• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdest marketed film of the year. The marketing (and title) of the film have absolutely nothing to do with what the film is actually about.

That said, I liked it, but I can see how some people wouldn't.
So something similar to what screwed over Mother! and Crimson Peak. They market them as horror or thriller films when in reality they're a weird drama/allegory and a gothic romance.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
So something similar to what screwed over Mother! and Crimson Peak. They market them as horror or thriller films when in reality they're a weird drama/allegory and a gothic romance.
At least mother!'s title and posters weren't misleading at all, just the trailers. The title and posters of this movie still make it seem like it's some sort of monster movie.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bad movie was bad. Yawn. Agree with you OP, very disappointed. So many unanswered questions. It's whatever though, after watching Annihilation I needed something chill and uneventful to cleanse the palette.

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. What's the payoff supposed to be? We watch them grind it out for ten more years or something. There is nothing to resolve, their life sucks ass.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate to hear. It looked pretty interesting, but now that I've seen what it is, it looks like a waste of m time. Does't look like there's much to really sink my teeth into. Sounds like a well-made, but shallow, film.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I liked It Comes at Night and It Follows better than the VVitch.

sooo, there.
Yeah I agree. The VVitch gets credit for its atmosphere but I found it super annoying how often they undercut tension by ending a scene early. The Blackcoat's Daughter is another recent small budget horror movie that I really enjoyed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's unfortunate to hear. It looked pretty interesting, but now that I've seen what it is, it looks like a waste of m time. Does't look like there's much to really sink my teeth into. Sounds like a well-made, but shallow, film.
....imagine not watching generally well received movies by spoiling yourself by reading someone else's opinions.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't watch it. Actually fell asleep during it. Didn't bother going back to it. I've watched many crappy movies and made it through them but not this. Did nothing for me.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you can always watch it for yourself to be sure. The film has its fans, so it's not a guarantee that you'll hate it.

But personally speaking, I was really let down by It Comes At Night. I adored The Witch and I'm pumped for Hereditary to come out in a few weeks, but ICAN just lacked the same charm that The Witch had imo.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
....imagine not watching generally well received movies by spoiling yourself by reading someone else's opinions.

Or reading the plot of the film, which I did. No way I'd reply based strictly on one post's word. I often don't mind spoiling things for myself. I've taken this approach sometimes and it often works out, as I find a lot of movies I enjoy and some I'm happy to avoid. Like I said, it looks like a well made film (trailers and stuff looked great), but not one that interests me. The premise doesn't interest me so I'll spoil it for myself. I feel the disinterest has only been enforced. The trailers do look like thy were being somewhat of a misdirect.

To talk on some other films mentioned, I really like It Follows. Haven't see The Witch yet. I won't say I'll never see It Comes at Night, but it isn't on any list of my own. It'll come at night when I'm bored and can't decide on on anything to watch.

I mean, you can always watch it for yourself to be sure. The film has its fans, so it's not a guarantee that you'll hate it.

But personally speaking, I was really let down by It Comes At Night. I adored The Witch and I'm pumped for Hereditary to come out in a few weeks, but ICAN just lacked the same charm that The Witch had imo.

Hereditary is one I plan on watching. That one looks like it might a pretty fun horror flick. The Witch has been on a list of mine. A reminder this thread has made for me, so I'll likely watch it sooner than later. But yeah, should watch it myself if I do want to have a fully-informed opinion.
Two families experiencing paranoia about an infection without much outside of that
seems boring though.

Oct 25, 2017
lmao @ wanting more shitty monster movies, It Comes at Night was excellent

Personally, it's not about whether or not it's a monster movie. I knew going in that ICAN was a psychological thriller and that the titular "It" was the cast's own paranoia. I thought that was a great idea on paper, although I understood why it'd piss off a fair number of audience goers who thought it'd be a monster. I just didn't think the film worked as well as it could have on its own merits. The tension and payoff in ICAN doesn't land for me the same way it does in The Witch.

Hereditary is one I plan on watching. That one looks like it might a pretty fun horror flick. The Witch has been on a list of mine. A reminder this thread has made for me, so I'll likely watch it sooner than later. But yeah, should watch it myself if I do want to have a fully-informed opinion.
Two families experiencing paranoia about an infection without much outside of that
seems boring though.

I would agree on that. I think it could have absolutely worked, but the film just feels like it meanders too much.

Dec 11, 2017
I like any "horror" movie where the characters behave in a realistic manner given their circumstances. This movie had that.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Like Annihilation this movie was way too subtle and smart for its audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Like Annihilation this movie was way too subtle and smart for its audience.

Eh, again, I got what It Comes At Night was going for. I just didn't think it worked all that well. Meanwhile, I adore films like Annihilation and The Witch.

For me, it's just a weaker film in general than more "subtle" horror films that have been released lately.

It's OK. A poor man's The Thing.

Seriously. The Thing is still the GOAT horror film when it comes to paranoia and building up tension within a group that's about to kill each other. It Comes At Night doesn't even come close imo.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I interpreted the movie as an isolated episode in the post-apocalypse, a kind of study of the breakdown of altruism and community after society's destruction. In that context it's pretty good.

If you're expecting the kind of horror film it was marketed as, it's natural to be disappointed. I was left going "huh" myself.

I thought it was an amazing movie. Characters well-built over a perfect pace, which lead to a lot of tension towards the ending.

The Witch, however, was ass.
Calling an incredibly well made movie "ass" makes you sound like an uncultured pleb. It's not a bad movie just because you weren't personally startled or disturbed enough. Your level of engagement doesn't directly correlate to quality.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you use RT as an indicator? That site had Sausage Party up high, and it was absolutely one of the worst films ever made.
Rotten Tomatoes is nothing more than a review aggregate. Average score of 6.8/10 isn't terrible for a film. Using the average score and the general critical reception is not a bad way of judging if a movie is worth your time or not.

Oct 25, 2017
I was so shocked the movie had a black cast (outside of Edgerton). nobody told me that going in. Great performances.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
It was my number one movie of last year. I still stand by that assessment. I actually love that it raises so many questions and answers almost none of them. I think it was a super good call on the part of the director. It is a well realized world where the characters are just random characters who come together, rather than extraordinary people. I am able to think back about this movie constantly and it leaves me in wonder as I contemplate what the hell could have been done to get a happy ending. It is a super bleak movie and on top of the virus and other strangers who want to kill you there is also something in the woods that killed the dog. I have found it endlessly fun to speculate on the specifics of this world which is something you can only get with unanswered questions. It is understandable why the characters would be so paranoid and I found it fascinating to see that paranoia rub against their desire to be good people and help another family/accept help.

A Quiet Place would have benefited from having more restraint like It Comes At Night. AQP goes into too much detail and when you think back on it you realize just how many holes are in the story.

Oct 25, 2017
I think former executes building up tension much better than the Thing and I adore The Thing!

I find that hard to imagine, personally. But who knows? I could go back and watch ICAN again sometime and find myself enjoying it more the second go-around. I do admit that my screening of the film wasn't done any favors by a very bad experience at the theater (the room was unusually hot and muggy, the audio had all sorts of issues that we had to nag the staff to come in and fix), but even then reflecting back on the film as a whole- nothing I remember from it has resonated for me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't particularly love this movie either but people hating on it cause they took the title literally is the dumbest thing.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew the title and poster were misleading going in, so I was spared the unpleasant surprise, but man is that poster misleading as hell. That scene in the movie doesn't even take place at night. It's amazing they thought the marketing was acceptable. It's like they took a look at their production stills and they really liked that one (who doesn't?) so they just made it look like night to make it scarier and made it the poster, with no regard to the fact that it doesn't fit the film. I liked the film well enough, but it's a case of the poster being much better than the film it's made for. It was decently tense, well-made and interesting, but it's very simple and doesn't have much to say in the end.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
It needed a few more tension building scenes imo. There weren't enough to make you really care about the characters.

The thing is the gold standard.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really was though. I'm increasingly becoming weary of going blind in movies, or even just lightly informed. If a movie turns out to be a potato then it's just a waste of a good evening.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. I put it right alongside A Quiet Place in that only takeaway was that child characters only exist in horror movies to progress the plot by being stupid in place of anything interesting.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
the only thing i didn't really 'get' was kim kissing travis in bed. i assume it started as one of travis' sexual fantasies, but then turned into a nightmare? (the black shit coming out of her mouth etc)

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It Comes At Night is brilliant and one of my favorite horror movies ever. Makes me sad at how hated it is