• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm so excited this is still happening. If you liked FPSs like Stranger's Wrath, Zeno Clash or even Republic Commando where there is a focus on biological guns that could modify forms, but add the Beksinski/Giger worlds, this might be up your alley.

This was my playthrough of the alpha demo a couple of years ago, which I loved especially as a FPS with limited ammo, full body awareness, and existenZ like guns (that's where the Cronenberg body horror influence probably is).
dbpddlp-be652d8b-e45f-414a-896e-5a828aeace3e.gif

You're this humanoid with no mouth, beady eyes, and an open chest. As a shooter, it was very minimalist. The gun doesn't stay on your screen, you pull it up, which gave it an immersive HUD. The pistol and shotgun were fun to use, and I never got tired of the reloading, chambering, and modifying animations.
dbpddj7-e1cdee11-129d-4387-b857-e64d787a710a.gif

The spaces and sound effects were unsettling. There was one key puzzle I got confused on but figured out eventually. The enemies were quite a threat because you had to be close enough to finish them off otherwise from a distance they would have a glowing orb that could throw another enemy at you that is a one-hit kill.
dbpddg0-9f664f96-4524-4303-873e-07d95d6ff098.gif

This could be frustrating but it was a learning curve to figure out, and if the game has more unpredictable enemies, it's gonna be a tense experience. I just hope the checkpointing will be forgiving.

I really hope the final game maintains the tension of the ammo and enemies as found in the demo.

I doubt this game would have dialogue or text, so probably no textual lore, just loads of environmental storytelling. That's what makes it creepy. Sorry Dark Souls fans lol.

I appreciate the write up of your impressions; great refresher on the concepts I read from the devs and the gameplay I watched back in fall 2017. Can't wait to see how the game's shaped up since.

The 2016 teaser for Scorn works as an effective mood piece for me.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
For a game that has been in development for most of this generation, it's weird that their stance on abandoning these platforms is because they don't fit the vision of what the game is supposed to be.
likely the reason it stalled development is they couldn't get it running at the performance they wanted on current gen and moved to next gen late 2018

IIRC, console version was never announced. It was a PC game, and maybe they would bring it to consoles.

-----

I remember seeing this game in 2017 and being instantly interested on it. I love horror games and this one is very unsettling... So yeah, definitely playing on release.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone interested in the game, the devs have posted a Q&A on Steam, that is relevant for Xbox players also

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Scorn :: Scorn Xbox Series X Trailer

Hello everyone, In case you missed Inside Xbox today, here is a brand new Scorn Xbox Series X trailer. We decided to make this update in the form of a Q&A hoping to answer most of your burning questions. You will certainly have more questions than we managed to cover here, so feel free to post...
Oh I really like what I'm hearing here regarding their talk about framerate. Hype increased!

May 1, 2018
The exclusivity of this game hurts. I'm getting a PS5. I'm not going to have the funds for a Series X as well or to upgrade my PC to play Scorn. I've been following this game ever since I heard Brandon Jones read it's sponsorship ad on the very first Easy Allies podcast over 4 years ago. I was so excited waiting for new info on it since watching Huber and Ian of EZA play the beta (since my PC couldn't run it), wondering when and where it would pop back up. When I saw it on Inside XBox, I was so happy it was getting it's chance to shine in the spotlight during one of the big boys presentations. It didn't take long for my hopes to be crushed by the exclusivity. Now, I may never get to play this game. It's such a huge bummer after looking forward to it for so long.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
User Banned (1 week): Trolling; Platform warring
Console exclusive?

But everyone told me that was bad, that games should be on every platform, that Papa Phil doesn't like them, and that moneyhatting was terrible.

I guess I must've imagined it all.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
The exclusivity of this game hurts. I'm getting a PS5. I'm not going to have the funds for a Series X as well or to upgrade my PC to play Scorn. I've been following this game ever since I heard Brandon Jones read it's sponsorship ad on the very first Easy Allies podcast over 4 years ago. I was so excited waiting for new info on it since watching Huber and Ian of EZA play the beta (since my PC couldn't run it), wondering when and where it would pop back up. When I saw it on Inside XBox, I was so happy it was getting it's chance to shine in the spotlight during one of the big boys presentations. It didn't take long for my hopes to be crushed by the exclusivity. Now, I may never get to play this game. It's such a huge bummer after looking forward to it for so long.

Console exclusivity hurts, but they now have resources to make Scorn a better, polished game and release it with much better marketing:
Why Microsoft and why Xbox Series X exclusivity?

The authenticity of the game and being able to develop it as we conceptualized it is the highest priority. Before deciding to partner with Microsoft we made sure that they will not have any influence over the game's concept and development process. They were more than cooperative in that regard. The only thing they were interested in was exclusivity rights. Once all that was agreed upon it was a no brainer decision when you look at all the benefits Scorn will get from this partnership, from additional resources to much bigger exposure(marketing). It will certainly help us make Scorn a better, polished game in the end.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How blatantly it takes Giger's art and copies it wholesale works to its detriment, unless this was somehow a lost Cyber Dreams game with approval of Giger's estate.

Ah yes, an atmospheric horror game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry.

It actually sounds like the writing in Dark Seed.

these were the guys who promoted Easy Allies for a year

Was it just a year? Feels longer!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Sometimes indies go directly to Sony and Microsoft saying "hey, if we got any help, this would be an exclusive game to your platform".

Heh. I have no issues at all with platform exclusives, money hat or otherwise.

It's just there have been a couple of threads here where people have waved around accusations of anti-consumer behaviour when titles are exclusive, or would 'force' people to buy the new device in order to play.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Console exclusive?

But everyone told me that was bad, that games should be on every platform, that Papa Phil doesn't like them, and that moneyhatting was terrible.

If you can't comprehend the difference between an indie studio making an exclusivity deal in order to gain more resources, polish and exposure and a platform holder throwing money at a huge publisher like Activision just to keep their game off the other platform then maybe it's best to keep quiet.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If you can't comprehend the difference between an indie studio making an exclusivity deal in order to gain more resources, polish and exposure and a platform holder throwing money at a huge publisher like Activision just to keep their game off the other platform then maybe it's best to keep quiet.

End result is the same, and like I said, I don't care about money hats of any kind, but lots of people here do.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
End result is the same, and like I said, I don't care about money hats of any kind, but lots of people here do.
But lots of people is not everyone like you said. Some people here want to have exclusives, others want everything on all platforms. This goes for all platforms.
As long as it's PC+console then I don't care of it's exclusive, if it helps the dev with the economics and the game becomes better then I'd say it's great. The issues with exclusivity comes when a game which could've been everywhere is locked up on a console and forces us to accept 30fps with no way to improve the experience. That's not the case at all here, 60fps on XSX and a PC version for further improvements.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
What is it supposed to be like? Says something about an interconnected world, is it a bit metroid prime ish with horror and survival thrown in?

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Console exclusive?

There's a big difference between funding the exclusive development of a game that was never announced for consoles and moneyhatting franchises like Street Fighter, Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VIIR.

But it's obvious that you don't want to have a mature talk about it, you just want to be a troll.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

Ive felt the same way about street fighter 5 and shenume 3. I played both series to death, but then they became exclusives. Can't afford to upgrade my pc and have a console at the same time.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting this game and Xbox series X exclusive ? I need to buy series x day one then.. rip wallet lol

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I sent this trailer to my horror loving sister and her first question was "Will this be on gampass, Haha?" and I surprised her by saying YES.

Then I let her down saying it won't be on the One, and she will have to get a new system.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I sent this trailer to my horror loving sister and her first question was "Will this be on gampass, Haha?" and I surprised her by saying YES.

Then I let her down saying it won't be on the One, and she will have to get a new system.
I still don't have a clue how devs actually make money with Xbox Game Pass but I love that they aren't hesitant to put games there, best gaming service ever created. I'll be there day 1!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

The Steam specs seem pretty modest, what kind of rig are you rocking?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you targeting 60FPS for Scorn? Does that mean there'll be a lot of combat in the game, thus requiring smooth controls?

For PC players with keyboard and mouse 60FPS is simply a necessity. We also feel that responsiveness should be as important on consoles. It's the players direct communication with the game. Even if you are just talking about graphical fidelity, when a game runs at 30FPS you start losing the established details once the camera starts moving.
wccftech.com

Scorn Interview - Xbox Series X Is a 'Very Balanced System'; Trailer Was Running on an RTX 2080Ti

We talk to the Game Director of Scorn. He claims that the Xbox Series X is a very balanced system and clarifies the GPU used in the trailer.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I still don't have a clue how devs actually make money with Xbox Game Pass
The paycheck from Microsoft must be high enough to make it worthwhile, plus they're hoping Xbox users discussing the game will boost sales on Steam? Keep in mind visibility is the biggest challenge for (indie) devs nowadays.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Steam specs seem pretty modest, what kind of rig are you rocking?
Are the system requirements listed on Steam still valid? They seem a bit low considering the level of visuals seen in the new Scorn trailer.

Yes, system requirements are old and will go up a bit for PC.

wccftech.com

Scorn Interview - Xbox Series X Is a 'Very Balanced System'; Trailer Was Running on an RTX 2080Ti

We talk to the Game Director of Scorn. He claims that the Xbox Series X is a very balanced system and clarifies the GPU used in the trailer.