• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 ends with a celebration of banking loan, gregarism, love's mariage, family values, private property, personal vengeance, individual sacrifice for the sake of the community. For a studio called Rockstar, it's rock'n'roll as the Ned Flander's cover band.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
i dont expect social or political commentary from rockstar anymore. they have too much money. they'll probably just do a brainless 'blockbuster' action game with lots of set pieces, and a much bigger focus on online: gaas and microtransactions etc.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I "worry" it will be toothless pap like in V. I'd take an overall story like IV's over pretty much all of V's stuff.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I never played GTA V, but I walked in a room with a friend playing it and listening to the radio. There was a commercial for their version of NPR about how it was radio for guilty liberals who subsidize people who don't want to work. It wasn't even anger inducing or eye rolling, it was just...dumb.
Then it's working. That's how you're supposed to feel. Cmon people, it's Rockstar...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How will people react if Rockstar decides to go with another white male protagonist for GTA 6 is the bigger question?
It would be cool if it's not but um yea it's not a big issue if ita a white dude and the story is good? Do you expect backlash? Why?

Multi characters works so if they keep doing that, that's cool and if it's a white guy, so be it. I just want a game good like they've always done.

Era has stop these extreme takes on everything.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know they can do progressive stories with strong female characters and forward thinking themes as RDR2 showed, so I don't mind if they go back to becoming more South Park-esque with GTAVI

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Making fun of everyone does not mean your equating or "both sides". People need to stop abusing that term

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i dont expect social or political commentary from rockstar anymore. they have too much money. they'll probably just do a brainless 'blockbuster' action game with lots of set pieces, and a much bigger focus on online: gaas and microtransactions etc.

I'm really confused why you would think this, because RDR 2 was their longest single player game and it was anything but a blockbuster action game given how they doubled down on the slow pacing and immersive elements instead of just making another spaghetti western game like RDR 1. It also has the best writing of any rockstar game so far.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
It'll be just as dumb and toothless as always. There's absolutely nothing to worry about. Rockstar have nothing interesting to say. I love GTA V for a lot of things, but its 'satire' is not one of them.

I'm sure there's a hoard of ardent Family Guy fans with questionable facial hair ready to lap that shit up, though.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
It would be cool if it's not but um yea it's not a big issue if ita a white dude and the story is good? Do you expect backlash? Why?

Multi characters works so if they keep doing that, that's cool and if it's a white guy, so be it. I just want a game good like they've always done.

Era has stop these extreme takes on everything.
Because a lot of people criticized Arthur when the first RDR 2 trailer hit and now he is one of the greatest protagonist ever. People thought he was boring. Rockstar white male characters are often super diverse and never the generic type at least

Feb 10, 2018
They will take the piss out of everything like they usually do.

GTA5 takes the piss out of both the left and the right.

Houser did say that he's glad he didn't have to make a GTA with the current political landscape.
But to be honest it's not that big of a deal, politics in GTA has always had a brief place in the background and despite trump using a different style(being openly racist and very stupid) of politics the world has not changed that much.
I mean gta online has has been getting updates, and the influence it took from the real world was idealistic silicon Valley billionaires who think they create A.I and be God.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Trump wins re-election GTA 6 will be torn apart by critics if it even sniffs at poking fun at the Democrat base

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
oh they are going to "both sides" this shit so hard. I'm expecting it.

Well, yes, it's GTA. It's been thier thing forever. The GTA world is popular stereotypes played up to 11. Aside from 4, none of them are particulary serious on the macro scale. The micro scale (some character arcs, like Micheal/Trevor in 5) have more serious moments for sure, but the "world" itself has always been filled with over the top jokes and piss take

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
RDR2 ends with a celebration of banking loan, gregarism, love's mariage, family values, private property, personal vengeance, individual sacrifice for the sake of the community. For a studio called Rockstar, it's rock'n'roll as the Ned Flander's cover band.
Wow I'm shocked that an American outlaw of the early 20th century with no formal education isn't as progressive as a 2019 millennial. Shocked I tell you

Feb 10, 2018
If Trump wins re-election GTA 6 will be torn apart by critics if it even sniffs at poking fun at the Democrat base

It will poke fun at both like GTA5 did.
Also GTA has more power then dishonest critics, if GTA6 is genuinely great and critics score it low because of some political reason, millions of people will still buy it and those critics who scored it low, will lose a lot of credibility

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
All these GTA6 threads as of late feel waaaaaaaay too early tbh.

And to answer the question of the OP, no. It's not like GTAV's satire was that good to begin with.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
GTA has been making fun of everyone since 2001, there not going to stop because they might be accused by some people of "Both Sides"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes, it's GTA. It's been thier thing forever. The GTA world is popular stereotypes played up to 11. Aside from 4, none of them are particulary serious on the macro scale. The micro scale (some character arcs, like Micheal/Trevor in 5) have more serious moments for sure, but the "world" itself has always been filled with over the top jokes and piss take

Their stereotype of Republicans became really accurate. The main Republican politician in the series is Jock Crownley. He's a celebrity turned politician

As governor, I promise to fight for every citizen of San Andreas, and to fight particularly hard for the underdog - the white god fearing heterosexual that this country now hates.

Jock Cranley is...

pro Constitution

Apart from the separation of church and state bit.

pro family values

Now I believe masturbation is adultery.

pro life

Now I use my acting skills in politics.

pro freedom of speech

So long as you're not talking shit about America.

And this bit

Jock Cranley also refers to himself in the third person a lot.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
But GTA satire has always been terrible

At this point, the only American city that really interests me is Vice City again. Otherwise I hope they take it somewhere fresh

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know I think that might be part of why there's no GTAVI in sight.

RDR2 did have very overt anti-racism commentary though if that means anything.

Oct 27, 2017
And it will still sell 100 million copies
GTA is and will be one of the highest rated and grossing franchises in gaming history.
Are these like automated replies or something

I've enjoyed most of the GTA games (waited like five years to play V though) and am well aware they do and will sell a billion copies

I definitely do not play them for their keen satire though. Mostly in spite of it. Could barely deal with V

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow I'm shocked that an American outlaw of the early 20th century with no formal education isn't as progressive as a 2019 millennial. Shocked I tell you
It has nothing to do with character's morals or values described in the story, but choices made by writers for them and their choice to focus on that. And you can find a lot of uneducated heroes in the 19th century american or english literature that are revolutionnary or progressive. When LA NOIRE or GTA4 entirely assumed a form of pessimism or nihilism, RDR2 tries to be artificially moral, in contradiction of everything asked and shown to the players before the epilogue, and in a story plagued by incoherences.

Last edited:

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
GTA is one of the highest grossing, critically acclaimed franchises in history that revolutionized the open world genre but somehow the writing is bad guys

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't see them tackling half the topics in the OP?
What exactly did they tackle in V that was relevant to politics? I just remember robbing banks, stealing cars and family mid life crisis shit. Oh and the paparazzi mission that was a dog at Lohan.

Feb 10, 2018
Are these like automated replies or something

I've enjoyed most of the GTA games (waited like five years to play V though) and am well aware they do and will sell a billion copies

I definitely do not play them for their keen satire though. Mostly in spite of it. Could barely deal with V

Oh great to know. Most critics and 10s of millions of people disagree with you, but your opinion is superior in some way?

I'm sure this will divuldge into "everyone's opinions matters equally" well it doesn't when there is a lot of evidence showing the objective quality of GTA games.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I see GTA kind of like I see South Park. I can enjoy it enough as a fun house mirror of topical situations and environments and detach myself from the real world when playing games that just make fun of and/or parody it. I'm sorry that doesn't sound like something you want OP or can do. But I'm happy to have GTA as the "edgy" game so long as a bunch of games don't all follow suit.

Oct 28, 2017
GTA is one of the highest grossing, critically acclaimed franchises in history that revolutionized the open world genre but somehow the writing is bad guys
The fuck is this mentality?

Avatar is one of the highest-grossing movies of all-time and was influential in terms of CG, but the story is unoriginal and bad.

Something being successful doesn't mean it's automatically great in every category. I like GTA, But the writing and the commentary, especially in V, was really bad.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I think GTAVI will make fun of everyone, from minorities to nazis

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've lost a lot of respect for Rockstar with how they handled Shark Cards ($$$) and MTX. I mean come on, not even a real story DLC like with GTA IV? They're blinded by their own avarice.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Oh great to know. Most critics and 10s of millions of people disagree with you, but your opinion is superior in some way?

I'm sure this will divuldge into "everyone's opinions matters equally" well it doesn't when there is a lot of evidence showing the objective quality of GTA games.

Yeah, I'm sure the reason for that is GTA's "satire" and not the million of other things the series actually does well and is praised for.

If you removed GTA V's bad attempts at satire, I guarantee not one sale would've changed.