• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Wow...I'm surprised this is being received so well, I was sure it would be a dud. Consider it on my radar, excited to see / hear more.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Also people in this thread being like "ha, now you eat crow", like, gods forbid you base your opinions on the available footage and aren't hyped sight unseen for something.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Also people in this thread being like "ha, now you eat crow", like, gods forbid you base your opinions on the available footage and aren't hyped sight unseen for something.
They are reactions to the tendency of negative reactions about everything with VR on the title. Even psvr fans didn't like the trailer though.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds much cooler than it initially looked. I was expecting something on rails, but those free-flight controls sound great.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is everyone claiming that Moves are some rare artifact from the past? Sony sells PS4 branded double packs specifically for PSVR. For some weird reason there's another pack in the US and it's $20 more expensive though.

Anyway, with Skyrim, Beat Saber, Superhot, this and creating in Dreams, I think the Move is thoroughly redeemed at this point. Without Move (or the applicable PC controllers) you're only getting half of what makes VR wonderful.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it was in development for 2 years and that the developers have pedigree should have afforded it some leeway, sure....

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
lame that us pc players cant play all these "good" vr games? I mean what other way could it be?

A lot of them wouldn't exist in this form if it weren't for Sony's publishing pipeline (developers from Insomniac said Sony has a very good one for the kind of game Spidey is and a publisher's influence is underrated).

I would have told people PSVR would be the best investment, power of the PC be damned, because Sony has a lot of publishing power and experience creating these games/making them a reality, whereas many of the other headsets don't have Worldwide Studios as Sony does.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
It seems the trailer from the State of Play event is a section of the game that is designed to be less free flowing. The preview in the Kotaku report states:

"This section was less free-flowing than the first part of the demo. I didn't feel quite as free to fly anywhere, but that was fine, because as the game kept me aloft I was able to focus on shooting at dozens of drone enemies swarming the plane. I was then able to fly toward the plane and, reaching my hands forward, help bend part of the its wings back into shape and yank open the doors to the landing gear. I felt like a super-hero, like I really was in an Iron Man suit. Not bad".

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well why didn't they make a better trailer then? The gifs and impressions sound great, the trailer felt like a super low-budget shovelware.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like another hit for a Sony exclusive..

....they can't keep getting away with it!!!

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. I'm very much still skeptical. Free flight is better than on rails, sure, but even then...this is supposed to be a full game? Doing what? Chasing down robots in the sky for 8 hours? The occasional "buzzing the tower" with an obstacle? I mean, ok, so, the flying feels great. What comes after that? How does it evolve as a game over the course of it's campaign? Does Iron Man get mechanically distinct weaponry? Do we ever fight as someone on the ground? What makes it go beyond "manuver in the sky to make this far away shape closer, and then point at it"? So far this strikes me as a blander, shallower version of something like Ace Combat. Nailing the flight is not a full game, it merely sets a benchmark of "not literally sickening".

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Does Marvel have some deal with Sony? How come all the marvel exclusives are for PlayStation?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Eh. I'm very much still skeptical. Free flight is better than on rails, sure, but even then...this is supposed to be a full game? Doing what? Chasing down robots in the sky for 8 hours? The occasional "buzzing the tower" with an obstacle? I mean, ok, so, the flying feels great. What comes after that? How does it evolve as a game over the course of it's campaign? Does Iron Man get mechanically distinct weaponry? Do we ever fight as someone on the ground? What makes it go beyond "manuver in the sky to make this far away shape closer, and then point at it"? So far this strikes me as a blander, shallower version of something like Ace Combat. Nailing the flight is not a full game, it merely sets a benchmark of "not literally sickening".

Interesting! I will give your impressions very careful consideration.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of them wouldn't exist in this form if it weren't for Sony's publishing pipeline (developers from Insomniac said Sony has a very good one for the kind of game Spidey is and a publisher's influence is underrated).

I would have told people PSVR would be the best investment, power of the PC be damned, because Sony has a lot of publishing power and experience creating these games/making them a reality, whereas many of the other headsets don't have Worldwide Studios as Sony does.

I dont mind the spiderman game. I have a ps4. Im not going to buy 2 vr headsets tho

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Eh. I'm very much still skeptical. Free flight is better than on rails, sure, but even then...this is supposed to be a full game?

Yes.

Doing what? Chasing down robots in the sky for 8 hours?

In the OP:
"We're not making a rail-shooter. We're not making an amusement park game. We're not making a short demo or an experimental Iron Man 'experience,'" game developer Ryan Payton told me last week in New York City after I had finished a demo of his studio's forthcoming game, Iron Man VR.

"We're making a full game with a deep sandbox, with a deep story with plenty of great missions and great cinematics."

The occasional "buzzing the tower" with an obstacle? I mean, ok, so, the flying feels great.

Huh?

What comes after that? How does it evolve as a game over the course of it's campaign? Does Iron Man get mechanically distinct weaponry?

Also in the OP:
  • Though I didn't get a chance to try it, the final version of the game is said to allow players to customize Iron Man's suit and upgrade its abilities in Tony Stark's garage.

Do we ever fight as someone on the ground? What makes it go beyond "manuver in the sky to make this far away shape closer, and then point at it"?

Do you want them to detail the entire game for you in the first hands on session? lol

So far this strikes me as a blander, shallower version of something like Ace Combat. Nailing the flight is not a full game, it merely sets a benchmark of "not literally sickening".

Iron Man (full 8-10 hour long VR game) strikes you as a blander shallower version of a game with only 3 PSVR mission?

Reading the OP is not as hard as it looks, try it next time.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

In the OP:

Huh?

Also in the OP:

Do you want them to detail the entire game for you in the first hands on session? lol

Iron Man (full 8-10 hour long VR game) strikes you as a blander shallower version of a game with only 3 PSVR mission?

Reading the OP is not as hard as it looks, try it next time.
I did read the OP. I failed to see anything that addressed my concerns. For instance, the fact that we can tinker in his garage doesn't mean that they will be meaningful or interesting changes. For all we know, it could just be "set phaser power to 20". All I really got from any of the previews is that the flying is good, which is, again, the baseline here. I'd expect that from all these impressions, we'd get a little more to care about what we have to look forward to, and not just "trust me, you won't vomit; it feels great". That's like if Spider-Man previews touched on literally nothing else whatsoever besides swinging - no mission structure, no city layout stuff, nothing about the villains, nothing about the ground combat - and a few throwaway lines about "you can upgrade Spider-Man". Maybe try actually understanding my post next time; it's pretty straightforward.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
God damn. This is starting to sounds really good. for me, the best games on VR so far have been full games. And not even ones built ground up for VR.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I did read the OP. I failed to see anything that addressed my concerns. For instance, the fact that we can tinker in his garage doesn't mean that they will be meaningful or interesting changes.

Some of your questions are already answered in the OP. If you've failed to see anything useful then you're better of waiting for the next round of previews which will most likely tackle the additional gameplay features mentioned in the OP. The fact that you've already assumed said upgrades won't be meaningful makes me wonder why you even asked this question in the first place.

For all we know, it could just be "set phaser power to 20". All I really got from any of the previews is that the flying is good, which is, again, the baseline here.

So assume the worst despite all the praise from those that have actually had a chance play it. That's one take.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Some of your questions are already answered in the OP. If you've failed to see anything useful then you're better of waiting for the next round of previews which will most likely tackle the additional gameplay features mentioned in the OP. The fact that you've already assumed said upgrades won't be meaningful makes me wonder why you even asked this question in the first place.

So assume the worst despite all the praise from those that have actually had a chance play it. That's one take.
No, none of my questions were answered in the OP. It doesn't detail anything, because none of these previews seem to detail anything beyond that the flying is great, which, again, fine, now go beyond that. Raising a hypothetical only goes to show how little is actually covered. I haven't seen or heard anything about this game that gives me confidence that it'll be fun for a full campaign at all.

Imagine if it really was as I mentioned it to be - stat boosts to weapons and just chasing samey robots around in the sky until they explode. Does that sound like a full, complete game? No? It doesn't to me. I'm not saying that's what it will be, but I'd want some more detailing from previews as to what is actually involved here beyond that the handling is good.