• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll start by saying I kinda abhor the existence of YouTube Premium. I hate that its value is largely defined by how much Google/YouTube is willing to cram their free service full of ads, and deny regular users access to functionality that other free apps have as a default (listening to audio while the screen is locked). I had a Red/Premium subscription back when YouTube was actually funding original content like Cobra Kai, and as thin as the offerings were I thought that at least justified the price of a monthly service. But now they have pretty much given up on having exclusive shows, but are still content to charge a monthly fee that rivals Netflix for a content library that is provided to them completely free.

I'm not even one of those people that screams bloody murder about having to watch ads -- I pay for an ad-supported Hulu subscription because at least there the advertising is regular and predictable, and generally short. But with Youtube things are so nasty and erratic. There are 10 minute videos with 3-4 ad breaks.....sometimes you can skip the ads, sometimes you can't. If you're lounging in bed and can't be bothered to get up and hit the SKIP AD button, you may be in for a 3-10 minute infomercial before your regularly scheduled video returns.

On one hand, the YouTube experience is now so bad that it almost makes sense to buy into YouTube Premium. On the other hand, I absolutely despise the idea of caving to Google's desires simply because they choose to saturate all their videos with advertising. This is a wholly different situation than something like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. With those services you can simply resign yourself to the idea that you just won't watch Queen's Gambit, The Boys, or Handmaid's Tale. YouTube is so utterly ubiquitous though that there's no way you can avoid it.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
I use it mostly for offline play for the youtube app and youtube music but no ads is a plus. Pry overcharing just for that but ill take the hit to have downloads and no ads.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It is the last premium service I would cut due to budget reasons. I get so mad when I see people who still have ads on YouTube. But it's also great for listening to live podcasts with my phone asleep in my pocket. And it comes with YT Music, so I don't need a Spotify account.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
I have it on a three month free offer via my Samsung Galaxy phone, not sure it's worth I think £11.99 a month. They used to do their own original content stuff but don't anymore right? I'd probably be able to justify like £5.99 or so, trying to decide myself what to do when my trial is up.

Oct 27, 2017
It's an unholy rip-off for convenient background/offline usage that is also worth every penny I've spent on it for years.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watch enough of Youtube for it to be worth it for me. Haven't seen a Youtube ad in years.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
If I had to cut all my sub service and keep one....youtube premium is the one I keep.

I don't think I can ever go back to regular YouTube.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not joking when I say that I didn't know that YouTube had a paid tier. $12 seems steep.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I watch a ton of YouTube and listen to music on it a lot as well. If that sounds like you then yes it's worth every cent

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easily, it's one of the streaming services I watch the most and simultaneously has the most annoying ad system ever which only seems to get worse. The $11.99 has been tremendously worth it.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanna say I've been in member since college. Trying to learn VHDL and those resistance replacement whatever formulas and having an ad after every 5 minute drove me to insanity.

Haven't looked back. No ads, support creators, plays videos offlines, free stadia and chromecast. I think I got YouTube music or something too.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Have the 15/mo Google Play Music Family Plan pricing locked in.

Never canceling it

Nov 27, 2020
United States
only if you heavily use the mobile app, IMO. on PC you can use ublock origin for the ads, a program for downloads (WinX Youtube Downloader has worked for me), and other, cheaper premium services for music.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I allowed to promote Vanced here? It's an Android app that is basically YouTube Premium but for free.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Hard no.

My post from last time on the subject:
For TVs (AndroidTV, FireOS, or any other Android-based TVOS):
For Android:

Vanced

The official website of Vanced - a Video client for Android (Not affiliated with Google/YouTube).
For iOS/iPadOS:
iosninja.io

Cercube IPA Download for iOS on iPhone/iPad/iPod

Here's the latest Cercube IPA download for iOS. Learn how to install the tweak on your iPhone or iPad with our detailed instructions.

Edit* For PC/macOS uBlock Origin, obviously lol

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got it a couple months ago to save myself from election ads. I've stuck with it since. Knowing that it generally makes my views help creators a little more than they would otherwise makes me feel decent about holding onto it, in addition to the obvious lack of annoying ads.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I put youtube on when I go to sleep so no ads is awesome.

Also I pay for it using Google Surveys so in reality I pay maybe $2 a month.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't cut it, YouTube ads are fucking brutal.
YT Music is a non factor as long as subscribing to an artist on YTM still also subscribes to them on my regular YT feed. What a dumb design choice

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
No ads and being able to play videos in the background on your phone are pretty sweet features imo

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what would be your cut off point price wise? If google increased prices let's say to $20 a month, would youtube premium still be worth it?

For me personally, I'd probably live without it if it went up to $20 a month.

But my wife would probably be cool with paying up to $30 a month with how much Youtube is watched. It's more than most other streaming services combined. In fact I'm thinking of putting a hiatus on Netflix after Cobra Kai Season 3 since it's getting a price hike and The Office is leaving.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
When I go to my girlfriend's place and her YouTube has ads that's when I realize it's totally worth it. I've had premium for just over a year and I'm so used to not having ads it's jarring now.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Find some friends to share a family plan with or maybe some Era members. I do it with my friends and it's absolutely is worth it

Oct 25, 2017
México
To me personally, it's the subscription that offers the most value for the money, because it includes two services:

• YouTube Premium
  • YouTube Music

For the same price as a Spotify or Apple Music subscription, you get those two services. And to be honest, I do like YouTube Music. It has improved a lot (but people in this forum likes to criticize YouTube Music when they have not used it in years).

And if you have a Family Subscription, it offers even way more value for the money, because you not only share the YouTube Premium and YouTube Music, but also all your paid apps.

Tons of value for the money.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You used to get premium content/shows with this. So besides it blocking ads, what else do you get? Not sure it's worth $12 to block ads

edit: oh it includes music as well

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
To me personally, it's the subscription that offers the most value for the money, because it includes two services:

• YouTube Premium
  • YouTube Music

For the same price as a Spotify or Apple Music subscription, you get those two services. And to be honest, I do like YouTube Music. It has improved a lot (but people in this forum likes to criticize YouTube Music when they have not used it in years).

And if you have a Family Subscription, it offers even way more value for the money, because you not only share the YouTube Premium and YouTube Music, but also all your paid apps.

Tons of value for the money.
I tried YouTube music last summer but you couldn't even sort your music. It was awful.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think it's worth it. Background play and no ads are great. I also got a free Chromecast out of it lol

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I personally think it's worth it. O
Background play and no ads are great. I also got a free Chromecast out of it lol

Well, minus the Chromecast this is my reason totally worth it. I've never watched a YouTube original what's even on that? That being said, if your patient unlike me, don't bother.

Oh yeah, I get YouTube music too, I like that. Wish I had known that at the beginning.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
@$12 a month, hell no.. if there was a $3-5 tier with only Youtube Premium then I could be convinced to get on board.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
It is for me because I watch a ton of youtube and the ads are absolutely unbearable to me

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine any Universe where I would pay for this "feature". Completely useless as far as I'm concerned.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I got it both as a replacement for Spotify and to remove ads from Youtube so it's been worth it for me.

Although the change to Youtube Music from Google Play Music is a rough one. Youtube Music absolutely sucks. I find it barely useable and wish I could go back to Google Play music.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I deleted the app from my iPhone and I use YT through Safari with Adguard and I Airplay to my ATV if I want big screen. It's a bit annoying not having access to the native ATV YT app but still far more preferable to me than paying for Premium.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@$12 a month, hell no.. if there was a $3-5 tier with only Youtube Premium then I could be convinced to get on board.
That is kinda where I am at with it. It would be a superb service for $5-8/month, but asking as much as Netflix or Hulu is kinda ridiculous when they aren't even funding content.

I honestly think they would do a lot better at $5/month.....the increase in subscribers would be enough to offset the cheaper monthly price.

Oct 31, 2017
Funny seeing this OP, I was literally just asking myself this question today. Cause yeah the ads on any platform that isn't the PC have become so terribly insufferable in the last 2 years or so that it's got me thinking about it, because of course.

Like you said, it's pretty clear that Google is pushing so many annoying, terrible-for-product-quality ads now that it seems like they are definitely trying to push people to pay for the service.

Honestly, for how much I use it across as many platforms that I do, it probably is worth it.