• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

Not too big of a surprise since it's an XGS game, but it means the project is years away.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Would this mean other studios are already building games with Unreal Engine 5?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hyped for this project since they started hiring some major talent for it, including Dean Rymer (ex Bioware and SSM dev).. I can't wait.

P.S - I'm guess TC, TI , PlayG and NT will be using it too.

Last edited:

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Didn't Sweeney say something like it would be easy to port UE4 to UE5? I'm sure the barebones of the games has already started. I would think 2023 at the earliest?

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suppose this means pretty much any dev aiming to release a game on unreal from 2022 onwards will be on Unreal 5.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that UE5 early version will be released early 2021, and consummer version late 2021, yeah this is several years away.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have really high hopes for InXile. Brian Fargo has an incredible history and we'll finally get to see InXile not shackled to a crowdfunding budget and with plenty of time and resources to follow through on their ideas. Unreal Engine 5 RPGs are gonna look real nice.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
InXile is one of the most exciting studios to watch for me. They're very good at making RPGs, I can't wait to see what they'd do with the MS money.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Not super surprising considering most MS teams are already using UE, but nice to know they're getting on the ground floor for UE5

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Gonna continue holding out hope that them or Obsidian have acquired the rights to Stormlight Archive or Mistborn for their next game.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
User Warned: Drive by trolling
Game company will be using latest engine on their next project that they have not started working on yet.

Neat.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I assume devs will be able to port their code/assets over from UE4 to UE5 with relative ease. I don't think this suggests any extra wait time.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sweeney say something like it would be easy to port UE4 to UE5? I'm sure the barebones of the games has already started. I would think 2023 at the earliest?

InXile are talented devs but they're not exactly known for making AAA RPGs. That's a huge step up like what Sony Bend did in making Days Gone. I'm not even sure they're anywhere close to similar AAA game devs in terms of staff count or size.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
Don't you think MS will try to push the new Halo engine to some first party studios? Also playground I don't know if they'll try to adapt Forza Engine to an RPG... they create a fantastic open world in Horizon.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you think MS will try to push the new Halo engine to some first party studios? Also playground I don't know if they'll try to adapt Forza Engine to an RPG... they create a fantastic open world in Horizon.
Playground are already confirmed to be using Unreal Engine for their RPG (Fable)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
You are going to hear many Xbox studios using UE5. The only ones that wont really will end up being 343 and Turn 10 (Playground's Forza team as well)

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
While UE5 public preview will be starting early next year I do expect developer preview to start later this year especially for top customers like XGS and some others.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

The new Halo engine was built for Halo. I'd imagine most other studios would want to stick with something more general like unreal.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I suppose this means pretty much any dev aiming to release a game on unreal from 2022 onwards will be on Unreal 5.
not if the game has been in development using UE4 any game starting development in 2022 tho then yea I dont see a reason to stick with 4 then unless there are issues with 5 that become apperant later on but i more than highly doubt that

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
if anything they would want the devs to use UE as they all have been open about how they are able to share techniques and help each other which only speeds up the process and brings everyone up. plus a ton of xbox studios already have experience with UE