• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Asking deep story on a full coop game.

Hilarious

hey couch partner wait 5 min of a intense dialogue stay focus!

Yeah im going to pee you want a beer?

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Played on ps4 so all the humans had a weird light bloom halo that always looked awful killed whatever mood they were trying to set and the little girls adult troll little girl voice is creepy as hell.

Great game

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Story is not great but I wouldn't say it's terrible. The gameplay is one of the most fun I've played in years, with great controls and setpieces.

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I think the game is poorly paced and while I agree the game have great mechanics I did feel that sometimes is just... boring.
It's a really well crafted game, but I don't think it's brilliant or exciting.
I prefer game that really shines in one aspect even if there are some rough edges.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno

The elephant scene was some of the funniest dark comedy I've seen in a game.

The fact it concludes with May and Cody literally bathing in their child's tears.

But I don't think you are supposed to be going into this game expecting high end storytelling, but rather one of the best co op games ever

Jan 19, 2022
It's a really fun game. I think it could have been like two hours shorter.
I did enjoy yelling at my brother imitating May's voice.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I was concerned going into this game about misogynistic bickering as seen in some heteronormative mainstream comedy, and how it approaches divorce on a surface level is suspect, but I think it landed without being offensive, even if was overly "wholesome" for my tastes approaching the theme of divorce. But the game has so many cartoonish genre trappings, jumping from outlandish vignette to vignette both in ambience and gameplay, I feel like that's the focus of the writing just as much as the interpersonal drama..?

Looking at the list of GotY consensuses, It Takes Two is by far what most appeals to my tastes as a fan of cartoony 3D-platformers. I have more beef with the video game writing that been acclaimed trying to emulate prestige television and blockbuster flicks as having uninteresting video game writing, us often left discussing cutscenes. I like cinematic games too! I just think it's a shame to single out It Takes Two for being lesser when it got mainstream acknowledgement while having such different priorities in writing that I feel weave into the medium more meaningfully that I think are worth championing. The writing in It Takes Two, I'm rarely talking about noninteractive elements, rather than how the imaginatively written scene a couple plays in inform its asymmetrical co-op play.

I'm a bad person for finding the dark humor and interactivity of the elephant scene amusing. That's for sure. It's quite the test with a partner. I don't think I came out looking too good to my SO. Nope.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He can be very good at the formal aspects of the craft while still delivering subpar content though. In my original comparison I said he was in a bit of a similar position to Kojima, and I think that's still valid. Kojima is a master of cinematography, no one else like him in the gaming industry for sure, and yet he still fills his games with completely ridiculous plot and dialogue. It Takes Two felt similar to me, where the scenes are well-crafted but it's a fundamentally insulting plot that equates divorce with failure, my partner and I winced when we saw it coming at the very beginning of the game and our fears proved to be true. Then, there are the overindulgences like the book - did the book really need to behave like that? Did it need to be a stand-in for Josef Fares, personality and all? It's odd.
The game doesn't equate divorce with failure. And frankly I find the book to be hilarious if only because yes it's Josef Fares hamming it up in a mocap suit.

And that is fundamentally hilarious to me.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Botw would be the worst written one in there. Games are games so gameplay matters most which is why it takes two won.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why everyone gets so sensitive about this game and divorce. Like how many games are just murder simulator 10000.

It's also not antidivorce and its not the story many reviewers seem to think it is which makes me believe they didn't even finish the game because it is 100% not a lets get back together game.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why everyone gets so sensitive about this game and divorce. Like how many games are just murder simulator 10000.

It's also not antidivorce and its not the story many reviewers seem to think it is which makes me believe they didn't even finish the game because it is 100% not a lets get back together game.

My fiancée and I are only about a 3rd of the way through the game, but had I to guess: players are typically much more willing to let matters of theme slide when the characters they play as are likeable. The protagonists of this game have almost no redeeming qualities, so how this game frames divorce through its lens of selfish jerkbags likely makes its themes an easier target for criticism.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
My fiancée and I are only about a 3rd of the way through the game, but had I to guess: players are typically much more willing to let matters of theme slide when the characters they play as are likeable. The protagonists of this game have almost no redeeming qualities, so how this game frames divorce through its lens of selfish jerkbags likely makes its themes an easier target for criticism.

It's just uneven and lazy then cool. I think one too many people look at this through the eyes of the child and not the parents based on the overreaction to this game.

Yeah they're unlikeable, to an extent. People are messy and complicated and can even be cruel to one another and themselves., This game explores that and makes these two confront their own demons throughout the story, but because it wasn't wholesome like the visuals can be people were big mad that the parents were kind off shitty.

Apr 2, 2021
The story would have been improved if instead of seeing Rose writing her note saying she was going to run away they instead saw her making a bomb.

It would have up the stakes and made it a race against a clock and fit with the game's humor if Rose was a potential serial killer.

Apr 2, 2021
At least Death Stranding has a hopeful and important message at its core.

What was It Takes Two even trying to say?
umm that even when we spend so much time with someone we can still lose touch with them by if we don't communicate with them.

I didn't like this game's storytelling either but even with the weirdly racist seeming book and stereotypical oaf man with nag woman I think some themes do shine through, and they're themes not typically approached in games which I guess i should give it some credit for? Death Stranding rocks though.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
It's just uneven and lazy then cool. I think one too many people look at this through the eyes of the child and not the parents based on the overreaction to this game.

Yeah they're unlikeable, to an extent. People are messy and complicated and can even be cruel to one another and themselves., This game explores that and makes these two confront their own demons throughout the story, but because it wasn't wholesome like the visuals can be people were big mad that the parents were kind off shitty.

I personally dunno if I see it through the eyes of the kiddo so much as through the eyes of a parent myself.

And to me at least, it's not just the shittiness - they are actively unfun to listen to. I dislike most in-game banter in video games unless it's either very infrequent or exceptionally well written (GotG did a good job with the latter recently). But not only having said banter, but it mostly being 2 lousy people constantly fighting with one another? No one wants to listen to another couple bicker when they're trying to have fun. I genuinely think that if the game had no cutscenes at all, my partner and I would have finished it months ago. The gameplay is more than good enough to speak for itself. But when the "reward" for completing a section is another bickering cutscene with the two dingbats and the most annoying book since Altus Shrugged, it…disincentivizes you.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I like Death Stranding, and I think it is very unique, but if that is an option then it is definitely the worst written game of the year. Without question.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
As a Switch owner, I will watch all those scenes on youtube to check what the fuzz is all about.
Remember in TGA this thing got the "best family game" award. It better be good.

Last edited:

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
It is so far from the worst that I can't fathom your claim that it is.
I have played atleast half in that list in op. It is the worst among them not the worst out there. There's badly written and there's who tf cares about the story written. For me botw fell on the latter which itself means badly written. Have you played the others?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I have played atleast half in that list in op. It is the worst among them not the worst out there. There's badly written and there's who tf cares about the story written. For me botw fell on the latter which itself means badly written. Have you played the others?
Some of them, yes.

That being said, I found Inquisition so dull I threw the disc in a body of water.

Breath of the Wild has a limited amount of dialogue compared to other games on that list, but it still tells the story it does effectively and with character. I enjoy the characters and setting, and the odd interactions you can have.

It Takes Two is just a terrible story about terrible people.

Oct 12, 2020
It does to me. And seems like it does not to you. That's what opinions are which this thread is asking for. Reviews are also opinions and that's how it has worked in films and books and art.
The difference between a review and just stating an opinion is that a review makes a big effort to explain its point to the audience. Not just simply presenting its conclusion.
So if you want to make such a bold claim about BotW, that you should properly explain yourself. Otherwise it is just a personal opinion, which is meaningless and incomprehensible for others

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's way better than their previous co-op game, so I'll give them points for trying to improve unlike QD that consistently repeats the same writing mistakes.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely is a 'shut the fuck up already and let us play' type of game. Me and my GF hate skipping cutscenes when we see something for the first time so we didn't even check if that's an option, but if it is then we are definitely skipping everything on our replay, if it ever happens.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
The difference between a review and just stating an opinion is that a review makes a big effort to explain its point to the audience. Not just simply presenting its conclusion.
So if you want to make such a bold claim about BotW, that you should properly explain yourself. Otherwise it is just a personal opinion, which is meaningless and incomprehensible for others
Reviews are paid. I have no intention of wasting hours of my time to write paragraphs on it. It's a personal opinion which is as meaningless and incomprehensible as yours here. You are right there.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I thought it was really fun and that elephant scene was hilarious. I don't really understand people's problem with it. It's not like the most well written game in the world but certainly better than Oblivion and Fallout 3 in that list

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Fallout 3 had a radiation-immune guy tell you you had to go get radiation poisoned and die because of Reasons, so... probably not.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
At least Death Stranding has a hopeful and important message at its core.

What was It Takes Two even trying to say?
Seriously?

Communicate with your spouse. Make an effort. If that still doesn't work, you don't have to stay together, but at least don't ignore your kid, and put your kid's needs before your own selfish desires.

Like, the game is pretty damn straightforward about its messaging. How can anyone miss it?

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously?

Communicate with your spouse. Make an effort. If that still doesn't work, you don't have to stay together, but at least don't ignore your kid, and your your kid's needs before your own selfish desires.

Like, the game is pretty damn straightforward about its messaging. How can anyone miss it?

I concluded that some people must've fell asleep during the final scene where they talk to their kid

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Still was hoping PS2 was going to get it, ITT was good gameplay wise, but still fell a bit short to me story wise

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It Takes Two has some writing flaws, most notable to me was the plotting which turns into a basic fetch quest in the second half. But the banter is decent, there's tons of memorable one-off characters, and the Cutie sequence was moment of the year easy. My coop partner and I were laughing so hard that we were literally gasping for air.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Was FFX ever a game of the year under this criteria? Cause that was terribly written.

Game of the Year awards weren't as big of a thing back then so it's hard to determine a consensus. If they did I think this would have been GTA3, Halo CE, or MGS2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was actually the best reviewed game of that year according to Metacritic.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed the game, the sections were imaginative and fun.

I think they missed it on the ending and it would be better if they didn't imply the couple were going to stay together with the kiss moment but that's just my opinion, the game really didn't do anything that convinced me they were that good a couple, thinking it would of been a stronger ending if they confirmed they were definitely getting divorced but still doing the whole being there for their kid thing.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, my wife and I were cracking up at the elephant scene. So, I guess I disagree.