• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I've had a PS4 for a few years, but despite I still mainly gamed on my PS2 as the PS1 and PS2 eras are my favorite in gaming. My favorite gaming moments of the past 5 years are playing games like Parasite Eve, original Resident Evil games, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Persona 3. Earlier this year my HD TV started having issues so I got a 4K TV. Now I notice that there isn't a composite port so it's not been able to plug in. I haven't gamed since, as I'm just not interested in newer games as much (aside from Persona 5, I loved that game).
RIP PS2 days.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.retrorgb.com

Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)

https://youtu.be/vHqT1God9vk The Open Source Scan Converter is a zero lag upscaler. At the moment, it is by far the sharpest way to play your analog consoles via HDMI, offering tons of options, 2x 480p (960p) and up to 5x 240p (1080p!). It's only shortcoming is it's not compatible with all TV's

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I know it's more money, but I'd go for an OSSC and some good cables.

It's the only way I've been playing my PS2, PS1, SNES, and a bunch of other consoles on my 4K TV.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Emulation
HDMI adapter/Converter
Backwards compatible PS3
Dedicated Old TV

Are all potential solutions. Each with varying degrees of difficulty, input lag, and expense

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a half decent laptop/PC, you can always emulate your games on higher resolutions on a monitor or even your 4K TV, and bring them up to speed that way.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Are you using COMPOSITE (yellow/white/red) or COMPONENT (white/red green/blue/red)? you can get a component cable for the PS2 and your TV may support that. Same with SVIDEO possibly? You can also get a composite or component to HDMI adapter. Apparently there's also PS2 to HDMI adapters but I haven't used one my self.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Another option is the Retrotink 2x-Pro

www.retrotink.com

2X-Pro | RetroTINK

The RetroTINK-2X returns in it's Pro form! Everything that was great about the original is back plus new improvements and features: Professional injection molded enclosure Inputs: Component, S-video, Composite (shared with the green jack) at 240p/288p/480i/576i Output: Digital Video Automatic...

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada

RCA to HDMI, GANA 1080P Mini RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS4 PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD (Black) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

RCA to HDMI, GANA 1080P Mini RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Converter Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS4 PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD (Black) : Amazon.ca: Electronics
www.retrorgb.com

https://youtu.be/vHqT1God9vk The Open Source Scan Converter is a zero lag upscaler. At the moment, it is by far the sharpest way to play your analog consoles via HDMI, offering tons of options, 2x 480p (960p) and up to 5x 240p (1080p!). It's only shortcoming is it's not compatible with all TV's
Emulation
HDMI adapter/Converter
Backwards compatible PS3
Dedicated Old TV

Are all potential solutions. Each with varying degrees of difficulty, input lag, and expense
Isn't there hdmi adapters for PS2 ?
Get an OSSC or a Retrotink.

🤢
Thank you, all. I'll look into it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a PS4 for a few years, but despite I still mainly gamed on my PS2 as the PS1 and PS2 eras are my favorite in gaming. My favorite gaming moments of the past 5 years are playing games like Parasite Eve, original Resident Evil games, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid and Persona 3. Earlier this year my HD TV started having issues so I got a 4K TV. Now I notice that there isn't a composite port so it's not been able to plug in. I haven't gamed since, as I'm just not interested in newer games as much (aside from Persona 5, I loved that game).
RIP PS2 days.
What kind of tv did you have before? You should be using component anyway it'll make the system look much clearer. At least as clear as a pc2 can get. I'd get an OSSC or if you don't want to spend that kind of money you can actually buy HDMI cables for the PS2 now.

Oct 24, 2019
I dont understand the correlation. Are you saying this because Sony and Nintendo's refusal to bring most games forward? Plus there are adapters.

My point is that lots of people whine about remakes being a "waste of resources," but the reality is that remakes are the ideal choice for a lot of people don't want to deal with the bs of getting an adapter just to play their favorite classic (or don't want to play an emulation of a game that looks like ass these days)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand the correlation. Are you saying this because Sony and Nintendo's refusal to bring most games forward? Plus there are adapters.
I don't know about full-fledged remakes, but the OP is an outlier. Most folks don't have their PS2s anymore. And a lot of the PS2 remasters released on PS3 aren't playable on the PS4.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Most questions you may have about can be answered in this OT:

www.resetera.com

Retro AV Thread |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and More

WORK IN PROGRESS Welcome to the Retro AV thread, here to help you get the best picture quality out of your retro consoles. Using a CRT? A framemeister to a modern LCD? Or maybe an OSSC? We'll do our best to help you get the best image quality out of how ever you play your classic systems...

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Do not buy one of those cheap converter boxes. Get a dedicated upscaler like the OSSC or RetroTink. The Retrotink Classic is only about $70 now and was basically invented for bringing forward Composite video.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just emulate the games in 4k. It runs and looks so much better you will wonder why you didn't do it a decade ago. If you don't have a PC you can build a dirt cheap emulation rig.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I use a cheap PS2-to-HDMI converter that uses USB power for voltage, but I should probably get a OSSC soon. My friends and I play a lot of PS2 still.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. IMO dude you should be interested in modern games. There is a ton that retains the spirit of PS1/PS2 days, and a ton of entirely new concepts in general. I totally get playing retro games, I have several hooked up that I play regularly in addition to modern systems (N64, Saturn, DC, PS2) but you're really missing out.
  2. Just buy/take a cheap/free CRT TV off Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. I did that when I moved into our house and have a whole retro area set up now. Looks so much better than on any prior HDTV imo.
  3. If you're looking for great modern games, I'd recommend (on PS4) Stardew Valley, Coffee Talk, Yakuza Series, Gris, Donut County, OnRush, Ni No Kuni franchise, OlliOlli, Spelunky.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
  1. IMO dude you should be interested in modern games. There is a ton that retains the spirit of PS1/PS2 days, and a ton of entirely new concepts in general. I totally get playing retro games, I have several hooked up that I play regularly in addition to modern systems (N64, Saturn, DC, PS2) but you're really missing out.
  2. Just buy/take a cheap/free CRT TV off Craigslist, OfferUp, etc. I did that when I moved into our house and have a whole retro area set up now. Looks so much better than on any prior HDTV imo.
  3. If you're looking for great modern games, I'd recommend (on PS4) Stardew Valley, Coffee Talk, Yakuza Series, Gris, Donut County, OnRush, Ni No Kuni franchise, OlliOlli, Spelunky.
I should probably find new content to watch and instead of constantly looking for older material. I mainly watch black-and-white TV and movies and also (referencing your profile picture) mainly watch wrestling from the 1980s-mid 2000s. I want to use this period to look for newer games that interest me. I liked Cuphead and so would probably enjoy more indie games, and I think the Switch looks like a console that has games I would enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
I should probably find new content to watch and instead of constantly looking for older material. I mainly watch black-and-white TV and movies and also (referencing your profile picture) mainly watch wrestling from the 1980s-mid 2000s. I want to use this period to look for newer games that interest me. I liked Cuphead and so would probably enjoy more indie games, and I think the Switch looks like a console that has games I would enjoy.
I get it dude, and 80s-2000s wrestling was great.

There are some really good titles I think you'd like, judging by your comments, on your PS4. Good luck!

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
You might want to check if your TV supports any other kind of analog video. The cable included with the PS2 is for composite video, but with a suitable cable, the PS2 also supports component video, S-video, and RGB, all delivering better video quality than composite.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Is a nice crt out of the question? I have 2 Sony trinitrons with component and svideo and they were .09 cents each from the thrift store.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have component support? If it does, just grab a PS3/PS2 component cable as they are the same

HomokHarcos here buddy, $13 at Gamestop and your TV probably has these connections component cable

Last edited:

toadfrawg

Oct 27, 2017
Get an OSSC or a Retrotink.

🤢
Gotta second this. Both are line-doublers and will not add any latency. Either will suit your needs. The Retrotink is cheaper and is easy to set up. The OSSC costs a bit more but offers more features. If you go the OSSC route, I'd recommend getting the remote too.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I get it dude, and 80s-2000s wrestling was great.

There are some really good titles I think you'd like, judging by your comments, on your PS4. Good luck!

I have an LG OLED C9 4K HDR Bla Bla.. but during this pandemic, I've been mainly using it to watch 240p content of 80s-90s Pro Wrestling on Youtube. So much so that I decided to subscribe to WWE Network for the first time for better quality, but *sigh*... the UI navigation is not the same. I also like that youtube recommends me similar matches right when I turn on the TV.

On topic though, OP if you haven't already I hope you give Ace Combat 4,5, Zero a try.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
www.retrorgb.com

I second this recommendation. You'll still have to deal with the fact that the PS2 uses interlacing a lot, but it works, without introducing any input lag.