• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Microsoft has shown time and time again that they don't have any interest in VR content on the Xbox platform. It's disappointing but expected.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I think if MS supports VR, they're going to allow third party headsets to work on Xbox. I doubt they'll go the PSVR route of releasing a proprietary headset as Kinect put them off - they'll just have a framework like SteamVR and release a list of compatible headsets.
But how would these compatible third party headsets connect? Instead of a TV? That is the point of this thread.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't think the technology and price is there for mass market appeal to make it worth the effort to deal with for Microsoft. It'd really be a waste of time till the technology takes a bigger leap while also being really affordable.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
In addition the XBox Series S might be a bit underpowered when trying to output to the same VR devices as the XBox Series X when comparing to games on PSVR and PS5 (PS5DE) and later PSVR2
I do not think Sony needs to upgrade PSVR the first year, but next holiday!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't think the technology and price is there for mass market appeal to make it worth the effort to deal with for Microsoft. It'd really be a waste of time till the technology takes a bigger leap while also being really affordable.
I think we are at this point already.
Oculus Quest 2 for $299 is quite a big deal IMO.
If the PSVR2 is wireless(99% will be) and not too expensive, it will big.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

Technology won't take a bigger leap if no one is driving it forward!

PlayStation is big enough to create a market that is interesting to pursue, and my guess is that Sony might give you support adding/porting to PSVR.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I think we are at this point already.
Oculus Quest 2 for $299 is quite a big deal IMO.
If the PSVR2 is wireless(99% will be) and not too expensive, it will big.

I think it's still far away. $299 for an accessory with a small library of games to take advantage of it is ridiculous for someone like me. Even more so for the mass non-hardcore gamers.

And I haven't tried them all, but I haven't even found the technology super impressive yet either. It still feels clunky for me. I've only briefly tried it though. But overall, I wasn't even remotely impressed enough to spend what's being asked currently.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Technology won't take a bigger leap if no one is driving it forward!

PlayStation is big enough to create a market that is interesting to pursue, and my guess is that Sony might give you support adding/porting to PSVR.

And if Microsoft were to add it, and it's not freaking AMAZING then they get pointed and laughed at and get ridiculed for "Kinect 3." And they back away from it.

If they got into the market it's got to be a BIG leap with a very consumer friendly price tag. Not more of the same that everyone else has going on.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
They'll release an XSX enhanced with all the proper specs to run VR (if VR does take off this coming gen)

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
And if Microsoft were to add it, and it's not freaking AMAZING then they get pointed and laughed at and get ridiculed for "Kinect 3." And they back away from it.

If they got into the market it's got to be a BIG leap with a very consumer friendly price tag. Not more of the same that everyone else has going on.
People don't think of PSVR as a Kinect 3 with it's 2016 HMD and 2010 controllers. People are largely impressed, even if they know it's not something they can use for long periods.

I'm sure they wouldn't go with anything less than what Quest 2 offers, and that's already better than an Index in several areas.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
People don't think of PSVR as a Kinect 3 with it's 2016 HMD and 2010 controllers. People are largely impressed, even if they know it's not something they can use for long periods.

I'm sure they wouldn't go with anything less than what Quest 2 offers, and that's already better than an Index in several areas.

Sony isn't Microsoft tho. Not even trying to turn it into a console war thread(I'm genuinely not), but Microsoft has a tendency to get knocked for things that Sony doesn't get knocked for. Just look at how many Gamepass hot takes we see every single day on here, or how Microsoft gets knocked for acquiring devs and Sony doesn't.

Microsoft would have to absolutely blow everyone away with VR tech or they would just get laughed out of the market because it's not Sony or not a PC.

Really nor trying to start something, so please don't take this as bait or anything. Microsoft just has a different perception out there than everyone else does

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Think its gonna be pretty hard to gather up a big enough audience for next gen consoles to support vr , at least in the next couple years or so

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, Xbox has proprietary wireless tech that they use for their controllers, no? Phil said a while back that he wants VR to be more than an experiment (in gaming) and wireless. He can still wait for both things to happen before committing.

I know this is a diminishing return thing, but MS still has to prove that they can release 1P bangers consistently (critically/aggregated score). Why spread studios thinner to support VR when the attach rate might not be worth the risk? It means that when they get involved, it may be more difficult, but that's assuming MS doesn't have teams supporting PC VR in the meantime with small offshoots and additional modes.

Yeah jumping on VR before fixing that makes little sense. I think VR will come sooner or later.
I have the Quest and used it the first week and it's been collecting dust ever since. It still has ways to go.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
With the specs fully revealed we now know the Series X lacks a USB-C port. This firmly suggests Microsoft has no intention of supporting VR in the next decade or so. They could hack together a solution like Sony with PSVR but it's likely they would use third party headsets instead.
USB confusion strikes again. USB-A can do anything a USB-C connector can do, except power delivery. The bandwidth is there. I don't think the PS5 USB-C port has PD either.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

Microsoft brought the ridicule onto themselves, it looks like they ordered every one of their studios to add a Kinect mode... like Forza Motorsport 4
www.youtube.com

Forza Motorsport 4: Driving with Kinect HD

Bill Giese shows how to drive with Kinect. no Controller needed. Though, it's for the casual players...

The winner game in this list is the only one that looks interesting, but it is nothing that could not be done by any camera like the PS3/PS4 one...
www.youtube.com

My Top 5 Xbox One Kinect Games

My Top 5 Xbox One Kinect GamesEnjoy_____________________________Check Out!!!!Twitter - http://twitter.com/steviet7Facebook - http://facebook.com/steviet7Inst...

If you are playing a driver, holding a steering wheel actually helps.
If you are playing a fighter pilot, holding a HOTAS helps.
Having the visuals and sound that match as you turn your head helps even more and if you haven't tried Moss on PSVR do it - it is 3D platformer and you step into Moss world...
You can and need to move your head to see round corners.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sony isn't Microsoft tho. Not even trying to turn it into a console war thread(I'm genuinely not), but Microsoft has a tendency to get knocked for things that Sony doesn't get knocked for. Just look at how many Gamepass hot takes we see every single day on here, or how Microsoft gets knocked for acquiring devs and Sony doesn't.

Microsoft would have to absolutely blow everyone away with VR tech or they would just get laughed out of the market because it's not Sony or not a PC.

Really nor trying to start something, so please don't take this as bait or anything. Microsoft just has a different perception out there than everyone else does
People can knock them, but what matters is how much ground Microsoft gains against Sony. They have a decent amount of VR developers now.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Maybe. Only way I'd care about VR is if it shipped with every console at launch. Other than that, there's no way it e we piled be supported properly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

But... MS just bought a publisher and people here are mostly positive.

I really doubt VR support would be something bad, especially when their own devs are making VR on PC. It just excludes console only gamers from VR.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It would have been nice if they had made it easier for a 3rd party solution to be compatible with Series X but I'm not too bothered by it personally. I don't really have much interest in it and I'd rather MS Studios focus on traditional games.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
Nvidia dropped support in 3xxx series.

1. Looks like a 2018 "standard" initiated by Nvidia.
  2. Nvidia with their head start quickly releases videoboards with support.
  3. 3rd party Nvidia developers do not like the added cost (inkl. power requirements) with little use - skips them.
  4. AMD is pissed and refuses, as they will be late compared to Nvidia (and 3rd party Nvidia does not use it anyway)...
  5. VR headset developers has long cycles, products release now
  6. Nvidia drops direct support.
Now headset developers will need to make converter boxes...
DisplayPort and USB3.1 gen 2 + power -> USB-C VirtualLink
and here it is already

VirtualLink Interface Adapter

VirtualLink Interface Adapter enables a legacy system to work with a VirtualLink cable by combining DisplayPort 1.4 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 from the legacy system to generate a VirtualLink host port over a Type-C connector.

A box for XBox Series needs a HDMI in and out + but XBox Series only has USB3.1 gen 1 ports...
Edit: USB 3.1 gen 1 seems to be the same as USB 3.2 gen 1, strange that the device maker uses the higher and the host maker use the lower...
I do not think the standard is dead, it just did not make sense to add it to the already power hungry GPU board... but wireless will be better!

Last edited:

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I think it's understandable. Microsoft has had all of its focus on trying to regain ground from last gen by using a very different strategy. They likely don't feel like it would be worth investing a lot of money into a niche segment of gaming like VR while they're so focused on other things.

They just bought Zenimax. Some of the biggest games in VR have been the VR versions of Skyrim and Fallout 4. They should atleast consider it.

Oct 30, 2017
Dead?

What is this new headset using then

Video, USB, and power on one cable with a USB-C connector...

Meta

a proprietary video streaming solution that also works perfectly well with a USB-A connector on the PC side. (source: my PC)

virtualink is a specific USB-C thing and it would've been nice if it took off but it didn't. almost no-one ever got to use it, and the xbox not having a USB-C port has literally nothing to do with its ability to handle VR.

phil spencer essentially saying "we're not doing VR", though, does.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
With the specs fully revealed we now know the Series X lacks a USB-C port. This firmly suggests Microsoft has no intention of supporting VR in the next decade or so. They could hack together a solution like Sony with PSVR but it's likely they would use third party headsets instead.

Yikes. SX lacks a USB-C port? What a stupid decision. Cancelling my pre-order.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil straight up said on one of the giant bomb E3 shows that they weren't interested in VR until it was wireless. The tech still is not there for a fully smooth wireless experience. Give it five years.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

I have great expectations for what Sony will be able to do with the PSVR2. As cloud gaming services grow in popularity, VR will be a great way for consoles differentiate as it will be a while longer before cloud VR work well.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
a proprietary video streaming solution that also works perfectly well with a USB-A connector on the PC side. (source: my PC)

virtualink is a specific USB-C thing and it would've been nice if it took off but it didn't. almost no-one ever got to use it, and the xbox not having a USB-C port has literally nothing to do with its ability to handle VR.

phil spencer essentially saying "we're not doing VR", though, does.
So it's possible for them to do VR with the 3.1 A port on Series X?? (without a terrible box like PSVR1) My dreams aren't dead just yet?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Selfishly I don't want MS studios focusing on VR. I just don't have that much of an interest in VR.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah, Xbox Series X (not to mention S) is just not designed for VR. Basically IO availability or lack there of kills it alongside of lack of WiFi 6. In that regard PS5 is much better.

I just hope that Bethesda continues doing VR versions of their titles. Despite jank, Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR are quite entertaining (with mods, on PC). I didn't even think about that when the acquisition was announced.

SteveByDesign

Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Yes. Phil Spencer said that the audience isn't calling for it.

Which is true, the install base isn't there and to do it correctly the tech is too expensive for most console gamers.

Oct 30, 2017
So it's possible for them to do VR with the 3.1 A port on Series X?? (without a terrible box like PSVR1) My dreams aren't dead just yet?

no reason why they couldn't at least match oculus quest link levels of quality. otherwise though you are probably looking at a breakout box, yeah.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That means 64% i.e. a bigger share of the market, was elsewhere.

Mobile is a huge chunk of that, and unless you're excited for Elder Scrolls Blades VR then you should want devs to be able to develop for over half of the enthusiast market. Bethesda won't be making games for the Quest, they will be trying to justify PC only VR titles when their new owners just don't see the value in supporting the medium.

Yeah it's a bummer, I liked how Bethesda was supporting VR. There aren't a giant amount of AAA devs in that space.

Yeah Bethesda and Ubisoft were the main ones to step up, everyone else mostly does VR minigames attached to their big games or little experiences. Sadly Ubisoft seems to have given up consumer VR, and its frustrating to think that Bethesda could be next.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's still far away. $299 for an accessory with a small library of games to take advantage of it is ridiculous for someone like me. Even more so for the mass non-hardcore gamers.

And I haven't tried them all, but I haven't even found the technology super impressive yet either. It still feels clunky for me. I've only briefly tried it though. But overall, I wasn't even remotely impressed enough to spend what's being asked currently.
except the quest and quest 2 are not accessories. they are full standalone headsets on their own which happen to also support carry output from a pc via wire.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox console? Yeah. Not PC though. Bethesda ditching VR isn't happening unless they want out and maybe it's one of the rare scenarios where other platforms are supported.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Bethesda is for me the most important VR game developer... So this really sucks.
I doubt Bethesda will be ditching VR, only PSVR. Hell, I could see smallish games like the VR DOOM or Cyberpunk games eventually making their way to PS consoles if the market is big enough, considering how they didn't mind Mojang porting MinecraftVR to PSVR.