• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Why no color on the buttons? I don't mind the rest visually but that really bugs me.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Black with the blue light looks so much better. The white looks odd. Confused why they didn't tweet a picture of a black controller.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would a "like it, love it, dislike, or hate it" poll thread go for this controller? Probably a shit show like the rest. Seems the opinion's 50/50 to me based on this thread though.
Not at all! We had a poll for 3 hours with a decent amount of votes, but unfortunately the thread was locked because it had the same subject as this thread. DualSense had a good reception on ResetEra:

www.resetera.com

[Poll] First look at DualSense (new PS5 controller): Do you like it?

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll about the first impressions. I´m personally excited for the haptic feedback and ergonomy improvements.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So the vocal posters are calling the desgin ugly/awful mess because of the color scheme?

I mean I understand some posts in the first few pages .. you click their post history, and that gives you an understanding. But I don't think the design is final, and I don't think the color scheme is final. I think they just wanted the show off the curves of the design, with that color scheme.

And hell lol.... some keep this up, and it will look like the PS4 design come launch time. Like when Sony bailed on the boomerang PS3 controller.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Not at all! We had a poll for 3 hours with a decent amount of voted, but unfortunately the thread was locked because it had the same subject as this thread. DualSense had a good reception on ResetEra:

www.resetera.com

[Poll] First look at DualSense (new PS5 controller): Do you like it?

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll about the first impressions. I´m personally excited for the haptic feedback and ergonomy improvements.
Could probably use a poll with only two options here tbh :p

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Use the new actual PSVR2 controllers
Just thinking how the DS4 could also be used. That post about the left n right side detaching/sliding off might not be too crazy.

We haven't seen it yet, but it has to have back buttons, we just can't see them. I hope...

Also agree with the post saying it looks like Astrobot. So much teasing Sony...

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y3YFZAb.jpg

UCWoRY5.jpg
gjk1ude.jpg
gTVxU2c.jpg

Black / blue / PS1grey / red
Make the PS logo a matching metallic And change the color of one of the nubs to the controller color making it asymmetrical.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I see a picture in a picture thing and I cannot see it now...
Sticks for eyes and blue antennae ears
This is going to haunt me all next gen...with varying looks for the creature that I see (depending on color scheme)
49747503557_566da5ebc8_3k.jpg

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If you're gonna hide the light bar like that why even have it at all? Unless it's still on the top of the controller too?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at the design, the more I like it. Its a bit more chunky which is great since the old Dual-shocks have always felt a bit small and I am sure it will put it closer to the feel of the amazing Xbox controllers in terms of ergonomics.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I dig it, though I think it will look better in a different color scheme.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS fans will accept certain changes to the controller, but Sony knows that changing the stick position isn't one of them. This is how it's supposed to be.

It's not like people wouldn't buy it if they did. I think it's more iconic for Sony than a fan or design choice. It's an acceptable input that people can get along with.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
How would a "like it, love it, dislike, or hate it" poll thread go for this controller? Probably a shit show like the rest. Seems the opinion's 50/50 to me based on this thread though.

"Future tech" is probably a visual design principal for this console. So brace for that if it don't float your boat.
There was already a tread with a poll that got locked, majority liked the constroller.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at the design, the more I like it. Its a bit more chunky which is great since the old Dual-shocks have always felt a bit small and I am sure it will put it closer to the feel of the amazing Xbox controllers in terms of ergonomics.

I'm hoping for much better analog sticks.

If the analog sticks and battery life can rival the Xbox One/Switch Pro controllers, I'll be fine.

SilentFlyer

Oct 26, 2017
Keep looking at this angle and the white 'plates' over the top of the black core is some mech-inspired stuff. I wonder what's under the white plate covering the D-pad and buttons if you pulled it off. This angle is pure eye candy to me.

Yep. Looking at those plates gives me feeling that we might be able to detach them. But that's probably just me.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My immediate thought when I first looked at it was "that looks weird!" but looking at it more and it's grown on me and I have absolutely no problem with it.

Looks like it will be quite comfortable too with the adjusted shape and bulk.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
PS fans will accept certain changes to the controller, but Sony knows that changing the stick position isn't one of them. This is how it's supposed to be.

They already learned their lesson not to mess with their formula too much with the PS3 boomerang/sixaxis/DS3 debacle.

Also another reason I refuse to believe they removed rumble from the handles until Sony confirms it themselves.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more I look at it the more the two tone makes sense. The all black one looks fat, bulky, and ugly. The two tone gives it a more sleek look

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Create button instead of share button huh? With the speed of the PS5, think we can load up a screenshot/vid capture editor on the fly? Could also allow for a console specific photo mode that'll be universal across all games. Maybe some games could have special filters and features the devs wanna give players.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously I didn't notice this at all.

Sony the sticks better not suck and keep the usb standard as it will be my favorite controller of the next gen and used on anything I got a converter for.

Just hopes it's durable and glad it's more of the same. Short of them making better components there's not much to do.