• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since a few people have mentioned it here, We Happy Few isn't a flop. From a Gamasutra article after launch: "I think if we hadn't done Early Access, I don't think We Happy Few would've been as successful." And looking at Steam, the game has over 3k user reviews. The rate of user reviews to sales varies greatly from title to title, but I think it's safe to say that the game has sold in the 6 digits (and SteamSpy estimates it at 100k-200k) which isn't bad for single platform sales of a studio's first major release after only a few months.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol thats your argument?
Says enough you have no real answer and agree about there is no definition. You just need to "get the concept'
And i am not even playing the game its not really my thing.
Yes. Most people are able to understand the concept of something flopping with a Webster's dictionary definition. If it doesn't meet your criteria, then so be it.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My pick is Tacoma. It released last year coming off a critical and relatively commercial smash with Gone Home, and severely underperformed compared to its predecessor.

Here is a PCGamer interview going into more detail. It's a shame too because I just played through the game recently and felt it was in the same ballpark of quality as Gone Home. But it just didn't connect and seems to have basically been forgotten at this point.

Other than possibly the Rogue Legacy -> Full Metal Furies progression, I haven't seen another real contender yet in this thread. Below itself went straight to Game Pass and is a divisive, not bad, game (critically speaking). So I think it's dubious to call it an outright flop when we really don't know how to treat the commercial performance of something that debuted on a streaming service.

On the other hand, Gone Home sold 700k+ and Tacoma sold 10k. Those are some hard numbers and they are flop numbers.

Also, buy Tacoma:

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
The hype for this game never made sense to me... So I don't know if it qualifies as a flop in my book. But yeah it's not a game for me.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I am not gonna lie but I thought this was going to be a slam dunk critical darling on its release so surprised to see the game flying under the radar with not much buzz

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is just plain BS for real. I hate this narrative.

Sean was surely not very clear about many things and he lied about a few, but Sean never lied a lot or as much as people call him out for you guys make him seems like a freaking con man. People overhyped this game into something it wasn't and then ran with it.

Out of the biggest calls out of the lies which where the multiplayer, the freighters and the moving planets only the freighters thing was a real lie.

Sean was led into the conversation about multiplayer in 1 IGN interview. He didn't bring it up. the interviewer brought it up and Sean very stupidly went along.

The moving of the planets thing changed because of development and people still called it a lie which is bs as games often change and that was a very minimal feature.

He did lie about the freighters as they were not as promised day one, but he has since made up for it.

Calling it BS when your argument is "he didn't lied a lot, he lied a few times" isn't the best direction to take.

Especially when you're dancing around some of the lies. He didn't "go along" with what IGN brought up. He lied. They asked him a question and he lied.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Pillars of Eternity 2 might be the bigger commercial flop. It's a damn shame because it's one of the best indie games of the generation, and certainly one of the better RPGs. Even more confusing is how bad it sold considering how well Pillars of Eternity 1 did.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
My pick is Tacoma. It released last year coming off a critical and relatively commercial smash with Gone Home, and severely underperformed compared to its predecessor.

Here is a PCGamer interview going into more detail. It's a shame too because I just played through the game recently and felt it was in the same ballpark of quality as Gone Home. But it just didn't connect and seems to have basically been forgotten at this point.

Other than possibly the Rogue Legacy -> Full Metal Furies progression, I haven't seen another real contender yet in this thread. Below itself went straight to Game Pass and is a divisive, not bad, game (critically speaking). So I think it's dubious to call it an outright flop when we really don't know how to treat the commercial performance of something that debuted on a streaming service.

On the other hand, Gone Home sold 700k+ and Tacoma sold 10k. Those are some hard numbers and they are flop numbers.

Also, buy Tacoma:

Both of these instances really hurt. And I always find myself wondering how things would've gone if those studios had worked on Rogue Legacy 2 and Gone Home Again instead of focusing on fully original projects after their respective breakway successes.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know where all this "mega hype" shit is coming from, it never had the marketing of most AA games let alone AAA.

What also shits me is a big company will get defended over misplaced puddles, but its all fair game to shit on smaller devs if it doesnt meet your "mega hype" expectations.
Below was a big deal for the first few months it was announced. It definitely had a hype train that rivaled games like Rime or Cuphead before they released.

It is easy to see why the op was disappointed and I wasn't even interested in xbox games back then.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I was so fucking hyped after the initial release, but ... it's released finally? :D

This is where I am at. I bought my Xbox One for Cuphead and Below. Cuphead was the secret GotY of 2017, so I need to see if Below is similarly great. I guess it is time to finally plug my Xbox One in after having moved a year ago?

Below seems to be a commercial flop and it has more middling and negative positive reviews percentage wise than NMS , even from a gaming media that tends to overate indies in general.

Indie games are still generally pretty underrated. The indie games that get a lot of hype tend to deserve every drop and more. Many other great indies are never given any attention at all. Meanwhile, big budget games get endless press even when they are mediocre every step of the way. In order for an indie game to get attention it has to be genuinely excellent. Even then, shitty people on the internet will just dismiss it because it is an indie game.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Most people are able to understand the concept of something flopping with a Webster's dictionary definition. If it doesn't meet your criteria, then so be it.
There is just no real definition. What if it got 7,5 overall. Was this thread made then? That's the problem of the words flop and bomba that gets thrown around. Like it has some specific point it reached.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I was looking forward to Below... in 2015. When it's finally released last month, I kinda felt nothing. I bailed out after reading the impressions that it's too hard with little variety.

Since a few people have mentioned it here, We Happy Few isn't a flop. From a Gamasutra article after launch: "I think if we hadn't done Early Access, I don't think We Happy Few would've been as successful." And looking at Steam, the game has over 3k user reviews. The rate of user reviews to sales varies greatly from title to title, but I think it's safe to say that the game has sold in the 6 digits (and SteamSpy estimates it at 100k-200k) which isn't bad for single platform sales of a studio's first major release after only a few months.
I'm surprised that it's doing that well, tbh. Good for them.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Full Metal Furies flopped pretty hard. It's by the immensely talented people behind Rogue Legacy. Goes to show that having one massive hit doesn't ensure visibility for your sequel. Below at least got some coverage. I don't remember any talk whatsoever about FMF.

kinda wish I had known about this while the Christmas sales were still live, oh well

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
fODyFNl.png

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Full Metal Furies flopped pretty hard. It's by the immensely talented people behind Rogue Legacy. Goes to show that having one massive hit doesn't ensure visibility for your sequel. Below at least got some coverage. I don't remember any talk whatsoever about FMF.

FMF was broken a week into its launch, is what I recall. Kept barfing up on PC and console. People couldn't get online games working for way too long.

Also, that name is terrible. Every time I said it out loud when talking to friends about the game, someone would stumble over "furies" and ask about "furries." And it doesn't evoke anything about how the game feels to play. Four Femme Fireteam. Boom. I just made my own dumb name up and it's better. (Doesn't mean mine is good. Anyway.)

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The game really needed more story and characters. The gameplay itself is okayish, but not enough to carry it. I ended up refunding the game because I couldnt care about anything and I was sure the ending would feel hollow because of that. So whats the point? Play 20 hours of mediocre gameplay, when there a dozen of better games for me to play atm. Just wasnt worth the trade IMO.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it actually flop thus far? Or is this personal opinion? It does seem like it released to little fanfare, but I don't talk to a lot of gamers anymore.

I didn't know a lot about it and didn't think it'd be for me when they showed more at release. I'd almost forgotten about it, too, because like someone else said, it was announced far too early. WAY too early. Like We Happy Few, which was a major disappointment that I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Below was hyped for years but a lot of interest was lost in time, and when it arrived it just failed to impress. That, for some people apparently, means it's a giant flop even when we don't know player numbers or sales. The game sits at 70 on OpenCritic, far from a disaster reception-wise. It's mainly a very divisive game, some people love it, others hate it. But you know, there's indie studios closing over a game that sold hundreds of copies lifetime. There's shit like The Culling 2 which was retroactivelly cancelled days after release because for a Battle Royale game you would hardly ever have more than a few dozen players online at the same time on any platform (and was also trash to begin with). There's Full Metal Furies that failed to make the slightest impact despite being the spiritual successor from one of the biggest indie games of the decade, Rogue Legacy. And there are countless of indies that were never even namedropped by anyone on Era, guess how those game must have sold.

I was disappointed by Below. I did enjoy the atmosphere and theme but the execution was an anachronistic mess. It felt like it had a great idea going on, but implementing soulslike and roguelike elements actually went against the game's own gameplay loop (eg. slow exploration that clashes with the survival element of having to find food and water constantly, permadeath that adds nothing positive to the experience since you don't really level up after death like in Rogue Legacy, etc.), and in the end it was an alternation of breathtaking moments and crazy frustrating parts. It's still a solid 7 game at least, I personally gave it 7.5. Nobody can be serious that such a game is the biggest indie flop of the past 5-6 years, unless they have some figures we don't know about the game selling like 15 copies or something.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
You can never predict what the market grasps onto, especially when devs want to make something else.
Tacoma was a disappointment sales-wise as a follow up to Gone Home.
Full Metal Furies.
Pit People sold well enough via early access, but got little buzz the entire year of 2018
Pyre at release.

Both of these instances really hurt. And I always find myself wondering how things would've gone if those studios had worked on Rogue Legacy 2 and Gone Home Again instead of focusing on fully original projects after their respective breakway successes.
Fans always ask for Gone Home Again, Rogue Legacy 2, Castle Crashers 2, Bastion 2 (at least Hades feels more like that combat-wise). I kind of admire devs that branch out and want to do something new. For the record I love all four of the games list above as "flops".

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Below hates visually impaired players, which is a real shame. I hope they patch accessibility options in down the line.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never realized that it was even released, I thought it was still on it's dev hell. NMS sold tons so it's not a flopped

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I'm just shocked nobody seems to give a fuck about this game since release. WoM seems non existent?

It was so hyped when MS announced it but that five year dev time must've drained away people's interest along with an awful xmas window release date.

Oct 27, 2017
This is just plain BS for real. I hate this narrative.

Sean was surely not very clear about many things and he lied about a few, but Sean never lied a lot or as much as people call him out for you guys make him seems like a freaking con man. People overhyped this game into something it wasn't and then ran with it.

Out of the biggest calls out of the lies which where the multiplayer, the freighters and the moving planets only the freighters thing was a real lie.

Sean was led into the conversation about multiplayer in 1 IGN interview. He didn't bring it up. the interviewer brought it up and Sean very stupidly went along.

The moving of the planets thing changed because of development and people still called it a lie which is bs as games often change and that was a very minimal feature.

He did lie about the freighters as they were not as promised day one, but he has since made up for it.

You can lie through omission too, which is largely what he did. He definitely had more than one opportunity to discuss the multiplayer - an interview with Game Informer, an interview where Geoff Keighley said something like "so you're kind of building an MMO, huh" and on launch day when those two guys tried to meet up in the same spot and everyone realised that the multiplayer was bullshit, but he still deliberately talked around it on Twitter.

The game is in a great state now but did a lot of stuff wrong at launch. I was so hyped for it and incredibly disappointed in the final product. You don't need to defend the guy or make excuses for its extremely poor launch, even though I fully disagree that it was a flop because everything suggests it did really well commercially.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

It's not too late for them to make Rogue Legacy 2

I loved the first one to death, and I'd kill for a sequel that is just more of the same

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I thought it looked and sounded nice, but in the end it was pretty bad at being a game. Couldn't force myself playing it anymore, after getting stuck on one of the early floors without any exit to be found.
In the end it wasn't fun.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at all the people saying NMS. It sold millions of copies at full price. It's literally the opposite of a flop.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018

Also, buy Tacoma:

Where did you get information that Tacoma sold only 10k?
Here are sales only from pc (Steamspy):

100,000 .. 200,000

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Sequels aren't a sign of promised success either. A lot of indie sequels have faltered. It's hard to say why, but I think those initial successes owed a lot to a lack of noise in the indie marketplace. These days marketing is essential, but that's not something every dev can strive for.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Ive played it. I really love the art style and music is amazing.

I however can only play for short periods because I get bored going doing busy tasks such as collecting my body on a random level I died on trying to collect resources. This can take upto 20mins as you have to be careful not to die again.

Resources are difficult to find as well in later levels.

I feel like wth a few alternations it could be amazing.

It feels, looks and sounds amazing though.

Re the 'flop' part of the title. It's impossible for us to tell without sales figures. Anyway continued support could make it more popular, look at Hollow Knight. That really found its legs last year a year after it was released.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I feel like BELOW could get some decent sales from the Nintendo/Sony crowd. But yeah it definitely undersold on Xbox.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
OP being disappointed != A flop.

It scored mjiddling reviews and definitely lost some WoM buzz that it had back at E3, but it's far from a flop. NMS is definitely not a flop on its initial sales alone, let alone it's phoenix-from-the-ashes story of constant updates and improvement..

There are dozens of indie games released every month that flop, deservedly or not.

Personally I think the game is great, and exactly the kind of thing I enjoy getting through Gamepass.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone want a Gone Home sequel? It was great how that story unfolded in the exploration, but I never felt the need to continue that story once it concluded. If you wanted a new story with new characters and some advancements on their delivery for the sequel, well Tacoma checks those boxes.
This thread is an interesting exercise in goal post moving. Make sure to stretch your backs.