• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who do you like more?

• Scorpion

Votes: 1,150 49.5%
  • Sub-Zero

Votes: 1,175 50.5%

• Total voters
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
The first MK game I played was MK3, so I was exposed to Sub-Zero first.. but after seeing Scorpion in UMK3/MK2 and the movie I liked him more and still do.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imho Scorpion is one of the most iconic characters of all fighting games, same applies for Pudge for all Mobas. I guess there's something about those hooks.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion and Johnny Cage were my mains (always hated the first movie made them fight)until Mileena came along, then it was Scorpion and Mileena.

So yeah, Scorpion no doubt. Fire > Ice

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"Get Over Here" is just too iconic, gotta go with Scorpion.
Most recent twitterpoll showed it's almost 50/50 between them, which I think is pretty cool.
Sub zero's freeze move was pretty iconic at the time too. Not sure anything like that had been done in fighting games at the time. Also his fatality with the spinal column hanging from the decapitated head was probably what elevated MK's status as a gorefest and may have been the most oft-used example.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I always main Sub and he's my favorite, but good god is that a dumb name. "I am Sub Zero...because I can form ice with my hands, and ice is below zero degrees centigrade. So that is how I got my name."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason that there has never been a main line Mortal Kombat game without Sub-Zero, which you can't say for any other character.

Nah, "Finish Him" and "Fatality" are easily more iconic lines than "Get Over Here."
I would be willing to be this isn't true. "Get over here" would top them, imo.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I like Sub-Zero's modern portrayal as a character more than Scorpion's, he seems like a deeper, more human character. Ignoring story though, Scorpion is more a badass

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, folks. I know how to solve the problem of who's more popular with scientific certainty.

img_20210411_094234pnkq9.jpg

img_20210411_094253xxju3.jpg

Interesting

Last edited:

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Sub Zero was sold out in my city's Halloween stores for two or three years. I never got that costume back in the day.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I personally liked reptile because green is better than blue and yellow. But scorpion is more iconic for sure. Even people that aren't really into the games no "get over here"

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sub Zero and Scorpions Popularity always ebbed and flowed with one being more popular than the other.

The thing is this changed when Ed and NetherRealm decided to make Scorpion the "hidden" chosen one by the gods and then with the reboot series made him the entire face of the company.

After that MK is always depicted as Scorpion fighting Sub Zero and Sub getting his ass kicked and then a fatality usually on him.

Its no surprise that Scorpion became much more popular, especially when Sub Zero has largely done jack shit without Scorpion for the last several games.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sub-Zero as a teen; Scorpion now.

Sub-Zero hasn't gelled with my play style since UMK3. That's the main reason. Scorpion was always good, but he plays way better in the more recent games. Story wise, I also don't like how they've developed Kuai Liang. I preferred Bi-Han the villain.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
If Sub-Zero was the one who yelled "Get over here!" then he would be the more popular one.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I like sub zero more but there's no way he's more popular than scorpion.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sub-Zero doesn't have a catchphrase. Or if he does, I don't know what it is.

That's really all I'm basing this off of.

EDIT: oh, is this about us individually? I guess I like Scorpion more, he's got a more varied moveset. Also has a catchphrase.

On the whole, I think the average person would gravitate towards Scorpion because of the catchphrase, which seems arbitrary but I'd wager is accurate.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Scorpion is the fav overall. But subzero is the best and cooler. Scorpion is goku and sub zero is vegeta (:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Scorpion is for edgy kids

subzero too, but the cool edgy kids. Pun and impossibility intended

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
In the early 90's Sub-Zero was more of the series mascot than Scorp. He got his own game and didn't miss MK3's roster.

Since MK9 I think Scorp took subs place as being the series mascot.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
When ever I went to LazerQuest everyone fought each other to use the name Scorpion; the guy who wanted to use Sub-Zero was always Sub-Zero cuz no one else cared. That's how I've always gauged thier popularity.