• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Yeah unless I'm mistaken Nintendo handhelds never had nearly as many WRPGs as the Switch does. Not to mention CRPGs which basically weren't even a thing on consoles until this gen.

It's not just JRPGs.
Yeah this is also true, if you considered this then the difference is huge. Even consoles like PS2 didn't have many of them. It was Xbox that brought wrpg/crpg to the console space.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
meh I just don't think the Switch is up there yet. could it get there? yes but it's not there yet and I read what you said
I previously said it's better than any handheld and any home console except the 4/5 you mentioned. Sounds like you basically agree so either you didn't read correctly or else any positivity regarding Nintendo must rub you the wrong way.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It definitely has a really good selection of RPGs, but no, I think PlayStation still holds that title. There are a lot of RPGs that just aren't on the Switch that are available on PS4.

EDIT: Missed the "Of all time" part. That's definitely a "no" then. The PS1, PS2, and even the Vita have way more RPGs than the Switch. SNES, DS, 3DS, and PSP also.

Oh, I did want to add that I love that it's getting more western developed RPG support. Being able to take those games on the go is a great bonus. Though I have yet to want to double dip, since most of them I own already, and some I'd rather play on the big screen. Even so, it's pretty awesome to have something like The Witcher 3 portable.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If you're in the demographic for what it's offering (not necessarily all of the latest and greatest but certainly still good-great games, a portability hook, and a handful of good Nintendo-only stuff) I can see why it's turning out great. If you're not, such as if you've bought and played a lot of the games already, then you may think it still has a lot of ground to cover as far as establishing a more unique identity in its lineup (and it still has 3-5 years to do that). Both positions have valid reasoning to me as a response to the question in the title.

Personally I think the "greatest of all time" RPG platforms had a "special factor" in that a lot of new and unique games are produced, especially if you dig around for games from around the world and not just what released in America, in addition to the stuff everyone knows about. I wouldn't say the Switch is particularly close to that (or the PS4). Sequels, ports, and remakes for tried-and-true IPs and individual games is great, but I think the platforms with the best claim at being one of the "greatest of all time" are those where you can claim that they have that and much, much more. There are platforms where you could cut out all the "well known" games/franchises, all the ports, and all the remakes, and even after that still have a absurdly long list of interesting and fun RPGs to discover and play. Not that I think the Switch or PS4 are bad for RPGs, just that they're far from the first platforms that come to mind for me for such a question. It's not as if they have to be one of the best or else they're not good at all, lol.

As others have said though we're probably a long way from being able to repeat that stretch of the 80s/90s/early 2000s where productivity, creativity, and quality managed to all be at a fairly high level at the same time and lots of publishers and developers were trying to make their own RPG.
Yeah. To me an equivalently ridiculous statement would be 'the 2010s is one of the best decades for Westerns'.

... Like, we've had some surprisingly strong ones, sure. But they used to make 20x more of these. Just because you're unaware of all of the amazing ones back from when the genre was huge doesn't mean they don't exist and dwarf what we have now.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best to play JRPG's on maybe but there aren't a whole lot of exclusives appealing to me on the thing.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Nope not even with "'one of". Ps1, Ps2, Snes, PSP are all better rpg consoles
The Witcher 3 alone is probably better than every single rpg on those systems.

Many people here are not really paying attention to how many rpgs has been released or are coming to Switch.

PlayStation still holds that title. There are a lot of RPGs that just aren't on the Switch that are available on PS4

And what about the rpgs that are available on Switch but not PS4? They don't count?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It certainly has a lot of variety. It's a great system for people who value portability and/or haven't played most of its library elsewhere. It also has some great exclusives.

Probably not GOAT status, but it's definitely no slouch.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We have what, about ~60 or so RPGs released on the Switch including a ton of ports (like, Kemco mobile games and stuff ($5 titles))? There are over 250 on the PS1, most of them just for that system.

Last edited:

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen, Microsoft will be very big on WRPGs (InXile, Obsidian, Playground Games). Switch will offer a lot of stuff from WRPGs and JRPGs, with some exclusive JRPGs and more choice for JRPGs than Xbox One while probably less choice for WRPGs from thirds. PS4 will have full Japanese support and western thirds for WRPGs, but less WRPG exclusives compared to Xbox One as these tend to be multi-plat.

I can agree, to a degree. PS4 won't have the exclusive Switch JRPGs and i think there will be more on the way as the Switchbase grows. Obviously PS4 has exclusives too and even more at this point. It will be interesting how the next 3-4 years turn out with the Release of PS5 that could have a bit of a hard time, expecially in Japan.

PS4 has tons of JRPGs too...

Yes. Switch and PS4 ist the best combo for me atm because of that reason. Imo Switch and PS4 aren't there yet when it comes to to the best jrpg consoles, in a few years perhaps.

The Switch has a solid RPG lineup so far but I don't think it is even in the conversation for greatest ever yet.

I agree, not yet. It needs more exclusive and new RPGs of high quality for that. I wouldn't want to miss it though.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Bar none, it is. It has like 95% of Japanese RPG developer support on board, and a good chunk of Western RPG ones. It doesn't need them ALL to be the best, but it has the major ones, and persona isn't needed.

If anything I feel like switch is over saturated with RPG games. In terms of games per genre, RPG is probably in the top 3.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
We have what, about ~60 or so RPGs released on the Switch including a ton of ports (like, Kemco mobile games and stuff ($5 titles))? There are over 250 on the PS1, most of them just for that system.

Just now, I opened the "RPG" section in eShop and I started counting, I counted more than 320 RPGs already released on the system. yes many of them are low-effort games, or games that not necessarily rpgs in the first place. still, the notable ones form a huge list. there are a lot of indie rpgs on Switch too that I forget they even exist, like Golf Story and the Banner Saga Trilogy and Vaporum and Fell Seal, and many others. this is also not taking into consideration many rpgs that will release for the system this year (the crpg remasters, TW3, Outer Worlds). and the system still has a long way to go!

PSX is legendary though, no doubt about that, it was the peak for Square Soft which alone makes it a mountain that is very hard to surpass. however, I didn't say Switch is the best rpg system, but it is becoming one of the best for sure, at least in my view.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you if we're taking ports. Games made specifically for the console not so much in my humble opinion.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I don't think it's that great of a machine for rpgs. It's just a port really and the big JRPGs it got like xenoblade 2 and octopath were kinda disappointing games imo

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I previously said it's better than any handheld and any home console except the 4/5 you mentioned. Sounds like you basically agree so either you didn't read correctly or else any positivity regarding Nintendo must rub you the wrong way.
No but overexagerration does which is what this whole topic is.

Many people here are not really paying attention to how many rpgs has been released or are coming to Switch.

And what about the rpgs that are available on Switch but not PS4? They don't count?
yeah no the Witcher 3 is not better than a huge amount of ps1 and ps2 rpgs.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Has a Mana collection without Legend of Mana.

Can't take the crown.

But it does have Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for a system to have a great library, it should have every single game out there? who said that? they are making up for the stuff they don't have with their own games. they don't have FFXV but they have Pokemon, they don't have Persona 5 but they have Fire Emblem Three Houses, they don't have NieR Automata (not now, at least) but they have Astral Chain. they don't have Tales of Arise but they have Xenoblade Chronicles series.

It is not realistic to expect every single game in existence to be on every platform, especially as many of them have or may have exclusivity deals or other circumstances.

However and answering your question: The upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V, The World Ends With You, Little Town Hero, Yokai Watch 4, Grandia Hd Collection, Rune Factory 4 and 5, Octopath Traveler, Mary Skelter 2 (in the west), and The Snack World are some of the games that are not or won't be on PS4.

Both devices have far more games than you are mentioning too, JRPGs were not presented this heavily on a console since the PS2.

All the games mentioned were third party, and yes to be a great system you need a great first party and third party as well, there is a huge set of third party games which are missing

and your upcoming game list have half which are released, half which are ports from older system

You seriously comparing them to the games I have mentioned ?

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
As someone who very rarely double-dips, a console that's almost entirely focused on ports of games I already played isn't really what I would call "the greatest RPG console of all time", no.

Of course, I just don't care at all about the portability factor, so for me the Switch is just a mediocre (technologically) mid-range console that's primarily notable for being the only place where you can play Nintendo's games.
Well said— this is 100% my take as well.

The only port I'm sore about is having already played DQXI on PS4, but I should have waited to play the super deluxe Switch version.

Oct 28, 2017
Well said— this is 100% my take as well.

The only port I'm sore about is having already played DQXI on PS4, but I should have waited to play the super deluxe Switch version.

I do use the Switch's portability but I too fail to see how it's delivering on RPGs. The two big original releases it has had were pretty disappointing from my perspective. There is zero reason to play a massively downgraded version of TW3 over the PC version. I would even argue that stuff like Darkest Dungeon is a debatable prospect given the interface issues it has relative to other versions.

As for the ports, whatever. I find it difficult to justify paying a Ninyendo premium for games I've played a billion times.

The GBA probably has the Switch thoroughly best in terms of JRPG offerings.

Apr 24, 2018
Who knows all told how many classics from previous generations the Switch will eventually have? The fact that Grandia released and a remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles I was just announced, further leads me to believe that other sought after classics such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, the Lunar games, and Skies of Arcadia may eventually come, as well.

Couple this with the occasional stellar Switch exclusive titles such as Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles II, and it certainly should at least be the strongest Nintendo console for rpgs since the SNES (if it isn't already).

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I cant help but roll my eyes when people say, for example, that the ps1 is a better rpg console when ps1 doesnt have any RPG games released after like 2001....like I know y"all love your retro stuff but let's be real lol

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No the Switch is a good system but come on. Ps1, Ps2, Snes handily beats it in rpgs alone.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have anything except a couple of titles that aren't also releasing for PS4 - and doesn't have the other titles such as KH3, FF15, Fallout 4, FF7 Remake, etc?

If so, not at all becoming the greatest RPG console. Now if you changed word console for handheld then you would have a conversation!

But outside of portability or it being your only console, no reason to get most of these ports on Switch. Now if you only have a Switch or you play outside your TV often, then it's a huge advantage over PS4!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I cant help but roll my eyes when people say, for example, that the ps1 is a better rpg console when ps1 doesnt have any RPG games released after like 2001....like I know y"all love your retro stuff but let's be real lol

there really haven't been very many actually good JRPGs released in the past ten years, so in terms of sheer quality-by-volume, the PS1 is definitely still a juggernaut, especially compared to RPG crapbaskets like the PS3, 360 and Wii.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What 1st party RPG does it have? It has an SRPG and an ARPG (really Zelda is more of an Action Adventure than RPG but that's a larger debate)?
So far?

Released
  • Astral Chain
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu!/Evee!
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country
Coming up
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

This is setting aside Zelda and all the games Nintendo picks up for western regions (DQ series, Octopath, etc).

Oct 26, 2017
Does it have anything except a couple of titles that aren't also releasing for PS4 - and doesn't have the other titles such as KH3, FF15, Fallout 4, FF7 Remake, etc?

If so, not at all becoming the greatest RPG console. Now if you changed word console for handheld then you would have a conversation!

But outside of portability or it being your only console, no reason to get most of these ports on Switch. Now if you only have a Switch or you play outside your TV often, then it's a huge advantage over PS4!
I suppose if you work with weird limitations like that and discount others, then, yeah, it doesn't have much

Handhelds have traditionally had strong RPG support and, until more recently, much better support in that regard than consoles. Not to mention the OP is saying "it is becoming one of the best", not "the best"

You mean outside of the reasons for why someone would want to play on the Switch, there's no reason to play ports on the Switch? Interesting

What 1st party RPG does it have? It has an SRPG and an ARPG (really Zelda is more of an Action Adventure than RPG but that's a larger debate)?
Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon, the upcoming Persona Emblem port, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well as the upcoming remake of the first game, Astral Chain, and Zelda. For a system that's only 2 and a half years old, that's pretty good and it's prospects are looking solid too, since we'll also add in the likely Mario RPGs as well

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So far?

Released
  • Astral Chain
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Coming up
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield

This is setting aside Zelda and all the games Nintendo picks up for western regions (DQ series, Octopath, etc).

Astral Chain and MUA3 really aren't RPGs...

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
one of the greatest.. yeah.. if being 5th or 6th is still considered being one of the greatest. of course then.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So far?

Released
  • Astral Chain
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Coming up
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield

Don't forget Mario + Rabbids, even though it's not first party.

And doesn't it also have a bunch of console exclusives that were either PC or mobile ports?