• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any word about paddles or, at least, this?:

maxresdefault.jpg
Most probably they will support something like that.
It has been reviewed well.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I am really curious to know how the PS5 controller looks like the XSX controller? Is it the sides?

It's the color. Everyone making that meme is using a white Xbox One controller, even though that wasn't the default. Xbox is associated with white thanks to the Xbox 360 and Xbox One S.

They're both controller-shaped, and they both have the key differences (asymmetrical vs. symmetrical sticks, touch pad) that they always have had.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I am really curious to know how the PS5 controller looks like the XSX controller? Is it the sides?

I am still trying to figure out how this is a copy of/looks like an xbox controller. If it's the two-tone color scheme, then thats debatable. However, everything else is basically a PS4 vs XB1 controller design which never got these kinds of responses.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I am still trying to figure out how this is a copy of/looks like an xbox controller. If it's the two-tone color scheme, then thats debatable. However, everything else is basically a PS4 vs XB1 controller design which never got these kinds of responses.
Yes. Once you color it dark, the DS5 is quite close to the 4.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The announcement is still fresh and people are clearly having fun with their free time, so the current hype is somehow understandable.

But I don't think it was in Sony intention to make various color scheme for the controller as much as what Nintendo has done for Switch's joycon. Unlike Switch, PS5 is a home console, meaning less reason for general consumer to brag their controller's fancy color.
Hmmmm...maybe, but after this social media response I think Sony would be shortsighted not to capitalize on this. They really should just have a custom DS option available directly from Sony.

Jun 2, 2019
But I don't think it was in Sony intention to make various color scheme for the controller as much as what Nintendo has done for Switch's joycon. Unlike Switch, PS5 is a home console, meaning less reason for general consumer to brag their controller's fancy color.

Diverse control schemes for home console controllers has been a thing for a long time. Microsoft and Sony have doing it this whole generation, even.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Flip that around. More of the world is playing on a symmetrical layout than the asymmetric version. Why do people insist on coming into Sony-specific threads to argue that Sony has it all wrong and the lagging competition is the one that knows what to do? By all means, everyone is welcome to their own perspective, but to claim that they're in the majority when objectively they are not is a little strange.

Thank you!

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
It's the shape. Its closer in shape to an Xbox controller now than a dualshock.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
This sounds amazing. I'm worried about price now. This thing is truly nextgen
It's not crazy though. Phones have been doing this for a long time. It's just this is the first time EVER (i think), there are microphones on a controller. Of course it'll eliminate background noise and cross-talk.

$10 - 20 Amazon Alexa's and Google Mini's do all of this

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

There will be hints of the "V" dev kits and the DS5…

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
It's probably very important for that mic to be able to eliminate crosstalk and filter out sounds because otherwise the mic would probably pick up the mashing of the buttons and the moving of the sticks etc.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That would be amazing. Their noise cancelling tech is the best in the market.
noise canceling in general is such a cool thing. simply playing back the same sound to cancel them out lol. i would hppe for sony to have some synergy with their audio division on this. but also i think someone was saying it would be good for noise calibration as well. prob like how sonos had me moving my phone up and down to calibrate use the controller to get a feel for your room.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is, is damn. This fucking controller might be the most advanced improvement for any controller that I can think of.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is a little over designed, but I'm now expecting something similar for the PS5 itself given the DS5's unique design language.

i feel like others thinking the shape of the console def might be similar to the shape of the touchpad. super curious how they handle it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
All I can say is, is damn. This fucking controller might be the most advanced improvement for any controller that I can think of.
for all it has, i def think so with pulling forward their other innovations with the the touch pad and the speaker on the controller with adding the mic, the voice coil actuators for rumble and the triggers that apply some force as well. sony def is looking to give a more immersive experience. I love it with the look. Sony seems to want to come out with fresh and bold design for the new decade. Im enjoying their approach so far. cant wait to see the console next.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's no way the V shape won't be present in some way. People say it's that way because of devkit stacking, but the way it takes in air from the front-middle and expels it from the front-sides would also be an ideal solution for consoles placed on TV racks, with nothing but the front open for circulation.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
smart to show this beforehand,
a white ps5 reveal out of nowhere would have melted the internet to a blackhole.
now people got used to the idea and lowkey expecting it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be the same price as whatever the Switch Pro Controller costs.

Make sure to buy one during Black Friday / Boxing Day, those were the only times I ever bought my pro controller and second set of joycons.
It's all going to depend what colors they have. If they make one like the really dark blue and black like the photoshop example or something white/gray like the classic 20 year PS DS4 that I have, I'd get it for sure. Don't think I'll be getting the same color if that's all they have.

Just looked at bestbuy, it's 90.. so 102$ after tax. Whew. I've got the Switch but haven't bought the pro controller. Don't know if it's worth it yet, since I love the current controller still (granted, I haven't been able to play it as much since I bought it).
Nice

A pair of Joycons are $80. I expect at least the same for this at minimum.
I don't mind it as much with the high price considering the amount of things they're implementing on this.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Remember how it felt to pull the trigger on the original NES light gun? I wonder if the triggers on the DS5 can accurately replicate that feel. I haven't used one since I was a kid, but I remember loving the way the trigger felt

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I was thinking something along those lines but with slightly more obvious air intakes on the top panel, the dev kit wasn't messing around on the cooling front..

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Some more stuff about the DS from that old Wired Article

Its has a bigger battery and is heaver then the DS4 but still lighter then the XB1 controller
That difference has been a long time coming. Product manager Toshi Aoki says the controller team has been working on haptic feedback since the DualShock 4 was in development. They even could have included it in PS4 Pro, the mid-cycle refresh—though doing so would have created a "split experience" for gamers, so the feature suite was held for the next generation. There are some other small improvements over the DualShock 4. The next-gen controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging (and you can play through the cable as well). Its larger-capacity battery and haptics motors make the new controller a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, but Aoki says it will still come in a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller "with batteries in it."

Adaptive Triggers
One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun. It also boasts haptic feedback far more capable than the rumble motor console gamers are used to, with highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller.

Combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.

Next, a version of Gran Turismo Sport that Sony had ported over to a PS5 devkit—a devkit that on quick glance looks a lot like the one Gizmodo reported on last week. (The company refused to comment on questions about how the devkit's form factor might compare to what's being considered for the consumer product.) Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn't that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of GT Sport simply didn't use it.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Last edited: