• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the moment Abrams was announced basically what I expected was something that was heavy on nostalgia, and character "banter/fun", just like the Abrams Trek films, but lacking in universe building, the overall story arc, mystery boxes that are more fun to think about than to actually answer ... that stuff just kinda stuff, just like the Trek films lack heavy in that regard.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can make a story about a Skywalker who doesn't care about the Force ... but does it have anything really to say or something compelling to add to the overall story? What's their conflict? Is it interesting?

Lets be honest, the story that really needed to be told was already told in the OT.

They're making more movies because they want money and need to contrive situations for that to happen with, not because there was an obvious and pressing story need for more.

Its Disney. I feel like this was know ever since the ST was announced. Its really not that surprising that pretty much everything since the OT is either terrible or forced.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
disappointed as i am with these movies i'm willing to give Ep 9 a shot to round things out retrospectively, whether planned are not. hopes aren't particularly high (if the leaks are true, ayee) but my mind is open

Last edited:

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything's changed but nothing's changed.

Yep, and the thing I like about that is that the main antagonist recognizes that and pushes to move on. Same with Luke. Both however want to move on in their own ways.

Problem is Kylo is completely nuts and Luke is...well...yeah.

Really interested to see how it plays out and how Rey deals with it.

What is JJ supposed to say? Yeah Rian's movie was kinda silly but we can salvage things? lol

Considering JJ has praised both Rian and the original Screenplay multiple times I doubt he'd say something he doesn't genuinely believe in.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was being sarcastic haha but I'm glad you're enjoying the films (just to clarify, this is not meant as sarcasm).

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
It's tough because the OT is really a master class in exploring the themes of light/dark side and the temptation therein.

Revenge of the Sith, which very flawed and sometimes laughably stupid basically did explore the opposite side of the coin.

There's just not much for the sequel trilogy to do than to kinda touch points that have already been gone over, so that derivative feeling was almost always gonna be there.

I mean how many times can you really invest in "oh noez! I think this Skywalker is turing to the dark side! Will he/she?!!" before it develops the feeling of "been there, done that".

I mean, we've got to factor in the fact that Disney paid a good amount of money for the name and most likely required a safety net from Abrams to operate in. Like the PT did put a dent in the brand one way or another. Still, when you look at it, Abrams did a fantastic job casting the film. Female and black lead who have an immense amount of chemistry every time they're together onscreen, Driver who knocked it out of the park. Then you have a first act which can measure with the best acts across the entire saga.

Like the nostalgia gets played up a lot with Abrams, and yes it's there. For me the trench run but not quite was a bit too much but still there is a lot there which is new and fresh. Like I would've never expected it to gross over 2 billion when it was announced Disney bought Lucasfilm after the PT.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was being sarcastic haha but I'm glad you're enjoying the films (just to clarify, this is not meant as sarcasm).

Haha well you actually spoke to one of the themes of the films, so sarcasm or not, there's a bit of truth to it, which to me, is what makes this trilogy a lot smarter than the vocal minority gives it credit for.

Oct 28, 2017
Well we're just kinda doing the same thing again ... with crappier villains and lesser characters but occasionally we'll do the opposite to try and trick you" isn't that compelling of a story narrative.

Rey coming to terms with being on her own, forging her own destiny and being a "nobody" in this grand story was not done to trick the audience but crucial to her entire character set-up in TFA.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling about leaked content
Rey coming to terms with being on her own, forging her own destiny and being a "nobody" in this grand story was not done to trick the audience but crucial to her entire character set-up in TFA.
let's wait for EP9 to find out if she really is a "nobody"

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread was bumped to tease leaked information and speculation from another currently active discussion. This thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.