• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I know it was delisted from PSN but its still available in some stores physically.

Was wondering is it worth paying $25 for it? Or does the plot/cameos or w/e exist in Hacker's memory to the point there's no reason to get the first one?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I had to leave it halfway. The exploration was boring, the story tried a rare mix between SMT / Persona and Digimon and only managed to be ridiculous and the combat was repetitive.

Dec 21, 2017
I loved it, but I'm the type who paid 60 for both games day one.

Don't get HM, at least not unless you REALLY like the OG. Plot is worse and the gameplay is a carbon copy of the first game.

I'd say it's worth getting and playing, especially if you want a good Digimon game. It feels more like a Diet SMT game than anything else.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I bought it on vita. Put a good 10 hours into it. It's a somewhat servicable turn-based type JRPG, but the story and storytelling is quite honestly absolutely and utterly abysmal. It's completely without any redeemable quality.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It's an enjoyable enough game, you'll have some fun with it. Plus it's very addicting digivolving your Digimons and figuring out how to get certain Digimons!

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
I had a blast when I played it but don't know how it holds up today
I played it when the ps4 didn't have many rpgs in it's library

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Hacker's Memory is a side-story, happening during the first game's plot, and many locations are replaced from the first game. I only played the first one and I found it quite good, even if sometimes the plot advances really slowly.
I think the gameplay doesn't change that much in the sequel.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If you like Digimon games, yes. It's a very solid JRPG.

Hacker's Memory is a relatively separate side story. There's character crossover, but it's more side characters. HM is really only for if you like the first one.

the story and storytelling is quite honestly absolutely and utterly abysmal. It's completely without any redeemable quality.
lmao this ain't true

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. The gameplay, immersion, and world exploration are aggressively janky.

The setting of Nakano Broadway was cool, the character designs were strong, and the relative maturity of the game was a welcome change, but the actual gameplay and immersion of the player character were disruptively unpleasant to the point that the positives were irrelevant.

Bad game beneath an intriguing shell.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it, but your enjoyment will absolutely hinge on how much you like and are expecting Digimon fanservice. There's a lot of it, so if that's what you're looking for, good. The rest of the game is pretty average. The characters are still fun and memorable though

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played it instead of Pokemon Let's Go last year.

Cyber Sleuth was certainly the better investment option.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is an amazing game with a horrible localization. I really loved the ending in this game

Also the female MC is the canon one, no matter what people say

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you like Digimon games, yes. It's a very solid JRPG.

Hacker's Memory is a relatively separate side story. There's character crossover, but it's more side characters. HM is really only for if you like the first one.

lmao this ain't true
I mean, no accounting for taste, but it's absolutely true in my book. Did you play in Japanese or something, because the issue might well be the localization. It had some of the worst writing I've ever had the displeasure of engaging with.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the gameplay and the setting but the writing is where it fell apart for me, the localization matters a lot for me in RPGs and Cyber Sleuth was juuust short of the mark

the sidequests are kinda janky too

that said, I'd say get it in case you ever find yourself in a Digimon-y mood

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think if you like digimon it probably will be good, i found it rather dull off the bat and my history with digimon just isnt deep enough to keep me interested

also it is pretty cheap so that makes it an easier buy

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
The first game I would highly recommend, but you need to have some level of enjoyment of systems because the story takes its sweet time to get anywhere interesting so you don't have a lot to go on other than digimon evolution and fanservice. It does pick up eventually and finishes strong.

The second game I can only recommend if you really, really liked the first game. The primary appeal is seeing different sides of the story of the first game, since the gameplay is pretty much identical and it is concurrent with the events of that game.It also has more digimon, but that's not really that important.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, no accounting for taste, but it's absolutely true in my book. Did you play in Japanese or something, because the issue might well be the localization. It had some of the worst writing I've ever had the displeasure of engaging with.
Nope, ending of the game is well done and unexpectedly serious (which HM doubles down on). Don't have issues with poor localization, I can figure out what they're getting at.

There's plenty of far worse stories and gameplay in the budget JRPG territory. Cyber Sleuth is one of the better ones.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I ordered it

Localization/translation cant be as bad as The Legend of Heroes Garghav trilogy which I stomached through last year in a total of 120-150 hours between the three games.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It was my favorite Pokémon game the year it released, so there's that.

There's also fun in trying to break the game as much as possible in the Endgame.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
The main theme is also really good(and totally not straight out of Danganronpa)

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
When I play the game, gonna re-watch the digimon anime i watched (first four seasons) and catch up to the recent ones lol.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked it, would recommend. Didn't care for Hacker's Memory though, personally.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I was never into Digimon and just found the game to be OK and not worth my time after 10-15 hours.The exploration and combat was really boring.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's like off-brand Persona. The Digimon are cool, the battle system is fine, and the music is kickin'. Definitely worth your twenty bucks.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a great game with an awesome cast of characters.

Highly recommended for any Digimon fans.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I went in only knowing that the Digimon systems were about the same as Dusk/Dawn on DS, so I was expecting something kinda on that scale. I ended up really pleasantly surprised by how ambitious the story/scope was overall.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell to the yes, great game ! Can't wait to see how the next entry is shaping up now that its being developed primarily for home consoles.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I liked it.

It's part more mature pokemon, part persona lite. It sadly shows all of its cards gameplay wise very early and is missing some awesome digimon but it was a fun adventure. I think it got a bit long in the tooth near the end but its a good game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Very much so, if you're a big Digimon Fan you will love it.

It's a fantastic follow up to the DS Dawn and Dusk games.

My favorite part is that you can pretty much get any Digimon you can think off, down to the Seven Great Demon Lords .

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. Prefer the first game; biggest issue is that the DLC is no longer available so I can't play crossplay between my vita and ps4 copies :(

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Do you like digimon? Yes or no
Do you like turn based jrpgs? Yes or no
Do you like monster collection games? Yes or no

If you said yes to 2 of the 3 above you'll probably enjoy Cyber Sleuth and should buy it. If you said yes to 3 of the 3 you'll adore the game. Speaking personally it's the digimon game I've wanted since childhood.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
If you're nostalgic (or just a fan) of the digimon series and you enjoy JRPGs with a modern setting, you'll like it. The game feels a bit repetitive visually, but it's very fun.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never finished it but I really enjoyed the time I spent with it.

I'm not a huge digimon person either, I just watched the first season as a kid.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I think it depends on your love of digimon and tolerance for boredom. I watched my wife put about 60 hours into it, and honestly, I'd rather claw my own eyes out than play it myself!

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
For 25 bugs I'd recommend it to everybody who likes jrpgs and Digimon. I enjoyed HM as well. Two solid games.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Both games are great but the first is best. (Platinum on CS and almost done on HM) I wish there was a more adult Pokémon series in the same style.

What's this about it being delisted though? Why did that happen?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The musics the best part about it. It's a joy hearing Masafumi Takada (Killer7, Danganronpa series) compose for a JRPG for a change.

It's kind of weird how much Tokyo Mirage Sessions and this game remind me of each other visually so much, even right down to their character designs. And the artist for this is the same artist for Devil Survivor series by Atlus...

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Digivolving is the most enjoyable aspect in the game. I love that you don't know what you're going to get.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It's good fun! Sorta reminds me of like a boilerplate candy coated SMT. It's a bit generic in places but I found it strangely charming.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
It is ok. The game is the very definition of average - it's inoffensive quality-wise in every aspect. Generally worth it if you like JRPGs, although I'd suggest getting the Vita version.