• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So spotify recommended me this song called "Punk rock save my life," months ago, I laughed and sent it to a friend who knew I had a folk punk soft spot. I thought it was some bandcamp dude who was able to luck out on spotify algorithms and left it at that. Now knowing that its a dude from NOFX... this is fucking garbage, and I don't care to say it.
Yeah, I really only enjoy the last song, and that's because it's the only one that sounds like a NoFX song

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
First time i listened to the song, the hook got stuck on my mind. its really haunting but for some reason i couldn't get it off my head so i started loving this song and humming along the hook when i listen to it

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about the darkest, but it's definitely one of the worst. Shit sounds like the national anthem of school shooters nationwide.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I would argue it's "In Darkness Let Me Dwell" by 17th century english lutenist/composer John Dowland.

In darkness let me dwell; the ground shall sorrow be,
The roof despair, to bar all cheerful light from me;
The walls of marble black, that moist'ned still shall weep;
My music, hellish jarring sounds, to banish friendly sleep.
Thus, wedded to my woes, and bedded to my tomb,
O let me living die, till death doth do come, till death do come.

Traditional rendition

In a more modern pop style

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Yea when he released this song back in the day is when i first took notice of Joyner. This is probably one of his best imo.
It's really good but shame story tellers like him don't get a lot of attention like these bullshit mumble rappers these days. I appreciate what Eminem tried to do for him with the Lucky you song and praising him any chance he gets.

I can't wait for their song on Joyner's album since he says it's a story telling song

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
What's the problem with Era? Why do so many people here sound like they are in their 50s and only share cat memes on Facebook when they're not posting bizarre takes on this forum?
No, this one song on the best-selling rap album of all time isn't "the darkest song ever written".

I personally am not sure as to what qualifies as "dark". There is certainly something on the level of "I can't just put this song as background music" but I doubt it would be called "dark" by most people. From what I can tell in this thread, most would call "dark" something that explicitly and seriously describes murder, rape, gorey things... In which case I have never heard a "dark" song, although I'm sure many exist.
The "darkest" songs I know that I can think of right now are Common's "Retrospect for Life", where he recounts his decision to have his girlfriend abort:

Death Grips' "On GP", which is about suicide (although as an existential discomfort with the fact of being alive, rather than something that tries to justify itself, unlike Biggie's "Suicidal Thoughts"):

Angelique's verse on 2Pac's "Part Time Mutha" is about parental abuse and rape:

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised no one has brought up Shellac's Prayer to God. Albini could literally be talking about Eminem with that song.

"It was inspired by a casual reflection on the idiom of the murder ballad, and how fucked up it was that we have a tradition of song that is basically dedicated to men murdering women. Then what if there was a guy who was too much of a wimp to actually murder anybody but just as frustrated and entitled."

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no one has brought up Shellac's Prayer to God. Albini could literally be talking about Eminem with that song.

"It was inspired by a casual reflection on the idiom of the murder ballad, and how fucked up it was that we have a tradition of song that is basically dedicated to men murdering women. Then what if there was a guy who was too much of a wimp to actually murder anybody but just as frustrated and entitled."

Love you.