• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this applies to 343 and The Coalition, also new ip does not instantly makes it better than a series. but i am very hyped for Everwild and the next Obsidian game which is a new ip.

also, let's wait the Studios announce their games.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You're trying to put words on me that I didn't write.

I am saying from the beginning that Microsoft relies more on the purchase of IPs and studios than it invests in the organic composition of Xbox Games Studios and new ideas.

Your answer does not change my argument. Halo is a Microsoft IP because the company bought it from Bungie. But is this a creation of Microsoft itself as is, for example, Zelda for Nintendo or Uncharted for Sony? Do not.

Bleeding Edge and Grounded are games that started your creative process within Microsoft? I don't know, and you also don't seem to know or don't want to say. I give the benefit of the doubt that yes. Then there would be two AAs that come from Microsoft funding, joining the Sea of Thives and Forza team.

I never touched on the discussion of who owns the IP. I am arguing about Microsoft's business approach compared to its peers.

It's grating to see so many people make such arbitrary measures of how things should be and then criticize an entity for not doing it that exact way.

Why do you want them to be Sony or Nintendo? You have Sony and Nintendo for that.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
There is no fundamental difference between these two things because at the end of the day, they are all exclusive IP managed by the publisher used to define their hardware.

I respect that point of view despite disagreeing.

I don't think preparing my own food or buying it ready-made is the same thing, although in the end I eat both.

But I understand that for those who are only going to play it doesn't matter.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Everyday day

Dont you find they bring you such joy?
Like, I primarily game on PC, so the whole MS vs Sony thing doesn't really concern me, but goddamn it this forum is getting unbearable with these hot takes every single day.

I mean, it's to be expected honestly, the eve of a new gen is peak time for console warring, but geez.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Yes, but I think it is better to wait until July OP, they will have a good display to what to come and we hope they will show new IP's there.
I know that some can act based on dishonesty but people could be less defensive sometimes, it was an '' ok '' question, not everyone wants to create FUD or something like that.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
It's grating to see so many people make such arbitrary measures of how things should be and then criticize an entity for not doing it that exact way.

Why do you want them to be Sony or Nintendo? You have Sony and Nintendo for that.

That's exactly my question! Whether or not Microsoft should follow this path.

I personally prefer what Nintendo and, recently, Sony have been doing. Now, if you think the opposite is great! I would like to read arguments that justify the advantage. =)

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
People keep bringing up arguments like these while MS is currently working on it's first party. Wait until July at least.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
We should probably wait and see what they have to show in July before running with a bunch of unconfirmed rumors.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
You're trying to put words on me that I didn't write.

I am saying from the beginning that Microsoft relies more on the purchase of IPs and studios than it invests in the organic composition of Xbox Games Studios and new ideas.

Your answer does not change my argument. Halo is a Microsoft IP because the company bought it from Bungie. But is this a creation of Microsoft itself as is, for example, Zelda for Nintendo or Uncharted for Sony? Do not.

Bleeding Edge and Grounded are games that started your creative process within Microsoft? I don't know, and you also don't seem to know or don't want to say. I give the benefit of the doubt that yes. Then there would be two AAs that come from Microsoft funding, joining the Sea of Thives and Forza team.

I never touched on the discussion of who owns the IP. I am arguing about Microsoft's business approach compared to its peers.

I'm just confused. Do you think Microsoft buys the devs then helps them come up with new IP?

Rare made Viva Pinata and SoT while owned by MS but I don't see how that makes the IP more "organic" than the Killer Instinct reboot. If you watch the KI documentry it shows regardless of who owns what creative people have ideas. I'd rather not have MS try to force studios to make new IP just to check a box.

Let each studio develop games they want and when needed new IP will be made.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Like, I primarily game on PC, so the whole MS vs Sony thing doesn't really concern me, but goddamn it this forum is getting unbearable with these hot takes every single day.

I mean, it's to be expected honestly, the eve of a new gen is peak time for console warring, but geez.

It's going to get worse

A lot of people are scared Microsoft are going to be strong competition this gen, so people showing how 'concerned' they are about Xbox

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Lol, what kind of elitist weirdness is this now. "I guess if you only play the games, you would not understand" oO

You like it for words that are not written.

I didn't say you won't understand. I said that for those who play it makes no difference. And it doesn't. Whether Halo is the brainchild of Microsoft or another company is of little relevance to most of the millions of buyers.

I think you should stop accusing others of what you want to read.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I pretty sure 343i is made for Halo and will prove that with Infinite.

But I have less confidence on TC with Gears. I think new IP or Second team or really really big reboot needed by this team.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I'm just confused. Do you think Microsoft buys the devs then helps them come up with new IP?

Rare made Viva Pinata and SoT while owned by MS but I don't see how that makes the IP more "organic" than the Killer Instinct reboot. If you watch the KI documentry it shows regardless of who owns what creative people have ideas. I'd rather not have MS try to force studios to make new IP just to check a box.

Let each studio develop games they want and when needed new IP will be made.

They sign the checks and give the green light. The process is very iterative. If Rare can do it, it's because Microsoft allowed it. And we never know what led to a red light.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The poster I replied to asked "Who does that in gaming", not the reason they do it. Also, as others have noted - so do other Sony 1st party devs like ND (a completely new IP TLOU instead of the next Uncharted) and Sucker Punch (Ghost of Tsushima instead of inFAMOUS). Many devs do this, in fact, but I mention Sony ones because the OP is asking about Microsoft 1st party studios an new IPs.

Did Naughty Dog dump Uncharted for TLOU?

Rare made Sea of Thieves and are working on Everwild. That doesn't count?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Isn't it time for Sony to start building some multiplayer and co-op IPs?

It never comes up (especially on ERA), but it is certainly noticeable that Sony has yet to successfully establish a MP/ service title besides GT Sport. But as ERA doesn't like those as much as cinematic SP games, it is rarely discussed.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly my question! Whether or not Microsoft should follow this path.

I personally prefer what Nintendo and, recently, Sony have been doing. Now, if you think the opposite is great! I would like to read arguments that justify the advantage. =)

The argument is we have three distinct companies and its amazing. The constant want for one to be the other doesn't make sense.

Being organic also isn't always easy. Hiring talent isn't always easy. It's difficult. It takes time to build a cohesive team.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is doing what Sony and Nintendo have already done. They have successful new IPs (Ori and Sea if Thieves). It sounds like Obsidian is working on a AAA rpg that's a new IP, and they have a ton of other studios working on new stuff aswell. Like, State of Decay has always been an Xbox exclusive. Just because Undead Labs wasn't owned by MS previously doesn't mean the IP wasn't attached to their brand. And now Undead Labs is working on a large scale State of Decay game.

Halo is going through the same thing God of War and BOTW went through. The IP itself is being reimagined and reworked. No one saw God of War PS4 and made a thread complaining that it wasn't a new IP.

As for Fable (which we'll probably see fanboys concern troll over)? The last Fable was 10 years ago on hardware designed in 2004/2005. If a new Fable is coming, it will be an entirely new beast.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's been time for almost two generations now.

This is the main reason I haven't bought any of their consoles since the original xbox

You have not bought and Xbox console because the games you can only play on their console were not created by developers that were financially and legaly bound to Microsoft? I'm sorry brother. But that sounds like some absolute nonsense. Thats like me saying that I will never buy Spiderman for Playstation because at the time they made it they were a 3rd party developer and not owned by Sony and I only buy exclusive titles on my Playstation. It's just utter nonsense.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It never comes up (especially on ERA), but it is certainly noticeable that Sony has yet to successfully establish a MP/ service title besides GT Sport. But as ERA doesn't like those as much as cinematic SP games, it is rarely discussed.
I am surprised at where the goalposts will shift once Microsoft is getting third person games and RPG's out with some consistency.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a thread that would make a lot more sense to make AFTER their July showcase, no?

Not for OP because at that point they wouldn't have all this cherry picked information to post in an effort to somehow make Microsoft look bad for engaging in 2nd party development of games. I am still trying to understand what their point was but all I can get to is that they're knocking Microsoft for having exclusive games that are made by non exclusive developers and it makes no sense to me.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It was a fuck-up, I found that event a huge misreading of the room and massively disappointing, but to say they tried to blame their mistakes on the viewers and that they treated them like they're stupid was a lil bit of fiction. That's all.

To me, if you promise something and it turns out you made shit up, then turning around and saying 'we set the wrong expectation, thats on us' is not enough,

An apology would need to explain the fuck up. Why did they lie? Incompetence? Maliciusness? They thought we would not notice?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Man too bad about the new Fable and Perfect Dark games being made by 1P studios but only being made based on IP owned by Microsoft, not being made based on IP originally created by a company owned by Microsoft. Guess they are doomed :(

I'd say this has to be the king of wtf concern troll threads, but we're getting new champs almost every day and it's a long way to July...

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

You are a funny guy, I have to admit. Just see what you want to see. And put things in quotes that people didn't say.

Here at ERA there is even the "The PlayStation Template" meme hahaahahaha.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I didn't say you won't understand. I said that for those who play it makes no difference. And it doesn't. Whether Halo is the brainchild of Microsoft or another company is of little relevance to most of the millions of buyers.

So what was the motivation for this thread then, if you already accept that all consumers want is the end product - great games?

My point is it's their decision to do whatever they want. The team makes the games they want to make

Worth noting that all the XGS studios say they have the creative freedom to make what they want, so that isn't exactly unique.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
I think Microsoft assigns too much value to IPs and not enough to the talent making them, if that wasn't the case Bungie would be a first party.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

But what is then the issue you seem to be concerned about? As you say yourself, for a gamer it does not matter who came up with the idea as long as it is published by the first-party whose platform they own. So why is it something Microsoft must do, as long as they manage to have compelling games?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
They traded an over the shoulder linear action game where you shoot and occasionally stealth/punch for an over the shoulder linear action game where you stealth/punch and occasionally shoot. Honestly, I can imagine bigger shifts.

Also they immediately went back and made two more Uncharted games.

They made two of the most successful IPs of all time and its a new IP. You clearly have never played either of them.
Lordy the goal post moving is getting out of control in here.

Of the 3 Microsoft in the past proved they were really the most inept at handling their studios. The fact that they lost Bungie when they could have agreed to let them take a couple years off of Halo to make Destiny is so shortsighted and bewildering it still makes no sense to me.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
To me, if you promise something and it turns out you made shit up, then turning around and saying 'we set the wrong expectation, thats on us' is not enough,

An apology would need to explain the fuck up. Why did they lie? Incompetence? Maliciusness? They thought we would not notice?

Maybe they consider trailers comprised of in-game footage to be gameplay, same as all the people saying we saw Horizon Forbidden West gameplay last week. But I doubt that's it. Good luck on your quest to plumb the depths of Microsoft's evil.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Isn't it about time for Sega to shut down SMT and Persona games. I mean, they didn't own Atlus when the IP was invented, so they don't count. Right?

I'm afraid for Sega's future you guys. /s

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
My point is it's their decision to do whatever they want. The team makes the games they want to make

And the studios that MS CREATED to handle the IPs are doing what they were intended to do. Anyone who went to work for 343 knew they would be working on a Halo game. Same with the Coalition. Turn 10 is obviously a racing studio. Guessing you have no issue with Sonys studio that only does racing games.

they have handled those 2 IPs in a way that puts a ton of money and focus on them. It's not a mystery.. and they have allowed side projects like Halo Wars and Gears Tactics to be made. Both of these IPs are still massive pulls for their brand.. what is wrong with that? The last Halo game was what 5+ years ago? Not like they are shitting them out to abuse the IP.

I personally dont see much variety in the Sony platform of exclusives... still enjoy them for what they are and move on. I cant tell who is serious here any longer.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The only downside of making new IPs through external devs is losing publisher/exclusive rights if the studio is purchased by another publisher. See BioWare with Mass Effect and Jade Empire.

But it's also worth noting that some of the biggest hits from Nintendo and Sony were made from these "second party" deals as well - Smash, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, R&C, Kirby, DKC, BK etc.

edit: Pokémon too

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
So what was the motivation for this thread then, if you already accept that all consumers want is the end product - great games?

Worth noting that all the XGS studios say they have the creative freedom to make what they want, so that isn't exactly unique.

You really think they would be allowed to say otherwise? I don't think anyone wants to be stuck making Gears forever. We didn't know how much Bungie hated their arrangement until they couldn't handle it anymore and pulled a Mad Men esque escape plan to get the hell out. Do you remember all the interviews with Bungie before that happened saying how MS was forcing them to work on only Halo? Me either.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
You have not bought and Xbox console because the games you can only play on their console were not created by developers that were financially and legaly bound to Microsoft? I'm sorry brother. But that sounds like some absolute nonsense. Thats like me saying that I will never buy Spiderman for Playstation because at the time they made it they were a 3rd party developer and not owned by Sony and I only buy exclusive titles on my Playstation. It's just utter nonsense.
No. Because they didn't push new IP and just made studios into sequel factories.

They have some talented staff but they just churn out the same game over and over.

Doesn't help that the kind of game doesn't interest me either.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
They made two of the most successful IPs of all time and its a new IP. You clearly have never played either of them.

Of the 3 Microsoft in the past proved they were really the most inept at handling their studios. The fact that they lost Bungie when they could have agreed to let them take a couple years off of Halo to make Destiny is so shortsighted and bewildering it still makes no sense to me.

Fucking ROFL. I've played Uncharted and Last of Us, probably more than you. Shit I finished Golden Abyss multiple times.

If you think those two games represent the biggest possible shift for a studio, I don't know what to tell you.

Just to take an example totally at random - I'd consider the shift from Jak & Daxter to Uncharted to be a bigger shift. Of course Naughty Dog was allowed to let Jak go, not forced to make Jak 4 and Jak 5 like they were with Uncharted.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

Can you source your claim about Bungie? It seems they bought themselves out for multiple reasons, not just because they were making Halo.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Maybe they consider trailers comprised of in-game footage to be gameplay, same as all the people saying we saw Horizon Forbidden West gameplay last week. But I doubt that's it. Good luck on your quest to plumb the depths of Microsoft's evil.

For context, and speaking from my day job: When we do a trailer where the footage is captured inside the game, we call it a gameplay trailer (as opposed to CG). Obviously a gameplay trailer is still an entirely different beast from a gameplay demo (as in "a lenghty chunk of uninterupted gameplay"), which is what most people were expecting.

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I really would like to see MS have a show as good or better than the Sony event. They are capable. Just show off why your console is the most powerful. I would love to see fable in that unreal 5 type fidelity.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm honestly sitting here confused what Microsoft from 10+ years ago have to do with today. From the very top to the very bottom they're an entirely different corporation than they were 5 years ago let alone 10. I'm sure if the Coalition came up with a great AAA concept that they were interested in pursuing ms would let them.