• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
quoting from the last D-Pad thread from January:

no actual update but I've just tried to read up on the various model numbers and it's a pain in the ass if you're not from NA where all the reddit posts are from.

talking about B and C revisions is meaningless to Europeans since our article (model) number is entirely different and I can't find any back-of-the box pics on google or ebay of EU controllers that have any other ending than B, whereas you have several pics from NA controllers actually showing the B and C numbers.

What my search for pictures brought up is that there is actually no revision for the black ones in Europe. Art Nr: 2510431B is the one and only Black Pro Controller Europe has. Unless this is not actually the equivalent to NA's model number and thus completely irrelevant for determining what's inside. Japan has the table with details on the right side of the box, so naturally it's even harder to find pictures of that -__-

I want to list them all now here, to collect them and cross-reference, if possible:

############################################

Reference: The article number (model number) is the one that matters, the product code simply tells you if it's a black, splatoon 2, xenoblade 2, or smash branded one)

North America:
The number found to the right of the product code in the box above the barcode indicates which revision of the controller is in the box, with A being launch models and C indicating the revisions with updated + control pads equivalent to those that became available with the Xenoblade 2 model.

Black Pro Controller (FSSKA):
Model Number: 104889A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image
Model Number: 104889B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (presumably shipped before rev C w/o any hint at date)
Model Number: 104889C | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (shipped around Dec 2017)
Model Number: 104889D | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-USZ | Barcode: 045496590161 | Box Image (shipped around Q2 2019)

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Model Number: 105692A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-USZ | Barcode: 045496590642 | Box Image

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Model Number: 106820A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-USZ | Barcode: 045496591847 | Box Image

Smash (FSSKE):
Model Number: 108609A | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-USZ | Barcode: 045496594428 | Box Image

Europe:
It is unclear whether the "Art Nr" corresponds to the model number found on the NA units in any way as there are no variants found at all since the Switch and its accessories were first released.

Art Nr: 2510431B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-EUR | Barcode: 045496430528 | Box Image | Release: Launch, March 3 2017

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Art Nr: 2512231B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-EUR | Barcode: 045496430788 | Box Image

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Art Nr: 2512531B | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-EUR | Barcode: 045496430818 | Box Image

Smash Bros Ultimate (FSSKE):
Art Nr: 10000284 | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-EUR | Barcode: 045496430870 | Box Image

Japan:
The JP units do not refer to any other numbers than the product code or the barcode on the box.

Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKA-JPN | Barcode: 4902370535730 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Splatoon 2 (FSSKB):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKB-JPN | Barcode: 4902370536980 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Xenoblade 2 (FSSKD):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKD-JPN | Barcode: 4902370537734 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Smash (FSSKE):
Model Number: ??? | Product Code: HAC-A-FSSKE-JPN | Barcode: 4902370540031 | Box Image (back) + (side)

Notable here is, for one, that there is only one version (going by the Art Nr 2510431B, which is the only number found on any and all black ones since launch) of the Black Pro controller for EU.

The other interesting little nugget is that, looking at the product codes (the ID starting with HAC..), that there is a letter missing. FSSKA through FFSKE should form a straight sequence in release order but there is no pro controller variant released with the product ID FFSKC. What does that mean? Was there a model planned and canceled or held back to tie in with another release? Like a Zelda-themed one meant to coincide with the second DLC pack release but held back for a future release? Or a Fire Emblem themed one planned for the FE Warriors release and held back for Three Houses instead? Or something different? Or just nothing interesting in particular and just some random hiccup in the sequence?

All in all, this was a pain to look up, especially photo proof of the codes on the respective boxes. And we learned nothing of value :D

I guess it might be reasonable to say that there's no good way to play 2D games on this system?
the directional buttons on the joycon are perfect for 2D games.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had issues with my dpad and I have 2 launch pro controllers, I don't know what everyone else's problem is

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I love pressing down and getting left/right coming out. Single piece dpads are stupid.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Pro Controller I bought had ghost inputs on dpad too. I returned it because shoulder buttons were acting up and the new controller I bought got none of the issues. Dpad works fine too.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Mario Maker is frustrating with my pro controller dpad. I'm actually thinking about preordering 8bitdo's sn30 pro+. Only downside seems to be that you can't wake up the switch with it.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Still shit but if you fix it with tape it's perfect. I know you shouldn't have to do this but it's really worth it because otherwise it's such a good controller.
After I applied the fix I can play (and win) Tetris 99 without false inputs.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
It's the best controller I've ever used, providing I never have to touch the D-Pad. The form factor, comfort, weight, response, feature set and battery life are all excellent.

I also would have liked the addition of pressure sensitive or analogue shoulder triggers instead of them being binary, just to help out in racing games etc. but as I understand it there is a lawsuit prevent Nintendo from using this.

I'm in EU and picked up my Pro controller when Splatoon 2 launched, but from what I hear it's a global issue and there haven't been any model or design revisions.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If anyone thinks they don't have the issue, go into settings where it lets you test controller input and press left/right on the dpad very quickly, then post a video here as evidence :)
No issue here and not bothered to post evidence. Play mario maker a ton and i know those who have issue occasionally have mario do random ground pounds.

Jan 31, 2019
I have used the pro controller for countless hours in MM2 and never had any issue with the dpad- I love it. The HD rumble is a nice touch.

Portable mode is a different story. I ordered custom joycons from Etsy.com. For 125$ you get brand new joy cons in a custom color with a fantastic Dpad. I got the white joycons with colored buttons. Would post a pic if I knew how.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm in EU and picked up my Pro controller when Splatoon 2 launched, but from what I hear it's a global issue and there haven't been any model or design revisions.

Still there are changes. The dpad on my launch Pro Controller was unusable in Zelda. Sold it. Then I bought another one in 2018, usable, but very sensitive to diagonals. Bought 2 more Smash Pro Controllers and the dpad is very usable. Since Tetris can be adjusted to only trigger a hard fall when you press up instead of up/right or up/left it works fine. On the same level as a 8BitDo SN30/SN30 Pro (which is also not the best).

The main problem is that rocking from left to right or up and down triggers diagonals. When you don't rock over and press the directions distintively you don't get issues. This is in contrast to how most used their dpads back in the 8/16bit era.

My 8BitDo improved by swopping the dpad with an original Nintendo SNES dpad (the ball where the dpad rests is wider wil a bigger radius which is less sensitive).

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it might be reasonable to say that there's no good way to play 2D games on this system?

If you're into Hori stuff which is usually top tier for 3rd party stuff, such that it's basically second party for Nintendo systems:

There's the Pokken controller
Hori Digital hooked up through the GCN adapter
Hori D-Pad joycon

And I think they make a pro controller replacement, but I don't think it looks that good.

Personally, I stick with the official Pro controller and very very rarely ever have an incorrect input. It DOES happen, and it's a shame for a $70 device from the company that invented and perfected this input decades ago, but it's far from unplayable.

And the rest of the controller is top tier.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have the original Pro Controller.
Splatoon Pro Controller.
Smash Bros Pro Controller.

Can't say I've had any issues with any of them and I've played the likes of Hollow Knight and Bloodstained.

From EU! Ireland.

EDIT: I should note that 90% of my time on Switch is currently with the Smash Bros. Pro Controller.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a PowerA Switch Pro controller as a replacement for my DS4 which it's Dpad crapped out on PC as well as for my Switch. And yeah it's Dpad is shitty as well. I use it on for my Switch but I don't play fighting games on it.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
My pro DPAD randomly registers a left/right input every time I press up, is that the issue everyone's talking about?
I die at least 100 times in Hollow Knight because of this.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I have used the pro controller for countless hours in MM2 and never had any issue with the dpad- I love it. The HD rumble is a nice touch.

Portable mode is a different story. I ordered custom joycons from Etsy.com. For 125$ you get brand new joy cons in a custom color with a fantastic Dpad. I got the white joycons with colored buttons. Would post a pic if I knew how.
imgur.com

Jan 20, 2019
The tape fix does work wonders, ya know! Although having to mod a brand new controller is a shame, especially because the Pro Controller is awesome otherwise...

Apr 9, 2019
Bought one at the beginning of the year - a black one in Europe. I can get through the input test unscathed (although I get some unwanted down or up inputs occasionally during frantic Mario or Tetris moments... So it's still more sensitive then usual.)

8Bitdo feels great. Doesn't have HD Rumble though which is one of my favourite features... And pairing them can be a major hassle.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Is Mario maker 2 one? That's what I've been playing
Not really, no. An unintentional Up/Down input for a split second while you are running left or right isn't going to do much (or that x 90 degrees). It isn't like in Tetris where a block will drop at random while you are trying to maneuver it into position.

Basically, when you are holding down a direction, it is too easy to "rock" the pad back an forth unintentionally to the directions that are perpendicular to the input you are pressing. It has to do with the design of the contacts on the board, the membrane that separates the board and the pad, and the pad itself.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
This is the ideal setup. I just got the Pro Controller and I'm loving it, but I still love the 8Bitdo SF30 Pro for 2D games or as a second controller in multiplayer.

48353229612_bc8175c0d6_h.jpg
This is exactly my configuration except I can't say I've really noticed any issues with the d-pad on the Pro controller. Is it that bad for that many people?

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
The D-Pad needs attention, for sure, but I wish they would add a headphone jack in the next iteration. If they were to do that, I would be happy as a clam. If Nintento fixes the D-Pad and added a headphone jack... whoa boy
Agree with this. The Switch Pro controller is my first choice for Smash though.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump kind of an old thread. I impulse bought a Switch Pro Controller today, then remembered that I kept reading that the D-pad was the worst ever. Anyway I brought it home expecting to either have to return it or resort to opening it and modding the inputs with scotch tape. But actually, the d-pad feels really good to me and seems responsive. And I tested it immediately and heavily, looking for problems. For example:

The Switch's Own Calibration Settings: Every left, right, up, down, diagonal seemed to respond appropriately.
Tetris 99: I remember many complaints about accidental fast drops (caused by the game registering "up" on the d-pad when the player didn't mean to). I played 3 games and didn't have a single issue. Granted, I was playing on the setting that turned the drop sensitivity down. But I'm also rather decent at the game, I scored in the Top 20 in each match where it starts to get hectic and the controller didn't fail me. I think I would have noticed input issues.
Contra Collection (Contra 1 NES): I remember it being a pain emulating this game on PC with whatever controller I came across. Too often I would try to duck but ended up giving a down+right signal which would cause me to run into bullets. Although I died quick in my test, it was all user error, not controller issues.
Ultra Street Fighter II: After a few seconds with Ryu, I was performing fireballs and dragon punches without issue. I even was able to do the Super finishes, which I sometimes struggle to do with my fight stick connected.

So, I dunno if they fixed the issue, or if it was hyperbole in the first place, or if there are some bad ones out there. If there's a date/revison number to share mine, I don't know how to check it. Lemme know and I will. But ultimately I feel very relieved and happy with my purchase so far. And who knows, maybe something like my huge hands make the controller inputs more readable to the system than other people?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, I dunno if they fixed the issue, or if it was hyperbole in the first place, or if there are some bad ones out there. If there's a date/revison number to share mine, I don't know how to check it. Lemme know and I will. But ultimately I feel very relieved and happy with my purchase so far. And who knows, maybe something like my huge hands make the controller inputs more readable to the system than other people?
This has been covered extensively. They haven't fixed anything, really. It was also not hyperbole. The issue just manifests inconsistently and you may end up with a controller that has no issues at all.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had five different Pro Controllers since the Switch release (and three different consoles but that's another story) and I haven't had any d-pad related problems at all. With any of them in Puyo Tetris or anything else.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
What are the Model No. of the gamepads tested?

I heard the latest Switch Pro Controller Model No. is 104889D

Vantage

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got fed up with my launch pro controller enough to open it up and mess around with the tape.
I must've made about 10 adjustments before settling. For my controller I found the better fix was using tape to add height to the pivot point. I did end up with a small piece of tape to also cover a sliver of the up direction contact, but it was mainly the pivot point that helped the most.
It ended up being a compromise between constant unintentional hard drops in Tetris 99 (how it originally worked) and being unable to run diagonally in games like Link to the Past(when I used too much tape). I found it simple to resolve either of these issues, but took a lot of fiddling to have both of them work.
While it is not perfect, it is a massive improvement over how it was, so I'd encourage others that are frustrated to try it out.
How disappointing that Nintendo's premium controller fails in such a fundamental way.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I really feel like someone could make bank on making replacement dpads for the switch pro controller.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think the people who don't have issues likely have different D-Pad techniques. If you're the type of person to do "rolling" motions, you'll get shit inputs. It's almost impossible not to doing this. If you just press directions individually, you'll be fine most of the time.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
With 8bitdo, it really depends on their controller model. Their older models also have d-pad issues.

The ones that I would recommend without caveats are:

M30 - their Saturn/Megadrive styled controller. I love that thing, to the point that I don't really want to go back to a Nintendo style plus pad. Probably the best d-pad I've ever used, never having had a Saturn.

SN30 Pro+ - the one with the handles. (!) They've fixed the problem with input registration, and it's a great Nintendo-Style D-pad.