• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Lmfao I'm not a hipster at all and I'm looking forward to this thing. It's an expensive 150 dollar toy sure but it's a pretty nifty and fun looking toy that sounds like they're almost making the entire device some ARG level thing from what I've read. I understand that's not for everyone but if you're like me and you love weird crap this is great.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Pebble smart watches had a pretty die hard fan base and those were monocrhomatic screens

That's not an apt comparison, people didn't buy Pebble for the screen. They bought it because it was a semicheap smart watch when smart watches were not very accessible. You have to remember this was pre galaxy or apple watch They also had a great UI.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I like it, looks fun but $150 is too much for me.
I look forward seeing sega bass fishing demake on this

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Mark my words: this will sell out instantly and become a huge homebrew system. They'll do a second round with another 12 games and offer a subscription for v1 owners.

Can't wait for this to come out.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Oh god no, it's SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than that. 😜 But please, don't worry about our business — we're doing just fine with our other stuff (Mac software, game publishing, etc.). Playdate exists because we wanted to bring a cool/fun thing into the world. As long as we do that, we're happy and it was worth it.
I've got my fingers crossed for you guys. It's a really unique idea to say the least and I appreciate you all going out on a limb to do something different. Good luck!

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I've got the perfect mascot character!

latest

Oct 25, 2017
That's not an apt comparison, people didn't buy Pebble for the screen. They bought it because it was a semicheap smart watch when smart watches were not very accessible. You have to remember this was pre galaxy or apple watch They also had a great UI.

I was trying to note people will forgo a color lcd screen if the entire product is intriguing to them. Pebble was a sum of its parts, and this is the same way.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely. And the speaker is surprisingly strong, plus we have a headphone jack which supports mic in, and an on-board mic. We've written a synthesis engine, but of course you can just play regular ol' sound. We hope people do cool sound things…
Really hope someones making some sort of composition software.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well for people who insist the device should be only worth $30 (lol), then think of the 12 games being worth the other $120, or $10 each. Not so bad then.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
This is coming right at a time when I might actually have $150 to throw at it.

The gadget side of me is very interested.

Sdconvoy

Jan 4, 2019
This thing speaks to me. Yes 150 might not be "worth" it if you just consider what a huge industry behemoth with economies of scale behind them would put out, but if you look at it for what it is, a high build quality, unique piece of hardware that could potentially offer a unique play experience, being made at almost a 'craft' scale, it's worth the price of admission.

The size and battery life hopefully will contribute to being able to just throwing it in your pocket and jamming on it when you're out and about or sitting around.

The black and white screen doesn't bug me at all, in fact, I think the monochrome / gradients for shading look gives the whole thing an aesthetic and identity that I dig.

New games once a week in a "season" could lead to a social or community aspect of the system, similar to how you talk and discuss TV shows. "Hey, what do you think of 1bit Crank Minigun Man 2020?!" "Yeah, wasn't expecting that when I woke up today!"

Overall, I'm thinking that the experience of this will definitely make it a better device than something like the ouya. I'm getting one.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of a season of games and having a unique piece of hardware but I doubt I'll get one at that price. Hope people have fun with it!

Oct 27, 2017
Playdate looks nice, although it seems overpriced for what it is. With that said, it's clearly intended to be an ultra-niche device, so maybe they didn't have much room to manoeuvre.

There's an effusive delirium coming from some that looks to me like it's bordering on the insane though. One wonders how it could be a device so seminal to John Gruber that no announcement since that of the original iPhone has been as "amazing and exciting" as this.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
...why black and white?

edit: no backlight either?

I guess it's just an artsy fartsy gimmicky gadget.

This is how I feel about it as well. Plus the $150 price tag is stupid high for something like this. It could be an interesting concept, but some of these strings that are attached to it are deal breakers.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If I had the money to drop on an expensive toy i'd be all over this. I want to CRANK. IT. UP!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I wish it wasn't $150 just because that's a lot to spend on one thing, but I can't say that it's a bad value proposition considering that it looks like a well-made device and has 12 pack-in games.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask what is so appealing about a black and white machine that has 12 games and costs not that far away from a Switch is? Is it the crank?

It has games by designers I really like, and I approve of the artistic choice of a quality black and white screen. It's evocative of the original Gameboy, which I grew up with, but without the undeniable flaws of the screen on that machine. Considering the price is for both the unit and 12 individual games the price isn't that bad either. As an avid board gamer, I've bough single board games for more than that. Also, the crank seems like a lot of fun.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask what is so appealing about a black and white machine that has 12 games and costs not that far away from a Switch is? Is it the crank?

I like the idea of a cheapish device that has a curated selection of experimental/unique games from talented developers that can't be played anywhere else. I am assuming here that they titled the first 12 games as Season One because they plan to release future game collections.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
*sigh* fuck it. Sign me up.

Wait, will this ship to the UK? And what will the process be in Queen Lizzie Fun Bucks?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Price is too high.

If this was cheaper ~$50 or so I could see it blowing up like a high tech fidget spinner type of situation.

As it stands it's the nichest of niche gaming products on the market.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Trying waaaay too hard. And Edge front cover and them all over it :rolleyes:

definitely buying it