• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Shining Force 3 Scenario 1
Shining Force 3 Scenario 2
Shining Force 3 Scenario 3

Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Saturn has the two best imo

giphy.gif

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
No.

Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Ratchet And Clank, Shining Force, Sly Cooper and Ninja Gaiden are all of a higher quality.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
It's crazy how many series there are that you could argue for on this one.

You can throw Jak in this too, although some people aren't fans of 2/3. I like all 3.

Does Megaman Legends 1 and 2 + Tron Bonne count?

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas on PS2 and RE0, REmake and RE4 on GameCube wins. I love the original DKC, never played 2 or 3.

Oct 25, 2017
DKC and DKC 3 haven't aged that well honestly other than their soundtracks. DKC 2 is still an amazing classic 2D sidescroller though.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Lots of great examples here.

Another very strong contender would be the Shinobi trilogy on the Mega Drive (Revenge of Shinobi - Shadow Dancer - Shinobi III).

Top 3 action games of Gen 4 IMO.

What I find amazing about this trilogy is the fact that each game is completely unique and plays nothing like its "sequel". You get 3 top-quality games based on 3 distinct gameplay formulas. That's not something you see every day.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not sure if anything has topped the three Final Fantasy games for PS1, in my books. The DKC trilogy is really consistent, but I'd have to like DKC1 and DKC3 as much as I like DKC2 for that trilogy to match up with the aforementioned PS1 Final Fantasy trilogy.

While it's not my favourite, I don't think I've seen the first Mega Man X trilogy mentioned here. That's a good competitor for the DKC trilogy as far as the SNES goes (as is Final Fantasy IV-VI).

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K

Sonic 1 has aged a bit, it's slower and less fun than the other 2, but it's still a solid game.
2 and 3&K reached a peak that Sega simply couldn't reach again on their own.. it took fans to do it for them with Sonic Mania, and even then Mania relies too heavily on nostalgia with the past games (not that it's a bad thing exactly, but that's off topic).

This trilogy was so beloved and impactful that Sega could pretty much coast on that wave for years, despite the huge dip in quality Sonic games suffered immediately after.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I never cared for DKC 2 or 3 and prefer these-

PS1-
Resident Evil 1-3

PS2-
Onimusha 1-3
Fatal Frame 1-3
Silent Hill 2-4

PS3-
Yakuza 3-5

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like this thread backfired, but it's OK because it just turned into a list of awesome trilogies on a single console.

The DKC lineup is indeed excellent. I'd also put the first three FF "trilogies" (NES, SNES and PS1) up there. Though I feel like each trilogy has that "I guess, but only because the other two are so good" entry. You all know the ones I mean... *WW3 commences*

Its a shame no Nintendo system ever got 3 dedicated, exclusive, sequential Zelda titles. I guess you could count Zelda DX and the two Oracle games on GBC?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
NES Mario trilogy absolutely has it beat, at least assuming the international trilogy rather than the Japanese trilogy.

Personally, I'd go with Gears.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
DKC1 is good, 2 is great, 3 is okay. So not really.

I'd go with FF7-9. These 3 games perfectly encapsulated the golden age for Square.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Sonic 1 is a pretty boring game, I'm surprised it's being held up so highly. Compared to like, DKC1, SMB1, etc. it's kinda mediocre.

I replayed the Genesis Trilogy + Sonic Mania this year and came away thinking at least a third of Sonic 1 is junk. 2 and 3K are some of my favorite platformers ever though.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame about DKC3 though. ;-)

More seriously if you take into account the less good DKC3 I'd say Batman Arkham trilogy (Arkham, City and Knight) could be also one of the best trilogy.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the music in the first game but it is rough on the gameplay side (so many caves)

DKC2 is great and a huge improvment. DKC3 is just bland.

I'm going to say no to this question.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Panzer Dragoon series on the Saturn and Resident Evil series on the PS take some beating

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet and Clank ps2 trilogy is also crazy, plus there's Gladiator/Deadlocked, great although not on the same level of the trilogy

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I actually think the first DKC is the weakest one...

Others in the running:

Genesis:
Streets of Rage (1,2,3)
Thunderforce (2, 3, 4)
Sonic (1, 2, 3 ...could even run that to 5 if sega cd counts)

Neo Geo:
Real Bout Fatal Fury (1, special, 2)

Xbox 360:
Gears of War

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
DKC3 is absolutely fantastic though.
Does the music get better? Cuz while I've owned for a long time, I've just started playing it for the first time and I think the music is a major step down from DKC2 (I haven't gotten out of the first world yet). However, I am enjoying the game even if musically it's pretty weak so far.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna go with Bare Knuckle. I wanted to say Streets of Rage, but the third installment is inferior to its JP counterpart.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'm glad someone else thinks so. these were my favourite games growing up. Everything from the music to level design and the graphics were ahead of it's time. They are all perfect in their own way.

I always thought it was a shame that there was no artbook book for this. I don't know if it would ever happen to be honest.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Sonic 1 is a pretty boring game, I'm surprised it's being held up so highly. Compared to like, DKC1, SMB1, etc. it's kinda mediocre.

I replayed the Genesis Trilogy + Sonic Mania this year and came away thinking at least a third of Sonic 1 is junk. 2 and 3K are some of my favorite platformers ever though.
Could we consider 2, 3 and Knuckles a trilogy, then? (Joking)

I played and somewhat enjoyed the three DKC games on its day, but they felt like routine. They were top notch technically, but gameplay wise were nothing remarkable to me. Sonic (or Yoshi's Island by the way) was also top notch technically, and much more rich mechanics wise.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Does the music get better? Cuz while I've owned for a long time, I've just started playing it for the first time and I think the music is a major step down from DKC2 (I haven't gotten out of the first world yet). However, I am enjoying the game even if musically it's pretty weak so far.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard David Wise didnt compose every song on DKC3 as he collaborated with another composer. Maybe thats part of it?

I still think it's pretty good. Although DKC2 has the most perfect soundtrack.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I'm not convinced the second game (when viewed as a whole, and not just the last case) is good enough. It has three kinda awful cases in a row.
i disagree, i think there's only one mediocre case in 2 and overall it's a great game, people look down on it only because the 1st and 3rd games are better. together the 3 games form a great trilogy and all of them contribute to the overall story and the fantastic conclusion.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard David Wise didnt compose every song on DKC3 as he collaborated with another composer. Maybe thats part of it?

I still think it's pretty good. Although DKC2 has the most perfect soundtrack.

David Wise and Eveline Fischer did DKC1, Wise did almost all of DKC2, and Fischer did almost all of DKC3.

I really love pokey pipes and a few other tracks from DKC3.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I personally find all of the Donkey Kong Country games to be more on the 'decent' end than great personally.

Now all three Shining Force III scenarios? I do not think there is a more satisfying trilogy of games period, even counting ones that released on tons of other platforms. Maybe Ace Attorney comes close, but the second game had some seriously low points.