State Park Systems. We actively set out to preserve and restore our environmental treasures before it was too late.

I'll say it again, if this dick threatens the Amazon it warrants international intervention to protect the Amazon at all costs.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
hqdefault.jpg

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Dumbfuck does not understand the National and State Park Systems. We actively set out to preserve and restore our environmental treasures before it was too late.

I'll say it again, if this dick threatens the Amazon it warrants international intervention to protect the Amazon at all costs.

You think Trump is going to help with that? He is cutting national parks as we speak here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The entire world is seriously just being fucked isn't it?

I mean it's like all these leaders coming into power just don't give a fuck about the environment or keeping ingenious people/culture the way they have it,t hey want to tear the whole world down just to make fucking money and care about little else.

Like at a time when we needed true environmental protection the most in history somehow these kinds of people get into power that just want to go the exact opposite way that we should be going and you have so many people that seem to want to support that, like literally they are voting against the world itself and future generations that will be hurt by all of this, are people just that fucking stupid these days or what?

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
There was never hope anyways. We have been fed bullshit hope propaganda for decades and it won't stop.

"bullshit hope propaganda"

Really? So you're saying the better option should be bunch of propaganda that basically tells people to just give up? That seems like a way to drastically increase suicide rates to me.

This is terrible, but people need to stop acting like stuff like this is the only thing that happens and no progress is being made. It's not a binary fucked/not fucked situation.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The entire world is seriously just being fucked isn't it?

I mean it's like all these leaders coming into power just don't give a fuck about the environment or keeping ingenious people/culture the way they have it,t hey want to tear the whole world down just to make fucking money and care about little else.

Like at a time when we needed true environmental protection the most in history somehow these kinds of people get into power that just want to go the exact opposite way that we should be going and you have so many people that seem to want to support that, like literally they are voting against the world itself and future generations that will be hurt by all of this, are people just that fucking stupid these days or what?

The religion drived people insane, they believed that the other candidate would install communism (?) and other satanic things like respect to trans people. It's so fucked up.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Trump couldn't even manage a majority, or even the greatest number of votes, which makes Bolsonaro's 55 percent so damning.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that pisses me off is its all self inflicted. People voted for this.

They knew who this guy was and they picked him anyway. It makes me sick to my stomach and I hope his base suffer under him.

Great job, humanity. We're building a beautiful world full of ashes, loss of human rights, dead trees and authoritian nutjobs.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks... a friend of mine moved down there to help empower Afro Brazilians and this guy is going to make that 50 times harder.