• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo can't exist without supporting non-union VA, does it deserve to exist at all?

... But seriously, this is more common than you'd think. I can understand it when it comes to smaller publishers like Xseed, Atlus or whatever, but Nintendo doesn't really make any sense.

Union / Non-union isn't even really a quality thing. There's lots of tremendously talented voice actors that aren't union.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Yes, and limiting itself from most of the well-known voice actors really hurts the quality of the voice acting in Nintendo's games. That being said, it's nowhere near as pertinent as developers not being unionized.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's why basically no English Nintendo game has good voice acting. So, imo it's more of a stupid choice than an unethical one.

Nov 2, 2017
To be fair, it's understandable that more niche games like Fire Emblem are non-union. But perhaps your argument is that Nintendo does voice acting rare enough to where they should unionize the games that do have voice acting.

Nah, this is entirely about paying people equitable wages for their labor.

If you're going to do voice acting, hire union actors. If you think that paying voice actors what they're worth is too expensive, the correct play is to cut the voice acting, not to try to underpay VAs.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Nintendo's history is on this matter, but I imagine a lot of places went with non-union VAs during (and, as a result, after) that year+ long strike a couple of years back.
Nah, this is entirely about paying people equitable wages for their labor.

If you're going to do voice acting, hire union actors. If you think that paying voice actors what they're worth is too expensive, the correct play is to cut the voice acting, not to try to underpay VAs.

Didn't the strike happen because unionized voice actors collectively thought they were worth more and deserved residuals on top of whatever payments they were receiving for the individual recording jobs (in addition to other issues).

Who gets to desire what they're worth in the end?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Would Smash Bros going union make it hard for them to have non-union actors like Martinet voice Mario?

Smash Bros voice acting situation is really weird, to be honest. The game actually does have quite a few union voice actors mixed in with non-union.

Going union prohibits ANY non-union voice actors. That also includes developers.

Want to do a small voice cameo in your game? Can't do that if it's a union project.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Is it unethical for non-union voice actors to exist? Do all voice actors have an ethical obligation to only work under the terms which others have chosen? Unless you think this is the case, I don't see why you would consider Nintendo's choice to use non-union actors to be unethical.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
I work for a company that almost lost all of the business in the state because of Unions. I have very little sympathies for them.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I

Is it ethical? Depends on your perspective.

From a shareholder perspective it's unethical for Nintendo to NOT do everything they can to save some money and increase shareholder value.

I'm not sure from what perspective or school of thought it would be unethical to not use a union. A union may or may not be good but unions themselves aren't intrinsically good even the majority of them do good for people.

By what standard or philosophy is it unethical?

Getting hung up on definitions and arguing for large corporations is a pretty bad take.

And yes unions are largely good because they empower workers so they can be treated well. I'm not surprised youd make the argument considering you argued on behalf of shareholders.

I work for a company that almost lost all of the business in the state because of Unions. I have very little sympathies for them.

Can you elaborate?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Getting hung up on definitions and arguing for large corporations is a pretty bad take.

And yes unions are largely good because they empower workers so they can be treated well. I'm not surprised youd make the argument considering you argued on behalf of shareholders.

Can you elaborate?
His point is that unions and corporations aren't really ethical actors either way, they just are. Corporations exist to create a return for the people who put forward the funding in return for partial ownership, and unions exist to monopolize a resource and increase the price of that resource to benefit the holders of it. It doesn't really make sense to try to prescribe ethics to those things, it's like asking if it's ethical that a toaster will burn toast if you leave it in too long.

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure what Nintendo's history is on this matter, but I imagine a lot of places went with non-union VAs during (and, as a result, after) that year+ long strike a couple of years back.

There's a term that's used to describe non-union workers who choose to replace workers who are on strike. They're called "scabs".

And I'm not sure how "we just chose to use people we can get away with undervaluing because of labor action caused by us trying to be cheap" is supposed to be a justifiable excuse.

it's also worth mentioning that while I can't find a good set of struck companies lists from earlier in the strike, the one I found last updated 7 months before the end of the strike does not include Nintendo, so that might not be true in the first place.

Didn't the strike happen because unionized voice actors collectively thought they were worth more and deserved residuals on top of whatever payments they were receiving for the individual recording jobs (in addition to other issues).

Who gets to desire what they're worth in the end?

The strike happened for multiple reasons, and that was misinterpreted to be one of the demands. Let me make clear: it should have been a demand. Voice actors, along with every one else doing the labor of producing a game, should get residuals. But, no, their request was bonuses based on sales figures, in 4 increments of $825 at 2/4/6/8 million copies sold, capping out at $3700.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His point is that unions and corporations aren't really ethical actors either way, they just are. Corporations exist to create a return for the people who put forward the funding in return for partial ownership, and unions exist to monopolize a resource and increase the price of that resource to benefit the holders of it. It doesn't really make sense to try to prescribe ethics to those things, it's like asking if it's ethical that a toaster will burn toast if you leave it in too long.

I absolutely disagree with this. Dismissing criticisms of how large corporations treat their employees, and by all accounts Nintendo is better than most, by arguing about whether they can be ethical or not is missing the point. Also I know what the words mean, I don't need a refresher.

Large corporations in 2019 are some of the worst human rights offenders besides governments in my eyes. Acting like unions are anywhere close, or equal as you're trying to do here, is disingenuous. Honestly it's fucking gross. Whether they can be ethical, I swear Billy fucking Madison covered this 20 years ago, may be relevant to this specific thread, but ignores how much damage these companies do on a macro scale. Anyone caping for Nintendo over a union of voice actors should probably reevaluate their priorities.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can you elaborate?
Stating a system of ethics under which a business would be compelled to behave a specific way isn't a take or arguing for large corporations. A question of ethics was asked, not a question of support.

Unions being "largely good" does not make them intrinsically good.

You could actually talk specifics about why one thing is or isn't ethical as the thread asks or you can keep strawmanning it up.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
There's a term that's used to describe non-union workers who choose to replace workers who are on strike. They're called "scabs".
scabs is a strictly derogatory term that's made to paint people who are working during strikes as opportunistic and lesser than workers in unions

when the fact of the matter is most non-union VAs are just simply that, VAs who aren't in the union. they didn't use the strike to snatch up roles from other actors, they were just doing their jobs and trying to put food on their tables like anyone else. it's insulting to people who aren't or can't be in the union to summarize their careers in a way that paints them as inferior to people who are in the union, especially when most of these VAs know each other in real life as friends, family, and coworkers.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I don't think everyone has a clear understanding of how Unions work in the entertainment industry in comparison to other Unions... if you're hiring non-union, it's more about saving money than it is anything else. There are pay differentials between being SAG and not and sometimes they're quite significant. It has nothing to do with Nintendo or anyone seeking "lesser talent" or because they're against workers' rights. Non-Union talent still have to audition just like anyone else.

Do you all think the big names we know today like Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey, Tara Strong, etc. just walked into the SAG office, plopped down $3000 and said "I want to join the Union!". No. They just like everyone else and had to earn their eligibility to join. And joining SAG is a big part of an actors career and not always an easy thing to accomplish. If it was, then everyone would be joining for the better pay and benefits that come with it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I absolutely disagree with this. Dismissing criticisms of how large corporations treat their employees, and by all accounts Nintendo is better than most, by arguing about whether they can be ethical or not is missing the point. Also I know what the words mean, I don't need a refresher.

Large corporations in 2019 are some of the worst human rights offenders besides governments in my eyes. Acting like unions are anywhere close, or equal as you're trying to do here, is disingenuous. Honestly it's fucking gross. Whether they can be ethical, I swear Billy fucking Madison covered this 20 years ago, may be relevant to this specific thread, but ignores how much damage these companies do on a macro scale. Anyone caping for Nintendo over a union of voice actors should probably reevaluate their priorities.
I'm not saying it's okay to mistreat workers by any sense, I'm just don't really see those as being linked at all.

You shouldn't need unions in order to not have terrible work conditions or not fire workers if they're not willing to work 80-hour work weeks. In fact, Nintendo is a great example of a company that does just that, treats the employees with respect (at least by all public accounts we've heard so far) while not being unionized.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stating a system of ethics under which a business would be compelled to behave a specific way isn't a take or arguing for large corporations. A question of ethics was asked, not a question of support.

Unions being "largely good" does not make them intrinsically good.

You could actually talk specifics about why one thing is or isn't ethical as the thread asks or you can keep strawmanning it up.

I never argued for unions being intrinsically good, which seems irrelevant and silly when factoring in your claim of strawmanning.

As far as talking specifics, I don't need to as I was responding to your post which empathized with a corporation and its shareholders which I would argue is plain shitty. Even if it's ethical as you argued it to be.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People really should not underestimate the clusterfuck that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.'s casting turned out to be. NOA reached out for Hollywood talent and it bit them in the ass with the most toxic result possible. One that they could never have foreseen when they did the casting, and one that they couldn't get rid of after the fact, probably because of the union contract.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it's okay to mistreat workers by any sense, I'm just don't really see those as being linked at all.

You shouldn't need unions in order to not have terrible work conditions or not fire workers if they're not willing to work 80-hour work weeks. In fact, Nintendo is a great example of a company that does just that, treats the employees with respect (at least by all public accounts we've heard so far) while not being unionized.

We shouldn't but then for every Nintendo there are tons of companies like Amazon. I feel like you're being naive and almost libertarian here.

People really should not underestimate the clusterfuck that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.'s casting turned out to be. NOA reached out for Hollywood talent and it bit them in the ass with the most toxic result possible. One that they could never have foreseen when they did the casting, and one that they couldn't get rid of after the fact, probably because of the union contract.

I underestimated people's enmity towards unions. Do you have evidence that gives credence to your last sentence?

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
it's a damn shame too. If Baldwin wasn't in that game, i don't think there would have been nearly as much controversy.
it still probably would have sold incredibly poorly, but at least it wouldn't have had a certified Awful Person frontlining it

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well then I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that most of the AAA industry is looking with great interest at advancements in speech synthesis as a way to entirely cut out having to hire voice actors at all in the not-too-distant future. This is coming faster than you think.

Hell if they could press a button and have a game entirely generated automatically for them without any human interaction, they would. Thankfully, that's still much further off...

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Unethical because of what? Are you implying hiring union workers exclusively is ethical? Because it's easy to make the reverse argument.

Wherein we equate "not actively going out of their way to be benevolent" with "unethical."

The amount of driveby tut-tutting in this thread shouldn't be surprising to me, but come on guys.
"Everything I don't like is unethical."

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

What happened? All I know about Codename STEAM is that it bombed.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I feel like you're being naive and almost libertarian here.
Oh the horror, I'd never want to be that.

And as someone who works for a company with tons of both union and non-union employees, in a state that's been both right-to-work and had mandatory unions at different times while I've worked there... they're really not that efficient at doing much beyond propagating their own existence. The best thing for workers would be to governmentally or socially incentivize companies to treat them better from the start, not to force them all into these bureaucratic nightmare monopolies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you only hire union workers you are excluding those trying to break into the industry. Therefore it is unethical.

Interesting. So when Nintendo doesn't consider hiring an inexperienced developer for a position, it's also unethical?

Oh the horror, I'd never want to be that.

And as someone who works for a company with tons of both union and non-union employees, in a state that's been both right-to-work and had mandatory unions at different times while I've worked there... they're really not that efficient at doing much beyond propagating their own existence. The best thing for workers would be to governmentally or socially incentivize companies to treat them better from the start, not to force them all into these bureaucratic nightmare monopolies.

Why are we talking about efficiency and bureaucracy? Now you're just changing the argument.

Also being libertarian is gross, I truly hope you're not.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. So when Nintendo doesn't consider hiring an inexperienced developer for a position, it's also unethical?
Are you really comparing the hiring of a full-time developer employee with the hiring of a voice actor who will only be a part of a specific production for as long as their services voicing their role are required?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you really comparing the hiring of a full-time developer employee with the hiring of a voice actor who will only be a part of a specific production for as long as their services voicing their role are required?

Ah I see you only respond when you feel your position is strong :p. And yes I am. Why is a voice actor intrinsically worth less in your eyes than a developer? I'd also argue that some VA are associated with characters, like a certain Italian plumber, and it isn't as simple as you're making this out to be.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Why are we talking about efficiency and bureaucracy? Now you're just changing the argument.

Yea, by the thread's logic if someone is disqualified from a job for whatever reason it's unethical. I don't agree with it, but you'd have to consider both cases unethical.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I'm saying the ethics in this situation is related to how you treat the workers as individuals, not how big institutions interact. It's unethical to crunch a worker, it's not unethical to not do business with some behemoth bureaucracy. I know hypothetically unions are supposed to be a way to create better conditions, but they're not the only way to do so (and it's not exactly part of my original point, but I also don't think they're even very good at doing so.)

But anyway thanks for the deep insight on an ideology. I love big governments now.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Company is being cheap that's all there is. Also nice to see unions sucks posts here on this side of era. Didnt expect much either way.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think everyone has a clear understanding of how Unions work in the entertainment industry in comparison to other Unions... if you're hiring non-union, it's more about saving money than it is anything else. There are pay differentials between being SAG and not and sometimes they're quite significant. It has nothing to do with Nintendo or anyone seeking "lesser talent" or because they're against workers' rights. Non-Union talent still have to audition just like anyone else.

Do you all think the big names we know today like Troy Baker, Nolan North, Laura Bailey, Tara Strong, etc. just walked into the SAG office, plopped down $3000 and said "I want to join the Union!". No. They just like everyone else and had to earn their eligibility to join. And joining SAG is a big part of an actors career and not always an easy thing to accomplish. If it was, then everyone would be joining for the better pay and benefits that come with it.

Interesting. So you need to be accomplished and have a good record of work before you're admitted into the club, then? Even more reason calling this unethical is insanity.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Interesting. So you need to be accomplished and have a good record of work before you're admitted into the club, then? Even more reason calling this unethical is insanity.

There are a number of ways to become SAG eligible. As someone mentioned earlier this thread, of them to receiving a Taft-Hartley. Which means you received a few lines a in a tv show or movie, which makes you automatically eligible to join SAG. For Background Actors (Extras), you have to receive a minimum of three "golden vouchers" they call them on set to be eligible. That means you were paid Union for those times and thus, are also SAG eligible.

Now for voice acting, I'm not entirely certain how it works. I don't know if you have to work a certain amount of jobs or have a certain amount of dialogue per job or what. I would have to look into that.

As for eligibility, once you've become eligible, you have to pay a $3,100 deposit, choose what you want your SAG name to be (has to be 100% unique), and then you're good to go. Every 6 months there's a $100 Union fee plus 1% of whatever income you earned within that 6 months.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It had two big names, one that coined the term GamerGate and sided with them, and the other who was supremely against GamerGate. And yeah, contracts and all that preventing them from simply ending the deal. And even if they could have ended the deal, by the time they revealed the cast for Code Name Steam, everything was already likely dubbed up to a certain point that simply recasting wouldn't work without a very big delay. The game appealed to no sides out of principal of who was casted on top of people's disinterest with its art style. It was a mess all around.

I actually feel very bad for Paul Patraschu, since Code Name Steam was his directorial debut.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never argued for unions being intrinsically good, which seems irrelevant and silly when factoring in your claim of strawmanning.

As far as talking specifics, I don't need to as I was responding to your post which empathized with a corporation and its shareholders which I would argue is plain shitty. Even if it's ethical as you argued it to be.
OP asked about ethics. There's many different ethical philosophies. Some posit one thing while others posit another. You apparently lack the ability to engage in a conversation about any of them without reducing it to taking sides. An observation of how one system supports a notion is not voicing support for that notion.

And if you agree unions aren't intrinsically good which you imply you agree with in your last post then you also agree that not working with them isn't intrinsically bad. Therefore you agree under some systems of ethics it's not unethical to not work with unions.

Thanks for playing though.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not inherently unethical to not use union actors. There pretty obviously needs to be some sort of actual allegation of mistreatment