• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

pRESET ERror

Dec 18, 2019
Absolutely beautiful... Looks like a PS3 "boomerang" prototype DualShock mixed with a DualShock 4.

Last edited:

Joo

May 25, 2018
smart to show this beforehand,
a white ps5 reveal out of nowhere would have melted the internet to a blackhole.
now people got used to the idea and lowkey expecting it.

This is an excellent point. I'd actually be more surprised now if the console isn't white or at least have a white pattern of some kind.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
What if the adaptive triggers aren't electro-mechanical, but magnetorheological (i.e. uses a fluid that changes viscoelasticity based on an applied magnetic field)? That would be fucking boss :D

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Sony going all in with immersion.

VR, DualSense, instant load times, and whatever else they haven't announced yet. Getting super excited for PS5.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some more stuff about the DS from that old Wired Article

Its has a bigger battery and is heaver then the DS4 but still lighter then the XB1 controller

Adaptive Triggers

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.
Thanks for bringing this back up.

Earlier I said I wonder if the adaptive triggers would be cool in a game with different guns, they already mentioned that, lol.

Hype level intensifies..

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
That thing will overheat in a day.

Here, let me use my superior design tools to give it better heat management:

ps5.png

Haha yeah– pretty much this.

Although, if there were large cool air intakes on the font, I think you'd want exhaust out the back vs no clear path for airflow. Similar to how the Series X cooling works– cool air in the bottom, over the components and then exhausted out the top like a tunnel vs leaking out the sides and stuff.

Also, the V design might also be good for splitting the heat generated from the APU from the SSD and/or power supply into separate sides of the cooling chambers/tunnels depending on how you split them up.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

There will be hints of the "V" dev kits and the DS5…

Myeah this def isn't it. You cant really extrapolate that many design elements from a controller that is shaped for ergonomics. look at the DS4.. how much does that resemble the PS4? beside it being black, and using glossy and matte finishes. there isn't much similarity. the Ps4 def does not look organic and I expect the Ps5 to also not look like an organic blob. Sony is very good at hardware design and I expect something quite striking. color scheme will match I am sure but that will be about it.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Just give me the devkit and the sexy new DS5 (that'll stick, no matter what Sony will try, just like hardly anybody was/is calling his Xbox the "One" as MS probably hoped.

All white, all right!

Or just show some gaaaames.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

There will be hints of the "V" dev kits and the DS5…

That looks absolutely awful. There's no way it's gonna be anything even close to this after the very stylish and sleek PS4 (Pro was a step down though).

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Usually I don't care about form factor of consoles but I'm so hyped to see PS5 after the DS reveal.
I really they nail the futuristic design like they did with the DS5.

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
Diverse control schemes for home console controllers has been a thing for a long time. Microsoft and Sony have doing it this whole generation, even.

"As much as Nintendo on their Joycons"

I know diverse control schemes exist on Sony's console, but to the extent that fans hyping currently, probably not. There will be special edition color or blue and red variety for sure. But it doesn't need a marketing genius to do that, as the poster that I was responding to alluded.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That thing will overheat in a day.

Here, let me use my superior design tools to give it better heat management:

ps5.png
Yep, that's what I was guessing at above too. Change the two top lines to a V and simplify the front and you've got it.

Also, anyone think the PS logo on the controller is touch sensitive like the buttons on the front of the PS3 was?

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Oh shit I just thought of something. Capcom could totally use this for Monster Hunter! Like for example, the heft of swinging the Greatsword could be translated in the haptic motors so you can really feel the weight as opposed to swinging like Dual Blades and it feels fast and stingy. Wow, this is going to change the way we perceive games a lot.
This is what I'm really excited for; being able to feel the weight and power behind melee attacks, parries, deflections and/or powerful bowshots in games. I would love to experience Sekiro's sword combat with the new controller.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm really excited for; being able to feel the weight and power behind melee attacks, parries, deflections and/or powerful bowshots in games. I would love to experience Sekiro's sword combat with the new controller.
Yeah im cool with this and excited to experience something like this but hopefully their is an option to turn that shit off if one choses to not want that level of immersion.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Yeah im cool with this and excited to experience something like this but hopefully their is an option to turn that shit off if one choses to not want that level of immersion.
I agree with this, not everyone is looking to experience that same level of immersion and might just want to simply relax and play a video game. I hope devs are able to find a way to balance this where one version of gameplay doesn't feel inherently superior to the other.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's going to look like the dev kit just slightly less tall. Maybe 3/4 Height. White all over with black center (V area) and blue lights on buttons accent color.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Can someone with the skills just create a website where we can customise every part of this controller to create our own designs. Have dark buttons, light buttons, coloured buttons etc. Give us it!!!

Edit: And for the love of god please show me this version!
3-sunset-orange-ps4-controller-3-1581369386243.jpg

I raise you my PS2 Slim Box Yellow - Nostalgia Edition; V2 with polished magnetic sticks, black buttons and double capacity battery! =p

20190901-215542-1280x720.jpg
20190901-215743-1280x720.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Oh shit I just thought of something. Capcom could totally use this for Monster Hunter! Like for example, the heft of swinging the Greatsword could be translated in the haptic motors so you can really feel the weight as opposed to swinging like Dual Blades and it feels fast and stingy. Wow, this is going to change the way we perceive games a lot.
This is so true. Actually could help people when it comes to timing with those kind of weapons because you now have a "feel" for when it's actually going to come down and allow you to press all the way down.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
What battery did you end up buying? I can't seem to find one that I'd feel comfortable shoving into the new style DS4's.

This is the one I went for, had it for a year and still runs near twice as long, charges quicker than I'd expect too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LCR33D4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Unfortunately doesn't appear to be available where I originally bought it anymore, though I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do wish they had moved the thumbsticks, I vastly prefer them in the Xbox's location.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Would be cool if the analogue stick and the d-pad were on a module that could be taken out and reversed.

I'm a symmetry guy myself. But evil folk need love too... =p

Edit: Seems it's already been done...!

41EZUpHMeCL._AC_.jpg

Last edited: