• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Tonight's keynote for BlizzConline, Blizzard's virtual showcase, was a tepid hour of previously leaked reveals for World of Warcraft and Diablo, some Hearthstone news, a passing mention of Diablo Immortal, and no Overwatch 2. As we're fond of saying these days, it could have been an email.

To be clear: I get it. 2020 was an impossible year for everyone. It's not easy for most of us to get through our individual days, much less make some video games and then put on a two-day virtual event about them. I wouldn't expect Blizzard to have a ton of new and exciting stuff to show, and what its teams presented clearly took a lot of work that must have been done under extraordinarily difficult circumstances. That Blizzard President J. Allen Brack and the rest of the presenters managed to put on entire outfits appropriate for wearing outdoors is an achievement far greater than any I've attained this week.

Still, the keynote felt disappointing. Making these presentations in an empty room, one that's usually full of excited fans, felt awkward to watch. The week's leaks might've taken some of the air out of announcements, but even the announcements themselves were sparse and flat. Ending things with Metallica valiantly thrashing around in what looked like an expensive rec room is a nice throwback, but grasping at normalcy just made the whole thing feel less normal to me. I'm admittedly not much of a Blizzard fan, but I was really hoping for something to be excited about. Instead of being the brief reprieve I'd hoped for, I just felt kinda sad.

Compare tonight's keynote to Nintendo's surprise Direct earlier this week, which was jammed with announcements. They weren't all blockbusters, but it was an energizing event. Nintendo also had its standard pre-recorded video format to lean on: The Direct looked like a regular Direct, despite the mention of covid in a title card at the beginning. As a result, it felt like something clearly affected by the pandemic but not so much battered by it. It works in non-pandemic times, and it worked this week too. Given its storied history as a live event, a BlizzCon in 2021 faces a tougher challenge.

https://kotaku.com/it-wouldve-been-ok-to-skip-this-one-blizzard-1846312741

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Maybe skipping the keynote I guess. But the feature streams about Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV were informative and well-received.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Whoever wrote that for kotaku is totally wrong.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could have been half the time and still would have been too long. The Nintendo Event was complete shit too, no idea how they thought otherwise.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm not understanding the problem, this is pretty much what people wanted from Blizzard as far as i know. And Nintendo has the benefit of being a platform holder which they can have a ton of varied things shown off in a Direct because they arent the only ones who have content in it while Blizz is just one company at the end of the day.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
While it wasn't as big as Blizzcon 2019, they had plenty of announcements.

I remember Blizzcon 2010 where nothing was announced besides a Diablo 3 class.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I didn't think it was the best but there's no reason to shit on something that makes people happy during a pandemic.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The keynote was fairly lowkey but it still had a decent amount of stuff, even with the leaks, and the other panels have been pretty solid so far.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm admittedly not much of a Blizzard fan, but I was really hoping for something to be excited about. Instead of being the brief reprieve I'd hoped for, I just felt kinda sad.

"I'm not a fan of any of Blizzard's IPs and at the end I was sad".

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
lol that article feels clueless

They've been revealing and going into a lot more detail in the segments after the keynote- as usual.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Well, we did see Metallica reaping what they sow with the whole Napster thing

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get needing to be selective with when you want to be "tough" on stuff so you don't seem like an overly critical or praising outlet but come on, bad judgment call on this one. As far as big flashy infomercials went, it was fine despite everything having leaked out.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It Would've Been OK To Skip This One, Kotaku.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku, it would've been ok not to post this article.

The presentation was perfectly fine.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Comparing the Direct to Blizzcon is such a lame comparison.

How you going to call Blizzcon flat when the only Zelda news at the Direct was an overpriced port of a divisive Zelda game?

Blizzcon was fine and these companies should be commended for spending the money to try and make these events interesting for fans.

Lmao. The I'm not a Blizzard fan but wanted something to excite me is such a weirdly self absorbed take.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
The keynote was just poorly done, but it was fine
There has been plenty of Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 info after the keynote considering they aren't 2021 games

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Dude says he's not a Blizzard fan and compares it to Nintendo Direct for the reason. Jam packed with new games vs what this boring show was? Ok...

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I disagree tbh, it was cool for me, even with the cringy writing of the starting presentation everyone there looked and sounded passionate with the games and projects they were talking about, and I don't even care for Diablo for example(even though I might play 2 remaster).
This is an unnecessarily negative article.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saying that they should have skipped it because things leaked is a pretty dumb take to put it mildly

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I fully reject the premise that this week's Nintendo Direct was much better than this Blizzcon.

Obviously it's going to feel different during a pandemic, but they had good stuff to show.

Just some bad takes in the article.

rale_kan

Aug 27, 2020
I like events, even if they're small and quick. But even if there are not a lot of news, I like seeing the deep dives, like the one for OW2 and Diablo 2.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
didnt they temper expectations? the diablo reveals were great though, legitimately hyped as hell for D2R

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's like someone who didn't watch it or heard off hand what was shown to spit out an article. Especially considering how great the Overwatch 2 showing was.

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It's like someone who didn't watch it or heard off hand what was shown to spit out an article. Especially considering how great the Overwatch 2 showing was.
I fail to see what was so great about OW2 showing. From reading official forum and reddit it sounds like majority of OW players are disappointed. They revealed 4 new designs and showed 2 maps and some concept arts. There was basically nothing new. No new hero, no cinematic, no beta, no date, OW1 not mentioned and left to die... What was so great about it?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

The OW2 update was really good, it sounds like what we're getting is absolutely incredible. Take your time, let that shit cook because man is it going to be delicious once I eat it. Enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff!

Diablo 2 Resurrected looks great.

I liked the D4 cinematic for the rogue reveal.

The WoW stuff was nice.

This one felt more like a Nintendo Direct than a Blizzcon (at least, as far as the opening ceremony went), but I enjoyed it.

Honestly, this is probably one of my favorite Blizzcons in recent memory because I was interested in more than just the WoW stuff.

"I'm not a fan of any of Blizzard's IPs and at the end I was sad".

Lol, yep. I'm a huge fan of Blizzard, they're easily one of my top 3 studios, and I was more than happy with what they had to show off.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more.

The OW2 update was really good, it sounds like what we're getting is absolutely incredible. Take your time, let that shit cook because man is it going to be delicious once I eat it. Enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff!
The Kotaku author was so eager to hit publish button that he missed the overwatch update

Tonight's keynote for BlizzConline, Blizzard's virtual showcase, was a tepid hour of previously leaked reveals for World of Warcraft and Diablo, some Hearthstone news, a passing mention of Diablo Immortal, and no Overwatch 2. As we're fond of saying these days, it could have been an email.