• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Getting some old school Popful Mail vibes.

(That's a Sega CD title for you young folks)

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
The opening cinematic looks great!
I really hope it gets well received by critics and fans alike.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Been following this for a while. It's my most anticipated indie game.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Not keen on the character art style or the low frame rate look, reminds me of the new Battletoads game. Hopefully the controls are tight.
Not sure what you mean by "low frame rate" as I'm pretty sure the game runs at 60 all the way through, at least the demos all have. The cutscenes are probably the only exception.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty obvious I was talking about the hand drawn character animations and not the framerate of the game itself.

You really think a 2d artist is going to draw 60frames per second of animation? You want 60 hand drawn frames per character per second... This has never been the case in the history of 2d sprites ever i am pretty sure.

This reminds of when totalbiscuit complained that Blazblue on pc didn't have variable frame-rates and only ran at 60fps....

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
October 8! Holy shit it's finally coming out. We've come a long way from that proof of concept demo.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You really think a 2d artist is going to draw 60frames per second of animation? You want 60 hand drawn frames per character per second... This has never been the case in the history of 2d sprites ever i am pretty sure.

This reminds of when totalbiscuit complained that Blazblue on pc didn't have variable frame-rates and only ran at 60fps....
Where the hell did I say I wanted 60 hand drawn frames a second? Just more than 10 would suffice. Cuphead got it totally spot on.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I dunno man, looking at the stuff they've shared on their website, the only thing I could see anyone taking issue with is the idle animations. You can't tell me these are "low frame rate":

ripple.gif

scorpiontail.gif

yan_super2_flashkick-1.gif

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Where the hell did I say I wanted 60 hand drawn frames a second? Just more than 10 would suffice. Cuphead got it totally spot on.

Cuphead was 2 chracters with few animations and like 20 boss stages. This is an entire JRPG with 20+ party characters alone not counting the enemy sprites.

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's fine. I notice you didn't answer my question though.

My point is that you're comparing apples to Oranges.

The entire reason the animation quality of cuphead is so high, is because there is actually very little of it in terms of scope of work. You're doing few really good animations vs MANY good enough animations. and as is pointed out, the quality of animation in indivisible is still quite darn good.

I don't think you know what you're looking at in terms of work being put on the screen.