• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
You are spouting platitudes. Frankly it's nonsense.
What do you suggest? Do we only storm the castle and leave no room for values? Do we show that we have concern only for the outcome or do we strive towards the good outcome while sticking within the confines of our values and what is the right thing to do. In the end, which one will make the most difference? Which one will stop the cycle? If power is only challenged by power, then people will believe that people will yield only to power. Sometimes it is necessary, but we forget that doing the right thing sometimes means patience and doing it in the right way.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Save it for the people who aren't harmed by bigots getting treated with fucking kids gloves everytime.

These fuckers have influence over an entire generation of kids, and white nationalism only keeps getting a pass when you tell its victims that it's their responsibility.
I never said it's their responsibility. Clearly the victim is not at fault for the abuse dealt to them. What is our responsibility is to do all we can in our power, which means forgiveness, wisdom, and helping others who are hurt.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
What do you suggest? Do we only storm the castle and leave no room for values? Do we show that we have concern only for the outcome or do we strive towards the good outcome while sticking within the confines of our values and what is the right thing to do. In the end, which one will make the most difference? Which one will stop the cycle? If power is only challenged by power, then people will believe that people will yield only to power. Sometimes it is necessary, but we forget that doing the right thing sometimes means patience and doing it in the right way.

Again, you are coming from a place of fantasy that does not line up with reality.

You are suggesting that we somehow both hold someone accountable to their actions, while simultaneously offering forgiveness WITHOUT the expectation of them doing anything to earn it.

That doesn't mesh with reality. You do not give someone who has shown no genuine action to change their ways forgiveness, ESPECIALLY when it's been done before and we still ended up at the same result. Forgiveness didn't work. Why is it on the people being wronged to just sit there and take it?

I never said it's their responsibility.

But that's what you're implying. Because we are all collectively harmed by these actions. It's just for some it's more direct.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Again, you are coming from a place of fantasy that does not line up with reality.

You are suggesting that we somehow both hold someone accountable to their actions, while simultaneously offering forgiveness WITHOUT the expectation of them doing anything to earn it.

That doesn't mesh with reality. You do not give someone who has shown no genuine action to change their ways forgiveness, ESPECIALLY when it's been done before and we still ended up at the same result. Forgiveness didn't work. Why is it on the people being wronged to just sit there and take it?

But that's what you're implying. Because we are all collectively harmed by these actions. It's just for some it's more direct.
Hey Jesus turned the other cheek and look where it got him!

Oh... crucified on a cross. Right.... and then 2 thousand years later his name was used in the contribution of bigotry...

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Forgiveness doesn't mean sitting there and taking it. You CAN offer forgiveness no matter what. It doesn't mean that you say they're great or support them. It means that you treat them with kindness and not just in light of their mistakes. This can mean pointing out why they're wrong. This goes hand in hand with helping others and warning others. This isn't fantasy. It's what I've witnessed done to me and others, and what I've done to others. It makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference with them, it will affect others and then people can work together to pull up the downtrodden and prevent the hurt from happening again. However, even if it does happen again, people can still be good people.

EDIT: To clarify, forgiveness isn't about changing someone to your desires or needs; it's an attitude within yourself. It is inherently selfless. If you can forgive someone, then you can be the example for change and bringing that about in a good way.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Jack Black meets so many people, it's impossible to research everyone's back story. Jack Black has this channel to hang out with his kids and have fun, a charity stream seems like a great idea, I doubt he gave it a second thought and only knows Pewdiepie as a streamer.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Jack Black meets so many people, it's impossible to research everyone's back story. Jack Black has this channel to hang out with his kids and have fun, a charity stream seems like a great idea, I doubt he gave it a second thought and only knows Pewdiepie as a streamer.
Jack Black doesn't have access to Google or Wikipedia. Got it.

rmanthorp

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
and... milkshake ducked

tbh - sideeyed them when JB did stuff with justin roiland, guess it's time to unsub and move on

Last edited:

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In his video addressing it he said he didn't want to come out and say it straight away after the New Zealand attack because he didn't want to make such a awful event all about him so he thought he'd give it room to breath.

Wow, that is a massive, massive, massive load of complete and utter bullshit coming from him. Who the fuck has ever been accused of making a shooting all about themselves after disavowing the shooter that was a fan of theirs

Anyone who buys that ridiculous excuse is just looking to give him an out.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
For everyone ready to "cancel" a celebrity for collab'ing with PDP or JonTron:

The sad and scary truth is that their controversies are nowhere near as known as their personas. I've brought it up with the kids that work for my company (20-23) and they always look shocked or in complete disbelief when I've mentioned why I don't love PDP.

We have every reason in the world to dislike PDP and especially JonTron, but you're lying to yourself if you think that half the people who have heard of these YouTube personalities are familiar with their nazi-leaning behaviors. I love ResetEra because it's welcoming and doesn't tolerate hateful behavior, but we're still in a bit of an echo chamber. These controversies are not common knowledge.

While I do agree with what you're saying here in terms of our community's willingness to jump on people for not being familiar with the deplorable tendencies of certain gaming YouTubers instead of educating them on what's wrong, I do think that the unfortunate reality is that someone of Black's stature (and even people who aren't as famous) needs to vet collaborators before signing on with them these days, as the alt-right/generally hateful and bigoted views have become an incredibly insidious force, especially in online and gaming culture.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of Jack Black in this case, but I do feel as though if he's a gaming YouTuber now, he should at least have an assistant who looks into this shit for a few minutes before he signs off on something. I mean, PDP's shitty history is right there on his Wikipedia page.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People making this out to be "what should we think of Jack Black now" are missing the point. This kind of stream supports PDP and, at best, is a demonstration of complacency with his bigotry. Doing this is bad. I don't care if Jack REALLY KNOWS or not. Just do your part in saying "hey, this is not okay," it's not hard.

This is about us and how we react to it. Is our forum talking about this going to change anything on a grand scale? Probably not, but why are you bringing that up as if it were ever on the table? Oppressed people are empowered by their communities and I wish everyone here would focus less on themselves and the things that directly affect them and more about how they can do right by others.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Well a lot of shooters have played very violent video games in the past. Look at the Columbine shooters, they were heavily influenced by Doom and constantly compared weapons they had to the in-game weapons. Also to note that both were really into Nazi ideology as well. While violent video games don't normalize bigotry, they do certainly normalize real life violence and influence our pro-gun culture as of today.

Doom did not attempt to justify the Columbine shooters' ambitions. It did not teach them how to use rifles or plant bombs. It did not tell them that their bullies needed violent retribution. Nothing in it suggested that violence should be carried out in the real world. If the students thought otherwise, that was their own ill-made justification.

The christchurch shooter is a different case. "Alt-right" memes, conspiracy theories, and videos inspired him to carry out the murders, since they were intentionally designed to dehumanize marginalized groups. And dehumanization leads to violence.

You're not going to find evidence that ID made the game as an act of stochastic terrorism, because it wasn't designed to normalize real life violence.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
More people should drag PDP into these charity fundraisers. More funds we can take from his shitty base, the better.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
More people should drag PDP into these charity fundraisers. More funds we can take from his shitty base, the better.
Better yet, get Contrapoints and Hbomberguy to do charity streams with him and piss off a chunk of his EWB fanbase.
If he' s constantly surrounded by nazi figureheads, we surround him more.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Even given his bad statements/behavior/fans/everything, PDP is one of the highest engagement channels on YouTube. Involving him in a charity stream, from a visibility standpoint, is hugely beneficial when you're doing that stream on YouTube. Even if I'm disappointed that PDP gets signal boosted by these events, his involvement will likely make this much more successful than without him.

That's why it keeps happening, despite the controversy that surrounds him.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Still, I doubt that he has any idea of what became of Notch after Minecraft.

Haha why are people so quick to give Jack Black "still I doubt he has any idea..." thing? For the Pewdiepie, and now for Notch... next all of a sudden he will collaborate with Jon Tron or something and people would still say "Well I doubt he has any idea who JonTron is..."

Like, it's because you folks like him or something that you gave him so many chances like this?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I can't wait for the next big Charity team up, i imagine the likes of PDP, Richard Spencer , David Duke, Milo Yiannopoulos and i can't wait to come to ResetERA with my hot take defending them because they are doing good things. Because of course, when you do charity, everything is forgiven (or you get a momentary pass at the very least).

Bullshit. Jack Black should know better.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
I can't wait for the next big Charity team up, i imagine the likes of PDP, Richard Spencer , David Duke, Milo Yiannopoulos and i can't wait to come to ResetERA with my hot take defending them because they are doing good things. Because of course, when you do charity, everything is forgiven (or you get a momentary pass at the very least).

Bullshit. Jack Black should know better.

PDP is a nazi-sympathizing scumbag (at best), but he's not even close to the same category as those other names you mentioned.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
And? Should I put bigot sacks of shit into their own subcategory?

I'm just saying that Jack Black teaming up with PDP is not remotely close to him teaming up with those other names. It's a silly comparison and doesn't help your point at all. PewDiePie is a known awful person and very dangerous because of his influence, but he's not Richard Spencer or David Duke. If Jack Black teamed up with one of those guys, the reaction wouldn't be at all similar. Blatant hyperbole does nothing.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm just saying that Jack Black teaming up with PDP is not remotely close to him teaming up with those other names. It's a silly comparison and doesn't help your point at all. PewDiePie is a known awful person and very dangerous because of his influence, but he's not Richard Spencer or David Duke. If Jack Black teamed up with one of those guys, the reaction wouldn't be at all similar. Blatant hyperbole does nothing.

And where did I mentioned Jack Black as part of that all stars team up in my original hypothetical message? The message was intented to the "it's for the charity" crowd. If the shoe fits, be my guest.

I only mentioned JB in saying the he should know better. And he should , since PDP is shit. Hyperbole or not.

If any, I find people like PDP even more harmful that the likes of Spencer or Duke, precisely because of all the things you just mentioned.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Honestly I still remember Prince Harry dressing as a nazi back in 2005 and nobody cancelled the royal family, and the world moved on
He was not only called out on it several times in media, widespread, he also received probably the worst backlash he's received for any event in his early adult years, including statements from political figures and being dressed down by his own family. In addition, he immediately apologized for his costume choice rather than doubling down on it and has VERY CLEARLY demonstrated that he does not align with the Nazi mindset...

How is this a comparison at all? And how does one exactly "cancel" the royal family when you can't even actively support or subscribe to them in some fashion to begin with?...

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize that not everywhere is this forum, right? A lot of people aren't aware of what PDP has said or views he's perpetuated. The general public just generally knows he's a popular streamer who is well liked. I don't hold it against any celebrity or otherwise to collaborate with PDP/promote him/support him in some way because 99% of the time they are genuinely completely ignorant of the stuff this forum is not.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like how people just throw the word Nazi around all too easily. I've had distant family members shot dead by Nazis in Poland and my grandparents had to flee as little children. Comparing PDP to those people like those soldiers or Nazis like Hitler and Aribert Heim isn't a realistic comparison.

If it were not for actual Nazis my family would be a little bigger right now.

Last edited:

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well he did raise at least 1.5 Million from charities for people he would definitely hate as a "nazi" and is now actively working against hate speech. I don't think he will ever gain Era's forgiveness.

Yeah...He did some bad, but also some good stuff.

Gonna watch the stream during lunch break. I've heard a lot of good things about his Minecraft videos from coworkers, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I mean living in germany it's baffling to see what you guys think nazis are, it's actually pretty disturbing.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I don't like how people just throw the word Nazi around all too easily. I've had distant family members shot dead by Nazis in Poland and my grandparents had to flee as little children. Comparing PDP to those people like those soldiers or Nazis like Hitler and Aribert Heim isn't a realistic comparison.

If it were not for actual Nazis my family would be a little bigger right now.

Tell me about it. My brain hurts reading these forums sometimes.

I read the thread title and think "I really shouldn't go into this thread and read ACTUAL peoples opinions on this topic" and then I do it anyway and I despair. Sometimes I don't think I should post here because too many opinions and posts sit beyond the realms of day to day realism and instead sit within the confines of internet outrage culture. The whole Etika thread where people lost all common decency for the common man was another for me. Just an angry internet mob... I mean for god's sake... its Jack Black! The man appears to be a modern day saint; and we have this thread full of people angry at him and boycotting his channel.

Sorry about your family by the way. I'm lucky in that my family was largely unaffected by WWII aside from the draft.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Haha why are people so quick to give Jack Black "still I doubt he has any idea..." thing? For the Pewdiepie, and now for Notch... next all of a sudden he will collaborate with Jon Tron or something and people would still say "Well I doubt he has any idea who JonTron is..."

Like, it's because you folks like him or something that you gave him so many chances like this?
Yes, I forgive him because I like him, and still I like him because I think he's just doing this for his kids, and don't really know about any controversy surrounding these guys. Hopefully someone enlightens him about this, but if it continues there will obviously be a problem.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me about it. My brain hurts reading these forums sometimes.

I read the thread title and think "I really shouldn't go into this thread and read ACTUAL peoples opinions on this topic" and then I do it anyway and I despair. Sometimes I don't think I should post here because too many opinions and posts sit beyond the realms of day to day realism and instead sit within the confines of internet outrage culture. The whole Etika thread where people lost all common decency for the common man was another for me. Just an angry internet mob... I mean for god's sake... its Jack Black! The man appears to be a modern day saint; and we have this thread full of people angry at him and boycotting his channel.

Sorry about your family by the way. I'm lucky in that my family was largely unaffected by WWII aside from the draft.
It is the internet, nothing can happen without anger and hate. Its pathetic.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
lmfao "Pewdiepie has created a cult of personality that has more or less gotten people killed "

That reach though

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yes, I forgive him because I like him, and still I like him because I think he's just doing this for his kids, and don't really know about any controversy surrounding these guys. Hopefully someone enlightens him about this, but if it continues there will obviously be a problem.

I mean, if it's someone like Dunkey I can understand that Jack doesn't know, but PewDiePie is a whole different matter/level since his various shenanigans have entered mainstream media... not to mention the fact that the Christchurch shooter mentioning his name is something that is widely reported by numerous mainstream media organizations too.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I mean, if it's someone like Dunkey I can understand that Jack doesn't know, but PewDiePie is a whole different matter/level since his various shenanigans have entered mainstream media... not to mention the fact that the Christchurch shooter mentioning his name is something that is widely reported by numerous mainstream media organizations too.
I get your point. I'll consider it strike one and see what happens.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah was disappointed reading that. I was hoping Jack black would be the "chosen one" and maybe raise the standards of how some youtubers should act and etc., considering he's someone who acts well in public a lot and would think he knows how to represent himself and etc.
I could give him the benefit of the doubt and think he doesn't know about PDP, all we can really do is say this is what he's done and not done and see what he does, (Which isn't really guaranteed if he doesn't read stuff).
Almost getting vibes to the THQ and 8chan thing, though nowhere near as bad in that case, I can just see the crash coming and it's still rolling towards it, I can imagine the chat mentioning PDP stuff, or PDP followers saying shit on the stream and Jack black has to be associated with that ha.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently not, as the forgiveness brigade seems to already be out that forgot all about the nasty origins of pdp.

It's perfectly fine to recognize the usefulness of charity work while remembering the misdeeds of those doing it. Not instantly being 100% universally against this happening doesn't make you a Nazi sympathizer or whatever the reach of the week is.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
D19-H7IW0AsE4hy

Stefan Molyneux: Supporter of "Men's Rights" and "Race Realism" AKA Racists use history to justify their racism
Lauren Southern: Racist views on immigration and believes in "White Genocide" by minorities immigrating.
Brittany Pettibone: Pushes alt right conspiracy theories like Pizzagate and has general white nationalist views
Paul Jospeh Watson: Conspiracy theorist who aligned himself with British far right party UKIP and pushes false narratives for racist means
Ben Shapiro: Promotes racist rhetorics on top of homophobia and transphobia
Jordan Peterson: Sexist views where he openly advocates that women should be controlled by men.
All of these twitter accounts were unfollowed by Pewdiepie after the New Zealand shooting.
And as an added bonus, Pewdiepie openly promoted a youtube channel that pushed anti semetic conspiracy theories before.

But let's keep defending poor racial slur spewing, anti semetic joke making, alt right aligning Pewdiepie because a few forum posters said nasty things about him. Can't wait until next month when Notch donates to charity and we get a thread filled with people patting him on the back and feeling sorry for him getting his credit removed from Minecraft because he had "a different opinion"

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see all the untainted saints are flocking this thread with their perfect selves of pureness.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Bigotry; History of Similar Behavior Including a Prior Severe Ban Excusing Racism
D19-H7IW0AsE4hy

Stefan Molyneux: Supporter of "Men's Rights" and "Race Realism" AKA Racists use history to justify their racism
Lauren Southern: Racist views on immigration and believes in "White Genocide" by minorities immigrating.
Brittany Pettibone: Pushes alt right conspiracy theories like Pizzagate and has general white nationalist views
Paul Jospeh Watson: Conspiracy theorist who aligned himself with British far right party UKIP and pushes false narratives for racist means
Ben Shapiro: Promotes racist rhetorics on top of homophobia and transphobia
Jordan Peterson: Sexist views where he openly advocates that women should be controlled by men.
All of these twitter accounts were unfollowed by Pewdiepie after the New Zealand shooting.
And as an added bonus, Pewdiepie openly promoted a youtube channel that pushed anti semetic conspiracy theories before.

But let's keep defending poor racial slur spewing, anti semetic joke making, alt right aligning Pewdiepie because a few forum posters said nasty things about him. Can't wait until next month when Notch donates to charity and we get a thread filled with people patting him on the back and feeling sorry for him getting his credit removed from Minecraft because he had "a different opinion"

Have you donated 1.5 Million to help those who you defend so vigorously? What exactly have YOU done other than highlighting solely the mistakes of Pewdiepie and a handful of people he follows to help the people you want to help?

If he did not care he wouldn't have to do those charities, there would have been other ways to keep his subscribers.

When I go to his Youtube now I can see a lot of things that he tries in order to fix the mistakes he made yet all some people do here is create a nazi out of someone who is clearly not one. It's inexcusable that you people are using these kind of words for your own headcannon.

This purist (elitist?) mentality some people on this site are having and the way they stamp everyone who disagrees with them as either a nazi or some stupid troll, THAT is creating most of the hate you try to combat so much.

You create what you hate

I suppose I'm going to be banned now like all those other times for having the wrong opinion? Way to go to keep discussion open and fair!

Let me end on the note that I DO NOT like Pewdiepie but I cannot accept the way most of the conversation seems to be going, this IS NOT ok.

Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly fine to recognize the usefulness of charity work while remembering the misdeeds of those doing it. Not instantly being 100% universally against this happening doesn't make you a Nazi sympathizer or whatever the reach of the week is.
Nah, you know how ERA is. It's either the deepest inky black, or the brightest eye-burning white. Nothing in between, choose your side and fight against the other.