• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
QATZfTY.png

Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon so after Mario, It's gotta be AC, right? BOTW exploded Zelda but 22.5 million in less than 4 months is some other shit.

Even considering the perfect launch scenario, it's not hard to imagine AC becoming Nintendo's GTA Online/Minecraft, Infinite money well.

edit: talking about IPs nintendo wholly own.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
IP is bigger than game sales. Mario and Pokémon, and probably Zelda have it beat in merchandising and brand recognition by a fair amount.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess the question is how much of it's quarantine-related success carries over to the next entry.
I think it's going to be a reliably massive seller regardless, New Leaf and Wild World also sold really well, but it's very much a once a console game so it won't see the output overall the other flagship series have.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda still all have bigger general mindshare and brand recognition. Then probably Animal Crossing.

If we're talking series only owned by Nintendo, then it's at least competitive with Zelda.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

Zelda may not sell more than others in that list, but it's still Nintendo's flagship IP and the gaming industry's most prestigious IP, which they dedicate their best talent and often half decade development times to. A good Zelda game can literally make or break an entire generation for Nintendo; the same cannot be said for any of their other IP.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda still all have bigger general mindshare and brand recognition. Then probably Animal Crossing.

If we're talking series only owned by Nintendo, then it's at least competitive with Zelda.

Not counting the co-owned stuff like Kirby or Pokemon, the top 4 kings of Nintendo definitely seem to be Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and now Splatoon.

Those are the four IPs most prominately displayed at Nintendo's store in Japan.

v7VJMuk.png

EHh7CtbUEAAQ4Df.jpg

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll see bigger merchandise push from Nintendo for Animal Crossing. It's ready bigger then Zelda in Japan, no? In terms of merchandise I mean (and I guess game sales).

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I'll bet that Nintendo World next expansion will be something AC related. Nintendo should strike now while the iron is hot.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Imo

Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
I wouldn't put Metroid up there. In fact I would put Fire Emblem over Metroid ( not above DK tho). The series is bigger then ever and has a few critical Acclaim titles. Plus a highly successful mobile title.

tho I feel this list is a off overall.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New Horizons has boosted Animal Crossing to such a degree that it's going to be even more of a key IP going forward.

That said, I don't see it taking over Mario as Nintendo's flagship franchise when it comes to cross media endeavors (theme park, movie, merch). Same with Pokémon. I think there's a level of cultural iconography and recognition in those two IP that AC hasn't reached yet. Though sustained successes like ACNH will put it there someday.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure a series that typically only generates a single entry per console cycle with no clear plan for further monetization or spin-offs can fit that role. It doesn't have much room to grow and expand to offer new experiences and generate additional revenue streams beyond the core titles. Its failure with Amiibo Festival and the thousands of unsold figures was one of the main reasons Nintendo backed off of Amiibo as a major product line and there's no guarantee that won't happen again. Pocket Camp has also struggled and failed to generate the revenue and player interest that one would expect from such a major brand, which ought to be so well suited for the mobile audience.

Pokemon and Zelda are stronger in the sense of having a wider set of possible products to sell, which gives the brand greater resiliency in case a particular title doesn't hit the mark, and have comparable or greater brand awareness and merchandising.

Last edited:

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
as a wise woman once said: that's forkin' insane!

mario cumulatively kills it, but that's kind of unfair since it had like a 20 year head start with way more installments. but as a standalone title, it easily breezed pass mario's record with SMW's 20 million.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong

Zelda may not sell more than others in that list, but it's still Nintendo's flagship IP and the gaming industry's most prestigious IP, which they dedicate their best talent and often half decade development times to. A good Zelda game can literally make or break an entire generation for Nintendo; the same cannot be said for any of their other IP.
Metroid will never count in terms of importance

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Yes in the sense that it draws in more consumers and exposes a greater amount of them to Nintendo's other IPs.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought of Animal Crossing as a juggernaut IP since Gamecube days. No real competition and there will always be a huge audience to purchase the new entries.

Except the Amiibo Festival Animal Crossing game. Fuck that

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
as a wise woman once said: that's forkin' insane!

mario cumulatively kills it, but that's kind of unfair since it had like a 20 year head start with way more installments. but as a standalone title, it easily breezed pass mario's record with SMW's 20 million.
Mario's record would be around 40 million with the original Super Mario Bros.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is only behind Mario in terms of impact and branding. It expands their audience unlike any other IP. Pokémon has shown a very similar but effect but it has a lower range and has been more consistent in that 15-20 million area since Gen 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

Donkey Kong is way more popular than Metroid

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Top 3 I'd say, though I think you could separate Mario and Mario Kart and they'd be 1 and 2. I'd give number 2 to Pokemon due to it's consistency and mass media strength. 3rd is very close, but it's really hard to overlook what ACNH is doing.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Maybe the third after Pokémon and Mario. But I have a feeling that Zelda could make a big splash now if they managed to do a good movie somehow. Let's see how it goes for Mario.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I wouldn't put Metroid up there. In fact I would put Fire Emblem over Metroid ( not above DK tho). The series is bigger then ever and has a few critical Acclaim titles. Plus a highly successful mobile title.

tho I feel this list is a off overall.

How many more game of the generation candidates do any other of Nintendo's IP have over Metroid?

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
idk I think merchandising (in the west at least) & infrequent releases/lack of spin offs kind of push it down a bit

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

Kirby is way bigger then that. It might not have a ton of huge game sales but it's a merchandising beast. I've seen people who've never play games even know who Kirby is.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

put metroid last tbh

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably something like:

Mario
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Zelda
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Mario X (Party, Tennis, Strikers, etc)
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Wii X (Sports, Fit, Play - basically dead and are probably going to be off this list soon)
Mario RPGs
Xenoblade
Metroid
Pikmin
Star Fox
Wario
Kid Icarus
Yoshi
Everything Else

Last edited:

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

People would recognise Kirby far more than Metroid. That should be last

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think AC will become a 15-20 million game. Maybe the pandemic, helped maybe not, but I think AC will be like pokemon. It will be consistent in sales.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Imo

Mario
Zelda
Pokemon
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Smash
Metroid
Donkey Kong
Splatoon
Fire Emblem
Kirby

metroid? on what planet?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many more game of the generation candidates do any other of Nintendo's IP have over Metroid?
Metroid only really has 2, Super and Prime 1. Fusion, Zero Mission, Samus Returns, and the Prime sequels are all great, but I don't think they're ever really in that conversation. I think that ties it with Donkey Kong Country for GOTG contenders (DKC2 and Tropical Freeze), assuming you separate it from Arcade DK, which in itself would make it massively more important for legacy reasons.