• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Okay, story time.

I remember I was around 10 or 12 at the time. A friend of mine owned Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and we would play at his home every week. I would keep asking if I could borrow the game, but he'd never let me (maybe because he didn't have the disc any more—I don't remember).

Anyway, long story short: I created a "paper" version of Mortal Kombat to play with my friends. It was a turn-based game, where each side had a list of 3 moves they could use. Each move was numbered, and you took turns attacking. Each turn, both players would select a move from their list of 4. If you were attacking, and the other player selected a move of the same number as you, they would block and take no damage. If they didn't, you'd do damage.

I was so in love with MK at the time, that I would go to the effort of drawing and doing a cut-out of every single character for us to use. We played this for months at school.

Eventually, a fashion model that my mother used to work with bought Mortal Kombat 4 and was also kind enough to gift me a copy of the game. I was disappointed that it wasn't Mortal Kombat Trilogy, because that supposed to be the penultimate MK game, with like 50 different characters.

Then, I installed MK4.

I'm not kidding when I say my whole perception of what Mortal Kombat could be was shaken to its core. The graphics were the most incredible thing I'd seen at the time. The way the camera swung around and changed angles when you performed certain attacks was amazing. Every match I could, I would pull out a club and swat the opponent with it, just to watch the camera swing around as they hit my monitor screen. And there were bone-breaking moves! And you could side step?! (Yes, I actually loved using that to dodge)

And the characters had all sorts of different costumes now?! This was INCREDIBLE.

And the soundtrack, holy shit. This was the first game where the sound really made an impression on me. So much of the music sounded crystal clear, and still does today. There was this... treble... to all the music, which gave it that extra clarity. I don't know what exactly it is, but even today it sounds incredible to my ears. And all the war-cries and howls made it sound so radically different from MK Trilogy. And there was this sense of... mysticism... to the whole thing, the way MK2 had. This wasn't MK Trilogy, it was BETTER.

And then there were the characters! Quan Chi was the most badass emmer-effer EVER. Shinnok was a joke, yeah, but even Quan Chi's ending reinforced that he was the REAL bad guy. And wait, WHAT? I COULD HAVE SUB-ZERO AND SCORPION WITH OR WITHOUT THEIR MASKS ON? And Reiko puts on Shao Kahn's mask?! And Goro and Noob Saibot are selectable?!

I played MK4 over and over again for YEARS. I'm not even kidding. This was my favourite fighting game for the longest time, and I was EXTREMELY excited after all the different character endings (especially the Sub-Zero / Scorpion / Quan Chi drama) where they would go with the next Mortal Kombat game.

...and then Deadly Alliance happened, and it was 3D like Tekken and everybody looked like a macho piece of overdesigned garbage. And then, MK sucked for the next 10 years.

Fun fact: after I lost touch with MK, I got into the Marvel fighting games. I would play the heck out of Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom at home, but I also created a Marvel version of my dumb paper fighting game to play at school with friends. Good times.

Your paper fighting game sounds awesome!

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
It was shunned and mocked right out of the gate, nobody talked about it or went near it. That was at the tail end of the arcade fighting game era, so it was already a tough sell.

Bad game barely begins to describe it.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i played mk Gold and thought this was a great game. i think there was mk 4 for pc, which was bad. i loved the dc Version for Looking good.
i dont remember much of the Fighting mechanics, as i wasnt into that technical stuff back in the day.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
It is atrocious and still remains one of my gaming guilty pleasures. I've sunk hundreds of hours into it, and every time I can't even rationalize why. I recognize that it isn't very good, but lemme just get... a couple more... rounds in...

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I remember due to Batman and Robin Sub zero had Arnold Schwarzenegger accent. Because he was mr freeze in the movie.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Probably doesn't hold up but I loved it as a kid. Played it in the arcades, had MK4 on N64 and MK Gold on Dreamcast.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Your paper fighting game sounds awesome!

Haha, thanks! It got increasingly complex, too. By the time I was doing a Marvel vs. Capcom version, you could queue up three moves in the right order, and if they all hit, that would allow you to use a "special move" on your next turn. :P

After I typed my post, I went digging around my trunk of old stuff to see if I could find the game. Below are a couple of pics. This is the back cover, which had a pocket for all the character cards.

(Be kind--I was 12 at the time and put way more effort into characters I liked than those I wasn't quite as fond of. :P )

8PEMlIX.jpg

0kPtuW3.jpg

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun game, but what came with after was even better. It's very easy to see flaws on it nowadays, though, but it and SF EX were some of the games that kinda predicted the trend of 3D fighting games on a 2D plane.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I played so much of this on n64, it has a soft spot in my heart for the arcade endings.

Same. I didn't care for the weapons, but I loved the bone breaking, and Quan Chi's fatality remains one of the best in the series. I loved the speed compared to other 3D fighters at the time, too. Nothing felt like MK4. Unlike most other fans, I wasn't wild about MK3 compared to MK2. MK4 felt like a return to form.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I was obsessed with it as a kid (I had the PC version), but it's kind of bad.

The end cinematics for each character were INCREDIBLE though.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I enjoyed it at the time, but in hindsight it wasn't that great. Most of the new characters, like Kai and Jarek, are just whatever characters without very much going for them.

Other Black Dragon characters up to that point was steel-masked Kano, and "whats wrong with your face" Kabal, and Jarek is ... just a guy.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Do I recall the game having a 3DFX logo in some of the attract mode splash screens?

I seem to recall the graphics in MK4 being really "smooth" and antialiased for 1997 and it was one of the reasons that convinced me to get a Voodoo 2 graphics card (with a whopping 8MB of RAM) for my PC... Which gave me GL Quake. So... Thanks MK4.

Oct 31, 2017
Haha, thanks! It got increasingly complex, too. By the time I was doing a Marvel vs. Capcom version, you could queue up three moves in the right order, and if they all hit, that would allow you to use a "special move" on your next turn. :P

After I typed my post, I went digging around my trunk of old stuff to see if I could find the game. Below are a couple of pics. This is the back cover, which had a pocket for all the character cards.

(Be kind--I was 12 at the time and put way more effort into characters I liked than those I wasn't quite as fond of. :P )

8PEMlIX.jpg

0kPtuW3.jpg

That's so cool! Seems like something that could easily translate to a little mobile game (using your own characters, of course).

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It is a terrible game for sure, but I love it. It also was my first PS1 game and it felt like a giant leap over the Genesis games so it blew my young mind and I'll always remember it fondly.

Trilogy though is a terrible game that's just terrible.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I think its great fun. Its a simple , straightforward MK experience without much variety. Eurocom did an amazing job with the N64 port. It was one of the few 3d games that ran at 60 fps on the console.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I need to talk about this game some more.

Something I've always loved about MK4 is how it was the last time both Sub-Zero and Scorpion looked like themselves. Both characters had their looks upgraded for the game, and there were differences in their designs to set them apart, but they still looked very close to the classic versions people remember today.

WIz9tsp.png

There are differences in their gauntlets, belts, masks, and most obviously their tops (with Scorpion's having ridges, while Sub-Zero's is plain) to help make them more unique and different from another. I loved that at the time. The pointy ears in the masks are a nice touch, too. That looked good in-game.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

8PEMlIX.jpg

0kPtuW3.jpg
Holy shit, dude. This looks awesome, I`d totes play this.

Feb 10, 2018
At the time it was amazing playing a 3d mortal kombat on my N64.

But yeah, back then I was easily impressed and pleased.

Nov 8, 2017
I vaguely remember renting it on 64 and liking it but I was a dumbass kid at the time. I don't think it's very well regarded. It certainly looks hideous unlike the first 3 games that still look kind of ok for their age.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
its a weird middle child

Real actor capture to complex mocap was a natural progression but MK4 being fully 3d animated was stilted and goofy by MK standard

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017

Something I've always loved about MK4 is how it was the last time both Sub-Zero and Scorpion looked like themselves. Both characters had their looks upgraded for the game, and there were differences in their designs to set them apart, but they still looked very close to the classic versions people remember today.

WIz9tsp.png

There are differences in their gauntlets, belts, masks, and most obviously their tops (with Scorpion's having ridges, while Sub-Zero's is plain) to help make them more unique and different from another. I loved that at the time. The pointy ears in the masks are a nice touch, too. That looked good in-game.

Yea, I miss the "lean" look the ninjas had. Ever since Deadly Alliance, they've made Scorpion all beefed out.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York

WIz9tsp.png

My only complaint about the MK4 Sub Zero is that he has tiny hands, I mean the look really really tiny. How's he supposed to eat a whopper like that?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
It's fucking awful. Like, even the dregs of the PS2 era exist within the same (very large) ballpark as Soulcalibur or whatever, but MK4 came out more than a year after Virtua Fighter 3 yet it feels and plays like a game that predates VF1. That game is an embarrassment.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I was 9 years old when it came out. I was, like most children, not very discerning about the quality of the games I played and very easy to please.

Even at the time, I thought "this kinda sucks."

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a product of it's time. It demonstrated how the classic 2D gameplay was already out of fashion and wasn't properly adapted to a 3D atmosphere to keep it relevant by that generation. It was worthy to look how MK would transit to 3D but after the effect worns out it gets stale really quick.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I had fun with MK4. The fighting engine would have made for an amazing Power Stone style game. It's probably the easiest MK game to pick up and play, since everyone gets some universal flashy combos.

I really like Midway's early 3D graphics too, so maybe it's part nostalgia.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was hilarious. A gem from an era when Boon didn't take the franchise as a serious fighter. The priorities were completely different back then.

It's also the main reason why why I can't take Shinnok and Quan Chi seriously as menacing threats. mK4 was their debut, and I can never shake off how campy and silly they looked and sounded.

Edit: okay, maybe mythology was the official debut. But that doesn't help the case!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's... not bad. Not good either, but it has a ton of personality I guess. The Game Boy Color version was quite something, though.